What 7 states must I be a theists to run for office?

dreamquixotic
dreamquixotic's picture
User is offlineOffline

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
dreamquixotic wrote: What

dreamquixotic wrote:
What 50 states must I be a theists to run for office?

Fixed. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
olivergringold

olivergringold wrote:

dreamquixotic wrote:
What 50 states must I be a theists to run for office?

Fixed.

Not really. A non Christian in most states cannot get ellected to high offices such as governor, state senator,  congress, or White House. That is not because of the constitution. In fact the Constitution garuntees freedom of religion and also warns citizens that no religious test shall be required to hold public office.

Non-Christians can run for office but wont get ellected if they openly express a non-Christian label. That is because of Christian revisionists who sell the false belief that being a Christian is required to hold public office. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was the point that I

That was the point that I was trying to get across.  Perhaps I simply misunderstood what the original post meant, but from where I stand being a non-Christian is about as good as not running in the vast majority of modern America.

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline
North Carolina's State

Mississippi State Constitution. Article 14 ("General Provisions&quotEye-wink, Section 265
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina's State Constitution, Article 6 Section 8
"Disqualifications of office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."

Pennsylvania's State Constitution, Article 1 Section 4
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."

South Carolina's State Constitution, Article 4 Section 2
"No person shall be eligible to the office of Governor who denies the existence of the Supreme Being; ..."
Note: If you continue reading you will find that (in Section Cool the Lieutenant Governor must also meet the same qualifications as the Governor.

Tennessee's State Constitution, Article 9 Section 2
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

Texas' State Constitution, Article 1 Section 4
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That couldn't possibly be

That couldn't possibly be constitutional (to the US Constitution.)

dreamquixotic
dreamquixotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you sir!

Thank you sir! Laughing

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we're missing

I think we're missing one....

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That

MattShizzle wrote:

Those laws are still on the books, but of course they aren't enforced. 

If they ever were, then there would be a case brought up to the supreme court and they would rule that the laws are unconstitutional.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Voided
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That

MattShizzle wrote:

That would be because it isn't. In most of those cases I think they removed it or no one pays attention to it. However I tell you right now I'd wouldn't stand for anyone trying to use such laws. I think I could go on, but I'll leave it at that...

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Here in PA it isn't easy

Here in PA it isn't easy since we are a commonwealth, we have to take and draw up a new law that will void the old law. We have many laws that have no need to exist, one of which is "Witchs are not allowed to fly on sundays." Its much easier to leave the laws in effect than to void the laws even if they are laws that are unconstitiutional...