Hello free thinkers

Fire Legion
User is offlineOffline
Hello free thinkers

Hi, I am Fire Legion, and I have been agnostic for about a year now. I am not theist, or atheist. A theists states there is a God of some kind, an atheists states there is no God. I state neither, and am therefore agnostic.

Anyway, sorry for the fiery first paragraph, and I hope I can contribute some good and provocative content to your forum.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I'm sure you can

Welcome!

I'm sure you can contribute.  I want to warn you that you'll run into some issues with the definition of atheism, as some will say that you are an atheist if you don't believe in any specific god.

There are basically two ways of looking at it... positive and negative atheism.

Positive atheism (or strong atheism) asserts that there is no god.  This is what most people think of when they think of atheism, but it's actually more likely to be the minority position.  

Negative atheism (or weak atheism) asserts nothing.  It simply defaults to disbelief in the existence of any particular god pending proof.  In other words,  you were born an atheist.  Until you heard someone say the name, Jesus, you were incapable of believing, so you didn't.

I doubt it will be a huge deal, but most of the agnostics who have stayed on these boards for long have later admitted that they didn't even know they were atheists, but they are.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Fire Legion
User is offlineOffline
To be honest, I won't make a

To be honest, I won't make a huge thing out of the whole 'atheist agnostic' debate.The name isn't as important as the beliefs.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Fire Legion wrote: Hi, I am

Fire Legion wrote:
Hi, I am Fire Legion, and I have been agnostic for about a year now. I am not theist, or atheist. A theists states there is a God of some kind, an atheists states there is no God. I state neither, and am therefore agnostic. 

Explanation here.