The Silver Membership Badge

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Silver Membership Badge

Two questions: 

1. Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of the front end of a Star Destroyer from Star Wars?
  2. Am I really that geeky?
  3. Is it possible to like me anyway?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, my friend.

Yes, my friend.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me or does the

Is it just me or does the squirell avatar of american atheist remind anyone else of an Ewok?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like the command

Looks like the command section starboard of the bridge on a star destroyer. The squirrel was an extra ewok. Pirates didn't worship spaghetti monsters.

And we're all geeks. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Looks

darth_josh wrote:

Looks like the command section starboard of the bridge on a star destroyer.

Yes, but the shield generators are missing.

Only someone who spent countless hours taking out the shield generators of Star Destroyers (simulation games) would know that.

Several years ago, my nephew and I decided to take out a Super Star Destroyer using two X-wings. Once the shield generators were gone, the Super Star Destroyer still had a lot of shielding or armor-plating. We were out of proton torpedoes and were using lasers. It was taking forever. We were hungry.

I showed my nephew how to find a place where the Star Destroyer couldn't shoot back. We stopped our X-wings in hidey holes, tied rubber bands around the joystick triggers and ate lunch. When we came back, the Super Star Destroyer was still there.

I think we finally just gave up.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Is it just

Sapient wrote:

Is it just me or does the squirell avatar of american atheist remind anyone else of an Ewok?

Looks more like a pokeman, with the poke and the man. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Is it just

Sapient wrote:

I haven't seen you in awhile, Sapient.

My avatar is a Cubone.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
darth_josh wrote:

Looks like the command section starboard of the bridge on a star destroyer.

Yes, but the shield generators are missing.

Only someone who spent countless hours taking out the shield generators of Star Destroyers (simulation games) would know that.

Several years ago, my nephew and I decided to take out a Super Star Destroyer using two X-wings. Once the shield generators were gone, the Super Star Destroyer still had a lot of shielding or armor-plating. We were out of proton torpedoes and were using lasers. It was taking forever. We were hungry.

I showed my nephew how to find a place where the Star Destroyer couldn't shoot back. We stopped our X-wings in hidey holes, tied rubber bands around the joystick triggers and ate lunch. When we came back, the Super Star Destroyer was still there.

I think we finally just gave up.

The only way you're going to take out a SSD with a couple of X-Wings is by flying through the superstructure by blasting holes through the deck plating until you get to the reactor core behind the engines from one of the rear hangar decks. Then suicide yourself into the reactor core(theres no way you can blow it up and escape before being incinerated without timed explosives, which an X-Wing doesn't have). The weapons systems on an X-Wing simply aren't powerful enough to dent the armour on any Star Destroyer, let alone a Super class one. And that's if you could get past the shields, which are also a class above the weapons capabilities of a starfighter. Maybe you'd have a shot in Skipray Blastboat, but it would still take quite awhile. And most captains would be smart enough to maneuver the ship to put you back in range of their weapons fire too, come to think of it...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
Sapient wrote:

I haven't seen you in awhile, Sapient.

My avatar is a Cubone.

Come in the stickam conference room more often. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: The only

Vastet wrote:

The only way you're going to take out a SSD with a couple of X-Wings is by flying through the superstructure by blasting holes through the deck plating until you get to the reactor core behind the engines from one of the rear hangar decks. Then suicide yourself into the reactor core(theres no way you can blow it up and escape before being incinerated without timed explosives, which an X-Wing doesn't have). The weapons systems on an X-Wing simply aren't powerful enough to dent the armour on any Star Destroyer, let alone a Super class one. And that's if you could get past the shields, which are also a class above the weapons capabilities of a starfighter. Maybe you'd have a shot in Skipray Blastboat, but it would still take quite awhile. And most captains would be smart enough to maneuver the ship to put you back in range of their weapons fire too, come to think of it...

I believe you can also crash an A-Wing into the bridge, disabling attitude control. The SSD will then crash into the nearest Death Star.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

Vastet wrote:
The weapons systems on an X-Wing simply aren't powerful enough to dent the armour on any Star Destroyer, let alone a Super class one. And that's if you could get past the shields, which are also a class above the weapons capabilities of a starfighter. Maybe you'd have a shot in Skipray Blastboat, but it would still take quite awhile. And most captains would be smart enough to maneuver the ship to put you back in range of their weapons fire too, come to think of it...

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye wamp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger...wait a minute. That's not what I meant to say.

Ahem.

It's not impossible. I've set up full scale battles between Mon Calamari cruisers and Imperial-Class Star Destroyers with full complements of various fighters and bombers. I even give the Empire an edge because most TIE fighters don't have shielding.

Once you've eliminated the fighter contingent, the old-style Star Destroyer is vulnerable because it's built to defend against a direct large scale assault. A small, one-man fighter can penetrate the outer defenses, take out the shield generators, then dance back out of range. The fighter can do this repeatedly, recharging shields once it is out of range.

Then it can take out a few turbo lasers along the horizontal axis and hide there, out of reach, blasting the hell out of the hull. Alternatively, it can dance in and out of range while piercing the hull with lasers. After awhile, the Star Destroyer goes KABOOM!

Mind you, this is the old-style Destroyer, not the newer kind built after the Empire realized how ridiculous it is to make only two shield generators that are vulnerable to attack. The Empire tends to be over-confident. After all, who'd a thunk a direct hit on a thermal exhaust port could set up a chain reaction that would destroy the entire Death Star?

(Did I just out-geek you?)

By the way, here's a screenshot from X-Wing Alliance after applying Darksaber's Ultimate Craft Pack.  It upgrades the ship graphics rather nicely:

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: Waste

mindspread wrote:
Waste some time.

This is that silly Ewok Adventure. Smiling  I remember that.  Not quite as bad as The Star Wars Holiday Special, but nothing could be that painfully bad. Eye-wink 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Vastet wrote:
The weapons systems on an X-Wing simply aren't powerful enough to dent the armour on any Star Destroyer, let alone a Super class one. And that's if you could get past the shields, which are also a class above the weapons capabilities of a starfighter. Maybe you'd have a shot in Skipray Blastboat, but it would still take quite awhile. And most captains would be smart enough to maneuver the ship to put you back in range of their weapons fire too, come to think of it...

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye wamp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger...wait a minute. That's not what I meant to say.

Ahem.

It's not impossible. I've set up full scale battles between Mon Calamari cruisers and Imperial-Class Star Destroyers with full complements of various fighters and bombers. I even give the Empire an edge because most TIE fighters don't have shielding.

Once you've eliminated the fighter contingent, the old-style Star Destroyer is vulnerable because it's built to defend against a direct large scale assault. A small, one-man fighter can penetrate the outer defenses, take out the shield generators, then dance back out of range. The fighter can do this repeatedly, recharging shields once it is out of range.

Then it can take out a few turbo lasers along the horizontal axis and hide there, out of reach, blasting the hell out of the hull. Alternatively, it can dance in and out of range while piercing the hull with lasers. After awhile, the Star Destroyer goes KABOOM!

Mind you, this is the old-style Destroyer, not the newer kind built after the Empire realized how ridiculous it is to make only two shield generators that are vulnerable to attack. The Empire tends to be over-confident. After all, who'd a thunk a direct hit on a thermal exhaust port could set up a chain reaction that would destroy the entire Death Star?

(Did I just out-geek you?)

By the way, here's a screenshot from X-Wing Alliance after applying Darksaber's Ultimate Craft Pack.  It upgrades the ship graphics rather nicely:

Sorry, but that's only in video games. All such games seem to have physics defying attributes that actually allow you to do overall damage to a ship hundreds of metres long just by peppering the same few metres over and over. When actually flying a starfighter against a capital class ship, the only weapons capable of doing damage are the torpedoes, of which you have a very limited stock. Against a Victory class Star Destroyer, that may be enough. In the early days of it's use in the fleet anyway. Against a Super class ship, you wouldn't do more than carbon score the hull and put a few dents in it.

The Excecutor crashing into the 3rd Death Star was as much fluke as anything. By all rights the secondary command centre should have taken over after the bridge was disabled, but I guess Admiral Piett was too overconfident(much like the Emperor), and didn't bother to staff it properly. Not to mention that the Emperor's sudden death interrupted his manipulation of the force over the crews of his fleet, causing momentary confusion at a very inopportune time.

And as for penetrating defenses with a small fighter, I'm forced to point out that the Death Star was meant as a weapons platform and space station(and obviously ultimate weapon of mass destruction, until the Sun Crusher that is), to be accompanied at all times by a proper defense force of Star Destroyers, cargo ships, and other capital class cruisers. It also was capable of launching thousands of tie fighters, bombers, and interceptors. A SSD on the other hand is specifically designed to take on not only capital ships, but starfighters as well. The first SSD's didn't become fully operational until around the same time as the 2nd Death Star's destruction above Yavin and it's moon. At which point the tactics experts of the Empire had acknowledged the capabilities of a starfighter, and incorporated anti starfighter weaponry onto the vessels of the fleet. You'd need dozens of X-Wings, A-Wings, B-Wings, and a few capital class ships to be able to take out an SSD.

Edit: I should also mention that while Tie Fighters have no shields, they make up for it by being far more maneuverable than an X-Wing. They also don't have hyperdrive motivators. Technically, an evenly matched fleet of X-Wings Vs Ties would result in the destruction of the X-Wings.

You have been out-geeked. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm home. Where have you

I'm home.

Where have you folks been all my life?

Don't be too proud of your geekly prowess. The ability to destroy a star destroyer is insignificant next to the power of the force. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.