Am I a theist in disguise?

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I a theist in disguise?

I received this email today in regards to my blog entry where I discuss an out of body experience I had many years ago.  I read ur blog and wanted to tell u u'r not really an athiest.  U try to convince urself u are but u believe in the afterlife wich immiedietly makes u a believer.  u'r struggling with ur desire to be an athiest when by ur admission u expierenced sometihing divine.  u'r in need of guidence to bring you back to THE PATH and i can help you if you wantI know not all of my beliefs conform to the usual beliefs of atheism since I believe there is some sort of disconnection that can occur between mind and body.  I base this belief solely on my own experience and not the word of others.  Based on that experience I have come to conclusion that I believe there is some sort of after life, but never considered it be "divinely inspired", more of some alternate form of existence.I admit I have questioned whether atheists consider me one of them or a fraud.  What's your opinion?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hard to say because I do

Hard to say because I do not know enough about you. I have not read your blog.

I will say this though, and you can tell the person who sent you the message. The ONLY thing all atheists inherently have in common is a lack of belief in god. That's it, the only pre-requisite. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you do not believe

If you do not believe there's a god, you're not a theist. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do not know you well

I do not know you well enough to say.  I am trying to remember a thread that discussed out of body experiences that you might find interesting.  I will look tonight.

It does sound like you may be a bit offended at being called a theist so...welcome! LOL  Ultimately, though it only matters to you.  You are welcome here and it sounds to me as though your non-belief puts you into the category of atheist.  Spirituality encompasses many things and you should continue to research it to satisfy your own questions, but do not let someone else pigeonhole you because their mind is too small to understand it.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeed.

Indeed.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god(s). In fact, there are some atheists that believe in psychics and reicarnation. 

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: I am trying to

jce wrote:

I am trying to remember a thread that discussed out of body experiences that you might find interesting.  I will look tonight.

I would really appreciate that if you find it, thank you.  Thank you all for your answers, it helped me a lot, both in how I respond this this guy and how I look at my own beliefs

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hah. The ignorance of this

Hah. The ignorance of this person is astounding, poor grammar and spelling aside. I too tinker with out of body experiences. It is simply a shift in your consciousness and brain waves, similar to having a dream. I suppose this person also thinks you should be a believer because you have dreams. Tsk tsk. Out of body experiences are fun though.

"Now introducing OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES! (Divine experience and enlightenment not included. Please see back of package for information on how this does not necessarily mean you believe in an afterlife or God.)"

*sigh* How misinformed this individual is.

Edit: Good luck on your return to The Path©.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta wrote: jce

Arletta wrote:
jce wrote:

I am trying to remember a thread that discussed out of body experiences that you might find interesting. I will look tonight.

I would really appreciate that if you find it, thank you. Thank you all for your answers, it helped me a lot, both in how I respond this this guy and how I look at my own beliefs

Took me a bit to find it - lol The thread is quite long and the post I was referring to is on page 4 from deludedgod.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/6211?page3

There are other references here, but this is the one I remember. Hope it helps a little.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL. You'll never find it

LOL. You'll never find it there, jce.

Studying NDEs and Religious experiences is tricky because a) we don't know what conciousness is, and how it is different from unconcious, and b) we don't know how memory works. The best I can give you is confirmed studies by comparing it with drug studies and angiogramic hemodynamics tracking.

We are very interested in miracles. We know they light up certain areas of the brain, as we can observe blood flow increases and ion channel synaptic increases with radioactive isotope tags.As it turns out, the brain spends a lot of it's time talking to itself. Not very much of it is wired to sensory processing. As I type this, billions of tiny electrochemical gradients in ion channels buried inside neuron fascicles are reversing, causing an influx of sodium, potassium and chloride to cross into the synaptic membrane. As a stimulus produces a negative electrical charge, it forces the ions through the channels and into a synaptic knob where billions of neurotransmitters bind to tiny voltage gated ion channels admitting the ions through the dendrite into another neuron producing a reaction. In essence, every controlled function works like this. You probably know that brain size does not correlate with intelligence. You want to know what does? Synaptic connections. Every time a new piece of information is gleaned, an axon makes a new link with a dentride, forming a new synapse. This process is the result of billions of years of painstaking evolution.

When a purpose is experiencing a religious "vision", a massive physcosematic response makes massive changes across the electrochemical gradient, "overloading" the brain. This may cause a deeply devout Christian to see Jesus, or a person to hear a booming voice in their head, or just a huge explosion of color. Any way it is looked at, it could be easily interpreted as a vision like Pascal had.

It would be a similiar experience to being on drugs in that it would have a similiar effect on the rotating ion gradients that allow information to be carried across the synapses. 

Miracles work on the same physcosematic responses. The placebo effect is very powerful and easily demonstrated. Have you ever noticed that "miracles" only take place on the very devout? Have you ever noticed that prayer only works if the person is aware that they are being prayed for? This is not suprising. Emotional upwelling like that has very strong influence on hunter-killer T-Cell lymphocytce activation triggers.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
come to conclusion that I

come to conclusion that I believe there is some sort of after life, but never considered it be "divinely inspired", more of some alternate form of existence.

I came to the same conclusion, but for a different reason. After studying quantum physics and neurology, I concluded that in a world full of concious observers, the term non-existent is epistemically incoherent. "You" die when you die because "you" are generated by a stream of biochemistry that makes up conciousness. However, because the world has many, many concious observers, the notion of nonexistence is incomputable(This would apply even if the multiverse theory isn't true, however it almost certianly is true due to hyperinflation tracking found by WMAP)

We call this quantum immortality. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: LOL.

deludedgod wrote:

LOL. You'll never find it there, jce.

Do I at least get an 'A' for effort? lol

Thanks for your help on this!  Laughing

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

Have you ever noticed that prayer only works if the person is aware that they are being prayed for?

Pub Med article

Not True.

{edited for link length} 

ttdm.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't even usually work

Doesn't even usually work then fo sheezy!

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
  MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

That's debatable.

I don't really approve of the study, but I thought I'd use it just for fun. I think if you'd expect a God to interact with you, you need more than just a few geeks in lab coats saying “Please allow for a safe and full recovery”. I’d prefer to see an extensive study conducted before I’d draw any conclusions.

ttdm.blogspot.com

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
He put truth in raised

He put truth in raised letters.

Not worth his salt. 

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: He put truth

Ophios wrote:

Not worth his salt.

Oh come off it, it was an accident. I have a tendency to capitalize letters when I type fast. I was not making an allusion to "Truth" just simply to what is true and what is not true. If you bothered to read what I wrote by the way I wrote "True" not "Truth". 

ttdm.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I definitely agree with Dan

I definitely agree with Dan Barker - nothing fails like prayer. The only good it can do is the placebo effect. Praying to my cats would do just as much good as praying to God - and of course my cats actually exist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I definitely agree with Dan

Flying Spaghetti Monster-damned motherfucking double posts!

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
He put truth in raised

Not worth his salt.

That's an overly harsh criticism. I do that sometimes too. 

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flying Spaghetti

Flying Spaghetti Monster-damned motherfucking double posts!

Gasp! You blaspheme our noodly messiah! 

-Me

Books about atheism

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
We must stone him to death.

We must stone him to death.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
LOL!!! I'm an equal

LOL!!! I'm an equal opportunity blasphemer!

Allah on the crapper!

Zeus damn it!

For Zarathustra's sake!

Why the Vishnu are you being so Mars-damn stupid!

Jumpin' fucking Mithra!

And so on....

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

cslewisster wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

That's debatable.

I don't really approve of the study, but I thought I'd use it just for fun. I think if you'd expect a God to interact with you, you need more than just a few geeks in lab coats saying “Please allow for a safe and full recovery”. I’d prefer to see an extensive study conducted before I’d draw any conclusions.

Or you would prefer they not count the misses. right?

I mean how could we know that the faith of the person performing the intercessory prayer is strong enough to make a difference?

"Nope. He died. Sister Mary, we need to have a talk about your faith because too many of your prayer charges have died this week. We're never going to convince them to keep giving us money for this study if you can't pray right. Daddy wants a new rectory."

Perhaps, the force is not with them. Maybe they need the power of three to affect the patient results. Call the corners? Draw pentagrams?

WAIT. I know.

What if, just if, we didn't waste our time and money trying to disprove the power of prayer and spent it on ACTUAL MEDICAL RESEARCH???

Pray for that to happen, cslewister. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
A little late, I know, but

A little late, I know, but in response to the original thread, you are the only person who can decide whether or not you have faith in God/Gods/Flying Spaghetti Monster.  I decide that I HAVE faith.  Others tell me I don't, and I don't care.  It is personal, if you don't believe in God, then you don't.  It is as simple as that...

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Or you

darth_josh wrote:

Or you would prefer they not count the misses. right?

No I would honestly like to see a comprehensive study done where they took into consideration things like religious belief of patient/prayerer, length of time prayed for, amount of people praying…etc. It has nothing to do with me wanting them to count the hits and "not count the misses". I would never say that we could test their "level" of faith. That seems ridiculous to even me, a stupid theist; I would never advocate such idiocy. My point; there are better manners in which to conduct the test. I much prefer a full study than to have anyone tout around a half-assed study. Which is why I'd say that I'd like to see a bigger, more in depth study done before I'd draw any conclusions. 

darth_josh wrote:

What if, just if, we didn't waste our time and money trying to disprove the power of prayer and spent it on ACTUAL MEDICAL RESEARCH???

I'd love to see more funding go towards medical research, but this isn't what this study was for was it? The study was to see what the effects of intercessory prayer are.  

ttdm.blogspot.com

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote: I'd love

cslewisster wrote:
I'd love to see more funding go towards medical research, but this isn't what this study was for was it? The study was to see what the effects of intercessory prayer are.

How many more studies are needed on the supernatural? How many more studies with inconclusive data for wishing someone better?

If the christians truly believe the bible, they should have absolutely ZERO faith in prayer. The bible says when two or more believers get together and pray, they will get what they ask. If this is the case prayer should be effective nearly 90% of the time, this is not the results when studies are done, rather the success rate of intercessory prayer is just slightly better than chance, at best. 

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't consider you to be

I don't consider you to be just another 'stupid theist', cslewisster. I wouldn't have bothered to post to you if I did.

I think that you would have to admit that no matter what is said, someone will claim bias with regard to their opposing ideological viewpoint.

To me, it seems a waste to study it in the first place. 

We've hijacked the thread with this off-topic atheist vs. theist type subject.

To Arletta,

It honestly shouldn't matter what your label is as long as you're comfortable with it. I prefer the self-ascribed label of atheist. It allows others to add whatever adjectives that they prefer. 

It also adds a hint of intrigue as to your stance on anything else. Like politics or music or habits.

I'm still trying to get the accepted definition of 'strong atheist' changed to: a person that can lift a lot of weight while not believing in a deity.

Then I would fit into the strong atheist label. lol. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

BGH wrote:
How many more studies are needed on the supernatural? How many more studies with inconclusive data for wishing someone better?

I don't know, how many studies have actually been conducted? I've only seen this one (though I'm sure there are more).

BGH wrote:

If the christians truly believe the bible, they should have absolutely ZERO faith in prayer. The bible says when two or more believers get together and pray, they will get what they ask. If this is the case prayer should be effective nearly 90% of the time, this is not the results when studies are done, rather the success rate of intercessory prayer is just slightly better than chance, at best.

I'd disagree with your Biblical interpretation though I don't have the time to go into depth with why. I honestly don't feel like doing it right now. ?

{fixed quotes}

ttdm.blogspot.com

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

cslewisster wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

That's debatable.

If this is the same one one of my college prof's told me about, they had different people of different faiths (cults, sects, denominations...whatever you want to call them) praying.  They were told to pray for specific patients and for a speedy recovery.  so, it wsn't just geeks in lab coats....and I agree with Matt....It not only didn't help, but letting them know cause them more pain.  Way to go Jeebus... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: It not

NinjaTux wrote:

It not only didn't help, but letting them know cause them more pain. Way to go Jeebus...

I think that that was actually considered to be a statistical anomaly by the study.

Also the abstract of the study does not break down the specific faiths, time spent praying...etc, so honestly I'd rather hear from a first hand source that is certain that this is the study.

ttdm.blogspot.com

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK. That's it. All posts

OK. That's it.

All posts regarding the power of prayer go here:

Proofs that prayer doesn't work

All others post to Arletta's subject or get deleted.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote:

cslewister,

See BGH's response here:

Proofs that prayer doesn't work

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta wrote: I received

Arletta wrote:
I received this email today in regards to my blog entry where I discuss an out of body experience I had many years ago. I read ur blog and wanted to tell u u'r not really an athiest. U try to convince urself u are but u believe in the afterlife wich immiedietly makes u a believer. u'r struggling with ur desire to be an athiest when by ur admission u expierenced sometihing divine. u'r in need of guidence to bring you back to THE PATH and i can help you if you wantI know not all of my beliefs conform to the usual beliefs of atheism since I believe there is some sort of disconnection that can occur between mind and body. I base this belief solely on my own experience and not the word of others. Based on that experience I have come to conclusion that I believe there is some sort of after life, but never considered it be "divinely inspired", more of some alternate form of existence.I admit I have questioned whether atheists consider me one of them or a fraud. What's your opinion?

Why would anyone desire to be an atheist? Theism claims that an infinite reward in eternal bliss awaits you, atheism is simply a lack of belief in the claim. 

Heaven is the ultimate fulfillment of all desire, it is impossible NOT to desire this outcome.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

This comment has been moved here.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote: Ophios

cslewisster wrote:
Ophios wrote:

Not worth his salt.

Oh come off it, it was an accident. I have a tendency to capitalize letters when I type fast. I was not making an allusion to "Truth" just simply to what is true and what is not true. If you bothered to read what I wrote by the way I wrote "True" not "Truth".

Not you. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
An atheist is someone

An atheist is someone without a belief in god (but doesnt mean if someoen can show them evidence they might change their mind)

There is also a new description out there called a 'Bright'.  It's an awful word but what it means if you have no believe in anything supernatural or anything that cannot be tested.

So you can be an atheist but not be a Bright (ie believe in non-god induced afterlife)

Personally I would just stick to being a decent person , we all have many many labels none of which can describe ourselves on their own

Jon

Human, Male, European, British Londoner, atheist, bright, Pastafarian (FACT!), single, desperate for a shag, Bablyon 5/ BSG nerd

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno

mrjonno wrote:

Personally I would just stick to being a decent person , we all have many many labels none of which can describe ourselves on their own

Jon

Human, Male, European, British Londoner, atheist, bright, Pastafarian (FACT!), single, desperate for a shag, Bablyon 5/ BSG nerd

Indeed!!!

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: The ONLY thing

BGH wrote:

The ONLY thing all atheists inherently have in common is a lack of belief in god. That's it, the only pre-requisite.

Also, we can spell.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: BGH

Iruka Naminori wrote:
BGH wrote:

The ONLY thing all atheists inherently have in common is a lack of belief in god. That's it, the only pre-requisite.

Also, we can spell.

LOL!!  I was thinking that too when I read the e-mail.