Website Overhaul?

Ig
User is offlineOffline
Website Overhaul?

I'll probably get a lot of heat for this but I just cant take it anymore.

Every time I come here, I get so aggravated at how slow it loads, the way it loads, the way it functions, etc. I suspect I am not the only one that feels this way and may have the same effect it has on me....not visiting as as much as I would like.

I know whomever is behind the scenes is working their butts off but I think a new approach is needed. At the very least make it validate and make it less cluttered. This will minimize the jerky way the pages load. There is too much content being squeezed onto a page.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rationalresponders.com%2F

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had some problems loading

I had some problems loading some threads yesterday, but now everything seems to be working just fine.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't get in the

I couldn't get in the threads yesterday morning. I think a lot of this is the DOS attacks.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't get into any of

I couldn't get into any of the threads yesterday and most of the day on Tuesday.  I figured it was an attack or something.  Either that or my computer sucks.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've also been having a lot

I've also been having a lot of problems the past couple of days, especially yesterday.  Then suddenly last night: poof!  Everything was back to normal.

I was assuming the website was under attack. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Those motherfuckers.

Those motherfuckers.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fundies just don't know when

Fundies just don't know when to quit! I'm sad. Frown

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, they could have just

Well, they could have just had problems with the system or something.  We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions.  I imagine they would have posted something if they were attacked.

How ridiculous is attacking this website.  Are they really that afraid?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They did when it first

They did when it first happened. I asked a few days later if it happened again and Sapient said it had happened more than once in that time - so with as busy as the mods are here they don't have time to mention it every time it happens.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

Well, they could have just had problems with the system or something. We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions. I imagine they would have posted something if they were attacked.

Yeah, you're right.

Quote:
How ridiculous is attacking this website.

Really ridiculous.

Quote:
Are they really that afraid?

Yes.

Theists were probably behind the first attack this site experienced. Maybe we should stop making fun of their gods...nah!Cool

Ig
User is offlineOffline
It's not just the slowness.

It's not just the slowness. It's the spastic nature of how the site loads even when it's fast.

Another example is this editor I am typing on. Compared to phpBB, Invision or vBulletin, it acts very strange and doesnt have the funtionablily.

Yet another example is the side panels. It's way overdone in my opinion. I know you can tweak them in your settings but I still think it's lacking.

Last example for now...

On the left module where it starts with ESSAY CONTEST. That could be placed on a menu that slides out or down when clicked instead of taking up so much room.

Was just looking around at other content management systems and came accross Joomla!.

http://www.joomla.org

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe something to consider if you can transfer the databases.

More CMS's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Well,

pariahjane wrote:

Well, they could have just had problems with the system or something. We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Yeah, you're right.  Humans are creatures of pattern recognition. The website was attacked several times recently, so I assumed the trend was continuing.  We should wait until we get an official reason.  Perhaps we won't need one.  Maybe things are solid now.

Ig: I'm not sure who does the website.  Things probably get done when they get done because all of this is either volunteer or paid for by contributors. 

I agree that it would be nice to make the sidebars more concise.  I might actually read them sometime.  As it is now, it's too much of a hassle to scroll all the way down. (I have my print set large because of chronic dry-eye.)

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo found a problem with

Gizmo found a problem with the Digg module yesterday and we removed it.  Since then the site has been much faster.  We eliminated only one of the many problems.  Thanks for this thread though, your constructive criticism is being factored into the equation.  Please accept my apologies that I'm not inclined to spend much time talking about the changes we can or want to instate here, it's just a waste of time from my perspective, BUT I am listening to YOU, I promise.

We're doing the best we can with limited funds.  We fully understand we're losing some people due to our design.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad to know that the

I'm glad to know that the no-thread-entrance isn't just me.

Now if I can post without that error message.

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: comment_last_page() in /home/rrcom/public_html/modules/comment.module on line 1454

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Are they really that

Quote:
Are they really that afraid?

Yes.

Theists were probably behind the first attack this site experienced. Maybe we should stop making fun of their gods...nah!Cool

Doesn't RRS meet underground in a secret location so that no crazy xtians can come and attack? 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: Doesn't

Medievalguy wrote:
Doesn't RRS meet underground in a secret location so that no crazy xtians can come and attack?

Doesn't the RRS run a site that makes a lot of theists angry? Sapient usually receives death threats, maybe he should make his address available for those theists to see, to prove that he is braver.

Never mind, those theists wouldn't do anything about it anyway! But I wonder what the RRS is doing to piss xtians off and send Sapient death threats. Probably nothing...

Carry on.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Gizmo found

Sapient wrote:

Gizmo found a problem with the Digg module yesterday and we removed it. Since then the site has been much faster.

I couldn't get on at all Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening was an exercise in sloooooow loading.

However, I happily announce that the site is working GREAT today! 

Thanks Gismoi!!!!!!!! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, since we are in the

Well, since we are in the "reporting problems" mood, how about this one:

http://www.ixiancorp.com/misc_pics/rationalresponders_post.jpg

EDITED picture too big

(yes, I know, I have 1600x1200 as screen resolution).

Also, since the topic is about the site, could anyone tell me where you guys have this really neat HTML-interpreting posting window, complete with all necessary things? I'm going to be needing one for my site as well.

PS: I know, it was Medievalguy's post, I didn't pay attention when doing the image above, as I was annoyed to see a post being displayed like that again.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Mindspread.  I have

Hey Mindspread.  I have the same problem sometimes when I'm using FireFox and photos do not display.  I have to open a second window in Safari to see the pictures.

I don't know.  Sometimes FireFox displays them and sometimes it doesn't.  

Sometimes FireFox gives me the nifty edit window for posts, sometimes it doesn't.  At times like that, I have to completely close out FireFox and re-open it since Safari doesn't work well with the nifty edit window.

Hope that helps. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
Medievalguy wrote:

Doesn't the RRS run a site that makes a lot of theists angry? Sapient usually receives death threats, maybe he should make his address available for those theists to see, to prove that he is braver.

What if he gave out an alternative address and we set up cameras and had police standing by? I'm sure would create a hit TV show like MSNBC's "To catch a predator". We could call it "To catch a murder" or something more snazzy.... 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think a reality tv show

I think a reality tv show about atheists starring Sapient, Rook and Kelly would be more interesting. Smile

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ig wrote: It's not just

Ig wrote:

It's not just the slowness. It's the spastic nature of how the site loads even when it's fast.

Another example is this editor I am typing on. Compared to phpBB, Invision or vBulletin, it acts very strange and doesnt have the funtionablily.

Yet another example is the side panels. It's way overdone in my opinion. I know you can tweak them in your settings but I still think it's lacking.

Last example for now...

On the left module where it starts with ESSAY CONTEST. That could be placed on a menu that slides out or down when clicked instead of taking up so much room.

Was just looking around at other content management systems and came accross Joomla!.

http://www.joomla.org

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe something to consider if you can transfer the databases.

More CMS's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

I agree that the site renders a little strange, however at least on my computer (which is about 2 years old) it only stays odd for like a second before it finishes rendering (sometimes a couple but still).  phpBB has notoriously been subject to major security flaws which obviously is a concern here.  Also, the forums built into the website software which also allows logins and other things to span across many sites which I find cool.   

As Sapient mentioned, suggestions and what not are always good.  Theres a bunch content management stuff out there, however regardless of whether we try to improve this one or use a different ones (which would require a lot of work), there will always be issues for some.  

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote: I

American Atheist wrote:
I think a reality tv show about atheists starring Sapient, Rook and Kelly would be more interesting. Smile

Too bad the name "The real world" is already taken.... 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy

Medievalguy wrote:

American Atheist wrote:

Too bad the name "The real world" is already taken....

If they don't get their on reality Tv Show, they can always be on MTV's True Life.

Episode name: "I'm an atheist."