Oh my God! (no pun intended) I'm so glad you Guys Exist

IntellectualTitan
IntellectualTitan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh my God! (no pun intended) I'm so glad you Guys Exist

Hey people I'm B (names Brandon but I hate that name) and I love what you're doing. My journey to atheism is an all too familiar one but very personal and important to me. Early on in my teenage years (13-15) I began to take issue with certain philosophies of my religion (Baptist) while of course never doubting the validity of the bible itself. Of course, then I felt much guilt as the fundamental things that were important in the bible that I disagreed with began to pile up. I had found a girl that I cared about deeply when I got to college and I didn't want to be made to feel guilty for being intimate with her. I also have heard stories of homosexuals who have mutilated themselves as to "not commit attrocities in the face of God". Other issues such as the morality in curse words (I fuckin love em and don't believe you can attach morality to words without context) lead me to really simply disregard religion's rules but my guilt still caused me to hold on to the belief that Jesus Christ DID die for my sins and I'd eventually HAVE to change my ways in order to avoid hell.

It was only after I happened to catch a speech by Sam Harris at a University on CSpan that I felt my apathetic/agnostic/slightly still faithful attitude turn into a more solid atheism belief. It was then that I really looked into the facts on the validity of the stories IN the bible that I discovered something that even I didn't expect. Christianity IS bullshit, it's a forgery for one thing and is (in the simplest terms) glorified Sun worship. It was stunning even for someone like me to find out that there was NO CREDIBILITY to Christianity whatsoever. And when that knowlege became known to me, the floodgates opened, so to speak. I've been researching ever since, and all signs point to the atheistic view as the closest to the absolute truth, which admittedly NO ONE knows.

I then turned to the world around me, which began to distrub me greatly. The people in charge of our government, giving us our news (in a biased way) and people who hold real power in the world at large, use these fairy tales to affect decisions they make that impact me and you directly! It was then that my atheism became more DEVOUT. We need to erradicate relgion in America as best we can, so incompotent leaders who appeal to "value voters" don't even HAVE another oppurtunity to be in power. Reason and rationale need to be paramount in this country and not the anti intellectual pride that the red state Christians flaunt at every convenience.  So now I've found ya'll, and the work you're doing is invaluable to the wellfare of this country and eventuall possibly the whole world.

Glad to be here.I look forward to learnin an assload more than I do now, about Theology so that debunking these crazy beliefs will be no harder than a walk in the park.  

The more you know about the world around you, the less you have to make up.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.

thraxas
thraxas's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there and welcome!

Hey there and welcome! Zoroastrianism and the Krishna legend are calling up Christianity/Bible and they want all of their borrowed stories back. And this time they mean business!

Biochemist & Law Student

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey B. Welcome to the RRS.

Hey B. Welcome to the RRS. Good to have you here. Another fascinating story of enlightenment.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome B, Glad to have you

Welcome B,

Glad to have you here, thanks for the great intro. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Brandon (I like

Welcome Brandon (I like that name!)

I have learned an assload since joining this site and hopefully you will too!  Have fun! 

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
It really is appaling

It really is appaling to see some of the atrocities that our leaders commit in the name of religion. I was shocked at the daily tripe flinging among our leaders when I finally started thinking for myself.

Reading your post, I also saw you compare most religions to glorified sun worship. There is a video here called "The Naked Truth: History of Religion" that basically says religion is glorified sun worship though it does go into a bit more detail. That video was the tipping point for my deconversion. Check it out!

In any case welcome aboard everyone is glad to have you.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome :)   I already

Welcome Smiling

I already think that debunking christian beliefs is a walk in the park.  All you have to do is ask them questions.  It shouldn't take long for them to spit out rediculous answers that even they can't believe they're saying. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
We don't exist...and

We don't exist...and neither does Sapient.  It's a figment of your imagination.

See this thread for proof:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/6869 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks people, I can just

Thanks people, I can just feel the warm fuzzies and shit lol. But yeah, as a writer I gotta say I'm alittle embarrased at how poorly written my first post actually was but I had alot of passionate things to say and wanted to get them out as quickly as humanly possible. But ya'll got the jist of it I see which is really the point.

I have an interesting perspective being a black man, because we loooooove us some god. It's a staple of the black community and the more I look at it it's actually holding us back. The black church, I think teaches people to make decisions based on feeling rather than thinking. It's part of the reason we haven't progressed like we need to. 

And yeah I've seen The Naked Truth and it's where I got the concept of religion being sun worship and then I did alittle more digging out found out that it's absolutely true. Here to learn as much as possible and prove that you can live a virtuous fullfilling life without ancient fairtales to help you. 

The more you know about the world around you, the less you have to make up.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
IntellectualTitan

IntellectualTitan wrote:

Thanks people, I can just feel the warm fuzzies and shit lol. But yeah, as a writer I gotta say I'm alittle embarrased at how poorly written my first post actually was but I had alot of passionate things to say and wanted to get them out as quickly as humanly possible. But ya'll got the jist of it I see which is really the point.

I have an interesting perspective being a black man, because we loooooove us some god. It's a staple of the black community and the more I look at it it's actually holding us back. The black church, I think teaches people to make decisions based on feeling rather than thinking. It's part of the reason we haven't progressed like we need to. 

And yeah I've seen The Naked Truth and it's where I got the concept of religion being sun worship and then I did alittle more digging out found out that it's absolutely true. Here to learn as much as possible and prove that you can live a virtuous fullfilling life without ancient fairtales to help you. 

I get the feeling you're gonna fit in here mate.

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
thanks, it's so good to be

thanks, it's so good to be among people with a grasp on reality.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
IntellectualTitan

IntellectualTitan wrote:

because we loooooove us some god. 

Welcome IntellectualTitan!

Oh, you're already fitting in here SO well!  I saw a couple of your posts on other forums and was impressed.

I'm including your quote because it made me giggle.  It's sooooo descriptive!

I'm so glad you're here!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.