Weirdosity at a Small-Town Gym Pool

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weirdosity at a Small-Town Gym Pool

The inbred nature of my community never ceases to amaze me. Some people really love our small town for just that reason. Since I was born here, raised fundy and became an atheist, it sometimes isn't quite so attractive to me, but whatcha gonna do? .........

In small-town America, it's impossible to not overhear conversations. It's especially impossible to not overhear conversations about god, Jeebus, Christian Heights Church, Heart Rock Cafe (Christian coffee shop...what else?), Sierra Bible Church, Chapel in the Pines, ad nauseum. I'm learning to just ignore it all and go about my business. At some point I would like to minister to the crazy people in this town, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Hey, they've been after me all these years. I think it's time I returned the favor. Smiling

A few years ago, after my atheist position solidified, Dan Barker (who became an ordained minister in this county) and I had an e-mail exchange. Mr. Barker, now an avid atheist, is heavily involved with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. He inquired after several people he'd known in this area and I knew or knew of almost all of them. One of the pastors he'd known had died of a brain tumor. I think he'd already heard the news from someone else.

Weirdosity.

Tonight I dragged my mother to the gymnasium pool to teach her how to snorkel. She's heading off to Hawaii in a few days. Considering her great fear of water, I really doubt she'll do much (any?) snorkeling, but hey, it was fun. We actually had a pretty good time.

Until the past few years I had never done much swimming, but LASIK surgery made it possible for me to snorkel and I found I really love the water. I need to become more familiar with it, but I absolutely love it! My mother commented, "It really surprised me when you took up snorkeling because I've always been terrified of the water."

Hmmm. What's wrong with that statement?

My mother still expects me to be an extension of herself. Unfortunately for her, I turned out to be my own person. I'm musically and artistically inclined; she is not. I love nature and wildlife; she does not. I love animals; she does not. She loves to be feminine; I do not. She's interested in genealogy; I am not. I am interested in endless learning; she is not. I love to explore the world as it is; she does not. She's a rabid, right-wing lunatic; I am not. She wanted me to give her grandkids; I did not. She tried to make me a fundamentalist Christian...but I am not.

Weirdosity. Sad

As we paddled about the pool I overheard an Hispanic man tell about his horrible day at work. It doesn't get much worse than this: A young man he worked with--the 27-year-old son of a local pastor--keeled over dead right in front of him. The kid took a couple of breaths. His eyes rolled back into his head and he flopped over, dead. They tried CPR, but no go. Sad On top of everything else, everyone had to stay at work. I'm going to guess it was some kind of extremely important job like law enforcement.

A nearby lady commiserated. "God called him home," she said. "It was his time. We'll have to pray for his family."

Ooooooooo...that sounds so, so, SOFA KING STUPID!

I realize the people close to this young man are hurting, but to say that he's in heaven, that it was his time, that it was god's will...it just pisses me off! Praying for the family? What a fucking joke. It doesn't do anyone any good, except for the person who prays, maybe. That way the pray-er can feel like he or she did something to help without doing squat. Okay, maybe he or she did squat if that was the actual position of prayer. Eye-wink

No, it wasn't god's will. It was probably a fucking aneurysm, as the Hispanic man postulated.

And how will the Christians justify the death of a pastor's son? If god loved that pastor, his son wouldn't have keeled over dead at 27. Fuck, I'm almost 40. Where does the time go? You graduate from high school, turn around...and suddenly you're face to face with the big 4-0. Where does the time go? This preacher's son, this kid, this child, did not have enough time. He died too young. It's horribly sad. And no, it was not god's will.

It was weirdosity.

I paddled around a little more, making sure my mother didn't drown in three-and-a-half feet of water. I made sure my mouth stayed absofuckinglutely shut because the event of a tragic death is not the appropriate time to open your atheist mouth and stick your atheist foot in it. I swam under a couple of lane lines and did ten minutes of laps. When I came back, my mom overheard one of the nice Christian ladies talking about Christian Heights.

"Oh, you're a Christian?" gurgled my mother. "I thought I knew you from somewhere. I go to...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

"Oh, really!?" effervesced the Christian lady. "Well, Heart Rock Cafe blah blah blah. Christian Heights blah blah blah blah blah. God blah blah blah blah blah Jesus blah!"

"Well blah, BLAH, BLAH!" exclaimed my mother.

Then something caught my ear. "A few years ago I had an aneurysm," said the Christian lady. "It was only by the grace of god that I'm alive and talking and swimming today. At first I couldn't walk and my memory's shot, but by the grace of god, I'm here."

Let's see if I have this right. The 27-year-old son of a pastor keeled over dead, probably because of a burst aneurysm, and it was god's will. An older lady survived her burst aneurysm because of the grace of god. Anyone else seeing a problem with this logic?

Weirdosity city!

I wished for a stapler to keep my stupid atheist hole from mouthing off.

___

For the past several days I've neglected to practice music and for some reason as I sat in the hot tub after my swim, I felt like bursting into song. I started singing what I could remember of the recitative and aria Che faro senza Euridice? The bald man who shared the tub was amused, but not overly so.

After the hot tub, I turned on the shower next to the pool and started shampooing my hair. "Hey Mom," I said. "Look! I'm singing in the shower...Che faro senza Euridice? Che faro senza il mio ben! Che faro! Dove andro? Che faro senza il mio ben! Dove andro senza il mio ben! Euridice! Euridice! Oh Dio, rispondi...ri-spo-o-o-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-On-di...hehe...that's the wrong key. My teacher says I'm a mezzo soprano, but I still feel like an alto."

At that moment I noticed there was exactly one person in the pool...and it looked like...no. No fucking way. It couldn't be. The person turned her head and it was...it was my voice teacher!

Oh shit!

Here I was, acting like a total doof, singing in the shower in the wrong key, commenting on how my voice teacher was trying to turn me into a mezzo-soprano and there she was.

"Oh shit!" I exclaimed (the fundies had all left). "Here I am at 9 p.m. singing in the shower with exactly one person in the pool and who is that person? It's my voice teacher! I don't fucking believe it."

"Hi Laura," she said (amused as hell, I'll bet). I started turning interesting shades of magenta and fuschia. At least, that's what it felt like.

We shot the breeze, exclaiming over the beauty and brilliance of Venus in the night sky. (Why is it looking so brilliant, BGH? My voice teacher wants to know and so do I.)

The bald dude from the hot tub started our way. He had earbuds on, but I stopped him. "Sir...sir...excuse me." He tore out an earbud, puzzled. I pointed at the lone swimmer in the pool. "Do you know who that woman is?" He adopted an even more puzzled expression. "That person is my voice teacher. Here I am, singing in the shower and the only person within earshot just happens to be my voice teacher."

The bald man and my voice teacher both laughed and after a couple of minutes left me the sole occupant of the pool area. As I started collecting my gear, a giggle erupted, then a more pronounced chuckle. A belly laugh. And then I couldn't stop. I laughed and laughed and laughed, thinking to myself, "Man, only you, Laura. ONLY YOU!" My mother had gone ahead to warm up the car. I collapsed into the vehicle laughing so hard I thought I'd die. Mom tried to shush me, but I could not be shushed.

TOTAL WEIRDOSITY. ......

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
I just read that entire

I just read that entire post. 

1.) It beat refuting a ridiculous, simplistic, copy and paste theistic argument yet one more time.

2.)It's always seemed to me that the most intelligent and creative people always seem to be the same ones who notice the oddities of the people and the world around them.

I experience the same frustrated feelings around theists but I'm sorry none the less.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was this guy I knew

There was this guy I knew when I was about 12 years old. He was a friend of the family, and he and his pregnant wife and his 18 month old kid were moving back in-state so that he could get a job as a state cop. He used to hang out with me, and we would sit around and play video games. He was really cool. But when he was training for the state police force, he suffered from congestive heart failure and died. He wasn't even running the training course - he had already finished and was cheering the next group on, and he just dropped dead.

Last week I had the opportunity to visit his wife and her two children. They are 7 and 8 years old. It was really weird for me. The kids were both really sweet, but I couldn't help feel incredibly morose when I was around them. I did my best to hide my discomfort, though. The way I see it, they all have it hard enough.

I wouldn't give credit or blame to any god for what happened to those people. Sometimes life just takes a gigantic shit on people for no reason at all. And in a way, I kind of think that's a bit sadder than blaming God. At least God is supposed to have a plan. Life doesn't have plans. Reality doesn't create purpose. It seems to me that purposeful suffering is more tolerable than purposeless suffering, and that's why I think that the belief in gods, the supernatural, and objective purpose will continue to fly in the face of reason and reality. Some people, at their core, really really don't want to accept the fact that some people will have to suffer for no reason at all.

Weirdosity. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: I just

AmericanIdle wrote:

I just read that entire post.

Wow, thanks!  I'm glad someone waded through it. Smiling 

AmericanIdle wrote:
1.) It beat refuting a ridiculous, simplistic, copy and paste theistic argument yet one more time.

Well, a lot of things could beat that. Eye-wink 

AmericanIdle wrote:
2.)It's always seemed to me that the most intelligent and creative people always seem to be the same ones who notice the oddities of the people and the world around them.

Thanks again. Smiling 

AmericanIdle wrote:
I experience the same frustrated feelings around theists but I'm sorry none the less.

At times I'm able to more easily brush it off.  Other times...well, not so much.  

Tonight was living.  Tonight was life.  Tonight was tragedy and laughter, pain and pleasure.  Feeling all those things in equal measure is what life is all about.  

If only I could remember that always. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

There was this guy I knew when I was about 12 years old. He was a friend of the family, and he and his pregnant wife and his 18 month old kid were moving back in-state so that he could get a job as a state cop. He used to hang out with me, and we would sit around and play video games. He was really cool. But when he was training for the state police force, he suffered from congestive heart failure and died. He wasn't even running the training course - he had already finished and was cheering the next group on, and he just dropped dead.

Last week I had the opportunity to visit his wife and her two children. They are 7 and 8 years old. It was really weird for me. The kids were both really sweet, but I couldn't help feel incredibly morose when I was around them. I did my best to hide my discomfort, though. The way I see it, they all have it hard enough.

I wouldn't give credit or blame to any god for what happened to those people. Sometimes life just takes a gigantic shit on people for no reason at all. And in a way, I kind of think that's a bit sadder than blaming God. At least God is supposed to have a plan. Life doesn't have plans. Reality doesn't create purpose. It seems to me that purposeful suffering is more tolerable than purposeless suffering, and that's why I think that the belief in gods, the supernatural, and objective purpose will continue to fly in the face of reason and reality. Some people, at their core, really really don't want to accept the fact that some people will have to suffer for no reason at all.

Weirdosity.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  We all want there to be some meaning to the crappy things that happen to us, but life doesn't work that way.  I sometimes wish someone had told me that when I was younger.  It might have saved me a lot of grief.

Shit happens.  We all deal with it the best we can.  We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and try again.  Sometimes I think we could all be happier if we would just admit there isn't a reason why bad things happen, admit that there doesn't appear to be some divine plan and HELP each other through it instead of mouth religious platitudes and prayers.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fascinating story

Fascinating story Iruka.

Sometimes religion can be the best way for someone to overcome berievement. It might be completely stupid. But as a short term remedy it might be good. Just like opium in medicine, you just have to find a way to get them unhooked when it's no longer needed.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Iruka! Great post and

Hi Iruka!

Great post and great to see you back. I feel your pain with the fundies, the holy janitor was up to some funny stuff yesterday. LOL

To answer your question about Venus:

This is a great time to view the planet because it is moving closer to the sun and closer to the earth at the same time. On top of this when you see the planet in the evening sky it is on an approach of moving between the sun and earth. Also, Venus is covered with brilliantly white clouds that reflect much of the sun's light.

I hope that helps, if not let me know and I will try to give you a better explanation. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow!  Weirdosity and an

Wow! 

Weirdosity and an astronomy lesson in the same thread - and it's not even off-topic.

Where else but the RRS!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Hi Iruka! Great

BGH wrote:

Hi Iruka!

Great post and great to see you back. I feel your pain with the fundies, the holy janitor was up to some funny stuff yesterday. LOL

To answer your question about Venus:

This is a great time to view the planet because it is moving closer to the sun and closer to the earth at the same time. On top of this when you see the planet in the evening sky it is on an approach of moving between the sun and earth. Also, Venus is covered with brilliantly white clouds that reflect much of the sun's light.

I hope that helps, if not let me know and I will try to give you a better explanation.

Thanks BGH!  You're the best!  I will pass the info on to my voice teacher...better late than never, eh?

I must admit that my knowledge of astronomy / cosmology is woefully inadequate.  I remember the most important things like the names of the planets, their order (I think), that Pluto is no longer considered a planet, the nearest galaxy and the nearest star (I think).  I'm more interested in life sciences.

I have this HUGE list of books I want (and can't afford), but if / when I get around to it, what's a good introductory book to astronomy / cosmology.  Heck, you can name a few. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I have this HUGE list of books I want (and can't afford), but if / when I get around to it, what's a good introductory book to astronomy / cosmology. Heck, you can name a few.

Well you can't really go wrong with anything from,

Neil Degrasse Tyson 

or

debunking of astronomy myths 

Bad Astronomy 

or

for beauty

Hubble Space Telescope: New Views of the Universe

Through the Eyes of Hubble: The Birth, Life, and Violent Death of Stars

or

more basic

Astronomy For Dummies 

A Skywatcher's Year

or

for interesting read about the discovery of exosolar planets

PLANET QUEST: The Epic Discovery of Alien Solar Systems

or

there are also podcasts, dvd's and a lot of free materials out there, if you want some of those links just ask.