non-scientific rambling

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
non-scientific rambling

won't pretend to have a vast scientific knowledge because i just don't, but i just wanted to throw this out and let some people with more in depth scientific know-how comment, correct, criticize, whatever.

many theists seem to take the stance that the "perfection" of the earth's life support system is an indicator of god's handiwork, we could have only developed this well and this far with the help of a higher power.

doesn't it only make sense that if there was indeed a big bang, there first had to be millions, possibly billions of "little pops" that failed to produce anything significant? couldn't there possibly have even been other successful big bangs in the past that resulted in universes that ran the full cycle of birth, outward expansion, and ultimately collapse? i find it hard to believe that our universe was the first ever "attempt", an instant success, and possibly the last of it's kind.

i see it as bubbles rising to the surface of a pool of water, most are little bubbles that pop just below the surface or only make it to the top for a second, others are medium size and reach the surface for a few seconds, but occasionally a big one reaches the surface perfectly formed and sits there for several seconds, possibly minutes. this isn't due to the intervention of a higher power, but simply the random coming together of the right amount of air, positioning, momentum, etc.

so that's our universe, the big bubble that made it to the surface and is outlasting the smaller and medium sized bubbles, for the time being.

i know, completely  un-scientific. but this is how my feeble little mind is wrapping around it, at the moment. i welcome any kind of educated insight to elaborate or debunk this concept.

p.s. i'm only interested in scientific analysis of this theory, not arguments for the participation of god in the universes creation. this isn't a "god vs science" thread. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Multiverse theory

Multiverse theory perhaps?

What do you mean by Big Bang attempts? 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmmm. i see how that choice

hmmm. i see how that choice of words could be misconstrued. what i meant was that the big bang wasn't the first event of it's kind, but instead was just one of several million "pops" that has occured, and this one, like possibly a couple others, was a "big bang" rather than a "little pop".

i know, i don't explain the jumble of thoughts in my head, very well. i'm an artist/musician, not a science major. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: hmmm. i

djneibarger wrote:

hmmm. i see how that choice of words could be misconstrued. what i meant was that the big bang wasn't the first event of it's kind, but instead was just one of several million "pops" that has occured, and this one, like possibly a couple others, was a "big bang" rather than a "little pop".

i know, i don't explain the jumble of thoughts in my head, very well. i'm an artist/musician, not a science major.

Maybe what you're saying is that the universe is a piece of popcorn, but in the bag, there are many previous kernels that attempted to pop, but instead turned into those half-popped tooth-breakers that sit at the bottom of the bag? 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
exactly!

exactly!