Bible a joke?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Bible a joke?

I just came up with this idea - what if the Bible was actually intended as a joke mocking some forgotten religion of the time (sort of a "Flying Spaghetti Monster" for the time) and people somehow actually started believing it?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
That would explain a lot of

That would explain a lot of things. LOL!

I like your idea, Matt. Laughing

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I just

MattShizzle wrote:
I just came up with this idea - what if the Bible was actually intended as a joke mocking some forgotten religion of the time (sort of a "Flying Spaghetti Monster" for the time) and people somehow actually started believing it?

I wouldn't be suprised that in the future there are people who actually believe the FSM as true. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is supposed to be a joke? Your joking right? I will declare pasta-jihad on you unless you take back what you said about my god. Flying Spaghetti Monster praise be with you, and your profeit Floating Flower Pot!

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
RAmen.

RAmen.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is true, and until you

It is true, and until you accept him as your lord and savior, you will be going to ... Heaven but still be looked down upon! There is no hell in our faith.

If you need proof us as a religion have more proof then any other. Just go jump off a cliff and if you fall, FSM is real. Intelligant falling is the only thing that makes sence, gravity is evil. His pasta arms make you fall.

Praise be to the holy trinty. The meatball, the sauce, and the holy pasta!

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have some reservations

I have some reservations about this claim of yours.

If someone had intended the bible to deceive in a convincing manner, surely they would have produced a far more integral work.    Noone would be so stupid as to be deceived by so many obvious errors and inconsistencies as exist in the bible.  

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with you.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

mouse
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
RAmen.

lol. 

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I usually go with the

I usually go with the scenario that the bible really is a joke: Thousands of years ago, a bunch of hebrew goat herders sat around a fire, eating magical mushrooms. Someone said "Hey, let's write a story that is so outrageously absurd and far out there as we can. Then, we will go around telling people that this story is actually true, and we'll see how many suckers we can get to believe it. It'll be fun!"

And then it just snowballed from there, but it was started as a drug induced pratical joke.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I didn't mean it was meant

I didn't mean it was meant to deceive anyone, I meant it was intended as a joke to make fun of some other religion.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team