New Member TheGrapeOfWrath

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
New Member TheGrapeOfWrath

Howdy ya'll from the buckle of the bible belt. Wow! Did he say ya'll?

All kidding aside it's nice to be here at RSS. I first heard about you on MySpace. My name is Troy and I live In Cashion, Oklahoma, population 365, churches 4. I recently moved back to Oklahoma from Phoenix after having been there for fifteen months. I move to Phoenix to heal up after shattering my ankle which kept me off of it for four months. It was a nasty injury. I have some hardware now and still can't spend a lot of time on my feet.

I don't think I ever believed in god. I would have to equate it to someone who is gay but tries to convince themselves they are not. I got married to the church (saved), lived the lie and then went through a quiet divorce. I'm only partly out of the atheist closet. I have one good friend left who I just can seem to tell her bluntly.

The more I studied god and religion the more I couldn't bring myself to believe. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't read the bible or talk to religious people without wanting to laugh.

As for me, right now I'm looking for a job, preparing to go to welding school in the evenings, and thinking very seriously about starting a new chapter of NORML. I was asked by the head of Oklahoma NORML to consider it. I am a little hesitant because doing so, along with the fact that I'm an Atheist, in small town Oklahoma might come with some social ramifications. I'm picturing the movie Frankenstein, crazed villagers with torches and pitchforks.

www.norml.org

There are a few of us brave souls here who actually admit we smoke weed. Most of us do it quietly so the bad men don't come and take us away. In Oklahoma you can still get life in prison for having a single little seedling and a Styrofoam cup. So between the cops and snitches who want to make a quick fifty bucks, people here have every right to be paranoid.

I dream of escaping to Canada as much as I would hate to leave my home. It really is a beautiful state. Great farm land. I would love to live to see the day when thousands and thousands of acres were growing hemp and our crappy highways were traveled by hemp-bio-diesel hybrids.

Feel free to stop by my MySpace, it is set to private to avoid the aforementioned village scene so you will need to send me a message stating that you saw this on the RSS board.

Lookin forward to meetin ya'll :-b

Troy

aka TheGrapeOfWrath

http://www.myspace.com/grapeofwrath

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
365?!   Welcome to the

365?!Surprised

Welcome to the board. Smiling 

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Yes, 365. But hey it's not that small, I mean the main street has more than one stop sign. It has two. Well more if you count the fact that those are four way stops. We have a gas station and a combination bar and grill. No real grocery store, that is about 20 miles from here. Am I blowing your mind yet?

I can see the police chiefs house and patrol car from my bedroom window, hence, no windows open heavy metal bong parties. He is the full time cop. We have a couple of part timers. Small town part time cops are the most dangerous. They want nothing more than to get a good bust to prove themselves to be real cops and get their names in the paper. The fact that they are poorly trained makes them more likely to do something stupid like shoot you or an innocent bystander or themselves.

Is my desire to flee becoming obvious?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, ok.

Lol, ok.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome TheGrapeOfWrath! I

Welcome TheGrapeOfWrath!

I understand your pain.  My hometown is 1,685.  There are 11 churches, 2 gas stations, 1 grocery store and one bar. 

Well, kind of a bar anyway.  It's still not legal to sell liquor by the drink in that county.  They sell beer and setups.  If you really want a mixed drink, there's a little package liquor store on the edge of town.  You buy a bottle and take it to the bar with you.

There is one blinking 4-way stop light in the middle of town. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
Wow!

You guys have a grocery store and a liquor store! That's huge! I guss I have you beat, our bar sells liquor. Not that I drink much.  I prefer weed.

Thanks for saying hi.

Since introducing myself yesterday I have linked up with three RSS'ers on MySpace. This is great. I never new atheists were so social, then again I never knew very many atheists. I'm really thinking that there is a whole plesantville in the closet thing going on with atheists in Oklahoma. This is gonna be fun.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi TheGrapeOfWrath, There

Hi TheGrapeOfWrath,

There are a lot of RRS folks on MySpace.  Check out the thread here and send out Friend Requests to your heart's content! 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheGrapeOfWrath wrote: You

TheGrapeOfWrath wrote:

You guys have a grocery store and a liquor store! That's huge! I guss I have you beat, our bar sells liquor. Not that I drink much. I prefer weed.

We used to have two grocery stores, a pool hall and a little department store.  We used to have a couple of local doctors with offices.  Now there's a county osteopathic clinic where lots of interns and residents are sent.

The really odd part is that a lot of the residents won't go to an osteopath because they don't understand that it's a "real" doctor that went to medical school!  (These are the same people that think that a podiatrist has to have a medical degree before specializing in feet.  *sigh*)