Pot distributes 350,000 anti-Kettle DVDs in Utah, hoping to convince Mormons their religion is a cult

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pot distributes 350,000 anti-Kettle DVDs in Utah, hoping to convince Mormons their religion is a cult

I stole the headline from fark.

but here's the link:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5537465

Quote:
Evangelical Christians claimed they distributed 350,000 anti-Mormon DVDs in Utah on Sunday, hoping to convince members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that the church is a non-Christian cult.
They said they gave out another 150,000 across the U.S. and Canada - about a half-million altogether.
Hundreds of volunteers placed the discs, which feature a picture of the church founder Joseph Smith and the Salt Lake temple, on doorknobs in a white plastic bag that said, "Good News for LDS." Others handed out the bags after Monday night's Jazz game in downtown Salt Lake City. Some confused it with the LDS Church's own promotional material rather than seeing the DVD as a critique of Mormon beliefs.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is an obvious and

This is an obvious and rather stupid confusion of the word "cult". A "cult" is essentially a small religion. All religions begin as cults. Christianity did, so did Islam. I think a cult might be classed as a religion with less then a million adherents. If Midwestern Evangelicals take cult to mean the stereotype of a violent little group that enjoys human sacrifice, they might want to look inwards...

Evangelicals believe Jesus will return to Earth any day now and initiate armageddon

Evangelicals (at least in some of the megachurches I've seen) believe that everyone who is not Christian will be eternally tortured by their kind, loving God.

They also (at least in the Bible belt) take the Bible literally as divine authority and believe in Genesis.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good work evangelicals, now

Good work evangelicals, now that you had some practice making a debunking this religion DVD get work on your own religion.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Wouldn't it be nice if each

Wouldn't it be nice if each religion passed out pamphlets and DVDs criticizing all other religions?

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: This is

deludedgod wrote:

This is an obvious and rather stupid confusion of the word "cult". A "cult" is essentially a small religion. All religions begin as cults. Christianity did, so did Islam. I think a cult might be classed as a religion with less then a million adherents. If Midwestern Evangelicals take cult to mean the stereotype of a violent little group that enjoys human sacrifice, they might want to look inwards...

Evangelical Christians, at least ones I know, use "cult" to describe any Christian-like religion that deviated from "orthodox beliefs." That's what they mean by "The LDS are a cult."

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evangelical Christians, at

Evangelical Christians, at least ones I know, use "cult" to describe any Christian-like religion that deviated from "orthodox beliefs." That's what they mean by "The LDS are a cult."

Thus demonstrating their ignorance of even basic English 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism