Musical Tastes

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musical Tastes

What does everyone here like?  What are your favorite artists?  What music do you hate most of all?  What is your favorite song?  Do you make any music yourself?  What would you recommend to everyone else?

I'll start: 

I love rap/hip-hop, but mostly not what is on the radio.  Rap in my opinion is in a depression right now, so I keep it old school right now.  Oh, and I hate Country.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I like all kinds of music -

I like all kinds of music - only stuff I really hate is anything with a lot of bass and anything with lots of electronic sounds (like Techno.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lets see my musical

Lets see my musical collection consists of, classical, gregorian chants, Rock, heavy metal, dance, techno, drum and bass, some pop, hip hop, tango, jazz, blues, soul, neo soul, acid jazz, trance, folk and country (ok it's johnny cash i mean seriously its the man in black everyone has to have at least one of his albums)

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes I really have to

Sometimes I really have to search, but I can usually find something good to listen to in any genre. If I have to pin it down, I really love punk, hip hop, old R&B and ska. At the moment I'm listening to Greydon Square's debut album, "The Compton Effect"

I play guitar and bass. I've been in various bands for about 10 years. Most of them have been punk and ska. I played bass for a friends country band once, that was pretty boring, and I recorded some guitar for a friend who does hip hop. At the moment I'm trying to fuse my love of punk, ska, and hip hop into something.

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
Pre-78 Pink Floyd is my

Pre-78 Pink Floyd is my absolute favorite. The stuff with Syd Barrett and Syd's solo albums are the best. I like newer Floyd as well, but it doesn't compare to the old stuff.

Jethro Tull - The older the better. "We Used To Know" from the album "Stand Up" is my favorite song period.

I also like Bad Religion, Union 13, various not so well known punk and ska bands, MC Breed, funky Flint rap (Top Authority, Dayton Family etc..) beats, but not most of the lyrics.

I hate country music with every fiber of my being. I hate techno almost as much.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a huge fan of

I'm not a huge fan of Greydon - I find him to be an average rapper with average production.  He's not bad, he's just not good.  My farorite rappers/groups:  Talib Kweli, Jedi Mind Tricks, CunninLynguists, Kanye West, Mos Def, Chamillionaire, A Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5, Army of the Pharoahs, Big L, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, old Eminem, Outkast, Rakim, KRS-One

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love: Pop/Punk, Punk, Ska,

Love: Pop/Punk, Punk, Ska, Rock, Alt Punk, Pop Tenor Stuff...
Hate: Hip Hop, Rap, Reggaeton, most R&B.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love: Rock, Indie,

Love: Rock, Indie, Experimental/Avant Garde, Folk (Experimental and Traditional), Electronica, Classical, Punk, New Wave, Blues, Soul, Hip Hop (the good stuff), Drum 'n' Bass, Prog, Old RnB (Rhythm and Blues).

Indifferent to: Metal

Hate: Dance, RnB (as in the new sort, Rhyme and Beats or whatever it stands for), Really Fuck off Cheesy 80s, Mass produced pop (you know who you are Britney!), Pseudo-punk-rock (as in Blink 182, Sum 41 etc, I do like Greenday though).

I'm also a musician, I play a fair few gigs around the city of Lancaster, I have a Myspace www.myspace.com/jacobcordingley if you wanna check it out. There'll be an album at the end of the summer. I'd also recommend bands like Sigur Ros and Muse. Absolutely fantastic! Also check out Fear of Music, I used to be mates with a couple of them in my teenage years and they're like all Sony BMG'd up these days.  

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
love: thrash/speed/black

love: thrash/speed/black metal, 80's metal, anything by Mike Patton.

like: alt rock, punk/pop, old school rap(public enemy, ice cube)

dislike: hiphop, r&b, dance, folk, oldies

indifferent: industrial/techno, world, goth rock

hate: country/western 

favorite artist: tie between Slayer and Mike Patton 

favorite song: always changing, but for now we'll call it a tie between slayer's "reign in blood", jeffrey gaines' "hero in me" and peeping tom's "mojo". 

yup, i also write and record my own stuff, see link below.  

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can you say "can of worms"?

Can you say "can of worms"? LOL.

Let's see, here are some of my favorites:

Punk / Hardcore - Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, The GC5, Bad Religion, The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, Flogging Molly, Broken Bones, The Bruisers, Cock Sparrer, The Ramones, Agent Orange, GBH, Fugazi, Minor Threat, Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards, The Real McKenzies, Social Distortion, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Agnostic Front, Anti-Heros, Dayglo Abortions, Street Dogs, AFI, Ballydowse, Blood For Blood, Operation Ivy, Blood Or Whiskey, The Pogues..... and much more.

Country - Johnny Cash, The Highwaymen, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam... not a lot of favorites here.

Classic Rock - Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Elton john, Steve Miller Band, CCR, The Eagles, Queen, The Beatles, Rush, The Who, Supertramp, Jimmy Buffet, Fleetwood Mac, 38 Special, Styx, Foreigner, Pat Benetar, Peter Gabriel, REO Speedwagon... and much more.

Rap - Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Ice Cube, Ice T, De La Soul, Da Lynch Mob, Run DMC, Chuck D, NWA, Cypress Hill, Erik B. & Rakim, Bloodhound Gang, The Transplants.... and many others.

Jazz - Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Nora Jones, John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Soulive.... and a few more.

Pop Punk / Alternative - Green Day, Blink 182, The Offspring, Concrete Blonde, Depeche Mode, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Against Me, Alice In Chains, Cake, They Might Be Giants, The Cure, Everclear, Foo Fighters, REM, Janes Addiction, Material Issue, U2, Ministry, No Doubt, INXS, Reverend Horton Heat, Violent Femmes.... and a few more.

Swing / Swing Punk - Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Bobby Darin.... and many more.

Pop - Black Eyed Peas, Lily Allen, and a few others.

Metal / Hard Rock - Black Sabbath, Old Metallica, Tool, Megadeath, Rage Against The Machine, System Of A Down, Van Halen.... and many more.

Reggae - Bob Marley and etc.

Classical

Oldies

Irish Folk Music

Latin Music

I have about 6000 songs on my iPod and I subscribe to about 30 podcasts. That thing is pretty much glued to my ear or playing through my car stereo (have it connected through RCA auxillary inputs).

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this and that. I'm

I like this and that.

I'm a writer, and I find that I write best when I listen to "new age" music. Enya, Karunesh, enigma etc. 

I also love the classics. Give me a good symphony piece anyday and you have my full undevided attention (that's the french horn player in me). I also listen to chants and various things of that nature.

In my everyday listenings, however, I tend to lean more toward the "rock" side of things. Though it seems like everyone has a different way to define genres. I listen to anything from Tool, deftones, metallica, pink floyd, led zepplin, rammstein, live, hurt, ELP, godsmack and the list goes on.... 

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm VERY picky with what

I'm VERY picky with what goes into my ears musically. I don't know if it's because I'm a musician or if it's because I really don't like a lot of music. Either way, I only listen to a hand full of bands and artists.

B.B. King, Albert Collins, Black Label Society, Pantera, Foo Fighters, Sublime, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Incubus, Radiohead, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Velvet Revolver, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Los Lonely Boys, and Gary Jules.

Besides this and a few other select songs by various artists, I don't like much anything else. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mostly indie stuff I

Mostly indie stuff I guess.  Elliott Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Mogwai, Bloc Party, Sigur Ros, Death Cab, Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc.  Love some of old harcore bands that no one else has probably heard of. 

The best band ever, ever, ever:  Fugazi.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty flexible with my

I'm pretty flexible with my music.  I like albums primarily.

The Cure's Distintigration is probably my favorite.

Band wise i like System of a Down, The Doors, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, U2, Tom Petty, The Beatles, Eminem.  I have a think for female voices so I will listen to a fair amount of Alanis, Mclauchlan, Fiona Apple, Dido, Ani Difranco, No Doubt.

I like Holst's The Planets a lot, and Mozart.  I love the old 'fun' rock pop music like Chubby Checker, some Beatles and Elvis, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley & the Comets...ummm...

Glenn Miller is good times.

Oh and I go on really long kicks of Mel Torme, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett.

Umm...okay i like a lot of styles of music Eye-wink

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I definitely love showtunes,

I definitely love showtunes, big band stuff, and artists like Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland, but mainly I listen to rock, indie, alternative, etc. Some of my fave bands/ artists include: 
Breaking Benjamin30 Seconds to MarsThree Days GraceFinger ElevenEvans BlueThe FrayNirvanaThe KillersSalivaRammsteinThe DecemberistsSimon and Garfunkel David BowieAFIDeath CabElliot SmithStaindStory of the Year

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rap, country, and anything

Rap, country, and anything made in the early 1900s doesn't qualify as music in my opinion. Other than that, pretty much everything is good, with Metallica on the top(minus their last two albums that is).

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: Glenn Miller

Tarpan wrote:

Glenn Miller is good times.

Oh and I go on really long kicks of Mel Torme, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett.

Oh yeahhhhh!  I saw Sinatra in concert when he was in his 80s.  He could still make the ladies swoon.

My radio is still on the oldies station. 

I also enjoy the cast recordings of musicals in which I've been involved (Behind the scenes!) because it brings back happy memories.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Punk, metal and ska is what

Punk, metal and ska is what I was raised on, and what I still like best.

Still, I have to say with people like Greydon, Proclaim and GAWN around, I am slowly coming around to hip-hop and rap a bit, but I tend to be quite a bit more selective in that regard.

I pretty much eschew anything on mainstream raido and TV, not because it's popular, but because if frankly typically sucks as is completely hollow (which is probably why its popular).

Still, there pretty much isn't any genre, other than New Age, that I cannot find something I like in. Every now and then, it's time to drink margaritas and listen to Buffet, or get loaded at karoake night and belt out some Skynard, or get self-loathing and put on Johnny Cash, or just chill with some jazz, or design plant diagrams while Bach or Mozart plays in the background. There is NEVER a time for Yanni though, not till the Apocalypse anyway.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Rap, country,

Vastet wrote:
Rap, country, and anything made in the early 1900s doesn't qualify as music in my opinion. Other than that, pretty much everything is good, with Metallica on the top(minus their last two albums that is).

Older Metallica is much better. Their newer stuff is a joke.

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's true. Metallica has

That's true. Metallica has sucked since about 1990.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
It should be obvious from

It should be obvious from my pic and name that I'm into metal; death metal, metalcore, speed metal, power metal, pretty much anything fast and difficult to play. I play bass and was in a metal band in highschool, with a black lesbian vocalist (she is the epitimy of badassness), and I wrote most of the music and a lot of the lyrics. Looking back though now, I realize how shitty most of it was, but here's our old myspace just the same:

www.myspace.com/southboundfury

As a bassist, I'm required to love funk, and I also love a lot of jazz fusion; Stanley Clark, Al Dimeola, Chick Corea, George Duke, etc. Primus is also an awesome band. 

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
I listen to just about

I listen to just about everything that's written from the heart. 

Right now, Metal is the key for me.  Power, Goth, Black, Melodic Death, Progressive metal...etc.. Some metal bands I like: IRON MAIDEN (England) Orphaned Land (from Israel), Wintersun (from Finland), Edguy (Germany), Sonata Arctica (Finland), Stratovarius (Finland), Manticora (Denmark), Therion (Sweden), Labyrinth (Italy), The Beholder (Italy), Cradle of Filth (England), After Forever (Netherlands), Tristania (Norway), Pantera (US),  Dragonforce (England), Demons and Wizards (Germany/US)----> Iced Earth (US), Blind Guardian (Germany), and others...

I also like Jazz, some bluegrass, Hip Hop (not cRap) such as Tribe Called Quest, Rakim, Krs1, older Nas,  Dilated Peoples, Infectious Organisms, Mello-D, etc..etc..etc..  

I enjoy artists such as Tori Amos, Ben Folds, Soundgarden, Tool, Everclear (old stuff), Amand Bloom, Ministry, and various others...if it's good.. I'll listen to it. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Niedowiarek
User is offlineOffline
 Larry gets +1 to

Larry gets +1 to awesomeness for listening to Orphaned Land Smiling

Mostly classic rock and various kinds of metal for me, detailed here: http://www.last.fm/user/Niedowiarek/

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I like most is

What I like most is Psychedelic Trance then ambient, breaks, indie, rock, grunge, whatever as long as it hits the spot.   I have to admit I have a hard time finding rap that I like as with pop and R'n'B but I'm sure there's some out there

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't usually listen to

I don't usually listen to music at least not purposefully.   If music is happening it's not something I go out of my way to avoid, but I have never bought a CD or downloaded any music, for myself.   However Weird Al's sounds can be funny, but like I said I have not gone out of my way to hear it.  I've never felt the urge to just listen to music, just like I've never felt the urge to drink or smoke.   I know, I am a very boring person.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
As the cliche goes, I like a

As the cliche goes, I like a little of everything, but most of my collection consists of 60's-70's R&B (Otis Redding, Jerry Butler, Booker T & the MG's, Sam & Dave, King Floyd) and bands from the Chicago punk scene (Big Black, The Effigies, Naked Raygun, Bhopal Stiffs, Pegboy, The Arrivals, Mexican Cheerleader, Screeching Weasel)

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
DelphicRaven wrote: Vastet

DelphicRaven wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Older Metallica is much better. Their newer stuff is a joke.

If it were a joke then it would be funny. Unfortunately it's not. Anything after Load is in fact a load. Even half of that album was sub-par. But everything following just sucks.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

Vastet wrote:
If it were a joke then it would be funny. Unfortunately it's not. Anything after Load is in fact a load. Even half of that album was sub-par. But everything following just sucks.

'Garage Days Revisited', 'Kill Em' All', 'Ride The Lightening', 'Master Of Puppets' and '....And Justice For All' are the only ones I listen to. I own the other newer albums, but never listen to them.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jazz is a big one for me.

Jazz is a big one for me. I've been in love with swingin' and trad jazz for a long time. Beebop and dixie also float my boat. I can even sit down for an evening and listen to lounge and modern jazz, but keep the acid jazz away.

Of course, I like good rock & roll. From classic to current there are some great bands out there. I missed the chance to go see one of my favourite bands recently. The Police opened their tour here in Vancouver, but I was working both nights they played.

Classical is right up my alley as well. I had the privalege of being a page turner for a dear friend of mine while she played timpani for the OSO. What a rush being on the stage for Tchaikovsky's 5th!

R&B and blues are both favourites. I go to the local blues club once or twice a week to take in some great live music.

About the only thing I can't listen to is country. Most of it is just hard on my ears. 

There are two seasons in Canada, Hockey season and not-Hockey season.

Canada: 16% Atheist and growing.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: 'Garage Days

BGH wrote:

'Garage Days Revisited', 'Kill Em' All', 'Ride The Lightening', 'Master Of Puppets' and '....And Justice For All' are the only ones I listen to. I own the other newer albums, but never listen to them.

yup. "and justice for all" was the last truly great metallica album. i'm kidding myself and hoping that the new album will be a return to form, but i won't be surprised if it's a total let down. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
MUSIC

THREE%HERO    XD

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
New Age:  Enigma Jazz:

New Age:  Enigma

Jazz: Nina Simone

R&B: Marvin Gaye, Al Green

Classic Rock: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rush, King Crimson, Springsteen, Mark Knopfler, Sting, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath 

Alt. Rock: Radiohead, Pearl Jam, REM, A Perfect Circle, NIN, Incubus, Screaming Trees, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Nirvana, Rage against the Machine, The Cult

Hard Rock/Metal: Tool, Soundgarden, The Melvins, Slayer, System of a Down, Alice in Chains, Clutch, Megadeth  

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like almost everything

I like almost everything except death metal and country.

Right now I'm heavily into learning music (voice, piano, theory, etc.) so I don't listen to the radio. My nephew (who will remain nameless because his uptight fundy mother would have a shit fit if she knew) introduced me to Breaking Benjamin, which I am enjoying. The poor kid has to sneak-listen to music. Sad

I had to do the same thing when I was his age, but some weird experiences led me to believe god was telling me to only listen to Christian music, so I never completed a healthy rebellious phase. I encouraged my nephew to finish his healthy rebellious phase by rocking on. Smiling

Right now I'm studying the recitative and aria from Orfeo ed Euridice: "Che faro senza Euridice?" and "Lullaby" from The Consul. I'm also preparing for a "gig" at a Unitarian Church in a couple of weeks. I'll be singing my own arrangement of a Tom Waits song ( "Shiver Me Timbers" ) and that old standby, "Shenandoah."

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just too much stuff to

Just too much stuff to list.

But I'm loving this right now.

http://www.myspace.com/cccmashups

it's the second one. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Sweet. A music topic. Im am

Sweet. A music topic. Im am extremely picky about what I want to listen to. As a matter of fact if Im driving and not listening to a cd then I am litening to talk radio because I dont want to hear that crap they put on the radio. Maybe Im getting old? I dont know but I cant stand the whiney emo kids on the radio. SO on to what I like. Im a big fan of Industrial. Techno(Everytime I say techno someone makes that "fuck techno" face.) Its not what you think though. Moby is not a good example of what Im talking about. You dont know how many times I have said techno and someone has said that bastards name. So Ill get to some band names. Ill buy a beer for the first to person to say they know these bands to.

Favorite: Razed In Black. That guy is a genuis.

Raine Vivian.

Imperative Reaction.

Encoder.

Well those are my favorites. Dont want to get carried away with a huge list. Also music I make is in my sig. But I kind of gave that up about a year ago. Cool

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
I mainly listen to symphony

I mainly listen to symphony music myself. As far a a genre I dislike...well I think all types of music (atleast that I've heard) have some artists or songs that I like.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I believe I have

I believe I have every recorded Pearl Jam song in my mp3 player and that's it. Many different versions of each song too. Studio, Accoustic, Live...Greatest Band Ever.

Hate: CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED CREED and..............CREED!!!!!Yell

I suck at signatures.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll listen to anything as

I'll listen to anything as long as it's in good taste and has a good melody to it.  My favorite bands right now are mostly European speed metal like Dragonforce, Sonata Artica, and Rhapsody of Fire.

However, I'm also a big fan of video game soundtracks too.  There is a lot of great tunes that go unnoticed when you're playing a game.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
rage against the

rage against the machine.....nas hell i even liked some old school prince stuff....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Vastet

BGH wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I also like the black album and S&M.