Hey there, Scottish atheist/Bright. Pleased to meet ya.

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there, Scottish atheist/Bright. Pleased to meet ya.

Hi there, I'm Charlie Wood, i'm 16 going on 17 and I pretty much decided to check this place out, after having begun my path to blasphemy =D I realise that I can't get the DVD without paying delivery, being from Scotland, but $35 worth of RRS radio shows sounds good enough to me =3
 Last year I joined a group named the Brights' movement. Have you heard of them? bright is an umbrella term for people whose worldviews are free of anything supernaturalistic, and has been called 'The new atheism' before. Anywho yeah. I'm pleased to meet a bunch of rational type folks, and I hope I have a good time here.

And... that's about it. Talk to you soon! 

'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'
Adam Savage, Mythbusters.

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Is it just me, or do I

...Is it just me, or do I have some kind of affinity for killing topics? This thread's gone stillborn and the Jokes thread I made a post in died. XD I guess I've always been a topic killer then.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't worry, it happens with

Don't worry, it happens with me too.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Chaz Fox wrote: ...Is it

Chaz Fox wrote:
...Is it just me, or do I have some kind of affinity for killing topics? This thread's gone stillborn and the Jokes thread I made a post in died. XD I guess I've always been a topic killer then.

Nah, it's really been a busy here.  Lots of new posters and lots to read.  Anyway, welcome and I'm a registered bright too, btw. 

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet =3 thanks for the

Sweet =3 thanks for the welcome.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, welcome Chaz Fox!  It

Yes, welcome Chaz Fox!

It has been extremely busy here on the forums.  However, my tardiness in sending you greetings does not diminish the sincerity!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I realise you guys have been

I realise you guys have been quite busy working on the site, and I appreciate that. ^.^

Oh, also, could someone explain to me what points are for?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nothing yet, but eventually

Nothing yet, but eventually they're going to have stuff you can buy with 'em.

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool =3 oh yeah, I think I'm

Cool =3 oh yeah, I think I'm probably going to stop calling myself atheist from now on. After all, the term atheist in itself presupposes that there is a god whose existence needs to be denied. And as we all know there isn't a god to deny in the first place. =3 so I'm going to stick with Bright on these forums, if that's alright with you guys. Sticking out tongue

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm... a minimum definition

Hmm... a minimum definition of atheist is 'lack of belief' in a God, which doesn't require 'God' to exist as more than a concept.

But the fact that we don't customarily talk about a-fairyist, or a-UFOist, etc, does support your stance, in that we really shouldn't need such a word for something that is even less likely to exist.

BTW, my great-grandfather on the paternal line was an emigrant from Scotland. A bit of a problem really, in that I have inherited a complexion that is not ideal for where I live, in the sub-tropics with the ozone depleted by the fringe effects of the Antarctic ozone hole... 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just popped in to say hi,

I just popped in to say hi, welcome, and to ask if you put sugar on your porridge.....teehee.

Sorry, "no true scotsman" joke... Gah, I'm awful.Sticking out tongue
Yeah I don't mind the term bright, it can be more specific,'cause I've met atheists who believe in all manner of supernatural things... just no "Gods/Goddesses". Bright is definately a handy catchall. I suppose all Brights are atheists but not all atheists are Brights... Hmmm. *ponders* 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaz Fox wrote: Cool =3 oh

Chaz Fox wrote:
Cool =3 oh yeah, I think I'm probably going to stop calling myself atheist from now on. After all, the term atheist in itself presupposes that there is a god whose existence needs to be denied. And as we all know there isn't a god to deny in the first place. =3 so I'm going to stick with Bright on these forums, if that's alright with you guys. :p

Oh yeah, we'll get along well. Laughing out loud

Welcome to RRS. I'll have to look into the Brights.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I'll jump on the band wagon

I'll jump on the band wagon and say hello. My father has traced my (and of course his) genealogy all the way back to Robert the Bruce, so I've been wanting to visit Scotland for a while.

I think the term "bright" is good for at least two reasons:
1. We wouldn't have to argue with theist about the definition of atheism.
2. I don't know how it's in Scotland, but in the US I'd rather call myself "gay" than "atheist." Atheist send out bad vibes or something.

Chaz Fox
Chaz Fox's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote:

MrRage wrote:
I'll jump on the band wagon and say hello. My father has traced my (and of course his) genealogy all the way back to Robert the Bruce, so I've been wanting to visit Scotland for a while. I think the term "bright" is good for at least two reasons: 1. We wouldn't have to argue with theist about the definition of atheism. 2. I don't know how it's in Scotland, but in the US I'd rather call myself "gay" than "atheist." Atheist send out bad vibes or something.

Yes, well when Richard Dawkins spoke about a different name for atheists and atheism, this is what he said:

Richard Dawkins wrote:
Gay is succinct, uplifting, positive: an 'up' word, where homosexual is a down word, and queer, faggot and pooftah are insults. Those of us who subscribe to no religion; those of us whose view of the universe is natural rather than supernatural; those of us who rejoice in the real and scorn the false comfort of the unreal, we need a word of our own, a word like 'gay'. ... Like gay, it should be a noun hijacked from an adjective, with its original meaning changed but not too much. Like gay, it should be catchy: a potentially prolific meme. Like gay, it should be positive, warm, cheerful, bright.