Layoffs at the New Life Church

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Layoffs at the New Life Church

It seems that donations New Life Church (Ted Haggard's church) have dropped half a million dollars since Ted was outted. The drop is so dramatic that they've had to lay off 44 of their 350 employees.

Layoffs Follow Scandal at Colorado Megachurch

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/us/06church.html?ex=1330837200&en=27c2dba37a0cfd8b&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

(link may require registration)

What brings a tear to my eye is that the donations have fallen to $4.9 million in the past four months, compared with $5.3 million in the same period a year earlier.

They had to lay off over 10% of their workforce because they "only" took in $4.9 million in four months? How much are they paying these people?!?!?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
wowzers. Think of all the

wowzers.

Think of all the houses in New Orleans you could build with 4.9 million dollars every four months!

Hell, they could have built a better levee if they'd saved up their money for a couple of years.

Damn shame.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah.  They obviously

Yeah.  They obviously didn't take any vow of poverty.
It seems a bit hypocritical to me that they're taking that much in and not doing more "good works" with it.
I'd love to know how much they pay their employees.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I'd guess that most of the

I'd guess that most of the money goes into the facilities they run.

When I was still a christian I went to a 2,000 or so member church. What was strange about this church was they never went into debt. If they needed to build something, they saved and payed up front. This actually allowed the church to spend a lot of money in "outreach," about 1/3 of their budget.

There was a larger church in the area, and almost all of their budget went into paying for their fancy new buildings. They literally had hardly any money for anything else.

Christian ministers burn through money like nothing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd love to know where ALL

I'd love to know where ALL of the money that ALL of religion has taken in went. What would we see if we opened the books of the church? Of every church? For every religion?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't get me wrong, but for

Don't get me wrong, but for 5.3 million $ per 4 months (that's, in case you haven't had the courage to see annual income, more than 15 million bucks per year) I just might be willing to start building a mosque right in the middle of Vatican. Of course I wouldn't be their mullah, but still...

I understand that pastors burn money like their hellish counterparts are supposed to burn souls, but come on! Those sums are highly ridiculous.

Besides: April will come to an end... and another almost 5 million wasted on shit instead of:

- wellfare

- education

- medicine

- research

- sponsoring very capable or talented kids

...etc.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/