I think I just got stupider...

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I just got stupider...

I just Stumbled upon this -

posted by Kiri 2/18/2005 on the ARN “Intelligent Design” discussion board

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm

Really, that was the most retarted thing I have EVER read.

Quote:
It is not even clear why we need a theory of gravity -- there is not a single mention in the Bible, and the patriotic founding fathers never referred to it.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was a clever bit a satire

It was a clever bit a satire suggesting that gravity is only a theory without any biblical support (much the same as evolution).  Clearly the writer, Ellery Schempp, is just trying to make a point that disputing evolution as "just a theory" is akin to calling disputing gravity on the same grounds. 

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
Very smart

I like it.  He did a great job of throwing some nonsensical BS in there about patriots... It could have been on Rush Limbaugh. 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
This is more on the serious

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I almost wish that was a

I almost wish that was a real theist argument instead of a post by a physicist who'd been advocating the seperation of church and state for 50 years. It would have been fun to debunk.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Kelreth
Kelreth's picture
User is offlineOffline
no no, that doesnt make you

no no, that doesnt make you or us stupider for reading it, just shows how stupid some people are.

the theory of gravity is alwyas a fun thing to bring up when debating about evolution or other science things 

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok lol gravity is not a

Ok lol gravity is not a theory.....I'm sure if I go to the top of this like 100 ft tall bulding or well it's like 8 floors that if I go on the roof and jump I WILL fall at a very high speed towards the ground and hit it very hard and almost 100% surely will die.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle

FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle wrote:
Ok lol gravity is not a theory.....I'm sure if I go to the top of this like 100 ft tall bulding or well it's like 8 floors that if I go on the roof and jump I WILL fall at a very high speed towards the ground and hit it very hard and almost 100% surely will die.

I'm no physicist, but it's a little more subtle that that.

What your saying is that things tend to fall to the ground. No one is disputing that.

Newton's Theory of Universal Gravitation says that the force that causes things to fall, and the force that causes the orbits of the planets, is the same force (the universal bit). And this force is an attraction between masses that follows a certain formula.

Previous to Newton it wasn't clear that falling, and the orbits of the planets were caused by the same force.

willthescaryatheist
User is offlineOffline
Wow, I am in awe about the

Wow, I am in awe about the stupidity of some people. I really can't think of anything to say about this situation. This should explain its own stupidity.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting............

Interesting............

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's really no such thing

There's really no such thing as gravity. The Earth sucks.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Intelligent Falling is the

Intelligent Falling is the real answer.