So, I got attacked today.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, I got attacked today.

I live in Canada. Around 5 weeks ago is the first time I have witnessed the power of religion, or atleast when it started. A priest came to my door trying to convert me, I told him I am an atheist, he told me simply.

"May the lord bless you, we will help you in the time to come as well"

Well, then it started, 5 days later more people came, not the priest but people from the church. Almost daily for 2 weeks. Then stoped for 2 weeks. Then he came back himself for the past 4 days before I told him I would call the police if he came again. He said the police would not interfear in gods work. So I called the police the next day when he came, they took him away.

Today I wake up to a loud noise. What could this be? I go down stairs with a fucking brick through my window. I go outside and on the side of my house is painted "satan lives here".

The priest is still in jail right now, and I have a court hearing for the 25th of apirl. I never thought religion would get this bad in Canada.  Although I am a little scared, to say the least. I wish they could keep him in their until the court hearing, but hes only going to be in their till maybe tomorrow morning.

So anyone got any suggestions? I already bring a tanto around with me, but thats beside the point. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I would get a ranged weapon.

I would get a ranged weapon. I know canada has more gun laws so you probably can't get a carry permeant easy, but maybe a have decent shotgun would be of use.

Personally I would have bought out walmarts gun section if something like that happened. Fuck it half of it breaks who is going to argue with a five shopping carts worth of arms?

You could also bar windows and/or get a nice escape plan worked out. You could also look into setting up a webcam to record the outside of your house so if anything happens again you got them on tape.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: I would

Voiderest wrote:
I would get a ranged weapon. I know canada has more gun laws so you probably can't get a carry permeant easy, but maybe a have decent shotgun would be of use.

That's bad advice in Canada. If he ever had to use it, it's more likely he would get in serious trouble rather than getting off for self-defense. Unless he fired it in the air, I guess. The laws are pretty strict from what I recall.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: ...You

Voiderest wrote:
...You could also look into setting up a webcam to record the outside of your house so if anything happens again you got them on tape.

I agree with Voiderest on this point (not really the others).  When the preist and his followers came by your house, did you just shut the door in their face each time, or did you invite them in and talk to them?  If anyone ever came by my place I would definately invite them in and discuss the subject with them.  Things would probably end more peacfully that way. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
So much for "Love thy

So much for "Love thy neighbor"....

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't get a weapon, but

I wouldn't get a weapon, but I'd definitely put of survellience and get a decent security system.  Unfortunately bars on the window might be good too.  I used to work in a law firm and it's really very difficult to prove if someone has vandalized or damaged your property unless you catch them on tape (at least in the states, it is).

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd start by getting a

I'd start by getting a restraining order. Then I'd get a few cameras set up.

Debauchrist
Debauchrist's picture
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote: I live

James Cizuz wrote:

I live in Canada. Around 5 weeks ago is the first time I have witnessed the power of religion, or atleast when it started. A priest came to my door trying to convert me, I told him I am an atheist, he told me simply.

"May the lord bless you, we will help you in the time to come as well"

Well, then it started, 5 days later more people came, not the priest but people from the church. Almost daily for 2 weeks. Then stoped for 2 weeks. Then he came back himself for the past 4 days before I told him I would call the police if he came again. He said the police would not interfear in gods work. So I called the police the next day when he came, they took him away.

Today I wake up to a loud noise. What could this be? I go down stairs with a fucking brick through my window. I go outside and on the side of my house is painted "satan lives here".

The priest is still in jail right now, and I have a court hearing for the 25th of apirl. I never thought religion would get this bad in Canada. Although I am a little scared, to say the least. I wish they could keep him in their until the court hearing, but hes only going to be in their till maybe tomorrow morning.

So anyone got any suggestions? I already bring a tanto around with me, but thats beside the point.

It seems that American problems are migrating to Canada. Irrational people are quite dangerous. I'm willing to bet that the priest and his congregation really don't care if they go to jail or even get the death penalty for trying to save your soul or ostracizing you to save the souls of others.

I'm not sure how Canada's provinces are setup, but I suggest setting up a sort of neighborhood watch against this sort of activity and use the forum of a city council (or an equivalent). I think it's in your community's best interest to be on guard against this sort or evangelicalism. If Canada wants to be great nation that it can be, then Canada can't be terrorized or stifled by irrational citizens.

The only thing I can suggest is seek help from your peers and get them involved with this discussion. You might not be the only one being harmed from this congregation's actions. Perhaps the community can set up a mental health clinic for these individuals.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The scariest quote is

The scariest quote is "The police are not going to stop God's work."

Now this flies in the face of the theist arguement about morality coming from religion. They claim that we need to have relgiion in order for their to be morals and control. As if people would just go out to rape and pillage if they don't believe in God. However, here we have irrational people ignoring morality and the LAW because of religion and their belief in God. As if anything is justified in the name of God. Sounds familiar (Coughing and saying 9/11 under my breath).

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Since I'm more of a

Since I'm more of a pacifist I'd rather not advice you to make Fort Knox out of your house, and run around always "packing", I mean it would make fear get a hold of you.

Let's assume that the court hearing would at least provide something. And if they ring again open up butt naked (or something else evenly shocking) and ask him in for a cup of coffee.

No joke, dead serious. Althought I do not have the chance to undress when a Jehova's Witness rings at my door, I do try to hit on her/him just for the fun of it. (Some comfort with acting would be usefull). 

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
Tell them you forgive them

Tell them you forgive them and be more Christ-like and mature than they were. It might make them think.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote:   I agree

V1per41 wrote:

I agree with Voiderest on this point (not really the others). When the preist and his followers came by your house, did you just shut the door in their face each time, or did you invite them in and talk to them? If anyone ever came by my place I would definately invite them in and discuss the subject with them. Things would probably end more peacfully that way.

I always tell them I'm an atheist and I'm not interested.  I smile as I close the door.  Letting them in is a mistake. 

(Opinions are like assholes...) 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
V1per41 wrote:

I agree with Voiderest on this point (not really the others). When the preist and his followers came by your house, did you just shut the door in their face each time, or did you invite them in and talk to them? If anyone ever came by my place I would definately invite them in and discuss the subject with them. Things would probably end more peacfully that way.

I always tell them I'm an atheist and I'm not interested. I smile as I close the door. Letting them in is a mistake.

(Opinions are like assholes...)

...everyone has one, and they all stank! 

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

...everyone has one, and they all stank!

And many don't even bother to wipe the shit off. Sticking out tongue

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope, not making a

Nope, not making a fort-nox. However I do bring a tanto with me(It's basically a knife)

Went down, got a disposable camera, took pictures. Because you know, if you use a digital camera it can't be used as evidence.

Other then that, the guys out and I never got a call from the church or anyone for threats. The court hearing is just for damages(repainting, and my window which is about 800$ which my parents are not to happy about either) and a restraining order + mental damage brought on.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Voided
User is offlineOffline
hmm digital cams don't count

hmm digital cams don't count in court? damn I hope thats different in the states...

On the ideas of not waiting to own a gun well that is more of a personal choice. I'm not much of a pacifist especially when I'm on the defense, but I understand why someone would want to be one.

Honestly tho the idea that carrying a gun everywhere is letting fear get a hold of you is like saying locking your door is letting the fear of getting robbed get to you.

The tanto will most likely be enough for most problems and it sounds like the laws make it so you can't even shoot someone in the foot if they are trying to kill you. With that it might be better to just set up a little webcam thing. You can get a cheap cam and a program to record on a desktop.

Good luck with the court case.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Locked doors? What does

Locked doors? What does locked mean?

Heh, in canada, 95% or more of doors are unlocked. Most people trust one and another. 

For digital cameras, they can be edited without knowing the picture was edited. However with film it's to hard to edit it without knowing it was edited. Etc.

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cameras are the way to go.

Cameras are the way to go. Surveilance systems are relatively cheap these days, and easy to set up yourself.

I can't recommend what I'd do. I won't even mention it. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd prolly do worse. I

I'd prolly do worse. I should dress up as satan and when or if anyone comes jump out and go boo.

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
A priest? Do you mean a

A priest? Do you mean a Catholic priest? From what I know of Catholic priests, they don't go door-to-door like Jehovah's Witnesses.

If it is a Catholic priest, I would suggest contacting his superior or the diocese because I can't imagine they condone violence and destruction of property. Besides, the Catholic church can't afford a whole lot more negative publicity these days.

If, by chance, they are the Jehovah's Witnesses, tell them you are "disfellowshipped". Their religion forbids them to have contact with you. (Disfellowshipped means you used to be a Jehovah's Witness and then left the church. You have to be shunned.)

What do you think the reaction would be if you contacted the local media? How would those people react if folks started recognizing them and laughing? Would they slink away or would the problems get worse?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Scotch
Scotch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: What do you

Susan wrote:
What do you think the reaction would be if you contacted the local media? How would those people react if folks started recognizing them and laughing? Would they slink away or would the problems get worse?

Thats what I was gonna mention! Alert the media about the hearing, show them the pictures and tell them about the priest/preacher being arrested! I would definately make some noise!!

http://youtube.com/phillipetrindade - Reasonable dialogue about atheism. Please visit, rate it and comment. Thanks!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder what they'd do if

I wonder what they'd do if they knocked on the door and the local media was waiting inside with cameras?

Again, my concern would be retribution.

How would they respond to "That's not a very xian attitude" or "I thought your god was supposed to be kind and loving and that xians were supposed to emulate god."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder what they'd do if

[MOD EDIT - Duplicate Post]

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea he is a catholic priest.

Yea he is a catholic priest. Thank "god" my parents stoped bringing me to church when I was 7.

Thank god i'm a atheist!

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Catholic?

I'm very surprised he's a Catholic priest. I've never heard of Catholics behaving in such a way. Sounds like a stalker using religion as an excuse. Be careful ...

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
In that case, I'd definitely

In that case, I'd definitely at least contact the diocese.