Introduction

krinu
Silver Member
krinu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introduction

Hello All --

I've only been lurking here for a couple of days, but I've been an atheist for many years now. My first experience with godlessness came when I needed to look up an article in a set of encyclopedias that I had had for years previous. In the 'P' book, I came across an article entitled 'Problem of Evil.' Well, I had been a noncommitted Baptist for my entire life before that. But after reading that short (but effective) article, I actually began to question. Question everything.

My life since has really been a classic example of cultural evolution. I flirted very briefly with paganism, until I found out that they were as shrift with answers as Christians. Then I discovered Greek philosophy, and stoicism in particular (I still have a small library of books on stoicism that is probably one of the most comprehensive in the world). But even their arguments either failed (about god) or proved very thin (most everything else).

I have since been 'reborn' of a sense reading Richard Carrier's magisterial work, Sense and Goodness Without God. I am currently treating it as an outline to further philosphical inquiry, beginning, appropriately enough, with epistemology (and the evidentialist school in particular). I look forward to reading more of the minimalist theory of truth, physicalist ontology, etc. Philosophy buttressed by science.

I'm also beginning study of Lojban, which is a constructed language (five decades in the making) that is almost completely unambiguous and has a grammar built upon the precepts of predicate logic. If interested, you can find out more @ www.lojban.org.

I wish to implore to my fellow atheists here and across the globe to not only avow their atheism, but to strengthen it with furthering education. And to EVOLVE -- discard everything irrational born out of a primitive past. For me this includes natural language. Who would have thought that a language spoken by savage tribes such as the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes would one day be the most widely spoken in the world, and the language with which we try so awkwardly to manifest our precious precepts of reason?

Learn Lojban with me.

Glad to be part of the community (finally!) ...

krinu

x1 (event/state) is a reason/justification/explanation for/causing/permitting x2 (event/state)

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.I liked the greek

Welcome.
I liked the greek philosophers...Mostly plato and his Philosopher kings.
I thought that that was a better idea than what we have now...(popularity contest). But we will enjoy the company of a Linguist(spelling?).

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!  You'll

Welcome aboard!  You'll find good company here.  I'm a historian myself and also found some rebirth in Carrier (who is now a good friend), and even some inspiration (he really got me motivated to work on my thesis).  Good to see another like-minded Greek philosopher among us.  I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are of Heraclitis and other pre-Socratics.

Hope you check out the rest of the board and find a home here.

The best,

Rook 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

krinu
Silver Member
krinu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the welcome --

Thanks for the welcome -- how did you come by getting to know Mr. Carrier?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a co-founder of this

I'm a co-founder of this organization/radio show and he came to stay with us for the weekend.  Eye-wink

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Was a great serires of

Was a great serires of shows, too...