Why Germany Hates Tom Cruise

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Germany Hates Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise may suit up nicely as an American flying ace or an acrobatic crime buster, but when it comes to portraying Germany's most beloved anti-Nazi, Germans would prefer a different actor, bitte. Cruise is due to play German officer Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg, celebrated for trying to kill Hitler in 1944, but the German Defense Ministry has warned that if Cruise gets the role, Ministry sites will be off-limits to the filmmakers. The reason? Because Cruise, as the Defense Ministry puts it, "has publically professed to being a member of the Scientology cult."

"Stauffenberg played an imporant role in the military resistance against the Nazi regime," a Ministry of Defense spokesman explained Wednesday , adding that "a sincere and respectful depiction of the events of July 20 [the failed plot to assassinate Hitler] is therefore very much in our interest. Tom Cruise, with his Scientology background, is not the right person for this." Ursula Cabreta, director of a government-sponsored group that monitors Scientologist activities in Germany was more blunt. She called the selection of Cruise to play the role of von Stauffenberg a "scandal."

more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I support freedom of religion, but I side with Germany on this one. Ive done a lot of reading and watching of videos to know that Scientology is nothing but a money making cult that causes lasting psychological affects on its victims.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought it would have had

I thought it would have had to do with the fact that he doesn't sing as well as Hasselhoff.

But honestly, his religious notions have nothing to do with his abilities as an actor. Refusing to deal with him solely on religious grounds is... well, just as irrational as his beliefs.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about what roles Tom Cruise is being cast in, who is going to be cast to play the role of Stauffenberg, or really anything involving Germany.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Germany's reluctance to

Germany's reluctance to have him there has to do with his association with the cult, not his acting ability. Perhaps they fear he will draw in more recruits, plus the fact they've had troubles with the organization in the past.   

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: Germany's

rab wrote:

Germany's reluctance to have him there has to do with his association with the cult, not his acting ability.

Which is exactly why it is irrational for them to be outraged. 

Quote:
Perhaps they fear he will draw in more recruits, plus the fact they've had troubles with the organization in the past.

Tom Cruise couldn't recruit an orange. Not even a very dull one.

Honestly, I'm a little miffed about the whole ordeal. It's comparable to the U.S. government deciding it didn't want a Muslim coming into the country, because we've had troubles with Islam in the past, and he might recruit people. Granted, the comparison isn't exactly valid, given that Islam is an actual religion, and not a cult, but I imagine some people on this site don't draw the line that way.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
This has to get my "SHUT UP

This has to get my "SHUT UP YOU CRYBABY AWARD" meaning aimed at Germany.

Didnt Hitler have people "monitored". You'd think a country that suffered the effects of a delusional prick would understand trying to obtain "purity" is a stupid concept.

Hey crouts, dont get me wrong. I think Scientology is a silly made up religion, but then again, I think they all are. 

BUT, I have to side with Tom on this. To deny him this is an extreemly stupid reason. And if you want to be everything, as a country oposite of Hitler, and I would hope you would, then dont censor Tom simply because you dont like his religion.

Tom has been a PC censor naizi himself threating Comedy Central allong with his whimp cohort Issac Hayes who seemed to have no problem making fun of everyone else untill they got to Sceintology.

Please Germany, don't backslide into censorhip. Dont buy pollitically correct garbage. Your country was saved from a censor nazi and paranoid idiot who "monitored" his foes.

No one is asking you to like Tom. But if he is not commiting any crimes, let him make the movie. Grow up and realize that not all 6 billion people on this planet will believe the same thing and you wont always like what someone else believes.

But as a government, it is a bad idea to censor someone simply because you dont like what they believe. Hitler did that, please dont backlside into that.

To any Germans reading this, encourage your government to allow Tom to make the movie.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I applaud any country that

I applaud any country that tells Tom Cruise," No, you are just too fucking crazy for our country.  We created the Third Reich, but you are still just too much of a nutball for us.  We saw you jump on the couch on Oprah, heard about your crazy silent birthing technique, understand that you believe that alien's spirits are entombed on Earth, made a movie about giant aliens who can travel intergalactically but can't find Fort Knox.  We just don't need that level of crazy effecting our society."

In fact, we should force Tom to go over there, and perhaps the Germans would come up with a final solution for him.  I mean, do we really want him around scaring children and buying his way into his crazy heaven? 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgive me, but am I the

Forgive me, but am I the only one that finds this funny?  You know its bad when an entire country just kinda says, "Huh?  You believe in WHAT?!?!"  I agree with Germany, I wouldn't want Cruise playing a beloved historical figure either.... but that's because he does some bad acting... and he's crazy.... a religion started by L. Ron Hubbard... that's one too many sci-fi channel re-runs.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I kind of agree to given

I kind of agree to given some of the cult's pratices - such as suing people that publicly criticize them.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I applaud any

Nero wrote:

I applaud any country that tells Tom Cruise," No, you are just too fucking crazy for our country.  We created the Third Reich, but you are still just too much of a nutball for us.  We saw you jump on the couch on Oprah, heard about your crazy silent birthing technique, understand that you believe that alien's spirits are entombed on Earth, made a movie about giant aliens who can travel intergalactically but can't find Fort Knox.  We just don't need that level of crazy effecting our society."

In fact, we should force Tom to go over there, and perhaps the Germans would come up with a final solution for him.  I mean, do we really want him around scaring children and buying his way into his crazy heaven? 

Nero, you are my hero (hey! that rhymes).  This is too funny.

Ok, in all seriousness, I really think that Germany's track record as far as picking on people because of their religion isn't exactly great.

I could see them saying they didn't want Tom Cruise to play because he's a bad actor.  Hell, I would accept it if they wanted somone of German nationality to play the character.  However, it's pretty irrational and stupid for them to deny Cruise because of his cult connection. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to agreee with the

I have to agreee with the above sentiments. Tom Cruise doesn't bug me because he's a scientologist (okay, he DOES bug me because of that, but then I can always choose not to listen to his nonsensical ramblings.) If you dont want him to play a German hero because of acting talent or lack thereof then fine, but leave his crazy religion out of it. It will just give scientologists another reason to get pissy at the rest of the world and ramble on about Xenu and thetas and whatever, and I hear enough about fake religions as is. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: Forgive

Wishkah311 wrote:
Forgive me, but am I the only one that finds this funny? You know its bad when an entire country just kinda says, "Huh? You believe in WHAT?!?!" I agree with Germany, I wouldn't want Cruise playing a beloved historical figure either.... but that's because he does some bad acting... and he's crazy.... a religion started by L. Ron Hubbard... that's one too many sci-fi channel re-runs.

Wishkah - you read my mind!  

This would only be funnier if Germany retracted the statement and say "No really, we don't want him to do it because he sucks as an actor."  Maybe they thought they were being nice by saying it the way they did. 

Loucks
Loucks's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scientology doesn't even

Scientology doesn't even technically qualify as a "cult" in Germany. The German government, as I understand it, doesn't consider the organization a religion, but rather a for-profit business.

All that aside, I see no problem with Germany's refusal to allow access to their sites. I doubt very much that Germany guarantees access to Ministry sites to actors of any belief system. Those who react as if the Germans (or "Krauts." Try to spell your slurs correctly at the very least, Brian37.) are firing up the ovens are overreacting to a total non-issue.

Details of my timeout are posted here.

TheUnknown
TheUnknown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don’t see a problem.

I don’t see a problem. Scientology is crazy and if the people feel uncomfortable with that its their thing. I don’t want Tom Cruise playing an important German role and I couldn’t care less about my country. Its simply a boycott of crazy. We do the same thing with racism. There is and should be no tolerance for it. That being said there is violence and something like that would be unthinkable. So linking a possible boycott of Cruise with the second world war and Hitler is absurd and insulting.

Memento Mori...

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see no issues with this.

I see no issues with this. In the recent past, Tom "I Can'T Act" Cruise has made himself synonymous with Scientology.

He's had Scientology clinics on the set of atleast one movie, he's been an outspoken proponent of the 'religion.' He's even been seen as a recruiter for Scientology.

Germany's government has made no bones about how it views Scientology - a commercial business. They are suspicious of Scientology's human rites and possible anti-government stances.

Given the fact that Cruise has made himself into Scientology's salesman, I think that the German government has the right to protest by cutting him off from govermnet controlled sites.

Does this mean he can't make the movie? Nope. Building sets is a long time Hollywood tradition. Odds are they'll settle for not being on the authentic sites and instead shoot somewhere else.

All this is a protest on the poor choice of leading actor and his poor choice of a belief system.

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
I treat all metaphysical

I treat all metaphysical beliefs equally, god, zues and zenu all the same to me. Its ridiculous for them to take a stance against this one particular ridiculous religion/self help program. If scientology is like if weight watchers decided to say that it has a god. Its a group that you pay money to belong and move up, the only difference is that it says there is some sorta metaphysical element. Ridiculous