Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Right? Wrong? I report, you

Right? Wrong? I report, you decide.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Free sites can figure out

Free sites can figure out how to add other sexual preferences I don't see why a pay site can't...

Semi related I've seen ads on site saying things like "date christian men" with e-harmony.com underneath it. Yeah they can try and show off there site however they like, but the tv ads don't appear christian nor heterosexual only.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Right? Wrong? I report, you decide.

I really couldn't care less whether they do same sex matches or not. But just because they don't doesn't mean they discriminate. It just means they don't. What is this lady suing them for? Not specifying that they are a heterosexual dating website? They aren't turning her away because she's a lesbian. She's free to use the service they offer. She just probably wouldn't want to.

I mean, all respect to homosexuals. I know they have to put up with a lot of shit. But this just isn't it.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be quite honest, I think

To be quite honest, I think the lawsuit should be thrown out. If that company wants to limit it's customer base and it's income, that's it's choice. There are hundreds of sites that don't have policies like this ones. Her rights are not being interfered with. A business has the right to refuse to conduct business with individuals, by law.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: A business

Vastet wrote:
A business has the right to refuse to conduct business with individuals, by law.

But there are limits to that. You can't refuse service on basis of race, right? I remember that Dennys has been sued a couple of times over this.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure. If so, you'd

I'm not sure. If so, you'd have to prove that's the reason they were denied business. Which would be difficult to say the least.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a huge supporter of

I'm a huge supporter of property rights. While the phobia  is absurd ont E-Harmony's part, I do think it should be allowed to limit it's base. I think a better way of changing their attitude would be a mass appeal directly to the company.

As someone else already pointed out, there are other websites that dont have asinine policies like that. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ISH
ISH's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: But there are

MrRage wrote:
But there are limits to that. You can't refuse service on basis of race, right? I remember that Dennys has been sued a couple of times over this.

But in reality she's not being denied any service is she? She's just being offered a service (dates with men) which she doesn't want. The site is offering the same service (dates with members of the opposite sex) to all users.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ISH wrote: MrRage

ISH wrote:

MrRage wrote:

But in reality she's not being denied any service is she? She's just being offered a service (dates with men) which she doesn't want. The site is offering the same service (dates with members of the opposite sex) to all users.

Indeed.

To put this into a different perspective, the idea that she is being persecuted is equivalent to a Microsoft user complaining of persecution to Apple for not fixing his windows program.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I agree with her. eHarmony

I agree with her. eHarmony doesn't advertise the fact, but they are a christian site. If you are an atheist you will get "no matches" unless you hold some right-wing type views (ie pro-life.) I have also heard they won't match younger men with older women or men with women taller than them.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I agree

MattShizzle wrote:
I agree with her. eHarmony doesn't advertise the fact, but they are a christian site. If you are an atheist you will get "no matches" unless you hold some right-wing type views (ie pro-life.) I have also heard they won't match younger men with older women or men with women taller than them.

Since when was e-harmony a Christian site? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Apparently since it's been

Apparently since it's been in operation.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
16:15:25

MattShizzle wrote:
Apparently since it's been in operation.

Proof? Besides conspiracy theories?

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since its inception.  It

Since its inception.  It was originally a Christian dating site. 

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow! A Christian

Wow! A Christian orientated dating site that doesn't approve of homosexuals? SHOCK HORROR!

Seriously, there are plenty other sites out there. This woman needs to do us all a favour and swallow a hand genade.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Proof?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth...where horse equals an evangelical christian who started a dating website.

NPR/ Fresh Air Interview by Terry Gross with Dr. Neil Warren

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's dishonest that they

It's dishonest that they don't mention that on their commercials. Doesn't that founder remind you of a sleazy used car salesman, too?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
IzzyPop

IzzyPop wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth...where horse equals an evangelical christian who started a dating website.

NPR/ Fresh Air Interview by Terry Gross with Dr. Neil Warren

Hit the audio file of that article. He says he accepts people of all religions at about 5:00 minutes in. 

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Hit

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Hit the audio file of that article. He says he accepts people of all religions at about 5:00 minutes in.

He also states in the interview that it started as a christian dating site.  And that is what you were asking for.

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I agree

MattShizzle wrote:

^ This is why I wanted to point out he accepts people of other religions. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
He accepts their money but

He accepts their money but they won't get any matches. I was told this a while back by several people who had joined.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: He

MattShizzle wrote:
He accepts their money but they won't get any matches. I was told this a while back by several people who had joined.

Just because they didn't get matches doesn't mean that was the cause.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, when enough people on

Well, when enough people on a site that size say the same thing...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't matter. A company

It doesn't matter. A company isn't obliged to offer more services just because someone is whining. The day you support forcing Sony to repair Microsoft products, and the day you support forcing Toshiba to offer fast food is the day there's a valid argument here. Except perhaps against false advertising.