RRS response needed: R&K deny dishonesty in this excerpt from WotM May newsletter pre-release

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
RRS response needed: R&K deny dishonesty in this excerpt from WotM May newsletter pre-release

Elsewhere, I am engaged in pointing out R&K's lies in misrepresenting the terms of the debate. During the course of discussion, I made the following claim:

[R&K] conned the RRS into appearing with them under the pretense they'd provide certain proof of the existence of god without using either faith or the bible.

They lied. They did it deliberately. That's fraud. It's also against the ninth commandment, though there seems to be an unwritten exception for "liars for Jesus."

This has touched some serious nerve as I am a fairly well-respected and accepted atheist in this online theist community. <!--break-->

One reply cited the quotation from Brian from this story:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3148940&page=1

I want to start off by thanking ABC, Kirk and Ray and the audience for their ears and their participation of the discussion of this magnitude. The Rational Response Squad was formed to respond to irrational claims, and the most wildly held irrational claim are the ones offered by religion. Ray and Kirk have agreed to offer scientific proof that god exists without invoking faith of the Bible, and we are here to respond to those claims.

The highlighting is mine. Please note the preposition, "of." To my ears, Brian said "without faith or the bible." I need a clarification of this quote, preferably from Brian himself, documented if possible with whatever RRS received from ABC or WotM spelling out the terms of the "debate."

I would very much like to pound this stake home.

I also received the following response, directed toward my claim from a kindly christian lady:

Having been through The Way of The Master video seminar on evangelism at my church, I'm on their mailing list. Their May newsletter is not yet available on their website, but here are excerpts from their response to feedback they received from the debate. I received it in an email, so I cannot cite the source or post it in its entirety.

n.b., The board limits posting of copyrighted material to three paragraphs, but this poster exceeded that length in the interest of avoiding misrepresentation. Here is the excerpt:

The ABC Atheist Debate

Thank you so much for the many encouraging emails regarding the New York atheist debate. Your kind words meant a lot to Kirk and me...

...While most have understood why we did this debate, there have been a number of Christian arm-chair quarterbacks who are publicly saying that we miserably failed--calling it "the way of the disaster," and saying that we went into the debate totally unprepared. There have also been accusations from Christians and atheists saying that I didn't keep my word. For those of you that have read what our critics are saying, I would like to address these issues.

...Our primary goal was to preach the gospel and then (where possible) support our preaching with apologetics, reason, logic, with a loving demeanor. That is what we tried to do.

We studied hard, but we had no idea what they would throw at us...We thought we had all the bases covered, but one or two came out of left field for which we hadn't prepared--about "entropy" and whether or not the universe is eternal. Ironically, I have faced thousands of questions from heckler's over the years, and it was the first time I had heard that question...

...OneNewsNow.com did a survey asking: Did Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort prove the existence of God to your satisfaction? The results show that over half of those taking the survey did understand...

...So, our tactic was to share three main points:

• Creation scientifically proves there is a Creator.
• Conscience tells us there is a moral Law and therefore, there must be a Law-giver. This Law is written on the heart, and tells us we are in big trouble with the Creator.
• Conversion: Becoming a new creature in Christ is an incredibly powerful argument for Christianity.

We must have reasonable answers, for reasonable people; however, these atheists were not reasonable -- they were angry and hostile ...

Not Keeping my Word

...A press release headline was changed, stating this would be a "Bible-less debate." That was never the case. In fact, I provided Brian (the atheist) with a copy of my outline some time before the debate ... He knew I planned to move from a presentation of the general evidence of God to specific proof about Jesus Christ. So it greatly puzzled us that Brian feigned "shock" when he heard it.

Despite these accusations, I am deeply thankful to God that the full gospel was preached on ABC's Home Page (they get 19 million visitors each month), and it is still going out all over the Internet, and will do for years to come. What an incredible opportunity we were given. Only eternity will tell what took place.

Thank you for your prayers.

Until the nets are full,
Ray Comfort

P.S. To see the debate through our cameras (and never-before-seen behind the scenes clips) go to YouTube.com/TheWayOfTheMaster

I've provided as much as I have received, but would like responses to only the following:

Not Keeping my Word

...A press release headline was changed, stating this would be a "Bible-less debate." That was never the case. In fact, I provided Brian (the atheist) with a copy of my outline some time before the debate ... He knew I planned to move from a presentation of the general evidence of God to specific proof about Jesus Christ. So it greatly puzzled us that Brian feigned "shock" when he heard it.

Brian, Kelly, and members of the RRS, I need your help to help you. Whatever you've got will be appreciated.

As ever, Jesse

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
In another thread I

In another thread I posted....

So... I looked back at the emails and here's what I have...

"My outline would be in three points:

Creation (the old "watchmaker" argument), Conscience (we all have one), Commandments (these stir the conscience)."
That's the outline to his argument he sent. When he sent it I never expected that 8 of his 13 minutes would be spent on faith and commandment. I also wasn't sure how he'd work the commandments in, I was thinking maybe he made an error in what he was putting in his outline, or maybe he was even making a joke of some sort. What I am sure about it is that Ray lobbied for more time with us and ABC claiming "I need more than 15 minutes to make my case." We're assuming this case was "prove God scientifically without invoking faith or the bible." Because of this we yielded a large chunk of our time to Ray, only to watch him squander the MAJORITY on exactly what he said he wouldn't do. Had Ray mentioned very briefly the ten commandments in a scientific sense without invoking faithb or going on long bible diatribes in his opening statement I wouldn't have been surprised, however Rays abuse of the system shows a calculated deceitfulness that can only be described as "lying for Christ." So the question is... Are Ray and Kirk the sort of "hypocrites" that God can sniff out and will eventually end up in hell? Ray and Kirk like to call others hypocrites... I think I'll do it for them. See you in hell Ray and Kirk. _______________ Adding to that original post: I saw the word commandments but I didn't really expect he would use them. As another possibility I thought he would have some indirect and scientific manner in which to bring them up. Knowing whether or not he would violate the rules of the "debate" ahead of time matters very little to overcome the fact that he actually violated the rules. If Ray set up the debate with the premise to break the rules before he even started, then finding someway to blame me is quite a crafty way to attempt and keep his image clean.

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: In another

Sapient wrote:

In another thread I posted....

Thank you, Brian,

As you've already noted, I discovered the other thread after posting this one. Ironically, a google search for "WOTM press release bible-less debate" led me right back to this forum and the other thread.

Would it be possible to dedicate a thread here to the email correspondence prior to the debate? I do not wish to be accused of using excerpts out of context, as will surely happen in a theistic forum. I'm accusing one of their own of "lying," a very serious accusation on the forum in question, covered by specific forum rules requiring I show intent to deceive. It's clear from Comfort's newsletter that this issue resonates:

There have also been accusations from Christians and atheists saying that I didn't keep my word. For those of you that have read what our critics are saying, I would like to address these issues.

In my experience, the evident discomfort created by this charge among christian posters is almost palpable. I believe it is a strategic mistake on our part to pass up this opportunity to emphasize the dishonesty of christian evangelists. While we are accustomed to "liars for Jesus," we should not let our familiarity breed complacence. In retrospect, I believe if you had spent your entire allotted time on this issue, rather than the brief mention you made during the face-off, you would have scored a much better public relations victory.

I sincerely hope you will keep this in mind if the opportunity presents itself again.

Christian evangelism is built on lies, and promulgated by liars. This is their Achilles heel. Because they identify their faith as Truth with a capital T, a charge of dishonesty, properly supported, is devastating to their proselytization. In treating any epidemic, the first need is always to stop the spread by identifying and addressing the disease vectors.

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Adding to

Sapient wrote:
Adding to that original post: I saw the word commandments but I didn't really expect he would use them. As another possibility I thought he would have some indirect and scientific manner in which to bring them up. Knowing whether or not he would violate the rules of the "debate" ahead of time matters very little to overcome the fact that he actually violated the rules. If Ray set up the debate with the premise to break the rules before he even started, then finding someway to blame me is quite a crafty way to attempt and keep his image clean.

Brian, the discussion is still continuing at the link I sent you in PM. I've learned that Kirk Cameron has claimed you were in possession of the complete notes of Ray's presentation before the debate.

http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com/podcast/2007/05/10/may-09-2007-hour-2/

I've gone to the trouble of transcribing the relevant portion.

5:43 (Comments by Tony Verkinnis in parentheses.)

I've got the docs to prove it.

So, listen, there was a misunderstanding. Ray said he was able to prove the existence of God without the use of faith or even mentioning the bible. Which he did, pointing to creation. Done, end of story.
Now. Clear delineation here. Additionally we can look into the bible for the power of the Holy Spirit, when we respond to the gospel, as further evidence.

Now. Brian Sapient said, "Ray broke the rules, he mentioned the bible."
(Repeatedly they said that.)

He said, "He was supposed to not mention the bible." Now, like he was shocked that Ray did that. Now here's the deal.
(And I have to add that so was Kelly, the woman that was debating with him, "Well, how dare they talk about the bible, how dare they quote scripture, this ten commandment business and Jesus. That wasn't part of the gig, and they acted just "aghast, simply aghast." Now go.)

Now that was absolutely false. Here's the scoop.

Because Ray Comfort was concerned that Brian Sapient was going to back out of the debate, because his partner, Brian Flemming, already did back out — Ray sent Brian his notes on the debate. He let him know exactly what he was going to say, specifically, that he would be mentioning creation, that he would be talking about the ten commandments out of the bible, to stir the conscience, and that he'd be sharing the gospel and the power of conversion that comes from responding and repentance and faith.

So Brain was full aware of what Ray was going to say, point for point, to help him better prepare his response.

So it was a complete ... either he forgot that he got Ray's notes, even though he had asked him for them repeatedly, or he was just lying.

(So when he made the claim that "Ah, I can't believe you're doing this," he already saw Ray's manuscript so he knew exactly what he was going to say.)

And he knew that Ray was proving the existence of god without faith or the bible through creation and then additionally he did go into the bible just like he showed him in his notes. So there's a dishonest tactic there to make it look like he was as shocked as everyone else that Christians would break the rules.

Let's just say that this account diverges quite a bit from what you've cited of the email correspondence. As you can imagine, I'd very much like to see these notes. As Kirk is claiming he's got the docs to back up his story, I don't see an issue with you producing the relevant email in its entirety.

What do you think?

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
lao tzu wrote:

lao tzu wrote:
5:43 (Comments by Tony Verkinnis in parentheses.)

I've got the docs to prove it.
Me too.

Quote:
So, listen, there was a misunderstanding. Ray said he was able to prove the existence of God without the use of faith or even mentioning the bible. Which he did, pointing to creation. Done, end of story. Now. Clear delineation here.
This is only acceptable if Ray admits he begged for 8 extra minutes of time in his opening statement to specifically use the bible. The opening statements themselves were very specific. The opening statement was set out to give him time to prove god specifically. If you notice, Kirks opening statement follows us. The reason for this is we knew Kirk would give personal testimony in that time and on a 6 person conference call we all discussed how the opening statement should specifically be on the topic only, and then we would refute the lead topic only. They wanted to talk about the failures of evolution in the opening argument, and we explained how we wanted that seperate from the actual "prove god exists without using faith or the bible." Ray created a line that was not allowed to be created, nor was expressed. Ray and Kirk want to believe the line between non bible, and permissable bible is halfway through his time to prove god exists without the bible? Does anyone see these two as anything other than conmen for Jesus?
Quote:
Additionally we can look into the bible for the power of the Holy Spirit, when we respond to the gospel, as further evidence.
The bible really shouldn't have come up at all throughout the night, but I think we assumed it was likely bound to. However language such as Kirk is using is not indicative of someone who is saying with honesty:
"I can prove God's existence. Absolutely, scientifically, without the mention of faith or the Bible." That would stir interest from both the Christian and secular community. - Ray Comfort
Quote:
Now. Brian Sapient said, "Ray broke the rules, he mentioned the bible."
(Repeatedly they said that.)
I didn't exactly say those words, but yes that's the jist. And I think I said it only once, not sure if Kelly said it at all.

Quote:
He said, "He was supposed to not mention the bible." Now, like he was shocked that Ray did that. Now here's the deal.
I was damn shocked he went on with the bible so long. I was expecting maybe one sentence or two that had some vague connection to the commandments, and if that would've have been the case then I would've been ok with it. It however was not. The last 8 minutes of a 15 minute argument from Ray which was supposed to be nothing but "prove god exists without faith or the bible" was all faith and bible. While it was actually going down I wanted to speak up, Kelly and I shook our heads in amazement at what he had done in the opening statement. Your damn right we were shocked, that is not how I interrepted his very small reference to the comnmandments immediately following his statement that he
"can prove God's existence. Absolutely, scientifically, without the mention of faith or the Bible." That would stir interest from both the Christian and secular community. - Ray Comfort
Next these guys are gonna tell us that the email only said he "can" do it, not that he "will" do it.
Quote:
(And I have to add that so was Kelly, the woman that was debating with him, "Well, how dare they talk about the bible, how dare they quote scripture, this ten commandment business and Jesus. That wasn't part of the gig, and they acted just "aghast, simply aghast." Now go.)
Yes, we were aghast. Also, the above statements are a lie, Kelly never said "how dare they," not that I can recall at least.
Quote:
Now that was absolutely false. Here's the scoop.

Because Ray Comfort was concerned that Brian Sapient was going to back out of the debate, because his partner, Brian Flemming, already did back out — Ray sent Brian his notes on the debate. He let him know exactly what he was going to say, specifically, that he would be mentioning creation, that he would be talking about the ten commandments out of the bible, to stir the conscience, and that he'd be sharing the gospel and the power of conversion that comes from responding and repentance and faith.
I never knew "specifically" I only had an idea of the argument as you can see. Basically what Kirk is saying is that somehow in Rays mind he can get away with saying he wouldn't use the bible as long as he tells me he's going to use the bible. Ok, I get it.
Quote:
So Brain was full aware of what Ray was going to say, point for point, to help him better prepare his response.

So it was a complete ... either he forgot that he got Ray's notes, even though he had asked him for them repeatedly, or he was just lying.
Or an abundance of other options there Kirk. As I've explained thoroughly I never expected Ray to violate the rules to that high of a degree. Even if I was prepared for it, stating that "we should just leave the builiding now" is a completely appropriate response.

Quote:
(So when he made the claim that "Ah, I can't believe you're doing this," he already saw Ray's manuscript so he knew exactly what he was going to say.)
I don't think I ever said, "I can't believe you're doing this" check the debate. I never saw Ray's "manuscript," I saw a sentence worth of notes. I never knew "exactly" what would be said, had I known what he was going to do in the opening statement I would have moved to have ABC cut him off at 8 minutes and save the bible for later.
Quote:
and he knew that Ray was proving the existence of god without faith or the bible through creation and then additionally he did go into the bible just like he showed him in his notes.
I only was under the assumption that there would be some reference to the commandments, potentially in some sort of scientific manner. I never expected for him to street preach to the audience, something that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, and showed utter disrespect for the proclaimed format at hand.
Quote:
So there's a dishonest tactic there to make it look like he was as shocked as everyone else that Christians would break the rules.
Maybe I was slightly less shocked than everyone else, but I was shocked.

Quote:
Let's just say that this account diverges quite a bit from what you've cited of the email correspondence. As you can imagine, I'd very much like to see these notes. As Kirk is claiming he's got the docs to back up his story, I don't see an issue with you producing the relevant email in its entirety.

I don't think the account is much different. Kirk simply manages to skirt the truth just enough to appear as to be vindicating Ray, when really he's offering no vindication of Ray but rather a chastization of me. I personally think what really happened is that Ray knew this was the only format of debate we would take. Ray saw Brian Flemming back out because it didn't seem like this format would happen (and the actual format I'm referring to, never did happen, however this format was close). Ray decided with intent to lie to me about his purpose, and he had planned from the get go to introduce the bible and faith into a discussion he had agreed not to. It's a nice try at a cover up though.

THE EMAIL:

Brian, It was good to talk with you yesterday. I've been thinking. How about we promote this as me saying: "I can prove God's existence. Absolutely, scientifically, without the mention of faith or the Bible." That would stir interest from both the Christian and secular community. My outline would be in three points: Creation (the old "watchmaker" argument), Conscience (we all have one), Commandments (these stir the conscience). I could give you the outline with more detail if you want. I speak for perhaps 20 minutes, then you have three counterpoint sessions/objections to each of my three points. These could each be 1-5 minutes (whatever). I have one minute to answer each of your points. Then Kirk shares his testimony of once being an atheist and becoming a Christian (10 minutes). You or Kelly could share why you became an atheist (10 minutes). Then a 20 minute question time from the floor (we would see the written questions beforehand). What do you think? Best wishes, Ray

Vorax
Vorax's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ray says what he says he

Ray says what he says he will do:

"I can prove God's existence. Absolutely, scientifically, without the mention of faith or the Bible." That would stir interest from both the Christian and secular community."  Ray will use steps that nullify what he will do and in effect will lead to him having done something else:
"My outline would be in three points: Creation (the old "watchmaker" argument), Conscience (we all have one), Commandments (these stir the conscience)." Since Ray says he will not mention the bible, but then says he will mention the bible, ray has contradicted himself and lied.   To be objective however, they are correct in saying that Ray told you he would be discussing the commandments, what they aren't being honest about is the fact that this was directly in conflict with the premise of the debate, which Ray himself had determined and stated.  Ray committed intellectual fraud by using a razzle dazzle technique called bait-and-switch, just like a crooked salesmen...unfortunately, you bought it.  - V Edited for formatting...poorly Eye-wink

"All it would take to kill God is one meteorite a half mile across - think about why." - Vorax

Visit my blog on Atheism: Cerebral Thinking for some more food for intelligent thought.

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Thank you for the swift and

Thank you for the swift and detailed response, Brian,

A word about the transcript. It is accurate to the best of my abilities, but obviously all punctuation is my own, including the quote marks. The tone of voice made it clear they were paraphrasing, but the words themselves don't reflect that. My apologies.

I note one segment in the email I'd like to follow up on.

My outline would be in three points:
Creation (the old "watchmaker" argument), Conscience (we all have one), Commandments (these stir the conscience).
I could give you the outline with more detail if you want.

I know I'll be challenged on this, so let's make it explicit.

1. Did you ask for more detail?
2. Was it provided?

You've said that, "I don't think the account is much different." If this email is all you had of Ray's notes, I see no way to harmonize it with Kirk's statement:

Ray sent Brian his notes on the debate. He let him know exactly what he was going to say, specifically, that he would be mentioning creation, that he would be talking about the ten commandments out of the bible, to stir the conscience, and that he'd be sharing the gospel and the power of conversion that comes from responding and repentance and faith.

I do not see the words "gospel," "power of conversion," "responding," "repentance," or "faith" anywhere in the provided outline. I do not find these notes to be a description of "exactly what he was going to say," in any case. Were these points covered in the conference call, to the best of your recollection?

Once again, I wish to post your comments in their entirety. By the rules of the other board, to do so, I require your explicit permission to go beyond three paragraphs. (Note to lurkers. I'm not posting a link because I have zero, nada, zilch, leeng interest in inspiring a board war. I do have a PM box, though.)

Thank you for your thoughts.

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I was

Sapient wrote:
I was expecting maybe one sentence or two that had some vague connection to the commandments, and if that would've have been the case then I would've been ok with it. It however was not.
I thought I might return to this issue for a moment, as it plays a large part in much of the continuing debate. Reading what I'd seen, as nothing more than a slightly interested observer, my first impression was that they intended some kind of derivation from C.S. Lewis' "argument from morality," in order to stay within th proscribed limits that had been expressed to that point. I went to the minor trouble of constructing an example:

Every culture we can examine, both today and throughout history, shows signs of having developed remarkably similar moral codes. These similarities are most easily explained by assuming a common source. As they are innate, part of the structure of mankind as a creation, they are the evidence of divinely crafted commandments, actualized within our individual persons by what we know as conscience, and represented in a host of sacred texts from around the world, including the sacred text of Christianity, the Holy Bible.

Of course we know that the phylogenetic tree of life is sufficient to show this "common source" is not uniquely deterministic of a supernatural creator. The point of the example was to show how it would have been possible to follow the outline presented without contradicting earlier promises for the debate promoted by Ray Comfort.

Brian, I'm still hoping for clarification on the questions I posed above, following up on Ray's offer to provide a more detailed outline:

1. Did you ask for more detail?
2. Was it provided?

I'm still hoping for permission to post your latest response in this thread in full, as well. Thank you for your efforts.

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
More damage control from

More damage control from Ray and Kirk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHJ_a2syWk