IN REASON WE TRUST

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
IN REASON WE TRUST

I humbly propose a new RRS campaign that is extremely simple!

Carry a pen on your keychain.

For every bill you receive in the United States, CROSS OUT THE "GOD" IN "IN GOD WE TRUST" AND WRITE THE WORD, "REASON."

That'll show 'em.

I think they have to accept your money, even if it's written on like that.

What do you think?

Someone made this image, which gave me the idea.  I propose "reason" as a better word than logic, because reason encompasses both logic and science, 2 separate but important fields. 

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I support this campaign.

I support this campaign.

I'm starting this now!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great idea, depending on

Great idea, depending on it's legality. I'd suggest a quiet looking into it before walking down the street defacing official currency in the plain view of anyone wandering by.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I had been crossing it off

I had been crossing it off completely as were others. On another site someone had posted a link to where it said it's only considered defacing currency if it either:

1. Makes it unusable (such as tearing it to shreds or burning it.)

or

2. Attempts to make it look like another denomination.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been crossing out all

I've been crossing out all the words completely for the last few months.  I decided against writting in "reason" or "logic" instead of god because that obviously doesn't represent this country.  I think it's almost worse than what it says now.

"in god we trust" doesn't fit with about 10% of the population

"in reason we trust" doesnt' fit with 80% of the population.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've still never gotten one

I've still never gotten one back with it crossed off or changed. Anyone else ever get one?

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nope.

Nope.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I already do that (though

I already do that (though not compulsively) - though I replace the word god with reason.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this idea. I may have

I like this idea. I may have to start doing it.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
It will probably just be a

It will probably just be a matter of time before some vote-grabbing politico tries to make it a federal offense

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
True dat.

True dat.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps. But there's only so

Perhaps. But there's only so much they can do. This could very well lead to a removal of the word from the currency, and the pledge by proxy. Many theists will get so annoyed at seeing god crossed out that they'd rather not see the word there in the first place. I think about how quickly this could spread across the nation if even 50 people did it with only half of the bills they touch over say 5 years. Figure, conservatively, 10 seperate dollar bills being marked a week by 50 people multiplied by 5 years and you've got 130,000 bills moving through the system. Add one or two obsessive compulsive people into the mix and the number could go up exponentially.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geez Vastet, that's a lot

Geez Vastet, that's a lot of bills to be using.  I personally rarely use cash.  On a busy month I probably go through maybe 20 bills.

Also, banks pull any currency with writting on them out of circulation.  The only people I can see being annoyed by this is the treasury for having so many bills returned to them.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: Geez

V1per41 wrote:

Geez Vastet, that's a lot of bills to be using.  I personally rarely use cash.  On a busy month I probably go through maybe 20 bills.

Perhaps. I tend to get 30 bills every two weeks out of the bank though. I guess it depends on the person.

V1per41 wrote:

Also, banks pull any currency with writting on them out of circulation.  The only people I can see being annoyed by this is the treasury for having so many bills returned to them.

Interesting. That makes it even better. If they remove bills, then they have to replace them. Which costs money. Get the government having to shell out cash to replace the entire stock of bills every few years and they'll sit up and notice real fast.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Australian money doesn't

Australian money doesn't have "in god we trust"

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe American money is

I believe American money is the only kind that does. Maybe some middle eastern countries do as well.

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a perfect example

This is a perfect example of civil disobedience as exhibited by Thoreau, Martin Luther King, and Ghandi.  It is inherently non-violent.

I believe more than anything, crossing out God on our money will get people to think.

Reminds me a little of project mayhem in "Fight Club," but it is inherently non-violent in contrast.  Certainly mischevious.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I of course will continue to

I of course will continue to do it, but I won't hold my breath that anything will become of it.

Ch'o Senn (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I've been doing this for

I've been doing this for almost 2 years.  Awesome idea, isn't it?  If "Where's George" passes the muster, why not "In Reason We Trust"?  God on our money and Pledge of Allegiance are a direct result of McCarthyism, and I want my country back from that idiot.