I'm not supposed to be here...

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
I'm not supposed to be here...

....because I'm black, American, female, over 50, an ex-Jehovah's Witness...and an atheist. Can I be placed on the endandered species list? I'm new here at RRS...nice place to be!

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Mind if I ask you

Welcome! Mind if I ask you how you got snatched up by the Jehovah's?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
LMAO. I'm a 34 yr. old,

LMAO.

I'm a 34 yr. old, long-haired, white-skinned ex-catholic/ex-christian/ex-taoist farmboy from Indiana living in Tennessee. I'm an entirely new species. I already know a 50+ black atheist woman. You're not as alone as you think.

[In my best southern accent]

We don't make no lists 'round here, girlie. heh heh heh.

Yup. We even let them thar Canadians in here too. 

[end southern drawl]

So nice to meet you, msdreadhead. Personally, I can't imagine you wanting to be anywhere else. For me, you can just stop at 'atheist' since paint color and gender don't matter.

Can you give us an idea where you're located in the country? Just generality if you want? 

And for the giggle hat-trick...

Are you that nice woman that came to the house last year that I talked to with her friend for an hour or so? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Becoming a Jehovah's Witness

one of their magazines on the floor of my bedroom interupted my plans of suicide.  I was the perfect candidate!

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow , Yeah perfect timing

Wow , Yeah perfect timing ....

Welcome.

And How did you happen to extracate yourself?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a 20 year old, white

I'm a 20 year old, white English, ex-Christian, ex-Buddhist, ex-Communist, Vegetarian, Left-Wing atheist. I'm a common species!

Welcome Ms Dread Head. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So nice to meet you,

Quote:
So nice to meet you, msdreadhead. Personally, I can't imagine you wanting to be anywhere else. For me, you can just stop at 'atheist' since paint color and gender don't matter.

Actually, and unfortunately, color and gender does matter in this country because so many other things go with it. In answer to your other question, I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area.

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Welcome. Thanks!

Quote:
Welcome.

Thanks! Really glad to be here!

Quote:
And How did you happen to extracate yourself?

The congregational elders, held a meeting with me to tell me that, thru prayer, the holy spirit wanted details of my forays into fornication with a fellow believer. It was then that I began to wonder why the holy spirit didn't tell them I was still a virgin?!? And, that the brother I was accused of fornicating with was fighting the "demons of homosexuality". I later leaned he began a butt fucking campaign with another bother in the congregation that was somehow missed by the holy spirit (maybe the holy spirit liked to watch!). I began to question god --NOT a good thing. And, i just couldn't get over that masturbation was such a bad thing. So, months later I went out and got fucked and guess what? The holy spirit didn't report a thing!! My doubts began. Gradually I stopped going. Over time reason took over and I began to read the whole bible. Not in bits and pieces but Genesis to Revelation. I was in shock. Seemed so fake. Scared the shit outta me...started to doubt god for years. That doubt changed to downright disbelief. Now, no contact with my family; I'm considered a danger to them. Difficult.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Silly theists... when will

Silly theists... when will they learn they have to talk ambiguously to a whole group of people to give the allusion of talking to god...

Nice to "see" a new "face" around Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Welcome.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead

msdreadhead wrote:
....because I'm black, American, female, over 50, an ex-Jehovah's Witness...and an atheist. Can I be placed on the endandered species list? I'm new here at RRS...nice place to be!

DAMN IT! LOST ANOTHER LOAN TO DITEC!

How dare you find reality! Just because a bunch of white people prayen to Jesus forced blacks to convert and submit doesnt mean you shouldnt.

You are black. You OWE Jesus. How dare you turn your back on him. You live in Merka where Jesus, not Jefferson, wrote our Constitution.

Now do your duty and go back to pester people door to door. You know, just like when you get someone who calls you up and tries to sell you a vacation package over the phone.

What is this world comming to? Next thing you know an atheist will run for congress and get voted in.

You took golf and and tennis now you want to be godless? Is there anything minorities dont want to leave alone?Tongue out

TRANSLATION= Glad to have you here and glad you excaped your indoctrination.  Cool

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Ms Dreadhead! From

Welcome, Ms Dreadhead! From an old, (debatably) white broad who arrived at atheism about 6 years ago by way of Catholicism --> Evangelical nutbagism --> Wicca --> generic theism.

This place is Knowledge Junkie Paradise... enjoy! 

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well i'm an ex-Christian, 

Well i'm an ex-Christian,  17 year old. I feel so alone Sad

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course you're supposed to

Of course you're supposed to be here! If you're open-minded and looking to learn something, this is the place for you.  Welcome.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

satchalen
satchalen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Now, no contact with

Quote:
Now, no contact with my family; I'm considered a danger to them.
i'm going to a wedding on saturday.  my little cousin told her mom quite candidly when she was 13 that when she turned 18 she was "outta here".  good to her word, she found a nice catholic boy who thought much same as she, and they are tying the knot, sans church, sans my aunt.  unfortunately for my aunt, most of my family are  "normal christians", so it is she who is over the fence, and we are all going to the wedding.

there may be something to this kharma gig after all.

and look on the bright side, now if you're in need of a blood transfusion, you're all good! 

welcome.

if (born++) {truth=null};

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
welcome msdreadhead !!

Smile welcome msdreadhead !!

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, everybody, for the

Thanks, everybody, for the warm welcome!  I'm curious to hear your stories.  How did you all come to find the "light" of reason?  And, are you "out of the closet" atheists in your community/with family?  Do tell!!! 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome

welcome Smiling

i'm an extremely generic white, mid-thirties, german/russian, ex-christian turned atheist(when i was 12) from Kansas.

sadly, being a white mid-thirties male, i also fit the standard profile for a serial killer. nice...

oh, and i'm very much an "out of the closet" atheist. in eastern Kansas that's nothing special. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead wrote: Thanks,

msdreadhead wrote:
Thanks, everybody, for the warm welcome!  I'm curious to hear your stories.  How did you all come to find the "light" of reason?  And, are you "out of the closet" atheists in your community/with family?  Do tell!!! 

I've pretty much always been a sceptic. My parents didn't raise me in any faith, I'm unbaptised. I felt a great deal of confusion as a child, Christianity seemed so prevailant in culture and I wanted to learn what seemed like facts that people always talked about, so at nine years old I went to church, tried to believe for a few years but couldn't. There's a funny story actually, when I was five, a vicar came to our school and kept mentioning the word Christian, I thought he was talking about a kid in my class called Christian, who was actually one of the bullies, I was quite confused about why this guy was talking about this kid. I arrived at atheism about the age of 15. No one really cares, but then again I live in a very liberal country.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead wrote: ...So,

msdreadhead wrote:
...So, months later I went out and got fucked and guess what? The holy spirit didn't report a thing!! My doubts began.

Deconversion by fuck!!! LOL. That's the best deconversion story I've ever heard.

I obviously did it the wrong way.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Well i'm an

Quote:
Well i'm an ex-Christian, 17 year old. I feel so alone

When I was your age I became Christian, in part, because I felt different...and very alone. I unknowingly chose a religious cult when in fact it was socialization/singing/dancing with rational people etc I needed...that pat on the back, so to speak. I'm 51 and I also feel quite alone sometimes. I NEED to be around people who share similar values; it's why I'm here...to seek out and socialize w/other atheists. I'm pretty shy when it comes to meeting new people, in person, but I make myself do it sometimes. Are you shy too? Are you able to get out and meet other atheists? What's going on with you?

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
[quote} but then again I

[quote} but then again I live in a very liberal country.

. What country do you live it? What is your country's view of "religious America"?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm afraid my story is

I'm afraid my story is rather boring.  I was born secular (Hey!  That's a song), was never baptised, never went to church and religion was a non-issue.  I dabbled in various wicca/nature religions for a brief period (I like the goddess worship and being naked in the woods) but always knew it was a bunch a bull.

I've really only begun to deeply become involved in religious affairs in the past 5 years or so, mainly because I got my head out of my ass and figured out what was going on with America. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  You will feel

Welcome!  You will feel right at home here! 

Without boring everyone, here is the link to my de-conversion.  I work with another member on this forum and he is such a good friend that he helped me extricate my head from my ass.  Unlike Pariahjane, I had previously been unable to do it myself. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead

msdreadhead wrote:

Welcome, msdreadhead.  (Love the screen name, by the way)

I'm older than you are, so don't feel too alone.  Smiling

I'm really glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I was raised non-church

I was raised non-church attending Christian. I decided I was agnostic at about age 16. About 2 years ago I decided I was an atheist. I'm 33 now.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead wrote: [quote}

msdreadhead wrote:
[quote} but then again I live in a very liberal country.
. What country do you live it? What is your country's view of "religious America"?

I'm from England. Most of the people I know laugh at religious America. Most people perhaps don't realise quite how dangerous it is. Most people think America is a country of crazies.

We still have fundies of course, especially old people. Most of the young Christians I know are liberal, moderates, and don't take much offence at blasphemy or open ridicule of religion. You never see massive billboards saying "Jesus loves You" or "Evolution is the Devil" or bumper stickers of a similar nature (in fact you rarely ever see bumper stickers). Most people are religious on some level, just not really the sort who go to church every Sunday or believe the bible literally. Atheism is still very common, people are generally open and respectful of everyone, you could just as easily get an atheist in office as you could a theist. In short, people are judged on their actions not on their beliefs.

The odd thing is that we don't have the separation of church and state officially (effectively yes). Most state schools have some moderate form of religion within them, whether they be protestant, catholic, islamic etc (they all accept people of any faith into them). The state religion is Anglican Protestant and until the 1950s it was pretty much demanded by society that you go to church and in the countryside it still is to some degree (in the towns and cities no one really cares).

Most people believe in evolution, creationism is laughed at by most people. I'm actually beginning to like my country more since I started looking at America.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The congregational elders,

"The congregational elders, held a meeting with me to tell me that, thru prayer, the holy spirit wanted details of my forays into fornication with a fellow believer. It was then that I began to wonder why the holy spirit didn't tell them I was still a virgin?!? And, that the brother I was accused of fornicating with was fighting the "demons of homosexuality". I later leaned he began a butt fucking campaign with another bother in the congregation that was somehow missed by the holy spirit (maybe the holy spirit liked to watch!)."

Okay.  You have a righteous sense of humor!  I laughed so hard at this that I nearly fainted.  I am sure it was painful at the time, but that's just funny.  Welcome.  I hope you approach life with a humor similar to that above.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

serotonin_wraith
serotonin_wraith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I was raised in

Welcome! I was raised in the Jehovah's Witness cult too until I was 16. I'm now 25.

One of my main reasons for wanting religion gone is to stop the child indoctrination and shunning that goes on, in that and most other religions.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weclome! I'm 25,

Weclome! I'm 25, part-white-part-native-american all anti-racist,
former christian, leftist, atheistic, and I have a bad back and a penis (I assure you, the last two have nothing to do with each other) I'm also shy and not outgoing, and awkward. And I'm in the atheist closet!

I have a question: How long have you been atheist? 

msdreadhead
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Weclome! I'm 25,

Quote:
former christian, leftist, atheistic, and I have a bad back and a penis (I assure you, the last two have nothing to do with each other) I'm also shy and not outgoing, and awkward. And I'm in the atheist closet!

I have a question: How long have you been atheist

Dear in the closet athist (love your sense of humor, btw). Been an atheist about 10 years. Was an agnostic about 5 years before that, just guessing. Wonder how many of us are either totally in the closet or just partially in. Until recently, I was careful about revealing my atheist side; fear of backlash cuz I moved from a big city to this small town in 1999. After a year here I decided I wouldn't hide my atheism so much so told a neighbor. She asked why I hate god. Being an out of the closet atheist I get a sense of what many gays have had to go thru. Sad, people getting shit for being what they are, isn't it. To make it easy on myself I try and avoid people who believe in the supernatural.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
msdreadhead

msdreadhead wrote:

Quote:

I have a question: How long have you been atheist

Dear in the closet athist (love your sense of humor, btw). Been an atheist about 10 years. Was an agnostic about 5 years before that, just guessing. Wonder how many of us are either totally in the closet or just partially in. Until recently, I was careful about revealing my atheist side; fear of backlash cuz I moved from a big city to this small town in 1999. After a year here I decided I wouldn't hide my atheism so much so told a neighbor. She asked why I hate god. Being an out of the closet atheist I get a sense of what many gays have had to go thru. Sad, people getting shit for being what they are, isn't it. To make it easy on myself I try and avoid people who believe in the supernatural.

Thanks for the sense-of-humour love!

10 years? Awesome. I've been one for 3, as of sometime later this year.

I'm a closet atheist to my family only, and only some of them. I have only about 5 family members (thanks to dad losing touch with his entire family after being put into foster care and mom's family being really racist agains half breeds) only 2 know about it, though I'll probably have to tell the rest soon.

Small towns are havens for fanatics. It's really disgusting and disturbing. 

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: msdreadhead: "I'm

Quote:

msdreadhead: "I'm not supposed to be here..."

Everyone at R.R.S. : "Yes you are!"

Eye-wink Additionally, a big hug and welcome from myself to you!

[Note: Did I just give a digital hug?]

*hug*

[Note: There, now I did.]

Enjoy yourself and have a good time.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
28, white, always an

28, white, always an atheist, always a gamer, always Canadian.

Welcome. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.