Just thought I'd say hi!

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just thought I'd say hi!

I'm new to this site, and the forums, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Jim, and I've been an atheist for awhile (although I didn't really call myself one, but that's what my beliefs were). I didn't really grow up attatched to much religion, as my parents never went to church or anything. However, they did try to instill Christian teachings into my fragile little brain. The reason I didn't keep up with it was the "fear factor." I was scared out of my mind out of going to hell. I'd try to talk to God everyday, and of course, nobody answered. Eventually I decided this isn't a way to live my life, so I stopped it.

In my middle school, and early high school years I was drawn into other religions to try to find something I could identify with. It was then I ran into a few roadbumps too, and I fell into that phase where a 13 year old kid had figured the whole universe out. At that time I was really into spiritual stuff and the like, so I tried out Wicca, and some New Age stuff. However, just like before, I found them to be very unfufilling and to be full of crap.

Now I'm 18, and a year into college, and I hope I know better. I'm not ashamed to call myself an atheist, as it doesn't have any negative meaning anymore. I've seen the light that thinking freely, without having to abide by some fairytale laws, offers me. I hope to become more involved in atheist activies, like I have seen here.

Um, anyway, peace out.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet, welcome to the

Sweet, welcome to the message board! Cool

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the welcome. 

Thanks for the welcome.  Looking forward to becoming active here.  Hopefully also to meet some new people near me.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Jim.  Glad to have you

Hi Jim.  Glad to have you here.

It's always refreshing to hear the story of someone who came to your concusions using rational thinking! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.