Hey everyone!

Caspian
Theist
Caspian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself! My name is [Caspian], I'm in my late twenties and live in Austin, Texas. I'm a volunteer Young Life leader and am currently a full time student working on my Master's degree. I and am passionate about Ashtanga yoga (hence the avatar) and Lindy Hop (swing dancing).

Thank you so much for creating this site. Talking about God in our culture is sometimes taboo, and I'm glad that you all have created a space for discussing something as dangerous as the person of Christ.

"Some [people], to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from goodwill. What then? Only that in everything, whether from pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice!" -Philippians 1:15,18

Ransomed,

-Caspian

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the

Welcome to the forums!

Young Life, eh? I remember one of my grade school friends trying to get me to attend a Young Life summer camp. He didn't tell me that Young Life was a Christian organization- his description of the camp was something like this: "It's so fun, there's go-karts and swimming and skits and campfires and great food and there's this cool inflated thing in the lake that you jump on and catapult someone way out into the water and you learn about Jesus and all the couselors are really cool and you'll make a ton of friends, so you wanna go? Come on, it will be awesome!" 

Tricky little bastard. But not tricky enough.

So, what's this about the "dangerous person of Christ"? Could you clarify what you mean?

Anyway, welcome aboard, and hopefully we can get you to stop corrupting our youth Smiling

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Caspian
Theist
Caspian's picture
User is offlineOffline
daveyboy, Thanks so much

daveyboy,

Thanks so much for responding.  I was curious how long it was going to take for someone to simply say "hello" back to me.  You're good for doing so.  I feel included now.  S'hanks! 

Your friend was clever.  But obviously not clever enough. Wink To bad he didn't mention all the beautiful ladies that tend to frequent Young Life.  Maybe then you would have come to camp.  It's part of our evil plan to save the world.  Mwahaha! 

In regard to your question (which is a great question, btw), I suppose I've never viewed Christ as a safe person.  He's riddled with contraversy and tension.  "'Do not think that I have come to bring peace on the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I came to "set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;" and "a man's enemies will be the members of his own household." He who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daugher more than is not worthy of me.  And he who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.'" -JC (Matthew 10:34-38).

"Of course he isn't safe!" is how Mr. Beaver describes Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia.  It fits, I suppose, especially with Mark's gospel, but not as much in Luke's, in a way.  I've been involved in Young Life for about ten years now.  Time and time again I've seen Jesus storm into people's lives and flip them upside-down.  I was reading in my devotional today and ran across a passage describing God as "terrible and loving."  I find truth in that. 

Regardless, how are you, daveyboy?  What's going on in your world?  I'm a bit bitter today.  I had a terrible exam am still in denial about how bad I know I did.  It will pass, I suppose.  Nothing two yoga classes and a little Lindy Hop won't fix.

Peace, Wink -Caspian