Bible Belt Libraries Blow

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible Belt Libraries Blow

I have now been waiting over 2 months for my local library to get a copy of Chris Hedges' new book, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America.  There are over 50 people on the waiting list for it so it's not like I am the only one wanting to read it.  It still says 'on order'.  Dinesh D'Souza's new book (out about a month I believe) is already on the shelves.  The copy of Sam Harris's End of Faith that I got at the library already had a new cover and a few of the pages were defaced.  I looked at the theology section and found no less then 5 books 'debunking' evolution and another 6 on how evolution can be compatable with faith.  4 books of the 'errors' of the Islamic faith, 2 on understanding it, and 1 Qur'an.  I did check that out to give it a spin.  It was checked out 1 other time...16 months ago.  I have been dependant on libraries since the birth of my child.  And while they have plenty of copies of the latest Tom Clancy, Stephen King, and the Left Behind garbage, they really have little in the way of thought provoking stuff.

No real point.  Just needed to vent. 

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I guess they're going to

I guess they're going to carry what the people there want. An ignorant area will carry more ignorant stuff.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not exactly fair, but

It's not exactly fair, but it's pretty much up to the director to say what gets ordered and what doesn't.  It's not like they have library police, or anything.

You can pretty much guarantee that someone high up at the library is a fundy.  I'm not sure that there's anything you can do, except maybe write a letter to the paper asking if someone can donate the books you want.  But then, the editor's probably a Christian too...

And theists say they don't affect our lives...

Bollocks

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: except

Hambydammit wrote:
except maybe write a letter to the paper asking if someone can donate the books you want.

When doing some research to see what it would take to get The God Who Wasn't There DVDs into public libraries, I found that donated materials don't necessarily make it onto the shelves.  It's all totally up to the people that run the library.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I bought an extra copy of

I bought an extra copy of Atheist Universe to donate to my local library.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess it isn't so much of

I guess it isn't so much of a problem here. However, my university library has one copy of The God Delusion but many many bibles.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go to a Catholic university

Go to a Catholic university of some size. They are generally fairly reasonable and well stocked.

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nearest one of any size is 3

Nearest one of any size is 3 hours away.  Now a Baptist College is right down the road.  The south sucks.

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes it does.

Yes it does.