Free Thinking?

terra73
Theist
terra73's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free Thinking?

I find many things fairly humorous about this site. Particularly the pity party it seems to be. As well as the same rehash half-cocked rhetoric. What are you saving people from... ? To dismiss religion as irrationality is quite missing the point of religion. Therefore let us quote St. Carl and ponder the mystic musings of Archbishop Dawkins. Dogma is dogma. i would expect the intergrity with which the topic of theism against that of atheism to be a bit more present especially since the call to eradicate theism is such an urgent concern in your minds. I also find it pretty cute how you quote scripture. The way you approach any book determines what you get out of it. If you have convinced yourselves of great and profound truths from your extensive study of it, then your exegetical skills are truly out of proportion with the righteous task at hand. It is not my taskto convince you of my beliefs nor is it my task to convince you that you are wrong merely that "rational" and "freethinking" are misnomers attributed to this site. "Whatever they read...they distort to serve the opinion to which they have once and for all enslaved themselves. ...they are like those whoin the heat of battle turn everything at hand, be it a pitcher or a plate, into a missile. Are people thus affectedable to form an objective judgment?"-Erasmus

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. ---S.K.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funny a science book doesn't

Funny a science book doesn't require you to be convinced of it in order for it to be seen correctly.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
We're trying to save people

We're trying to save people from believing in stupid things. And to stop the harm religion does - terrorism, distortion of science, discrimination, laws based on biblical nonsense, etc.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

terra73
Theist
terra73's picture
User is offlineOffline
It requires nothing if one

It requires nothing if one is convinced reality can be encompassed by a materialistic framework.

Magus
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't need math for

I don't need math for it.  Science says this chemical reacts with that chemcial... I test this and it shows that it does.  No matter what I believed before the experiment had no effect of the testing and result of the experiment.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
and the point exactly would

and the point exactly would be....

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not quite sure where you

Not quite sure where you get the pity party idea from.

I would say that many people here are truth seekers and are more interested in not allowing other people's beliefs to affect their lives and the laws of this country.  I personally don't care what your beliefs are, as long as they don't affect me or the rights of others.

Are you suggesting that non-religious people shouldn't be studying religious texts?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

terra73 wrote:
I find many things fairly humorous about this site.

I find belief in magic humorous.

terra73 wrote:
Particularly the pity party it seems to be.

Have you ever looked at religion, THAT is a pity party, "oh, i am just a horrible pitiful sinner".

terra73 wrote:
As well as the same rehash half-cocked rhetoric.

Again, are you looking in the mirror as you say this? Rhetoric is what religion thrives on.

terra73 wrote:
What are you saving people from... ?

Being deluded.

terra73 wrote:
To dismiss religion as irrationality is quite missing the point of religion.

There is no point to religion

terra73 wrote:
Therefore let us quote St. Carl and ponder the mystic musings of Archbishop Dawkins. Dogma is dogma.

Funny you bring this up, we do not give scientists or freethinkers these titles, it is religion who worships magic and men.

terra73 wrote:
i would expect the intergrity with which the topic of theism against that of atheism to be a bit more present especially since the call to eradicate theism is such an urgent concern in your minds.

Was that english?

terra73 wrote:
I also find it pretty cute how you quote scripture. The way you approach any book determines what you get out of it.

Yes, yes, we have heard this before. It's all how you interpret it. The bible is mythology, plain and simple.

terra73 wrote:
If you have convinced yourselves of great and profound truths from your extensive study of it, then your exegetical skills are truly out of proportion with the righteous task at hand.

English?

terra73 wrote:
It is not my taskto convince you of my beliefs nor is it my task to convince you that you are wrong merely that "rational" and "freethinking" are misnomers attributed to this site.

We are freethinking because we can think any way we want, this threatens you and your faith. It scares you.

{edit - fixed tags}

terra73
Theist
terra73's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll not deny that science

I'll not deny that science works.  But an empirical restriction epistimology has caused science to be wrong once before. It was called the Copernican Revolution and the champions of modern scince in that situation was oddly enough the church and Copernicus and Galileo.  Because come on empirically (from our observation point)the sun is the one that rises. 

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. ---S.K.

terra73
Theist
terra73's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mister BGH I do write in

Mister BGH I do write in english ... do you read english?

Magus
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: I'll not

terra73 wrote:
I'll not deny that science works.  But an empirical restriction epistimology has caused science to be wrong once before. It was called the Copernican Revolution and the champions of modern scince in that situation was oddly enough the church and Copernicus and Galileo.  Because come on empirically (from our observation point)the sun is the one that rises. 

Science isn't right or wrong it is a method. Science is the method of discovery.  The only reason science brings about an incorrect answer is when it doesn't have enough information. It is a work in progress.  It builds up as we discover new things.  Religion on the other hand is stagnant even when it is wrong or illogical.  It is a bad method (if you can call it a method) to understanding the world around us.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: I'll not

terra73 wrote:
I'll not deny that science works. But an empirical restriction epistimology has caused science to be wrong once before. It was called the Copernican Revolution and the champions of modern scince in that situation was oddly enough the church and Copernicus and Galileo.
  Umm...here's wikipedia's take on that..

• Galileo was required to recant his heliocentric ideas; the idea that the Sun is stationary was condemned as "formally heretical." However, while there is no doubt that Pope Urban VIII and the vast majority of Church officials did not believe in heliocentrism, Catholic doctrine is defined by the pope when he speaks ex cathedra (from the Chair of Saint Peter) in matters of faith and morals. While Church officials did condemn Galileo, heliocentrism was never formally or officially condemned by the Catholic Church, except insofar as it held (for instance, in the formal condemnation of Galileo) that "The proposition that the sun is in the center of the world and immovable from its place is absurd, philosophically false, and formally heretical; because it is expressly contrary to Holy Scriptures", and the converse as to the Sun's not revolving around the Earth.[14]
  • He was ordered imprisoned; the sentence was later commuted to house arrest.
  • His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial and not enforced, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future.
So, the church wasn't exactly embracing science there pedro.....

No Gods, Know Peace.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: Mister BGH I

terra73 wrote:

This is obnoxious, combative behavior will get you no where on this forum.  You came to this forum accusatory and pugnacious.  Is this because you aren't able to carry on a decent conversation in a civilized manner?  I imagine so.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: If you have

terra73 wrote:
If you have convinced yourselves of great and profound truths from your extensive study of it, then your exegetical skills are truly out of proportion with the righteous task at hand.

Props for using exegetical

Dictionary.com wrote:
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source ex·e·get·ic      /ˌɛksɪˈdʒɛtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ek-si-jet-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective of or pertaining to exegesis; explanatory; interpretative.

but that still doesn't make any sense..... mainly because we don't pull any great and profound truth from any scripture (we use it to argue people who bring it up to argue with us), and we see it as part of believeing what we believe.  If we can not understand the argument of the other side how can we understand our own.

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: Mister BGH I

terra73 wrote:

Yes, I read english. The two sentences I asked this about were very incoherent.

It is nice to know you agree with everything else I said and could only take a combative stance about my comments regarding those two statements.

(Mod note - antagonism is not allowed on the forums. Your first warning) 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: (Mod note -

BGH wrote:

Really....hhhmmm.....I might have to call this one...... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: BGH

NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:

Call it what... ? LOL

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: NinjaTux

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:

Call it what... ? LOL

Pot: Hello kettle, by the way did you know you're black....

{on 2nd thought: wait, that was in Trollville....nevermind} 

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Pot: Hello

NinjaTux wrote:

My bad, I will step out. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: I find many

terra73 wrote:
I find many things fairly humorous about this site. Particularly the pity party it seems to be. As well as the same rehash half-cocked rhetoric. What are you saving people from... ? To dismiss religion as irrationality is quite missing the point of religion. Therefore let us quote St. Carl and ponder the mystic musings of Archbishop Dawkins. Dogma is dogma. i would expect the intergrity with which the topic of theism against that of atheism to be a bit more present especially since the call to eradicate theism is such an urgent concern in your minds. I also find it pretty cute how you quote scripture. The way you approach any book determines what you get out of it. If you have convinced yourselves of great and profound truths from your extensive study of it, then your exegetical skills are truly out of proportion with the righteous task at hand. It is not my taskto convince you of my beliefs nor is it my task to convince you that you are wrong merely that "rational" and "freethinking" are misnomers attributed to this site. "Whatever they read...they distort to serve the opinion to which they have once and for all enslaved themselves. ...they are like those whoin the heat of battle turn everything at hand, be it a pitcher or a plate, into a missile. Are people thus affectedable to form an objective judgment?"-Erasmus

Did you come to this thread just to tell us your magnificent thoughts or do you have a sincere question?  I am sorry that you feel the way you do about this site, but I do not understand why you are here.  Many of your statements have been posted by others so your message is not exactly the thunderbolt you may have intended it to be.  

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
And these theists wonder why

And these theists wonder why we call them irrational...

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:

My bad, I will step out.

Boys!  Play nice.  You are both saying the same thing.  Now, kiss and make up or I will have to punish you both.  (Well, I can't really do that, but you should make up anyway...you are scaring the theist.)

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:

My bad, I will step out.

It was a joke, besides I think JCE likes the hostile BGH....gggrrrr....

No Gods, Know Peace.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: BGH

NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:

My bad, I will step out.

Ahhh...my two favorite atheists!!  You are both adorable and you cannot make me choose.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: NinjaTux

jce wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:

My bad, I will step out.

Ahhh...my two favorite atheists!! You are both adorable and you cannot make me choose.

....Embarassed....well.....shucks.....

No Gods, Know Peace.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Soo, was this just a drive

Soo, was this just a drive by judgment-slinging?

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Soo, was

pariahjane wrote:
Soo, was this just a drive by judgment-slinging?

Looks like it.  Darnit!  It looked like fun, too. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote:   The way

terra73 wrote:
  The way you approach any book determines what you get out of it.  

In other words, if you project something you think is clever into it, it sounds profound.... 

You could do the same thing to a nursery rhyme. That's what I find cute. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote:I'll not

terra73 wrote:
I'll not deny that science works. But an empirical restriction epistimology has caused science to be wrong once before.

The scientific method is not restricted to empiricism.... if it were, you'd be ruling out all speculative forms of cosmology. The scientific method is both deductive and inductive. Rational and empirical.

Quote:

It was called the Copernican Revolution and the champions of modern science in that situation was oddly enough the church

The church? 

You have your history backwards. The church even declared that if the earth revolved around the sun, this would refute the bible. The catholic church didn't even apologize for its actions towards Galileo until 1992!

As for heliocentric theory, it actually dates back to the Greeks.... without a christian church, Copernicus might have had to have found another job.... we might have had a working heliocentric theory 1000 years before he was born...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote:I find many

terra73 wrote:
I find many things fairly humorous about this site.

We do a pretty good job of making religion look funny don't we?

terra73 wrote:
Particularly the pity party it seems to be.

Well I really have no choice but to assume you are referring to how we don't like being demonized and terrorized by christian, moslem, jewish, and other religious lunatics; and that you think we are asking for an unreasonable end to it. In which case I will have to call you a bigot. Do you have a slave too?

terra73 wrote:
  As well as the same rehash half-cocked rhetoric.

Any time a theist wants to come up with something new....

terra73 wrote:
  What are you saving people from... ?

I'm saving myself and those like me. I have little problem with theists wanting to kill each other, as long as they leave us sane people alone in the process. Though I'd rather everyone lay off the god smiting bullshit.

terra73 wrote:
  To dismiss religion as irrationality is quite missing the point of religion.

On the contrary. We know the point of religion. We also know that it's use has come to an end, and it now causes more problems than it solves. It's done so for quite awhile now actually, but it's taken parts of our species awhile to figure that out. In time the rest will also.

terra73 wrote:
   Therefore let us quote St. Carl and ponder the mystic musings of Archbishop Dawkins.

I don't know who your st Carl is, but I have no choice but to assume you are referring to Richard Dawkins. He is not an archbishop in any sense of the word. He's a scientist who has discovered a few things and is respected for having done so. That doesn't make everything about him good. Neither does it give him a position of authority. He's still a man.

terra73 wrote:
  Dogma is dogma.

And science isn't.

terra73 wrote:
  i would expect the intergrity with which the topic of theism against that of atheism to be a bit more present especially since the call to eradicate theism is such an urgent concern in your minds.

I played nice for 10 years and it got me nowhere. Things are getting worse. The gloves are off now.

terra73 wrote:
  I also find it pretty cute how you quote scripture. 

Actually I don't. I have no desire to waste my time reading the entirety of the bible or the crap it was assembled with. I don't need to point out the hundreds of contradictions to show how your god is irrational, illogical, and false.

terra73 wrote:
 The way you approach any book determines what you get out of it.

Which is the only explanation you have for somehow missing the glaring contradictions and blatant lies within the bible.

terra73 wrote:

I suspect you use big words in an attempt to sound big, without even knowing what the word means in the first place. I find this most amusing. Either that or you're so delusional it's sad.

terra73 wrote:
   It is not my taskto convince you of my beliefs nor is it my task to convince you that you are wrong merely that "rational" and "freethinking" are misnomers  attributed to this site.

You've done such a good job so far. [/sarcasm]

terra73 wrote:
"Whatever they read...they distort to serve the opinion to which they have once and for all enslaved themselves.  ...they are like those whoin the heat of battle turn everything at hand, be it a pitcher or a plate, into a missile.  Are people thus affectedable to form an objective judgment?"
-Erasmus

Fits you like a glove. Congrats on the good choice of signatures.

terra73 wrote:
I'll not deny that science works. But an empirical restriction epistimology has caused science to be wrong once before. It was called the Copernican Revolution and the champions of modern scince in that situation was oddly enough the church and Copernicus and Galileo. Because come on empirically (from our observation point)the sun is the one that rises.

Showing how the bible isn't factually absolute just shows that it's not something to believe in at all. Thanks. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I, on the other hand, am

I, on the other hand, am neither a pot nor a kettle.  (At least not yet.)

terra73, your post does not present anything for discussion.  It is simply a very long insult.

Now you have had your first warning for trolling.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
terra73 wrote: I find many

terra73 wrote:

Wait. I want in so that jce scolds me too. lol.

terra73,

Paragraphs go a long way toward exegesis.

AND

To defend the 'freethinker' word: 

"Man's mind is so formed that it is far more susceptible to falsehood than to truth." - Erasmus

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.