wrestler-turned-murderer Chris Benoit a religious nut?

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
wrestler-turned-murderer Chris Benoit a religious nut?

I just happened upon this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070628/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead

"...Benoit strangled his wife and son during the weekend, placing Bibles next to their bodies, before hanging himself on the cable of a weight-machine in his home..."

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure it was

I'm pretty sure it was because of 'roid rage'

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gotta agree with Pineapple, I think it is being attributed to roid rage and depression. 

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am not saying the murders

I am not saying the murders were in any way motivated by religion, but WTF? Putting Bibles next to your family members' corpses after you strangle them? That's fucked up.

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What makes you think this? All drugs found at his house were legally prescribed and a Doctor gave him testerone the day before this all happened.

It seems easy to say it was a roid rage with him being a wrestler(not saying you think that) But WWE has a wellness policy in place since another famous wrestler died last year. On April 10 Benoit tested negative for any steroids.

Could it be roid rage? Yes, but the toxicology report hasn't been revealed yet so I don't see how speculation can make one sure in this matter.

As for religious nut I'm not too sure. He is Canadien and I personally expect them to be on average more secular than Americans. And he never expressed any beliefs in all the years I've been watching wrestling.(on and off)

I don't see how anyone attributing it to roid rage before any reports come back is sound journalism.  

I suck at signatures.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
daveyboy wrote: I am not

daveyboy wrote:

I am not saying the murders were in any way motivated by religion, but WTF? Putting Bibles next to your family members' corpses after you strangle them? That's fucked up.

Well, if your a believer and you just killed them it seems like an appropriate thing to do. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What makes you think this? All drugs found at his house were legally prescribed and a Doctor gave him testerone the day before this all happened.

It seems easy to say it was a roid rage with him being a wrestler(not saying you think that) But WWE has a wellness policy in place since another famous wrestler died last year. On April 10 Benoit tested negative for any steroids.

Could it be roid rage? Yes, but the toxicology report hasn't been revealed yet so I don't see how speculation can make one sure in this matter.

As for religious nut I'm not too sure. He is Canadien and I personally expect them to be on average more secular than Americans. And he never expressed any beliefs in all the years I've been watching wrestling.(on and off)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/28/bc.wrestlerdead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, leading officials to wonder whether the drugs played a role in the killings. Some experts believe steroids cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't say the steroids

It doesn't say the steroids were illegal. Wrestlers have been prescribed them in the past for various injuries. Not only that but no where in this article does it say the roids were in his system.

Listen, I'm not claiming it wasn't roid rage, but without the proper information it's all speculation and that's cool. Being sure however bothers me.

I don't see reasonably how you can be sure. That's all, nothing personal, especially since I wouldn't be surprised if you turn out to be right 

I suck at signatures.

Blackthorn
Blackthorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really understand

I don't really understand how it could have been an act of rage, since he strangled his wife with a cord on Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday.  Not only that, but he sent 5 text messages to his coworkers listing his address and saying that his dogs were in an enclosed area and that the door was unlocked, before he hung himself.  All of that indicates deliberation, not rage.

In any case it's a horrible turn of events, and a shock to me personally, as I was a fan of his in-ring work, and never would have expected this...

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard they were saying it

I heard they were saying it was roid rage, the bibile thing is news to me.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blackthorn wrote: I don't

Blackthorn wrote:

I don't really understand how it could have been an act of rage, since he strangled his wife with a cord on Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday. Not only that, but he sent 5 text messages to his coworkers listing his address and saying that his dogs were in an enclosed area and that the door was unlocked, before he hung himself. All of that indicates deliberation, not rage.

In any case it's a horrible turn of events, and a shock to me personally, as I was a fan of his in-ring work, and never would have expected this...

I hadn't even thought of that. some Detective I'd be. 

I suck at signatures.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
While steroids do cause

While steroids do cause "roid rage", there are a host of other emotional/psycological problems associated with individuals taking steroids.

Emotional effects

Steroids also can have the following effects on the mind and behavior:

• "Roid rage" - severe, aggressive behavior that may result in violence, such as fighting or destroying property
  • Severe mood swings
  • Hallucinations - seeing or hearing things that are not really there
  • Paranoia - extreme feelings of mistrust and fear
  • Anxiety and panic attacks
  • Depression and thoughts of suicide
  • An angry, hostile, or irritable mood

from here: http://www.aap.org/family/steroids.htm

When I coached hockey and football I had a number of kids approach me about taking steroids to improve their game. Not only is that a false premise, but just listing off the problems with taking these things was enough to deter them from taking steroids. Heck, what 16 year old boy wants his junk shrunk? 

There are two seasons in Canada, Hockey season and not-Hockey season.

Canada: 16% Atheist and growing.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a wrestling fan, I can

As a wrestling fan, I can tell you that Benoit became religious after another wrestler (and one of his best friends), Eddue Guerrero died.

His son that he murdered had also been diagnosed with "Fragile X" syndrome - which shows itself by a small build, high-level retardation and autistic tendencies.

Too bad there wasn't a suicide note.  The Bibles weren't opened to anything in particular, as far as my research goes. 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently someone had

Apparently someone had edited his wikipedia entry to say something to the effect that he missed his latest pay per view match due to the death of his wife.

Thing is, Wikipedia says the entry was changed fourteen hours before his body was found, and from an IP address at or near the WWE headquarters. 

I believe they said its probably a coincidence, but its a freaky coincidence. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion doesn't explain

Religion doesn't explain this tragedy. Chris was an awesome wrestler and an awesome guy. What happened that day is totally fucked up. And totally out of character.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    What may have

What may have happened is that he started to confuse his character and himself (does seem to happen to wrestlers, specially those that have taken or are on roids.) At least this is what Bruce Hart is saying from what he saw the last time he met with Chris. Although a tragidy, he did take the steriods willingly, however the WWE probably is guilty of indirect or direct encouragement of the drug. But who knows.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I like what Joe Laurinaitis (Road Warrior Animal and a friend of Benoit's) said about he "roid rage" possibility.

"I've never seen a roid rage that went for two days" 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Urbanredd wrote: Heck,

Urbanredd wrote:

Heck, what 16 year old boy wants his junk shrunk? 

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I would be mad too if I had a tiny penis.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien