Why?

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why?

I wasn't exactly sure where I'm supposed to post this...so I won't be surprised if it's moved.
Anyway - A few minutes ago I texted my friend, who is a christian, and I said oh my god. She of course responded "You can't say that."  I texted back and said..Why not? I can say what I want.  She then said "But you don't believe in him, so therefore you can't say that word."   
My question is:  Why are people so offended when I say god, yet they say it all the time?  It's not like christianity enables you to have the ability to say it.  It makes no sense, and hopefully some of you will help me answer thisSmiling

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

magilum
User is offlineOffline
It's just a figure of

It's just a figure of speech. Are Christians really performing an invocation when they say it?

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just start saying some

Just start saying some things like "Great Odin's Raven!" or "By the Hammer of Thor!" I'm sure you can think of some others. Or just watch Anchorman. I don't see what the big deal is. Can one not say "holy shit" unless they actually believe there is a pile of dung somewhere glowing with a mystical light?

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is just a figure of

It is just a figure of speech.  Don't worry about it.  I still say 'bless you' when someone sneezes.  If someone asks what I am blessing them with, I tell them 'pixie dust'.  Tell your friend to learn a little more about atheism before she tells you what you can and cannot do.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still say "Oh my God!" Or

I still say "Oh my God!" Or "Jesus Christ!" it is just a figure of speech. But sometimes for humour I say "I mean that in a secular way of course."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: I wasn't

Brion wrote:
I wasn't exactly sure where I'm supposed to post this...so I won't be surprised if it's moved.
Anyway - A few minutes ago I texted my friend, who is a christian, and I said oh my god. She of course responded "You can't say that." I texted back and said..Why not? I can say what I want. She then said "But you don't believe in him, so therefore you can't say that word."
My question is: Why are people so offended when I say god, yet they say it all the time? It's not like christianity enables you to have the ability to say it. It makes no sense, and hopefully some of you will help me answer thisSmiling

I dont get that either. It is a habbit, like chewing your fingernails or picking your nose. Some people repeat behaivors, it is meaningless for her to infure that you believe in god because of that. Utter bologna.

What is worse than that is when an atheist quotes the bible in refutation to a Christian quoting the bible the Christian says, "Hey you cant do that, you dont believe in God".

That is so stupid.

If two football teams play a game, does one side keep the ball the entire game?

If someone makes a claim, it is dishonest to not let the person they make the claim to, to not allow them to examine the book the Christian uses by using the same book to refute the claims the Christian makes.

Many atheists say "bless you" so what. Jews say it too but that doesnt mean they believe in the Christian god.

People who use that argument are nowhere near the ability to defend their religion. That is a pee wee league argument at best. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are not the one bound

You are not the one bound to the10 commandments.... Sticking out tongue

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i say "oh my dog", or "or

i say "oh my dog", or "or my gosh", but that's my personal thing. i know a lot of atheists that say "oh my god" because it's a very common exclamation, almost like slang.

i don't say "bless you" because i don't believe our souls pop out of our mouths when we sneeze, so i don't see the point in protecting the sneezing person's soul from satan. but i understand why other atheists would do it simply out of habit.

just tell your christian friend she shouldn't celebrate easter because honoring the goddess ishtar is technically worshiping a false idol.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Niedowiarek
User is offlineOffline
Rubbish. Using a god as a

Rubbish. Using a god as a figure of speech doesn't collide with one's atheism, especially since it's just an empty exclamation.

I do it a lot, from short ones ("oh god!&quotEye-wink to excessively elaborate ("...by the bleeding wounds of Christ!&quotEye-wink. It's a good alternative to swearing. Smiling

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Like everyone else said its

Like everyone else said its a figure of speech. Just tell them its not your fault the phrase has lost its meaning. Really you have a more reason to say it then a christian does, its a sin. I say godamnit all the time. Its not like this is the only word or phrase that has lost its real meaning.

I mean really does it make any sense to call a legitimately born person a bastard or say “bless you” when someone has mucus shoot out of their noise?

If you want to make them feel better you could try saying "Oh your god!" or "Fuck Jesus Christ!"

That last one might get you in trouble, but if they are going to bitch at you for saying the name they shouldn't be saying according to their own rules fuck'em.

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eh...I've occasionally said

Eh...I've occasionally said jesus titty fucking christ ever since I saw "Teem America"

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User

ShadowOfMan
atheist
ShadowOfMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love that, "Jesus titty

I love that, "Jesus titty fucking Christ!"  I like Penn's, "Sweet Evil Jesus!!", too.  When I was about 13, I tried really, really hard to stop saying, "Oh my God!"  It's pretty much impossible in my case.  What really gets me is when you say "God damn it" and people get on you, because in their mind, your saying "Damn God".  I never had that problem up north.  Just down here in the Carolinas.  Then I have to explain the difference, and then repeat them over and over with increasing conviction.  It's just a hassle really.

A daughter of hope and fear, religion explains to Ignorance the nature of the unknowable. -Ambrose Bierce

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: "But you

Brion wrote:
"But you don't believe in him, so therefore you can't say that word."

How about a reply of "When was the First Amendment repealed?" 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My profane exclamations

My profane exclamations usually are something like "Jesus Tittyfucking Christ"! or "OMFG, mate."

Honestly, if your name was Jesus Christ and you were God, wouldn't you want your middle name to be "Tittyfucking"?

As for when people sneeze, I give a Gesundheit and call it well enough. 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG