"Just wtf"

Nazookie
User is offlineOffline
"Just wtf"

Was surfing through myspace just now and decided to check up on my best friends profile of 5-6+ Years... The person I consider my brother.

Anyway, I saw this on his page and I just need to fucking rant.

"Just wtf"

Link to video:

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=b94bda53149c7d7f5958

Now right now I'm ... Upset, But I am not going to do anything about it. But seriously, I needed just to post about it otherwise I would of done something stupid... IE: Blown up at him because the video was just made 6 days ago which means he had 6 days to put that video on his myspace and Was thinking that we had settled everything but obviously not because he is pulling this shit.

BLAH -_-

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
This guy says he's a

This guy says he's a minister.  He's making all the same excuses as all the other theists who go on and on about the Blasphemy Challenge.

It's a shame he can't respect your beliefs and feels a need to rant on the web.

Actually, I'm amazed that a minister is/was your best friend for all these years. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Nazookie
User is offlineOffline
Nah the minister isn't my

Nah the minister isn't my friend, He just put the video of the minister talking on his profile ... But he would of had to of down it in the last 6 days.. And well I thought we had everything settled but I jused don't know anymore.  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm only really doing this

I'm only really doing this because godtube is sadly the only video site I'm aware of that hasn't been administratively blocked. Yet, anyway.

0.00-0.50 seconds wrote:

How pathetic. You wrap up multiple ad hominem attacks at the same time, all of which proving only your own stupidity, irrationality, and reading comprehension failure, without refuting a single valid point presented by the RRS.

0.50 seconds - 2.50 minutes wrote:

Actually I think you're the one in for a "shocker". For one thing, the RRS has already acknowledged the debateable nature of the blasphemy challenge. The fact of the matter is that it's an advertising campaign. You've fallen hook line and sinker. I would go as far as saying that since none of the atheists who take the challenge believe in god, the issue is pointless. There's no hell to go to, so the blasphemy challenges claims are irrelevant in that regard.

For another, the challenge itself isn't the argument. It is therefore incapable of being a strawman, which means you are the one presenting a strawman argument.

2.50 minutes - 4.45 minutes wrote:

This is merely a reading of verse which is in regards to the comments I refuted above.

4.45 minutes - End wrote:

You're suggesting that atheists are incapable of committing themselves to hell through disbelief. That's fine. Wasn't the point in the first place. Thanks, bye.

PS: You seem like a very angry person. I suggest becoming an atheist. We are much happier people than theists. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. What a fucking wanker

Wow. What a fucking wanker

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
friendship with different

friendship with different religious views are very difficult to maintain.  if he is your best friend i might would suggest not to discuss your views to each other in regards to religion. if you expect him to ignore the fact that you are in RRS then you should ignore the video.  sometimes if people feel they have been done wrongly they will retaliate with a greater recoil.

i don't know what kind of agreement that you two came to but he could still be upset that you have joined the RRS?

it is one thing to have a friend that is of a different belief but another to try to keep a friendship when something you believe in deeply is being challenged.  good friends are hard to find but if you two believe so strongly in your views you may just have to take it for what it was and step back.

it was good that you did rant it out before confronting him but now you have to decided where you want to stand.  i wish you sound mind in this situation.  i too have lost some great friends to different ideas, religious or not. 

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand what its

I understand what its like.  I lost my best friend and a couple others.  I didn't even tell my friends that I was an atheist...  With one friend, I ordered a beer.  I could tell he was uncomfortable.  I asked him a few minutes later if it was a problem.  He told me that I wasn't the person he used to know and he didn't want to associate with influences such as me.  We spoke briefly a few times after that, but each time was more and more distant.

Out of curiosity...  when you two were best friends, were you both religous?  Both secular?  Or somewhere in the middle?  Who's worldview changed??

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
You lost a friend because

You lost a friend because you had a beer?!?!?

Let me get this straight - not because you had a 12-pack in one gulp, but because you had a BEER?

Not because you ordered a tall glass of Everclear, but you ordered a BEER?

That's really sad that someone can be that closed minded, but it's hard to imagine being friends with someone that stuffy.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I reckon the beer was just

I reckon the beer was just an excuse.
The real reason was that they saw his avatar! Jawdropping!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: I reckon the

Strafio wrote:
I reckon the beer was just an excuse. The real reason was that they saw his avatar! :jawdrop:

Yeah, it scares a lot of us with great frequency.  Smiling

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: You lost a

Susan wrote:

You lost a friend because you had a beer?!?!?

Let me get this straight - not because you had a 12-pack in one gulp, but because you had a BEER?

Not because you ordered a tall glass of Everclear, but you ordered a BEER?

That's really sad that someone can be that closed minded, but it's hard to imagine being friends with someone that stuffy.

Yup.  ONE beer.  We were best friends, accountablilabuddies, (stole that word from South Park) and 'ministry partners' for many years.  Then we didn't see eachother for a couple years cause I moved.  When I moved back we got together to catch up.  I can sort of understand, we used to pray together, 'minister to the poor' together, and have little bible studies.  I sent him a little wedding gift a year ago, and he sent me a thank you card with a note along the lines of "We were best friends for many years, and though we've chosen different paths, I'll never forget your friendship" or something like that. 

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
he could have been dealing

he could have been dealing with a drinking problem or just shocked to see you drinking.  why he wouldn't at least talk to you and catch up is a little surprising.

sense you guys did have that history together you might should've warned him and updated him before the beer.  although i personally wouldn't have walked out on an old friend because he ordered a beer, people are different with different convictions.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have always wondered if

I have always wondered if getting really angry when you preach helps spew forth the holy spirit in a more concise manner.

What an idiot. The guy on the video sounded slightly drunk.

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: he could

sapphen wrote:

he could have been dealing with a drinking problem or just shocked to see you drinking. why he wouldn't at least talk to you and catch up is a little surprising.

sense you guys did have that history together you might should've warned him and updated him before the beer. although i personally wouldn't have walked out on an old friend because he ordered a beer, people are different with different convictions.

He never had a drinking problem.  I think getting the beer was my subconsious attempt to bring up the subject of life change.  Before the meeting, I remember thinking there was a chance he wouldn't be my friend once he found out I wasn't a christian anymore...  but I didn't even make it that far Smiling

He was one of those raised in a christian household, and he had the 'fear of god' instilled in him quite young.  He was taught to hate sin.  He lived out his faith. 

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just don't see how

I just don't see how insults directed toward the R.R.S. has any place coming from the mouth of a minister. Really bad example that he is setting for his followers.

Anyways, what the Bible is "saying" is up to interpretation. To say that he has "the right" way is arrogant. I mean, just look at the all the different versions of the Bible that there are. Slews!

And lastly, if the Blasphemy Challenge is in fact, not commiting a terrible sin, shouldn't we all just hug and kiss and get along? Have a good laugh about it? Pssh. It (The Blashpemy Challenge) must strike some sort of nerve in believers like him in order to spark such a heated, hateful message toward the R.R.S. 

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat