Short intoduction

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Short intoduction

Hey everyone. Just thought it proper to introduce myself. Growing up I was an extremely religious christian kid. (funny though, my dad's an atheist and my mom really didn't push it too hard on me) As I grew up I was exposed to more of the world and realized that life wasn't all black and white. After having my faith shaken by several personal events I became a diest. As time went on I became more and more disgusted by religion and its side-effects. I was never able to take the plunge and say I was an atheist until I met one of my college professors (an athiest) who told me about "The God Delusion" by Dawkins. I started reading it and finally said that I was an atheist out loud. (That felt soooooo good, like I could suddenly breathe) Now I'm trying to set up a "Free Thought Society" at my college. Trying to get that going will be.....interesting. I'm a sophmore at Lynchburg College. Yes, THE Lynchburg with Liberty "University" and Jerry Falwell. I feel like an island of sorts. With a college population of sround 2500, I know of about 50 who are atheist-agnostic, so hopefully the athiest club will get going.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  Please keep us

Welcome!  Please keep us posted on the progress of your Free Thought club at a place like Falwellville.  It'll be interesting to learn how far they'll let you go.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I am able to post back it

If I am able to post back it means they didn't burn me at the stake or abduct me for an intensive "re-education" program. Smiling

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Medvialguy. I wish

Welcome Medvialguy.

I wish you luck in your quest at Liberty.  That's a mightly big mountain to climb! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, Welcome Medieval

Yeah, Welcome Medieval fellow. Good luck with your quest! Glad Dawkins' book had that effect on you! It's what he intended it for.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Medievalguy - no

Welcome Medievalguy - no need to feel like an island anymore.  You are among friends here!

Good luck with the club and please inform any of your theist friends about this site.  It is always good to hear from them especially if they are open-minded and willing to debate.

Have fun!  jce

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I wish you

Susan wrote:

I wish you luck in your quest at Liberty. That's a mightly big mountain to climb!

Haha, yeah, not to confuse Liberty with Lynchburg College. Although Lynchburg college was originally founded as Virginia Christian College, it's no where near Liberty "university". Infact, the students at Liberty call us "sinners on a hill", a name we're proud of. If I attended liberty, the mere mentioning of wanting to start an atheist club would get my kicked out.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: Susan

Medievalguy wrote:
Susan wrote:

I wish you luck in your quest at Liberty. That's a mightly big mountain to climb!

Haha, yeah, not to confuse Liberty with Lynchburg College. Although Lynchburg college was originally founded as Virginia Christian College, it's no where near Liberty "university". Infact, the students at Liberty call us "sinners on a hill", a name we're proud of. If I attended liberty, the mere mentioning of wanting to start an atheist club would get my kicked out.

Duh on my part.  I admit that it was mind-boggling that you and others wanted to start an Atheist club at Liberty.  I guess I just saw the upper case 'L' and filled in the rest of the word.

I shall use old age and the late hour at which I posted as my excuse.  Yeah.  That's the ticket!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

My apologies for even thinking you might be going there!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hahaha, no problem.

Hahaha, no problem. Sometimes their kids come on our campus and try to convert us, maybe I could get a couple atheists together in nice suits and return the favor.....

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. You take the bible

Yeah. You take the bible they're offering and you give them a copy of The God Who Wasn't There.