how would you respond

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
how would you respond

this was a post made recently on my youtube video, "godless america".

"religion and science work together. There will be things in both fields that will never be discovered. But the point of religion is to fill the gaps that man can not explain. How can science explain right and wrong, or love or hate. How can science even touch the things that we all feel are more than just the chemical make up of this world."

how would you respond to something like this? 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why have a "godos the

Why have a "god of the gaps", you can't know for sure or not, just say "I don't know". It won't kill you to say this and you have no good evidence to fills those holes with "god".

By the way, right and wrong come from your parents, society and empathy coupled with altruism. God is not needed for morality.

{edited for clarity}

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
The fields of

The fields of Psychology/Neurology. I am not an expert in either, but that would be my short answer. Emotional responses are triggered by the brain and while I am aware that no one has ALL of the answers yet, these two fields study the brain and continue to make progress in learning about it.

Sorry my answer is not more intellectual and todangst or deludedgod can provide more complete answers for you.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
and here's another bizarre

and here's another bizarre comment by the same person:

And you say that science has brought men out of the darkages of religion. but the Bible tells us many things that man did not know until 1000s of years later. Such as the exsitence of dinosaurs, that the earth floats in space, that the earth is round. its tells the cycle that causes rain. there are many more, but i can only use 500 letters"

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
nothing like making the

nothing like making the evidence fit the hypothesis after the fact to prove you're right...it's also the same book that says we lived with dinosaurs and that the earth is flat....

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: Such as

djneibarger wrote:
Such as the exsitence of dinosaurs, that the earth floats in space, that the earth is round.

The bible in genisis says the earth is formless, the earth was created with light for the day and a light for the night, before the heavens were created. Meaning god created the light before he created stars? Specifically the sun? 

Dinosaurs? You mean the dragons referred to in genisis? Ha ha.

You know pagan religions that pre-date the bible reference dragons also, does that mean they were correct about the dinosaurs before the bible was?

These arguments suck. 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was always under the

I was always under the impression that dragons were the result of people trying to make sense of dinosaur fossils.

People from that time wouldn't know what a fossil was. They would just assume there was this giant lizard like beast with bones as hard as rock.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote:

mindspread wrote:

I was always under the impression that dragons were the result of people trying to make sense of dinosaur fossils.

People from that time wouldn't know what a fossil was. They would just assume there was this giant lizard like beast with bones as hard as rock.

Your right and the fact that dragons were referenced by pagans long before the bible does not make the bible an authority.

{edited for clarity} 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think that the young

i think that the young gentleman who is making these insane statements on my youtube video is living in some kind of religious bubble, where reason and logic can't reach him.

he actually stated that he didn't see a connection between religion and the kkk or terrorism.

someone who is this far out the touch might be too far gone to reach with conventional wisdom. 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
but I bet they can be

but I bet they can be reached with a stick...

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: this

djneibarger wrote:

this was a post made recently on my youtube video, "godless america".

"religion and science work together. There will be things in both fields that will never be discovered. But the point of religion is to fill the gaps that man can not explain. How can science explain right and wrong, or love or hate. How can science even touch the things that we all feel are more than just the chemical make up of this world."

how would you respond to something like this?

Well on the brighter side of things... maybe.... at least someone is trying to let the two co-exist.  Most theists want science to die off for some weird reason... personally, I like things like penicillin and well string theory cuz its kinda fun (from a strictly English major point of view of course).  Anyone... bright side?  Hi, I'm Wishkah 311 (hi Wishkah) I'M A THEIST AND I LOVE SCIENCE!!!!! 

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: I'M A

Wishkah311 wrote:
I'M A THEIST AND I LOVE SCIENCE!!!!!

See she may be a theist and an english major, but she's also a closet science dork...(I'm kidding, theists aren't that bad...) 

No Gods, Know Peace.