Hello. I thought I would start an intro before posting in the other forums

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello. I thought I would start an intro before posting in the other forums

Hello. I been a lurker here since last October. My sister told me about RRS.. I really don't like the bible myself, but I felt that moderate and liberal religion was a lesser evil and so, "if ya can't beat em join em", and try to make changes within church that are neccassary. My sister knows a lot more about the bible than I do, but I have read the bible. She disagrees with my ideas but does not like to debate me. My gut feelings tell me that scripture can be used to see government as Rome -worldy. That christians have no authority from Jesus to get involved in government in such a way as to coerce people into following Gods laws. That the bibles God gave humankind a choice and it is blasphemous to act as God in coercing people through laws. After all, how are laws enforced? What do cops carry? Guns. Laws are enforced through force. As far as I can tell Jesus's examples were about changing peoples minds and not using mans laws to coerce people. I challenge any non-theist or theist here to prove othewise using scripture.

The reason I ask is because I am somewhat of a fence setter as far as being an anti-theist. If I am wrong I will gladly become an anti-theist. If I am right, I still have no inention what so ever of discouraging anti-theists in any way. I feel that we are all better off without religion. However, I don't see religion going away anytime soon, so I am going to go with the "If ya can't beat em join em" and make positive change within church. I plan on being good cop without discouraging other non-theists from being bad cop. I am for what works and for what is necessary...but I am not sure of what all is necessary. I want to be open minded to what others have to offer. I have no interest in smear tactics against anti-theists. I am sick, sick sick of superstition. I am pro science and pro ethics and I strongly feel that we can make advances in these only through reason and empathy...not superstition. I have no problems with the bad cop aproach, but I personly would rather try something different that might help in mitigating harm. I support anti-theists and especially anyone who has had bad experinces due to religion.

BTW I am a christian apostate and a pantheist. And my name is not Joe its Tyler. I chose the name Joe6Pack because of a thread here that offended me. I am uneducated and I have a short attention span. I have to work harder at retaining what I read than many others. I feel the world would be a better place if everyone tried to become critical thinkers to the best of thier ability regardless of IQ, job/career, degress what ever. I think that elitists should stop trying to manipulate us dumb dumbs and start finding way to get us to be more rational. Look at the Republican party, those fuckers are eletist scum who love to pray on Joe sixpacks ignorance, prejudices and supersition. I am not against conservatism, but the neacon elistist's have got to go. Any politicians that use religion are eletist scum.

As much as I hate the bible and superstition I just don't see Jesus as a Republican let alone a politician, and so if a Christian must be a Christian they should do it right. Keep your religion out of politics. Democracy is worldy so vote as if there is no God if you are going to vote. That way you can be sympathetic to the needs of others. Some people have different values than you do theists. Besides you can not use scripture to justify taking our persuit of happiness away from us.You have no authoirty from Jesus. Conservative Christians are nothing but a bunch of pharasees. Advances in stem cell, the issue of gay marriage, advances in medicine through a proper respect of evolutionary theory....theists if you are wrong you are trashing our one and only life when you try to use laws in coercing your superstitious prejudices. Kindly keep your religion in the realm of changing minds and not law. If I come off as stupid, don't worry, I plan on learning logic and others things that might help me in critical thinking. It doesn't hurt me none if people correct me either. I am all for being rational even though I sometimes have difficulty being rashional. I love having opinions and so I want rational opinions. My sister told me to talk to you guys. I hope some of you have time for an irrational person like myself a Joe6Pack.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello. Thank you for the

Hello. Thank you for the time to write that.

A suggestion if I may. No one will read a chunk of text like that. Go to the edit function and insert as many paragraph breaks as you can. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok. Just a sec.

ok. Just a sec.

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Hello.

deludedgod wrote:

Hello. Thank you for the time to write that.

A suggestion if I may. No one will read a chunk of text like that. Go to the edit function and insert as many paragraph breaks as you can.

Is that better? 

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes

Yes

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which thread prompted your

Which thread prompted your name change?

-Me

Books about atheism

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never changed my name.

I never changed my name. This is my account. My sister used to post here. I just made my account today. She recommended this site to me.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, what I meant was,

Sorry, what I meant was, which thread prompted you to choose the name Joe6Pack on your avatar?

-Me

Books about atheism

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
this thread here

Pasting wont work for me, otherwise I'd paste the link, but the title of the thread is "Harvard humanist conference" It was FGL's comments that rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want to make too big a deal about it, but it did bother me. I feel that atheists should encourage everyone to make positive changes using reason to the best of thier abilty and that joe6pack has something to offer even if we arent as smart as a lot of atheists. I think free thought should be encouraged, because even us nitwits can improve and be less of a pain in the ass through an outreach that shows the value of freethought and atheists have the right and owe it to theists to give thier opinions and criticisms. I dunno.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm betting it was the

I'm betting it was the thread about the Harvard Humanist Conference. The notion of giving up on people simply because of IQ or educational achievement was broached there. Some of our 'humanist' friends will not 'waste their time' talking to some people because part of their DOGMA(Yeah. I said it.) is that one must be educated in order to have common sense.

Joe6Pack and I have a lot to talk about.

Joe6Pack wrote:
Hello. I been a lurker here since last October. My sister told me about RRS.. I really don't like the bible myself, but I felt that moderate and liberal religion was a lesser evil and so, "if ya can't beat em join em", and try to make changes within church that are neccassary. My sister knows a lot more about the bible than I do, but I have read the bible. She disagrees with my ideas but does not like to debate me. My gut feelings tell me that scripture can be used to see government as Rome -worldy. That christians have no authority from Jesus to get involved in government in such a way as to coerce people into following Gods laws. That the bibles God gave humankind a choice and it is blasphemous to act as God in coercing people through laws. After all, how are laws enforced? What do cops carry? Guns. Laws are enforced through force. As far as I can tell Jesus's examples were about changing peoples minds and not using mans laws to coerce people. I challenge any non-theist or theist here to prove othewise using scripture.

Welcome to the site.

According to the bible, the old testament has 613 laws called the mitzvot. Each one of these is allegedly divinely communicated. The punishment for breaking one of those laws was always extreme.

jesus supposedly rolls along and preaches the beattittudes on the mount in Matthew 5 where he lays out some pretty new ideas with regard to the old testament including 'love your enemies'. HOWEVER, he said that not one jot or tittle would pass from the law. The law still exists, but the punishments are gone now?

Besides that, in the gospel of Matthew there is more decriptions of hell as fire than anywhere else in the bible or additional books that aren't in the KJV.

One could argue that the threat of hell would constitute FORCE on jesus' part. 'Believe in me or burn' does go against the notion of loving your enemies.

Joe6Pack wrote:
The reason I ask is because I am somewhat of a fence setter as far as being an anti-theist. If I am wrong I will gladly become an anti-theist. If I am right, I still have no inention what so ever of discouraging anti-theists in any way. I feel that we are all better off without religion. However, I don't see religion going away anytime soon, so I am going to go with the "If ya can't beat em join em" and make positive change within church. I plan on being good cop without discouraging other non-theists from being bad cop. I am for what works and for what is necessary...but I am not sure of what all is necessary. I want to be open minded to what others have to offer. I have no interest in smear tactics against anti-theists. I am sick, sick sick of superstition. I am pro science and pro ethics and I strongly feel that we can make advances in these only through reason and empathy...not superstition. I have no problems with the bad cop aproach, but I personly would rather try something different that might help in mitigating harm. I support anti-theists and especially anyone who has had bad experinces due to religion.

There are some that are anti-theist, but that is primarily due to the idea that without theists then there is no theism. That sounds extremist, but the idea is not to kill them but rather help them deconvert.

Have you ever heard of anyone close to you, "Putting it in god's hands?" How did that make you feel? I'm willing to bet that it might have revulsed you that someone was essentially giving up on themselves. My question: Where did they get that notion that it was okay to give up?

It was their belief in god, or theism. That's why I am anti-THEISM, but not anti-theist. It's essentially a 'hate the sin, love the sinner' thing with believing in fairy tale miracles and promises of an afterlife as the sin. lol.

As far as being 'bad cop', I don't really see that because I feel awful when I don't speak up. It seems to be negligent(at fault) if I don't say something.

If there's a fire in a movie theatre and you don't tell anyone or get some water then are you really blameless even though you didn't start it?

Joe6Pack wrote:
BTW I am a christian apostate and a pantheist. And my name is not Joe its Tyler. I chose the name Joe6Pack because of a thread here that offended me. I am uneducated and I have a short attention span. I have to work harder at retaining what I read than many others. I feel the world would be a better place if everyone tried to become critical thinkers to the best of thier ability regardless of IQ, job/career, degress what ever. I think that elitists should stop trying to manipulate us dumb dumbs and start finding way to get us to be more rational. Look at the Republican party, those fuckers are eletist scum who love to pray on Joe sixpacks ignorance, prejudices and supersition. I am not against conservatism, but the neacon elistist's have got to go. Any politicians that use religion are eletist scum.

There is your reason for speaking up. If a good person is a good person then why do they have to sell their religion right along with themselves. Politicians get just as confused with their emotions and ethics as the rest of us. When they do, they just excuse themselves as being religious and waiting for divine intervention to show them the way. It goes right back to someone giving up on themselves.

As far as pantheism, if everything is god then nothing is. Sure. There's a lot of things unexplained by science, but it bothers me when people think that there just isn't an answer so everything is god. Why do you hold to pantheism?

Joe6Pack wrote:
As much as I hate the bible and superstition I just don't see Jesus as a Republican let alone a politician, and so if a Christian must be a Christian they should do it right. Keep your religion out of politics. Democracy is worldy so vote as if there is no God if you are going to vote. That way you can be sympathetic to the needs of others. Some people have different values than you do theists. Besides you can not use scripture to justify taking our persuit of happiness away from us.You have no authoirty from Jesus. Conservative Christians are nothing but a bunch of pharasees. Advances in stem cell, the issue of gay marriage, advances in medicine through a proper respect of evolutionary theory....theists if you are wrong you are trashing our one and only life when you try to use laws in coercing your superstitious prejudices. Kindly keep your religion in the realm of changing minds and not law. If I come off as stupid, don't worry, I plan on learning logic and others things that might help me in critical thinking. It doesn't hurt me none if people correct me either. I am all for being rational even though I sometimes have difficulty being rashional. I love having opinions and so I want rational opinions. My sister told me to talk to you guys. I hope some of you have time for an irrational person like myself a Joe6Pack.

I wish I could think that religion was a good thing for changing minds. More often than not, it seems like it just 'guilts' people into submission. That's why politicians use it.

Of a sort, jesus was a politician. Look at all of the gods that he supposedly had to sway people away from. Paul was definitely a politician, shit he started out as one.

By the way, people who want to keep government and religion separate are called secularists. secularism is the idea that state and religion must be kept separate.

I was just as offended by the 'Joe six-pack' remark as you are. Just because I don't have a degree from some prestigious university, doesn't mean that I am not as capable of freethought.

I wonder if they could walk a week in my wal-mart workshoes($15.88) or even eat healthy on a budget.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

centure7
User is offlineOffline
Joe6Pack wrote: I feel that

Joe6Pack wrote:
I feel that atheists should encourage everyone to make positive changes using reason to the best of thier abilty and that joe6pack has something to offer even if we arent as smart as a lot of atheists. I think free thought should be encouraged, because even us nitwits can improve and be less of a pain in the ass through an outreach that shows the value of freethought and atheists have the right and owe it to theists to give thier opinions and criticisms.
 You are right. We all have trillions of brain cells to contribute with. Nearly every human has the capacity for a high-level education if the effort is put into it.

FGL
User is offlineOffline
I did make the joe6

I did make the joe6 comment, though I was paraphrasing the talk by Rabbi Wine at the conference.

I still think it true: skepticism, logic, freethought have little appeal to joe6pack.

I'm just not sure the OP is one (a joe 6pack).

The Rabbi's comment struck a chord with me because I have strong opinions about the role of IQ in predicting success in life.

Joe6pack, to me, is the guy who neither uses nor understands nor cares about logic when debating or deciding what to believe in.

Just not knowing something is fine; we're all ignorant about many things, but that can be corrected.

Joe6pack is they guy who forms strong opinions without having read anything on the topic. He believes x when five minutes of research would clearly show y.

Asking why there are no crockoducks; or how come monkeys still exist since we evolved from them, are joe6pack comments.

If you're actively seeking out knowledge and willing to keep an open mind about what you believe in or don't, then you're not a joe6.

How this ties in to IQ-- I believe that one needs some minimal level of IQ (not a lot; certainly less than 100) to be able to escape the joe6 mentality.

Some dumb people are atheists and some theists are brilliant, but line up 100s of people at the extremes of IQ and I'd bet you'd get a significant difference where the low end is over-represented by joes and the high end is over-represented by skeptics.

I hope this clarifies where I'm coming from. I think the above comments are defensable, and they no way imply that I think all theists are dumb, or that one needs a high (versus some minimum level of) IQ to be a skeptic. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Tyler and welcome to the

Hi Tyler and welcome to the forums.  You've been lurking for awhile so I guess this is your "official" welcome.  Laughing

Don't sell yourself short.  It's obvious you're not a "dumb dumb" (as you put it).

I think your signature says it all and we're very happy to have your here!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, Joe6Pack. I need to

Sorry, Joe6Pack. I need to hijack for one post.

FGL wrote:

I did make the joe6 comment, though I was paraphrasing the talk by Rabbi Wine at the conference.

I still think it true: skepticism, logic, freethought have little appeal to joe6pack.

I'm just not sure the OP is one (a joe 6pack).

The Rabbi's comment struck a chord with me because I have strong opinions about the role of IQ in predicting success in life.

Interesting. I have strong opinions about people with strong opinions. Anybody give GW an IQ test?

I suppose it hinges on your definition of 'success in life.' The last time I checked lottery winners weren't required to pass the ASVAB to buy a ticket.

Quote:
Joe6pack, to me, is the guy who neither uses nor understands nor cares about logic when debating or deciding what to believe in.

I'd suggest a new label now that you've destroyed the connotation of this one. You know, like switching humanism with atheism and back when it suits.

Quote:
Just not knowing something is fine; we're all ignorant about many things, but that can be corrected.

Joe6pack is they guy who forms strong opinions without having read anything on the topic. He believes x when five minutes of research would clearly show y.

So is it IQ or ignorance? I say ignorance because many people have never heard of the contradictory position.

Quote:
Asking why there are no crockoducks; or how come monkeys still exist since we evolved from them, are joe6pack comments.

If you're actively seeking out knowledge and willing to keep an open mind about what you believe in or don't, then you're not a joe6.

And if people simply tolerate your ignorance of other ideas concerning evolution then what are they? How can someone expect people to willingly 'seek out knowledge' if people simply shut their own minds with regard to their capabilities due to IQ or alleged social status?

This completely NEGATES any kind of ideal that three years ago I would have associated with the idea of humanism.

Quote:
How this ties in to IQ-- I believe that one needs some minimal level of IQ (not a lot; certainly less than 100) to be able to escape the joe6 mentality.

Some dumb people are atheists and some theists are brilliant, but line up 100s of people at the extremes of IQ and I'd bet you'd get a significant difference where the low end is over-represented by joes and the high end is over-represented by skeptics.

And some humanists are elitist assholes devoid of any consideration as to who might be reading their comments and misconstruing their meaning.

You may be willing to simply give up on those whom you would label as 'low end'. I cannot. I will not.

Why? Because I have had more success and WAY better conversations with people that you would shrug off as having a low IQ. The truth is that those people you discount on that subjective basis have never heard of the same concepts.

I don't think it is us that is confusing ignorance and IQ here.

Quote:
I hope this clarifies where I'm coming from. I think the above comments are defensable, and they no way imply that I think all theists are dumb, or that one needs a high (versus some minimum level of) IQ to be a skeptic.

Nope. You're still sucking air from my perspective. I did reply to your last post in the Harvard Humanist Conference and I would love to hear more about how you think your ideas and the ones at the conference are defensible.

Conference thread

Thank you. I now return you to your regularly scheduled introduction thread.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: "I'm

darth_josh wrote:

"I'm betting it was the thread about the Harvard Humanist Conference. The notion of giving up on people simply because of IQ or educational achievement was broached there. Some of our 'humanist' friends will not 'waste their time' talking to some people because part of their DOGMA(Yeah. I said it.) is that one must be educated in order to have common sense.

Joe6Pack and I have a lot to talk about."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yea. If your family members are theists or Joe Six Pack it still smarts a little to hear someone speaking of them as if they are incapible of being anything else but mindless automatons. I am them, but I am not them. I am just more curious about things that they are not interested in. I have different interests sometimes is all.  Also, if you are stuck working long hours at a job you hate, you are going to spend your free time on things that don't necessarily require a lot of thinking. Many people are too tired to think. At least it is that way for a lota folks. I think us joe6packs are capible of more than some atheists believe. Such a remark might alienate other atheists. I am an agnostic atheist who is also a scientific pantheist.

----------------------------------------------------------------

darth_josh wrote: "

Welcome to the site.

According to the bible, the old testament has 613 laws called the mitzvot. Each one of these is allegedly divinely communicated. The punishment for breaking one of those laws was always extreme.

jesus supposedly rolls along and preaches the beattittudes on the mount in Matthew 5 where he lays out some pretty new ideas with regard to the old testament including 'love your enemies'. HOWEVER, he said that not one jot or tittle would pass from the law. The law still exists, but the punishments are gone now?

Besides that, in the gospel of Matthew there is more decriptions of hell as fire than anywhere else in the bible or additional books that aren't in the KJV.

One could argue that the threat of hell would constitute FORCE on jesus' part. 'Believe in me or burn' does go against the notion of loving your enemies."

----------------------------------------------------------

As far as keeping the law, wouldn't Christians have to move to isreal were the preists are? The preists who Christians are supposed to exceed in righteousness? Hehe. I would think that Christians would have to let the jews keep and enforce the law? America is not palestine. I don't think Jesus gave Christians authority to make a nation for themselves AND that the only people who can enforce Gods laws are the Jews. I guess Christians will have to move to Isreal if they want to live under Gods laws. As soon as I get the hang of using the quotes function and all I will share more. When I was a Christian there were parts of jesus that i wasn't aware of from the NT. I think its a good idea for everyone to see just who jesus really is as all of the NT presents him. Jesus certainly wasn't the hippy type like a lot of europeans think. LOL.

darth_josh wrote:

"There are some that are anti-theist, but that is primarily due to the idea that without theists then there is no theism. That sounds extremist, but the idea is not to kill them but rather help them deconvert.

Have you ever heard of anyone close to you, "Putting it in god's hands?" How did that make you feel? I'm willing to bet that it might have revulsed you that someone was essentially giving up on themselves. My question: Where did they get that notion that it was okay to give up?

It was their belief in god, or theism. That's why I am anti-THEISM, but not anti-theist. It's essentially a 'hate the sin, love the sinner' thing with believing in fairy tale miracles and promises of an afterlife as the sin. lol.

As far as being 'bad cop', I don't really see that because I feel awful when I don't speak up. It seems to be negligent(at fault) if I don't say something.

If there's a fire in a movie theatre and you don't tell anyone or get some water then are you really blameless even though you didn't start it?"

I never took anti-theism to be anti-human or any thing facist. I know personaly one anti-theist who is a very gentle and caring person that cares about people.

"Putting it in god's hands?" If I took my car in to be fixed and then the mechanic came out and did nothing but dance about and shake chicken blood on my car and then actually expected me to pay him for a job well done I would kick him in the nuts. I totally agree with you here, but I think some sort of plan B to your plan A is in order. I want to challenge christians to demand that any Christian, even thier own pastor prove through scripture thier claims. I am not interested in getting them to stop believing in the tooth fairy, but I want them to make other christians prove that what they are saying is actually biblical to begin with. Not only that but I want to see Christians reading thier bibles without anyones help in understanding what the bibles writers are really saying. Why? Because they just might eventually lose faith altogether. I don't have to pretend to be a christian to go to my church, but I don't have to disprove God either in order to do some good IMHO. I just can't get myself to yank God away from them. If my dog had rabbies I would need some one else to do what is necessary. I just cant do it. But I don't mind trying to plant seeds of doubt in subtle ways.

All I can say is that I am glad that there are others who can do what I can not. I fully support what the RRS is doing here.

darth_josh wrote:

"There is your reason for speaking up. If a good person is a good person then why do they have to sell their religion right along with themselves. Politicians get just as confused with their emotions and ethics as the rest of us. When they do, they just excuse themselves as being religious and waiting for divine intervention to show them the way. It goes right back to someone giving up on themselves."

I totally agree. But I think that some people are afraid of anti-theism because they are afraid of feeling guilt for not doing something as well. The best that my temperment alows me to do is get christians to read thier bibles and challenged eachother and there will be a few who who will see the problems that can be found in the bible. I need to brush up on that as well. Its been a while since I really read the damn thing.

darth_josh wrote:

"As far as pantheism, if everything is god then nothing is. Sure. There's a lot of things unexplained by science, but it bothers me when people think that there just isn't an answer so everything is god. Why do you hold to pantheism?"

Hehe. Nature inspires certain feelings in me and unfortunately I love to use non-sense words like God and stuff. I enjoy being irrational, but I do admit that what I am doing is irrational. My sister told me that God is a great idea so long as we know and admit that he is make believe and the idea of God can inspire us in constructive ways so long as we realize that not only is God not real but he is not perfect....he needs to be updated every now and then. Hehe.

darth_josh wrote:

"

I wish I could think that religion was a good thing for changing minds. More often than not, it seems like it just 'guilts' people into submission. That's why politicians use it.

Of a sort, jesus was a politician. Look at all of the gods that he supposedly had to sway people away from. Paul was definitely a politician, shit he started out as one.

By the way, people who want to keep government and religion separate are called secularists. secularism is the idea that state and religion must be kept separate.

I was just as offended by the 'Joe six-pack' remark as you are. Just because I don't have a degree from some prestigious university, doesn't mean that I am not as capable of freethought.

I wonder if they could walk a week in my wal-mart workshoes($15.88) or even eat healthy on a budget."

I never ment that I would pretend to be a theist and use religion to manipulate. I did a poor job of making myself clear.They can't kick me out of church, my family are Christians. So long as I don't try to debunk God or blatantly talk about bible contradictions. Hehe. There are subtle things that a person can do though. Eye-wink

I really did appreciate your thoughts in that thread darth_josh. Thanks. 

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: "Hi Tyler and

Susan wrote:

"Hi Tyler and welcome to the forums. You've been lurking for awhile so I guess this is your "official" welcome.

Don't sell yourself short. It's obvious you're not a "dumb dumb" (as you put it).

I think your signature says it all and we're very happy to have your here!"

Thank you for the warm welcome Susan. Glad to be here. Smiling

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
centure7 wrote: "You are

centure7 wrote:

"You are right. We all have trillions of brain cells to contribute with. Nearly every human has the capacity for a high-level education if the effort is put into it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree. Smiling

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for clarifying FGL.

Thanks for clarifying FGL. No hard feelings on my side. I disagree with some of what you are saying here, but since I do not really know for sure if most likely most joe six pack's would not be interested in skepticism, logic or freethought I can't argue it really. My guts tell me that joe six pack should at least be given the opportunity. I have a lot of respect for people who talk about free thought in schools or colleges or share about it with friends.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've made a few people

I've made a few people dislike me for starting shit with other alleged 'freethinkers' on here. The word 'tolerance' gets thrown around so often that we have to discuss our own take on it. I accept all people as human regardless of their beliefs. However, I will not tolerate their beliefs if they are harmful to them or others.

I envy you for your ability to maintain silence in the church. I know that you do so for reasons that are hard to explain or justify even for yourself. There are more people in the world in your position than I care to think about. Check out youtube and look for chadagg in the search bar. I have a couple of stories about going to church in recent years, but I'll save them for another time.

Just like your idea of christians making other christians nice, I gotta say something when I disagree with someone. So far, in my roaming of the internet, the RRS has been the only place to encourage ALL forms of discussion including accusations as to the character or purpose of the site. I wonder how many churches would actively ask atheists to visit for a discussion on Sunday morning. lol.

I appreciate your delurking and I hope it encourages more people to join in the discussions especially if they don't have degrees from HAHRVAHRD on their walls.

To use the quote function, you put a left bracket [ then put 'quote=(whatever name)' then put a right bracket ] then you paste the text. After the pasted text, you put a left bracket [ then the / and 'quote' and a right bracket ] that closes the 'tag'. After the end quote tag you type. You can do it multiple times as long as you close each quote tag.

Joe6Pack
Joe6Pack's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I've made

darth_josh wrote:
I've made a few people dislike me for starting shit with other alleged 'freethinkers' on here. The word 'tolerance' gets thrown around so often that we have to discuss our own take on it. I accept all people as human regardless of their beliefs. However, I will not tolerate their beliefs if they are harmful to them or others.

I always thought that intolerance was using coercion to get what you want. I just cant see that talking or challenging someones beliefs or ideas is the same thing as molesting the constitution or threating violence. Theists have done that but I never heard of an atheist doing it....

darth_josh wrote:
I envy you for your ability to maintain silence in the church. I know that you do so for reasons that are hard to explain or justify even for yourself. There are more people in the world in your position than I care to think about. Check out youtube and look for chadagg in the search bar. I have a couple of stories about going to church in recent years, but I'll save them for another time.

The thought of debunking God around my family, relatives and friends, I want to but that thought is very painful to me. Still there are subtle ways of going about it that at least gives people a chance. I will check out YouTube thanks. I would be interested in hearing about your experinces in church when you have time.

darth_josh wrote:
Just like your idea of christians making other christians nice, I gotta say something when I disagree with someone. So far, in my roaming of the internet, the RRS has been the only place to encourage ALL forms of discussion including accusations as to the character or purpose of the site. I wonder how many churches would actively ask atheists to visit for a discussion on Sunday morning. lol.

Yea, I like what is happening here at RRS.

As far as churches willing to invite atheists in...some might and some might not. To be honest my dad is a pastor. THATS why I can't get kicked out. LOL.

darth_josh wrote:
I appreciate your delurking and I hope it encourages more people to join in the discussions especially if they don't have degrees from HAHRVAHRD on their walls.

Hehe. Yea. Two heathens in my family so far. I do talk to some of my cousins about religion and what I know about the bible and they havent tar and feathered me yet, but yea I will talk to people about this stuff if I get the feel that they are open to it, but some folks are not going to appreciate me bringing such things up thats for damn sure. Sorry it took so long to answer. Thanks for talking to me darth josh.

FGL
User is offlineOffline
DJ I don't really

DJ

I don't really understand the points you're making re IQ, or to the extent I do, they don't make any sense to me.

e.g. 

That someone winning the lottery is a problem for my claim that IQ predicts success in life doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, because I call myself a humanist doesn't mean that everything I say is a direct reflection of humanists everwhere and the humanist "position" on life, whatever that is. I think the generalizations you make are as bad as the ones you're accusing me of making.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
FGL, It is my contention

FGL,

It is my contention that the hypothesis is flawed, poorly worded, and not indicative of humanist values as laid out by other humanists.

www.humanism.org wrote:

Page 5 in the slideshow

"As humanists, we refute every false distinction between personal and social world."

Edwords of the AHA wrote down the 11 points of humanism (2/3 down the page)

http://www.jcn.com/humanism.php4

He neglected to add a 12th concerning the spread of humanistic thought to those that have previously not heard of the idea. That is intrinsic to the other sites as well.

Thus my argument of exclusory practices of self-labelled humanists.

Labelling the movement as 'New' does not change the origin of the ideals. Erasmus will always be the progenitor of humanism because no one else has brought anything new to the table even at Harvard's humanist anniversary. The difference now is that it lacks papal sanction.

There are too many glittering generalities that have gone undefined in your posts. (Such as: 'success in life&#39Eye-wink

Your general attitude conveyed in your posts seems to me to be one of disdain for anyone you deem to be 'lesser' and that in itself causes me to continue on this line of questioning. heh. Call me a skeptic or better yet prove that I am incorrect.

FGL
User is offlineOffline
Ok, DJ, I'm with you.

Ok, DJ, I'm with you.

I guess I call myself a humanist, but whether humanists would want to be associated with me is another question.

That said, except for my thoughts on IQ, I'd bet my worldview fits pretty well with that espoused by humanists.

So, I'm not sure you can generalize my focus on IQ with a bias among humanists in general.

My thoughts on IQ come from my education; I was trained as an experimental psychologist. I've always been interested in IQ, but it's only been this year that I am devoting nearly all of my research efforts toward it.

One thing you might not be aware of: social science is very good at predicting what groups of like people (say 100 people all with IQs of 80 compared with 100 other people all with IQs of 110) will do. When it comes to predicting individuals / n=1, the precision is much less impressive.

Some specifics, since you accused me of generalities. Score on a g-loaded IQ test predicts:

GPA, r=.50

Years education, r=.55

SES, r=.33

Teenage pregnancy, r=-.19

Juvenile delinquency, r=-.19

Job performance (.50, for any job; IQ is the single best predictor of jp so far discovered).

Choice Reaction time (touching light bulbs really quick), r=.50

Inspection time (judging which of two briefly presented lines is longer), r=.50

There's more, but this is good for now. It seems like if there's some valued life outcome, IQ predicts it.

I think the link between education and IQ, also, makes for reasonable hypotheses about how IQ might moderate whether one is a theist / atheist, or how literally one takes the bible to be.

I note that atheists are over-represented at the higher end of IQ and in terms of getting advanced degrees. Something like 90+% of the NAS are atheist or agnostic, which is astounding given that only 10% of the general population is.

H1:So, I believe if we got 100 randomly selected atheists and compared them to 100 randomly selected fundies, we'd get a significant mean IQ difference favoring the heathen. This again doesn't mean all fundies are dumb or that all atheists are smart. The distributions would cross, showing a whole bunch of fundies with higher IQs than a whole bunch of heathens. But, the mean difference would still exist; be real; have consequences.

my second hypothesis comes from findings using IQ to predict job performance:IQ predicts job performance in a non-linear way. It doesn't matter what the job is, IQ is only important at the minimum end (are you smart enough to do this job, whether it's janitor or manager). Having more than the minimum IQ needed for the job doesn't help and sometimes hurts job performance.

For example, a janitor should have an IQ of at least 85. Having more than that won't make you a better janitor, but having less than that will likely result in failure. For cops, the IQ is 100. For CPAs, it's 120, but the same pattern holds.

My H2 here relates to the joe6pack comment I made. I believe there is some minimum level of IQ needed to comprehend / accept / use reason. Given that atheism is based on reason and not emotion or faith, I predict it unlikely to appeal to anyone who doesn't use nor understand reason. I think IQ is one variable explaining a large chunk of the variance in whether a person uses reason or not when judging what to believe. Thus, IQ should correlate with religious belief.

Given the above, I just think there's some IQ score well under 100, where fundies are vastly over-represented. The over-representation levels off with higher and higher IQ scores and likely crosses over after the 68% of IQ or so (I don't have any sense of what might happen with really high IQ scores).

Again, these would be group effects. I know some dumb atheists and some real smart theists. These person-who statistics, though, would be fallacies if there was a scientifically established link between IQ and religious belief (smoking doesn't cause lung cancer-- my dad smoked 4 packs a day for 70 years and lived to be 99!). I hope to see if the link exists. I will be collecting data on h1 and h2 this fall.

If I came across as arrogant, that was not my intent. Hope the above helps in clarifying where I am coming from.

darth_josh wrote:

FGL,

It is my contention that the hypothesis is flawed, poorly worded, and not indicative of humanist values as laid out by other humanists.

www.humanism.org wrote:

Page 5 in the slideshow

"As humanists, we refute every false distinction between personal and social world."

Edwords of the AHA wrote down the 11 points of humanism (2/3 down the page)

http://www.jcn.com/humanism.php4

He neglected to add a 12th concerning the spread of humanistic thought to those that have previously not heard of the idea. That is intrinsic to the other sites as well.

Thus my argument of exclusory practices of self-labelled humanists.

Labelling the movement as 'New' does not change the origin of the ideals. Erasmus will always be the progenitor of humanism because no one else has brought anything new to the table even at Harvard's humanist anniversary. The difference now is that it lacks papal sanction.

There are too many glittering generalities that have gone undefined in your posts. (Such as: 'success in life&#39Eye-wink

Your general attitude conveyed in your posts seems to me to be one of disdain for anyone you deem to be 'lesser' and that in itself causes me to continue on this line of questioning. heh. Call me a skeptic or better yet prove that I am incorrect.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
FGL wrote: Ok, DJ, I'm

FGL wrote:

Ok, DJ, I'm with you.

I guess I call myself a humanist, but whether humanists would want to be associated with me is another question.

I can't find one good thing about the label itself, so we're even.

Quote:
That said, except for my thoughts on IQ, I'd bet my worldview fits pretty well with that espoused by humanists.

To a degree, Joe6Pack and I feel the same I bet. It seems the harshest indictment against humanism is the people espousing it. lol.

Quote:
So, I'm not sure you can generalize my focus on IQ with a bias among humanists in general.

If no one expressed the same concerns that I have during Rabbi Wine's sermon then there is a problem.

This has been something that, so far, I have traced back to the early 1990's. Wine, Wiesel, and Banet are names that I am becoming all too familiar with. You are seemingly the only person to come forward with a working hypothesis regarding IQ while the rest have only preached support without the testing you have planned.

Wiesel is the only one of their number with redeeming qualities. I have quoted him often particularly in defense of the RRS and my own activism.

Quote:
My thoughts on IQ come from my education; I was trained as an experimental psychologist. I've always been interested in IQ, but it's only been this year that I am devoting nearly all of my research efforts toward it.

I understand. I don't have your same credentials. However, I have 17 years of observation of individuals in all of the mentioned criteria of your hypotheses. Thus my voiced dissent concerning the premises which you are basing the hypotheses upon.

In other words, I have had lots of luck talking to waitresses, gas station attendants, and other people lumped into your lower-end of the study.

In my "research", I have found that IQ has no relative basis to reasoning with regard to religion or the lack thereof. I'm not saying that every waitress, gas pumper, or other had a low IQ, but an astounding majority could not perform their jobs yet they were very capable of analyzing the fallacies presented to them with regard to religion.

In fact, and I hope he doesn't read this(lol), one of my crew is exceptionally poor with his life-skills and mechanical aptitude, but has found the parts of apologist's arguments that suck the worst. I couldn't get him to stop laughing long enough during Ray and Kirk's part of the Nightline segment to enjoy it myself.

Quote:
One thing you might not be aware of: social science is very good at predicting what groups of like people (say 100 people all with IQs of 80 compared with 100 other people all with IQs of 110) will do. When it comes to predicting individuals / n=1, the precision is much less impressive.

If not antithetical to the findings themselves. I'm not trying to denigrate the value of social science. I apologize if it seems so.

However, in almost every incidence there is an exception which makes it so difficult on the sociologist to present a valid rule that it doesn't seem as if they're accepting of the exception's data inclusiveness. Counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

I suppose that I could be considered a hard-core empiricist because I abhor the use of probability over observational statistics. (Cosmology excluded. lol.) Too many preconceived notions can cloud results just as easily as miscommunicated data points can.

Quote:
Some specifics, since you accused me of generalities. Score on a g-loaded IQ test predicts:

You were too general. I appreciate that you would share the specifics with us.

Quote:
GPA, r=.50

Years education, r=.55

SES, r=.33

Teenage pregnancy, r=-.19

Juvenile delinquency, r=-.19

Job performance (.50, for any job; IQ is the single best predictor of jp so far discovered).

Choice Reaction time (touching light bulbs really quick), r=.50

Inspection time (judging which of two briefly presented lines is longer), r=.50

There's more, but this is good for now. It seems like if there's some valued life outcome, IQ predicts it.

I think the link between education and IQ, also, makes for reasonable hypotheses about how IQ might moderate whether one is a theist / atheist, or how literally one takes the bible to be.

Oh yeah. I have read some of this before. I had to google 'g-loaded'. Wow. I had no idea that this is where you were going.

I know where we differ on hypotheses now. And best of all, I picked up the term I was looking for too.

I contend that atheism versus theism is an ECT(Elementary Cognitive Task) in and of itself acted upon solely by environmental factors concerning the subject.

As such, theism cannot be a priori with regard to a child. However, atheism can also be considered thusly due to my previous arguments regarding the fact that there are many theists unaware of there being an alternative to theism.

I hope I'm staying with me here. lol. This is much more difficult than talking to your run of the mill psychometrist.

People aren't given the option of red light/blue light to choose from until they get to the test. However, if they've never seen a blue light then they are slowed by the deductive process of 'the light that isn't red'. That may be an oversimplification, but do you see where I'm coming from?

As one example, I had never heard of the word 'atheism' until I was approximately 17 years old, but I already was an atheist prior to that. I had to operate on the 'not a christian' for a while and then finally 'not a theist' bases.

I could understand if the IQ tests were applied devoid of a conclusion based upon environment and then applied to the question of belief. That would be irrefutable proof for one of our ideas. Unfortunately, I just don't see how THAT would be possible in our given social situation.

One more little piece of this is that I don't buy into the g of the subjects in the criteria mentioned because as you said 'some valued life outcome'. Particularly with regard to SES and Teenage pregnancy. An established objective conclusion has not been met in my opinion because it does not take into account other options not presented to the subjects. Counting their only answer as wrong when the others were hidden from them in those two aspects muddies the resluts.

Quote:
I note that atheists are over-represented at the higher end of IQ and in terms of getting advanced degrees. Something like 90+% of the NAS are atheist or agnostic, which is astounding given that only 10% of the general population is.

LMAO. How many members of the NAS are there? 2,000 to 3,000 worldwide. I'd leave that part out of your argument because it is such a small sample. Besides, it's science. One should expect a majority of atheists in a field denigrated by theists.

Quote:
H1:So, I believe if we got 100 randomly selected atheists and compared them to 100 randomly selected fundies, we'd get a significant mean IQ difference favoring the heathen. This again doesn't mean all fundies are dumb or that all atheists are smart. The distributions would cross, showing a whole bunch of fundies with higher IQs than a whole bunch of heathens. But, the mean difference would still exist; be real; have consequences.

This is a working hypothesis. However, establishment of 'true atheist' and 'true fundie' criteria would need to meet at a standard, not random selection. For instance, all presbyterians or all of one group of atheists(lol. good luck there.)

Quote:
my second hypothesis comes from findings using IQ to predict job performance:IQ predicts job performance in a non-linear way. It doesn't matter what the job is, IQ is only important at the minimum end (are you smart enough to do this job, whether it's janitor or manager). Having more than the minimum IQ needed for the job doesn't help and sometimes hurts job performance.

For example, a janitor should have an IQ of at least 85. Having more than that won't make you a better janitor, but having less than that will likely result in failure. For cops, the IQ is 100. For CPAs, it's 120, but the same pattern holds.

That sounds like a better avenue to research. Still very subjective unless a single job is being performed. Comparing janitors to driv-thru workers wouldn't work though. Janitors to janitors or managers to managers.

One of my problems with social science is also the lack of control subjects in the experiments. That's just me though. Most often I value the opinions of people that study other people in the most objective manner possible.

Quote:
My H2 here relates to the joe6pack comment I made. I believe there is some minimum level of IQ needed to comprehend / accept / use reason. Given that atheism is based on reason and not emotion or faith, I predict it unlikely to appeal to anyone who doesn't use nor understand reason. I think IQ is one variable explaining a large chunk of the variance in whether a person uses reason or not when judging what to believe. Thus, IQ should correlate with religious belief.

I think that I already established why I disagree with this earlier in the post. Ignorance of the other side of the issue until the test just doesn't seem fair.

That's why I say that everyone needs to be given the choice in complete form regardless of IQ.

Quote:
Given the above, I just think there's some IQ score well under 100, where fundies are vastly over-represented. The over-representation levels off with higher and higher IQ scores and likely crosses over after the 68% of IQ or so (I don't have any sense of what might happen with really high IQ scores).

Perhaps my experiences have been with higher IQ people than I had thought. 17 years of interaction is awfully hard to overlook for me, but if your research does reach the posited conclusions then I have so much more personal data to analyze in a different manner than I thought. We're talking in the thousands and some if not most contradictory to the g conclusions earlier.

For instance, unmarried teen mothers deconverted = ~70%

dads before 19 deconverted = ~50%

Poor people deconverted = more often than not. too many to count, but I can name quite a few.

dropouts deconverted = high. maybe 70-80%

Keep in mind that I don't count the ones that don't get back to me.

Quote:
Again, these would be group effects. I know some dumb atheists and some real smart theists. These person-who statistics, though, would be fallacies if there was a scientifically established link between IQ and religious belief (smoking doesn't cause lung cancer-- my dad smoked 4 packs a day for 70 years and lived to be 99!). I hope to see if the link exists. I will be collecting data on h1 and h2 this fall.

Well, mark me down for inconclusiveness with regard to any overpowering results. I'd put down a bet, but my SES isn't what it used to be. lol.

Quote:
If I came across as arrogant, that was not my intent. Hope the above helps in clarifying where I am coming from.

Ditto. Sometimes we just can't help it.

Well, I gotta go to the diner. The short order cook wanted to talk more about the CERN particle accelerator. I printed out some of the diagrams for us to look at over my double cheeseburger. Amazing how quickly he comprehended the concept of smashing protons together to find the smaller pieces of the universe. He understood matter/energy conservation before I even told him there was a physical law about it.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Tyler

Welcome Tyler

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Good to have you Tyler.

Though I can't get Dale's voice out of my head when I'm reading your posts. Sealed

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear