The Mormons Come Calling

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Mormons Come Calling

Hi all. I just had a visit from the Mormons, which was great since I've been wanting to go head-to-head with a theist. The conversation was mostly them admitting that the core of what they believed was all based on faith. God could be lying to them. Then I showed them 2Th11 where God does lie, and gave them my interpretation. I think it means that if you hear the "truth" and don't believe it, God sends you "powerful delusions" to keep you believing your lies. In their case (since they had been witnessed to by other faiths) that would be Mormonism. I was in controle of the conversation, so I left them with an impassioned plea: develope your learn logic an reasonning skills so that you can reach your highest potential as a human and not waste what could very well be your only life! Yes, that's right. I gave witness of Atheism to the Mormons!

I wonder when the Jehova's Witnesses will be around...

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
and one more thing

Hey, just gotta add one more thing about the conversation. They said that Non-Mormons get witnessed to in the afterlife, like a last chance for salvation. In that case, we have absolutely no reason to convert during life. Nothing to gain, nothing to lose. Ha! They shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Oh, and their god is definatly male. I don't know how that works for a being without a body, but appariently, they know he's a male. Now I wish I asked. Any one know how that works?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Especially the shit they got

Especially the shit they got for rules! No booze, no coffee?? Fuck that, I'd rather go to hell! Evil

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha, but you wouldn't have to

lol, but you wouldn't have to!
correction, in the original post i missed a 2: "2Th 11" = "2Th 2:11"

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
jackal wrote:   Oh, and

jackal wrote:

Oh, and their god is definatly male. I don't know how that works for a being without a body, but appariently, they know he's a male. Now I wish I asked. Any one know how that works?

I was a active member of the Mormon for the first 18 years of my life. The story I was told when I was a kid about Heavenly Father (God) and his son Jesus was that there is a Heavenly Mother. The story went like this, H.F. and H.M. made Jesus first, and then the rest of us and Satan (Jesus's Brother). God never told us about our H.M. because he didn't want everyone here on Earth to blaspheme her name like people blaspheme his. 

I don't know if that's church doctrine or just opinion. Maybe your next visit from the Mormons can be about that story.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What's the deal with the

What's the deal with the special underwear, anyway?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, I always wanted to

You know, I always wanted to know exactly that. WTF is up with the furry long johns?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've had some Mormons come

I've had some Mormons come here. They haven't been here lately since our last discussion. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Might be interesting to host

Might be interesting to host a debate between a mormon and a "mainstream" christian, and observe them try to debunk each other's claims, without simultaneously debunking their own.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:
You know, I always wanted to know exactly that. WTF is up with the furry long johns?

Wiki entry on the Mormons' magical underwear.

The garment is thought to symbolize the "coats of skins" which Jehovah (Yahweh) made for Adam and Eve before casting them out of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:21). It is worn, in part, to remind adherents that they have made special oaths and covenants to God. Members of the LDS Church today are commonly clothed in the garments, together with outer temple clothing, for burial. The garment is believed to be a spiritual "shield and protection" against the powers of evil (and against physical harm, according to some adherents).

Apparently the garment (especially in women) is a guide for dressing modestly. If the garment is all covered up by your clothing, you're properly attired.

Crazy-ass religions...

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jackal wrote: Hey, just

jackal wrote:

Hey, just gotta add one more thing about the conversation. They said that Non-Mormons get witnessed to in the afterlife, like a last chance for salvation. In that case, we have absolutely no reason to convert during life. Nothing to gain, nothing to lose. Ha! They shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Here's a thread about the mormon's baptizing the dead

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/6533

If god takes life he's an indian giver

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Might be

zarathustra wrote:
Might be interesting to host a debate between a mormon and a "mainstream" christian, and observe them try to debunk each other's claims, without simultaneously debunking their own.

LOL! Indeed. 

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
jread wrote:

"I was a active member of the Mormon for the first 18 years of my life. The story I was told when I was a kid about Heavenly Father (God) and his son Jesus was that there is a Heavenly Mother. The story went like this, H.F. and H.M. made Jesus first, and then the rest of us and Satan (Jesus's Brother). God never told us about our H.M. because he didn't want everyone here on Earth to blaspheme her name like people blaspheme his.

I don't know if that's church doctrine or just opinion. Maybe your next visit from the Mormons can be about that story."

I was raised mormon also,and I was taught the same thing. I believe, if I'm not mistakened, that it's actually in their teaching manuals, thus it would be doctrine... or damn close to it.

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
DelphicRaven wrote: "I was

DelphicRaven wrote:
"I was a active member of the Mormon for the first 18 years of my life. The story I was told when I was a kid about Heavenly Father (God) and his son Jesus was that there is a Heavenly Mother. The story went like this, H.F. and H.M. made Jesus first, and then the rest of us and Satan (Jesus's Brother). God never told us about our H.M. because he didn't want everyone here on Earth to blaspheme her name like people blaspheme his.

I don't know if that's church doctrine or just opinion. Maybe your next visit from the Mormons can be about that story."

I was raised mormon also,and I was taught the same thing. I believe, if I'm not mistakened, that it's actually in their teaching manuals, thus it would be doctrine... or damn close to it.

--Sarah--

Wow, and I thought mainstream Christian beliefs could be irrational.  Wouldn't this also make Mormonism polytheistic?