Introducing myself

marcdraco
User is offlineOffline
Introducing myself

Hello,

I'm just popping in here to introduce myself.

I am Marc a 5'10" ape from Middlesbrough in England. I live horribly close to King's Academy which is run by evangelical Christian, Sir Peter Vardy under the auspices of the City Academies Programme: a private finance initiative to help kids from poor backgrounds to get a better education.

The theory is rather difference from the practise as Vardy is almost as controversial as Tomkat and his beliefs are almost as bizarre. Unusually in the UK he belongs to a small but growing group of "stupids" who believe in Creationism. It's widely believed that Vardy's people teach creationism in science (which they may have in the past) but it's generally reckoned now that this is a red-herring and these extreme views have been moved to other subjects. That's not to say that creationism isn't taught, it's just not taught where the government says it can't be.

However, Vardy's people are quick to point out the usual B/S that Darwinism is "only a theory", one of the first things that I noticed and the reason that I converted from a quiet atheist minding my own business into an activist. I continue to campaign on the web, in letters to MPs and to anyone who can change these ideas  and I will do so while I draw breath.

Children need educating about facts, not pleasant ideas. I'm a parent - this matters to me!

Thought for the week. Got to your local church, sit in the back for a while and right in the middle of prayer, run out waving your hands and screaming, "HELP! The Stupid has me!"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site!

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome mate. I know

Welcome mate. I know someone from another forum who goes to another of Vardy's city academies, I wasn't aware till now he had more than one. I'm hopeful that Gordon Brown might put a stop to them when he comes to power this summer.

My flatmate is from Middlesborough, not seen him in ages thinking about it.

marcdraco
User is offlineOffline
More than one? He has

More than one? He has several - the latest one is being pushed through by the labour council's executive (of THREE people) and will take children from four years old.

Everyone should take a look here for the latest news on that one.

http://www.neag.info/

My site with more on Vardy (and his men) is here:

http://www.marcdraco.co.uk

Thought for the week. Got to your local church, sit in the back for a while and right in the middle of prayer, run out waving your hands and screaming, "HELP! The Stupid has me!"

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!!

Welcome aboard!!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now I will extend an

Now I will extend an "official" welcome!

Thanks for the introduction.

We're getting a lot of folks from the U.K. these days!  That's absolutely terrific!!!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.