Introducing Myself

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introducing Myself

First of all, I must say Bravo! I stumbled upon your site today by accident, and I can now say I found my people, and now my voice might be heard.

I'm PJ. I've been a free-thinking atheist for all of my 36 years. 'They' tried to suck me in early in life with the "youth camps" and the "fun week" events at the various churches I like to refer to as brainwashing institutions. I resisted, and in time, formed my own logical idea of what the world, time, and space was all about. Science class made sense. The guy on TV yelling at me every Sunday did NOT make sense. The following is a post on myspace from awhile back...I was in a mood.

"On being an atheist.

I've been a non-believer of a god or gods since I was really young. Probablyaround kindergarden or so. I remember that because it seems like I was constantly under attack about it. The other kids who were already tempted into going to church and indoctrinated and conditioned were relentless about trying to get me to go.
"You should come."
"You can be like us."
"Don't you want to go to heaven?"
"Do you want to be saved?"
All I could do is stand there and feel uncomfortable. Why so much pressure? Why do so many people want me to go so bad? Why do they have to be so pushy about it? Isn't this how people fell for the Nazi's? Those were the questions I was asking myself as a child.
I'm proud to say they never got me. I am also proud to say that I turned out just fine despite my lack of religion. I don't need a book to tell me how to be a good person. I don't need someone to tell me not to kill. I don't need to worship someone or something to make me feel better.
As for those who do, well, I see alot of differences in what they say and what they do. I see ALOT of overly religious people committing sex crimes. Child molestion seems to be one of the biggies. If you happen to watch Dateline on NBC, you know what I'm talking about. People engage in wars over religion. They strap bombs to their bodies in the name of their deity.
I am fairly sure that there are people out there that actually practice their religion, but sometimes I wonder.
I feel strongly that in order for the human race to advance, some things are going to have to change. Learn to love yourself. Take responsibility for your actions. Put more focus on your own business and your affairs. Learn how to look in the mirror and appreciate what you see. Recognize the "heavenly presence" for what it actually is. It is the electricity and the matter all around you holding your environment and existence together. It's you. It is your conscience. It is everything.
I call it the buzz."

I have a 12 year-old daughter who, I'm proud to say, is also a free-thinker. I have helped her to resist the peer pressure and to understand that the crap that is sent to our mailbox is nothing more than propaganda sent out to get people into the churches to be indoctrinated. Most of all, she is happy. She is a good person, and she will continue to be because I am raising her that way.

Glad to know we're not alone out here.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome PJ.  We're glad

Welcome PJ.  We're glad you're here and look forward to more posts from you.