4th Of July...do you feel American?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
4th Of July...do you feel American?

I love America and I do feel American in a "there are alot of great diverse things and great diverse people in it".

But, I don't feel American when some(not all) but some Christians try to treat this holiday as theirs.

How do you celibrate? Do you celibrate?

In any case, if you do chose to drink today, please chose a designated driver or call a cab. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll do what I always

I'll do what I always do.

I'll go be in a parade

I'll go have a barbecue

Then I'll go watch some fireworks, all the while reverently and quietly thinking over what some very brave people did 231 years ago and how I should do everything in my power to uphold that ideal of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

My country may not be perfect, but its my country, and while I may hate what its doing now, I love what it stood for and what it still must stand for.

I'll also be thankful for the foresight that the founders had when they wrote the constitution to be (somewhat) idiot proof.

I agree that it bothers me that christians try to claim this holiday as theirs, and conservatives try to claim that you can only be a patriot if you are as bloodthirsty and insane as they are.

but I know that I am a patriot just like them (probably moreso,) and so is the rest of the country. And for one day at least, everyone will celebrate that patriotism.

sorry if thats kinda rambly..its early and I have to go to a parade...

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
My family gets together for

My family gets together for a cookout, and we read the Declaration of Independence aloud.  I invite all of you to do so today.  However, instead of reading the wrongs listed as those of a long dead king, read them thinking of our current president.  You should feel a little uncomfortable and see that the 39 men who signed it would be gravely disappointed in all of us.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I celebrate the 4th of July

I celebrate the 4th of July the same as I do any other holiday:

I get trashed, I eat too much food, and I set shit on fire.

God [sic] bless America. 

Frich
User is offlineOffline
DITTO

Jarem Asyder wrote:

I'll do what I always do.

I'll go be in a parade

I'll go have a barbecue

Then I'll go watch some fireworks, all the while reverently and quietly thinking over what some very brave people did 231 years ago and how I should do everything in my power to uphold that ideal of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

My country may not be perfect, but its my country, and while I may hate what its doing now, I love what it stood for and what it still must stand for.

I'll also be thankful for the foresight that the founders had when they wrote the constitution to be (somewhat) idiot proof.

I agree that it bothers me that christians try to claim this holiday as theirs, and conservatives try to claim that you can only be a patriot if you are as bloodthirsty and insane as they are.

but I know that I am a patriot just like them (probably moreso,) and so is the rest of the country. And for one day at least, everyone will celebrate that patriotism.

sorry if thats kinda rambly..its early and I have to go to a parade...

I like that.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
[rant on]  I do not

[rant on] 

I do not celebrate.  I stay home and keep an eye out the windows.  My neighborhood (even though there are very few children) sounds like a war zone.

I have to do guard duty against the reprobates across the street who illegally shoot off fireworks in the street.  They land on houses, in trees and on top of cars . It just makes me crazy worrying about something catching on fire.... like MY house.

Although personal fireworks are illegal within the city limits, the police do not come if called and every year the emergency rooms are full of people who end up with permanent injuries from being reckless with fireworks. 

What I don't understand is parents purchasing fireworks for their children to shoot within the city limits knowing full well that it's illegal.

What's that teaching the children? 

[/rant off]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Frich!

Tell us a little about yourself. 

Weristgott
User is offlineOffline
I honestly don't have much

I honestly don't have much patriatism (sp?). But like christmas and my lack of faith, I still celebrate. Usually involves a family cookout. And culminating in the town's firework display (which is the best in the area). Just another reason to (as was said before) eat to much, and set things on fire.

This year was kinda different. I'm sitting in Germany on study abroad. So really the only reason I realized what day it was, was I asked some German guy what the date was so I could write it on my notes. Then was kinda like "oh really? hm..." and that was that. 

I did however get plastered that night. But that had nothing to do with the date.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I've lost all reminents of

I've lost all reminents of patrotism that i had, because of sicko. I see no reason to be a Proud american. if someone could show me a reason i might be but until then nope not proud of it. In fact i'm almost asshamed

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
a good reason is not to

a good reason is not to give up on your country. Being a patriot doesnt' mean blindly loving your country and worshipping it, thats nationalism. A true patriot is someone who, to take the sicko example, sees this horrible mockery of healthcare and medicine and does something proactive. Protesters are patriots, grassroots organizers are patriots. Being ashamed of your country isn't a bad thing in itself, but when it leads to apathy it is. I get sick and tired of hearing people say they'll just move away or they wont vote because it doesn't matter. You have a voice, even if it seems like a single tiny voice, its still more than many many other people around the world have.

Don't be apathetic, be a patriot and do what you can to make your country a better place for everyone.  

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OH i'm far from apathetic. I

OH i'm far from apathetic. I vote in absolutely every election. I try to do everything i can. I geuss i meant more of a "tradtional" partiotism.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I usually do a bit of fire

I usually do a bit of fire works or hang out with friends, but this year I had work and was a bit tired for it all. America isn't really about flags, fire works, and hot dogs though so I don't really feel unamerican for not doing much. Questioning my government for a minute is more american then then a day of uncle sam, bbqs, and pledge bullshit.

Maybe if people started reading the constitution on the forth instead of sing the Star Spangled Banner our country would be better off...