Petty Officer Squid Reporting for Duty

solidsquid
solidsquid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Petty Officer Squid Reporting for Duty

So I suppose a proper introduction on my part is in order. I'm solidsquid (often shortened to just squid), a 31 year old atheist in Texas. Currently living in north Dallas (Richardson to be exact) and attending the University of Texas-Dallas. I'm a newbie to this forum but not to the online atheist community. I first began my online journey several years ago when I joined the Atheist Network and ran around the forums at Infidel Guy's site. I eventually ended up starting my own site and claiming my area in cyberspace. I currently run atheistcoalition.com (not to be confused with atheistcoalition.org - which is the Atheist Coalition of San Diego. I wasn't aware of their existence when I chose the domain name) which will be two whole years old in September of this year. My schoolin' and work keep me from updating my site regularly but I hope to tackle that problem after the semester ends April 30th.

Many people ask where my name comes from. Well, the squid part comes from my time spent serving in the U.S. Navy as a photolithographer (1996-2000). The solidsquid name is a play on the character Solid Snake from the Metalgear games.

Some other random information about me:

* I'm an ardent defender of evolutionary theory (I've entered into more debates online than I can count) - always hoping that science will overcome the irrationality utilized by creationism and ID. I actually started working on a rebuttal to an essay someone posted online on a personal website criticizing evolution - that was around 8 months ago. Since then this rebuttal has grown into a huge (now 75 pages and still growing) treatise. Hopefully I will finish it soon (maybe this summer) and submit it as part of the creationist site rebuttals here.

* I'm a guitarist and have a love of of all kinds of guitar music - especially shred a la Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Rusty Cooley et al. However, I have a long way to go before I can come close to their technical expertise.

* I have an inexplicable addiction to the TV show House M.D.

* I'm in graduate school to study neuroscience. Yet I have an intense interest in paleoanthropology, evolutionary biology and of course, psychology which I received my undergrad degree in.

* My favorite beer is hefeweizen.

* I like martial arts and have some formal training in aikijujitsu and several styles of kung fu (mostly traditional Shaolin and Choy li fut - although I haven't practiced in a couple of years.

* Still waiting for Van Halen and David Lee Roth to get back together.

* Saddened that I have to scratch off "hang out with Dimebag Darrell" from my list of awesome things to do in my life.

That's about all I can think of before hittin' the rack tonight. And I'm sure that's more than most cared to know anyhow.

Rayven_Alandria
Rayven_Alandria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Squid,   Nice to see

Hey Squid,

Nice to see you here. 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Glad you're here squid. 

Glad you're here squid.  Smiling

(we go way back, eh?)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hefeweizens can be pretty

Hefeweizens can be pretty good if done right - most American versions suck though (talking about commercial ones, not homebrewed.) I prefer IPA's.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

solidsquid
solidsquid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rayven: Good to see you

Rayven: Good to see you too.  I've wondered where you've been.

Sapient: Yep, I remember when the RRS was just little stirring in the neurons - look at it now.

Matt: Shiner makes a decent one.  I prefer Paulaner though.  However, I've found a restaurant/brewery here in Dallas that makes an excellent hefeweizen and sirloin.  An excellent combo. 

Thanks for the welcome. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I made some that were good.

I made some that were good. If they don't have that bananna/clove flavor I consider them not a good hefeweizen.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
solidsquid wrote: Shiner

solidsquid wrote:
Shiner makes a decent one.

Shiner, one of the few things I miss about Texas. Smiling

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Squid! Quote: I

Welcome, Squid!

Quote:
I have an inexplicable addiction to the TV show House M.D.

Yeah. Me, too. I gotta admit, though, he's always straightforward about his Atheism and that tickles me even more than his attitude.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.