Why many people don't believe in Evolution or know that the Earth orbits around the Sun!

info warfare
info warfare's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why many people don't believe in Evolution or know that the Earth orbits around the Sun!

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I read an interesting artical today on the Technology Review site that I think everyone here should read.
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17535/

Quote:
This level of science illiteracy may explain why over 40 percent of Americans do not believe in evolution and about 20 percent, when asked if the earth orbits the sun or vice versa, say it’s the sun that does the orbiting--placing these people in the same camp as the Inquisition that punished Galileo almost 400 years ago.

It's frightening that so many people are that ignorant!

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's sad to think but i'm

It's sad to think but i'm not surprized really. People feel comfort with the easy way out. Our idealogy before was to just leave them alone they are not hurting anyone. Problem is they started pushing their beliefs on people. Now we want to try, and they say we have no right to push our beliefs on them, and they are not hurting anyone.

I do live in Canada. It is not as bad, but we do have a lot of ignorant people. I am known as an asshole when it comes to religion in my school. Almost weekly i'd get into debates on it with a random person out of no where when they find out your an atheist. Although it ends up the "end" of it when they say "Well I believe in this, it gives me meaning, are you going to take that away" a year ago I would of said no. Now I simply go "Your using the theist defence arn't you?" "It works well, unless you have someone who doesn't care about that anymore, yes you should have your religion taken away, at least until you read every other religious text ever, and all science material. Then your opionon on religion will matter". Got me into fights a lot, which is funny never had to actually fight since they either never showed up, or just talked shit and walked away. Heh, once I used the "Jesus said turn your cheek" and it worked. Sadly it worked... 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
Ignorance is dangerous.

Yes the ignorant horde may be coming to burn your temple of knowledge down.  They set the human race back a thousand years in Alexandria.  We must not be tempted to intertain the irrational, no matter how warm and fuzzy it may seem.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheGrapeOfWrath wrote: Yes

TheGrapeOfWrath wrote:
Yes the ignorant horde may be coming to burn your temple of knowledge down. They set the human race back a thousand years in Alexandria. We must not be tempted to intertain the irrational, no matter how warm and fuzzy it may seem.

Occasionally I wonder what was lost in that library...who knows? *shrug* 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

TheGrapeOfWrath wrote:
Yes the ignorant horde may be coming to burn your temple of knowledge down. They set the human race back a thousand years in Alexandria. We must not be tempted to intertain the irrational, no matter how warm and fuzzy it may seem.

Occasionally I wonder what was lost in that library...who knows? *shrug*

I wonder all the time.

Could we have rieached the moon a hundred years earlier? Could we have at least been spared the "Dark Ages"? Would it have only helped us destroy ourselves more efficiently and faster?

Hypatia has always been a hero of mine (if I ever have a daughter, that name will top the list of considerations - at least as a middle moniker), somebody from the past I just seem to connect with. I think what happened to her, set us back quite a bit simply on a human decency level. It sort of set the tone for how teachers and intellectuals were dealt with for the next few hundred years. We still see hints of it today.

I kind of choke on my own vomit when I think about it, in all honesty. 

FYI, the RRS discussed this topic not too long ago with Brian Trent who wrote "Remembering Hypatia" (great book, btw). I forget the show number, but it should not be difficult for subscribers to find. 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

I kind of choke on my own vomit when I think about it, in all honesty.

FYI, the RRS discussed this topic not too long ago with Brian Trent who wrote "Remembering Hypatia" (great book, btw). I forget the show number, but it should not be difficult for subscribers to find.

I don't blame you for "choking on your own vomit" when you think about such a huge loss.  I crave knowledge.  It seems like I can never get enough and yet when I get even the barest inkling of what I don't know, it humbles me.

Losing all that knowledge would be like losing the Internets™  today.  Then again, who knows what comparisons are apt?  We don't know what the fuck we lost!

If you can remember the show number, please post it.  I've been thinking of subscribing and it would at least give me a show to target. Smiling   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
This sh-t is ridiculosly

This sh-t is ridiculosly sad.....I can't believe so many Americans are that stupid.....well 51% did supposedly vote for Bush because he was Christian so w/e. smh.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: over 40 percent of

Quote:
over 40 percent of Americans do not believe in evolution
I can sort of understand that, but it's still ridiculous. Evolution has been scientifically proven.

Quote:
about 20 percent, when asked if the earth orbits the sun or vice versa, say it’s the sun that does the orbiting
But this is extremely so.

It really pisses me off how fucking stupid some people are.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: If

Iruka Naminori wrote:

If you can remember the show number, please post it. I've been thinking of subscribing and it would at least give me a show to target. Smiling

Show #40 - Brian Trent, "Remembering Hypatia"

his site:

http://www.rememberinghypatia.com/ 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Knowledge has always been

Knowledge has always been the enemy of the church because it frees the mind. The leaders of religious cults/sects would rather keep the mind enslaved.