Is Sapient the most dangerous man on the internet?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Is Sapient the most dangerous man on the internet?

I have google alerts on my name and this came up tonight. I was floored by the title, and thought it was going to be written by a fundy. I was pleasantly surprised. Feel free to comment on his blog:
http://thumbjig.blogspot.com/2007/01/most-dangerous-man.html

Thumb Jig Blog wrote:

Is Brian Sapient the most dangerous man on the internet? Judging from his appearance on Laura Ingraham's radio talk show, he must be. First thing's first: who is Brian Sapient and if he's so dangerous why haven't you heard of him? Sapient is the leader of the Rational Response Squad (RRS), an online-based, free-thinking Atheist network, and the reason his name hasn't crossed your path is, well, because he's the leader of a free-thinking Atheist network. Sapient employs rather radical methods in order to convey his position. One such tactic is The Blasphemy Challenge. Here he encourages people to record themselves denying the existence of the Holy Spirit (immediately branding them a heretic in the eyes of God and exiling them from Heaven for eternity) in exchange for a free "The God Who Wasn't There" DVD.

Ingraham, sighting a potential opportunity to embarrass someone with a differing epistemological viewpoint, invited Sapient on her show. Her nasty, trifling interview is good theater but prosaic commentary. Sapient revealed the show's most remarkable defense mechanism on the RRS message boards, and it speaks volumes about the way verbose pundits hobble their guests and can control dialogue. As Ingraham attempted to roil Sapient with a few below-the-belt jabs ("Why don't you get a real job?") the producer, according to Sapient, was in his other ear forbiding him to defend himself. When Brian defied the producer's command Sapient's mic was clipped and Laura stated her conclusions unchallenged.

While Sapient broadcasts for over an hour each week on RRS, giving equal platform to Reverends, youth pastors and garden-variety believers, one must ask why does Laura Ingraham hate free speech? I am a firm believer in John Stuart Mill's philosophy of total inclusion when it comes to what we admit into popular discussion and the more points of view on such an important topic the better. With this approach the meritless ideas will, over time, shrivel and fade, and truth will reveal itself against the dull backcloth of falsehoods. The idea being reality is quite persuasive (when was the last time you underwent a blood-letting?). So, I ask, what is so dangerous about Sapient's message?

The highlight from the show: Laura presents Sapient with Pascal's Wager, asking if there is a God isn't it better just to believe because if Sapient is wrong he's going to suffer forever, but if he's right nothing is gained. Sapient counters, Socrates-like, by asking her in which God should one believe: Yaweh or Allah? Laura, without skipping a beat, delivers a pot shot and asks Sapient "So, what does your girlfriend do?"

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just listened to the whole

Just listened to the whole exerpt of you one the show.  What's with the ad hominems on your activism and devotion of time to the site?  It would have been more interesting for her to have an actual debate with you.

I don't think she's ever read any atheist literature.  I think she's insulated herself, and she doesn't even give you enough time to speak to discuss your position.  How is she going to learn about the atheist position if she interrupts all you say?

The most laughable part was her confusion over whether an atheist (on Christianity) and agnostic (on deism) is a consistent postion.  Just goes to show she knows very little about the atheist position.

And what a hypocrite she is!!! She gives you a hard time for being an activist -- who doesn't get paid; talks about how she needs a job -- but doesn't realize she has a radio show for probably the same purpose.   Of COURSE, if you could generate a sustainable income with your radio show like SHE CAN, you would!!!!  It's a crying shame you're not syndicated like her!!!  Heck, if someone rails you like this again, you might ask them how they got their start in radio or TV, etc.  It's not inconceivable that you will make an income from freethought media one day, in fact, I would say it is likely.

Most people in radio, TV, musicians, actors, writers, artists etc. would start out without a sustainable income from following their passion at first.

I thought you handled yourself well.

If she refuses to come on -your- show, I can only think it's because she's intimidated.  With you and the RRS "not letting her get away" with fallacies and ad hominems, she is doomed.

If someone else asks you to be on their show, maybe you can tell them you'll do it on the condition that they be on -your- show!

Most dangerous to unreason, maybe.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's no way Laura is

There's no way Laura is going to come on your show. She has everything to lose and noting to gain by doing so. She would not be in control and her team of crack writers would not be there to help her out. She doesn't know anything about Atheism and doesn't want to know anything. She is interested only in ratings. She get it by having a controvisial guest on and then slamming them. She knows that being your guest she would be on the defense. She can't win there.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I have

Sapient wrote:
I have google alerts on my name and this came up tonight. I was floored by the title, and thought it was going to be written by a fundy. I was pleasantly surprised. Feel free to comment on his blog:
http://thumbjig.blogspot.com/2007/01/most-dangerous-man.html

Thumb Jig Blog wrote:

Is Brian Sapient the most dangerous man on the internet? Judging from his appearance on Laura Ingraham's radio talk show, he must be. First thing's first: who is Brian Sapient and if he's so dangerous why haven't you heard of him? Sapient is the leader of the Rational Response Squad (RRS), an online-based, free-thinking Atheist network, and the reason his name hasn't crossed your path is, well, because he's the leader of a free-thinking Atheist network. Sapient employs rather radical methods in order to convey his position. One such tactic is The Blasphemy Challenge. Here he encourages people to record themselves denying the existence of the Holy Spirit (immediately branding them a heretic in the eyes of God and exiling them from Heaven for eternity) in exchange for a free "The God Who Wasn't There" DVD.

Ingraham, sighting a potential opportunity to embarrass someone with a differing epistemological viewpoint, invited Sapient on her show. Her nasty, trifling interview is good theater but prosaic commentary. Sapient revealed the show's most remarkable defense mechanism on the RRS message boards, and it speaks volumes about the way verbose pundits hobble their guests and can control dialogue. As Ingraham attempted to roil Sapient with a few below-the-belt jabs ("Why don't you get a real job?") the producer, according to Sapient, was in his other ear forbiding him to defend himself. When Brian defied the producer's command Sapient's mic was clipped and Laura stated her conclusions unchallenged.

While Sapient broadcasts for over an hour each week on RRS, giving equal platform to Reverends, youth pastors and garden-variety believers, one must ask why does Laura Ingraham hate free speech? I am a firm believer in John Stuart Mill's philosophy of total inclusion when it comes to what we admit into popular discussion and the more points of view on such an important topic the better. With this approach the meritless ideas will, over time, shrivel and fade, and truth will reveal itself against the dull backcloth of falsehoods. The idea being reality is quite persuasive (when was the last time you underwent a blood-letting?). So, I ask, what is so dangerous about Sapient's message?

The highlight from the show: Laura presents Sapient with Pascal's Wager, asking if there is a God isn't it better just to believe because if Sapient is wrong he's going to suffer forever, but if he's right nothing is gained. Sapient counters, Socrates-like, by asking her in which God should one believe: Yaweh or Allah? Laura, without skipping a beat, delivers a pot shot and asks Sapient "So, what does your girlfriend do?"

Is Sapient the most dangerous man on the internet? Hell yes!

Does Laura want a piece of the most dangerous man on the internet? Hell no!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She doesn't want to walk

She doesn't want to walk away holding her ass! Laughing out loud

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it grand when theist

Isn't it grand when theist attempts to denigrate atheists backfire?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
These talk show hosts like

These talk show hosts like Ingraham really piss me off.  They always result to these bullshit tactics.  They actually expect us to believe that they are so damn brilliant that they cannot be defeated in a debate?  It's rather frightening how many people actually buy their bullshit.

There are so few forums for actual intelligent debate in the mainstream media.  No wonder ignorance is so rampant in American society.  It would be nice if the media started taking a little responsibility and raised the bar for the media they are churning out.

IA_atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Isn't it

Vastet wrote:
Isn't it grand when theist attempts to denigrate atheists backfire?

Yes it is grand, and from what little research and reading I've done so far (I'm a rookie in the Atheist vs. theist realm of debate, but I'm learning FAST) it's the normal outcome in most cases.

I have seen information in several places that show that most (in the 90-some percentile range) of the elite, extremely intelligent scientists in this world are more align with atheist views and that is very, very refreshing information. I wonder what kind of response she would of had to that statement?

I find it amazing that a good portion of our fine citizens here in the U.S. actually get wrapped up in modern media and believe what they hear, see and read without getting off of their arses and doing a little research and indepenent assesment on their own. Free thinking has been so dangerously abolished in modern times that it's getting scary out there. I guess that most of these people I'm talking about have been so senslessly "brainwashed" over the years that they are beyond help and I'm thankful for the likes of Dawkins, Sapient and many, many others I'm not naming now mainly because I do not have enough time and effort invested in my own enlightenment..........yet. Smile

Thanks for this site and these forums, I find myself drawn to the Atheist vs. Theist debate (much to my wife's dismayLaughing) and I plan on getting a few books, especially Dawkins and learning/reading much more about it for my own personal growth. And if it costs me my marriage, so be it, I was married in a house of "God" under false pretenses anymay. That's how devoted I have become to my views of Atheism lately and I thank many of you for helping me find my way.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Hi IA_atheist

IA_atheist wrote:

I find it amazing that a good portion of our fine citizens here in the U.S. actually get wrapped up in modern media and believe what they hear, see and read without getting off of their arses and doing a little research and indepenent assesment on their own.

My own parents-in-law are an example of this. They get down right angry when something contrary to their belief comes up when they come to visit. I think it is just easier to believe in this fairy tales than to actually go out and learn factual science and critical thinking.

IA_atheist wrote:

Thanks for this site and these forums, I find myself drawn to the Atheist vs. Theist debate (much to my wife's dismayLaughing) and I plan on getting a few books, especially Dawkins and learning/reading much more about it for my own personal growth. And if it costs me my marriage, so be it, I was married in a house of "God" under false pretenses anymay. That's how devoted I have become to my views of Atheism lately and I thank many of you for helping me find my way.

I hope you can try to help her out of the delusion before abandoning the marriage. I am devoted to help those that I love. But if she's as far gone as say my mother-in-law, then I wouldn't know what to do. Smiling

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
doctoro wrote: Just

doctoro wrote:

Just listened to the whole exerpt of you one the show. What's with the ad hominems on your activism and devotion of time to the site? It would have been more interesting for her to have an actual debate with you.

She proved during the interview that she was incapable of an actual debate. Many of the comments she made expressed not only an ignorance of atheism, but theism as well. She didn't even know what an 'agnostic' is.....

She had little choice but to attack the man, and to silence his arguments by cutting his mic....

By the way, I've found that many radion show hosts use the 'Will you let me talk..." line... a pretty interesting complaint coming from a person who's on the radio 4-5 hours a day..... 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
doctoro wrote:

doctoro wrote:

Just listened to the whole exerpt of you one the show. What's with the ad hominems on your activism and devotion of time to the site? It would have been more interesting for her to have an actual debate with you.

I don't think she's ever read any atheist literature. I think she's insulated herself, and she doesn't even give you enough time to speak to discuss your position. How is she going to learn about the atheist position if she interrupts all you say?

The most laughable part was her confusion over whether an atheist (on Christianity) and agnostic (on deism) is a consistent postion. Just goes to show she knows very little about the atheist position.

And what a hypocrite she is!!! She gives you a hard time for being an activist -- who doesn't get paid; talks about how she needs a job -- but doesn't realize she has a radio show for probably the same purpose. Of COURSE, if you could generate a sustainable income with your radio show like SHE CAN, you would!!!! It's a crying shame you're not syndicated like her!!! Heck, if someone rails you like this again, you might ask them how they got their start in radio or TV, etc. It's not inconceivable that you will make an income from freethought media one day, in fact, I would say it is likely.

Most people in radio, TV, musicians, actors, writers, artists etc. would start out without a sustainable income from following their passion at first.

I thought you handled yourself well.

If she refuses to come on -your- show, I can only think it's because she's intimidated. With you and the RRS "not letting her get away" with fallacies and ad hominems, she is doomed.

If someone else asks you to be on their show, maybe you can tell them you'll do it on the condition that they be on -your- show!

Most dangerous to unreason, maybe.

Laura is not a "journalist" and neither are Bort, Lykis or Howard Stern. They are all entertainers and all are trained the same way. They read superficially, about the guest, mainly because they work 80 hours a weak dealing with all sorts of people and all sorts of guests.

Pluss the goal is one thing, to pander to a demographic to make the media company they work for appeal to the most advertisers who buy their add time. They are not trained in classical forensic debate as taught in highscool or college. The host is there to use the apposing guest as a punching bag to make themselves look like the hero. Both left and right do it and it is nothing but slick media tactics.

So when you go off on Laura what both left and right should actually do is go off on media bias. Media today as far as radio talk and cable news is not journalism, it is propaganda worship. It is nothing more than big media going, "How can I make money".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
IA_atheist wrote: Thanks

IA_atheist wrote:

Thanks for this site and these forums, I find myself drawn to the Atheist vs. Theist debate (much to my wife's dismay Laughing)

Why the laughing face at your wife's dismay? Why are you so angry with the woman you swore to love and protect for the rest of your life?

Quote:
and I plan on getting a few books, especially Dawkins and learning/reading much more about it for my own personal growth.

Great for you. Keep learning.

Quote:
And if it costs me my marriage, so be it, I was married in a house of "God" under false pretenses anyway.

Have you thought of renewing your vows in a secular setting ... a park maybe? You don’t have to have reference to god for the vows to be legal.

We had a friend authorized by the state (or city or what ever) to conduct our marriage. I removed reference to god (before I was even an atheist!!) and that part where I have to obey...lol. What was left of the original was really quite short.

Quote:
That's how devoted I have become to my views of Atheism lately

Throughout this post I have seen a lot of emotion and almost no reason. Please slow down, and give logic a place in your thoughts.

Quote:
and I thank many of you for helping me find my way.

You've only just begun, and it's an amazing ride (and challenging when you have a theistic partner). Laughing out loud

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
I heard Brian made the

I heard Brian made the Vatican's hit list! Congrats! I'm jealous, hopefully I'll get on there soon

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: I heard Brian

Tomcat wrote:
I heard Brian made the Vatican's hit list! Congrats! I'm jealous, hopefully I'll get on there soon

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

HA HA HA  HA,

Well, if the Pope thinks he can forcably shut us up he's got another thing comming. He'd have to commit an act of genocide to silence us. Other than that, he's just another salesman of fiction and hopefully he will never have that kind of power.

He cant have us arrested. I certainly hope Europe and America values the freedom of everyone and not one theocrats view of who the ultimate boss is. If he thinks he is my boss, he can suck an egg. I am not his boss, but he is not my boss either.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote:I heard Brian

Tomcat wrote:

Good job Brian!  Does this also mean you have been officially excommunicated?  All you need now is an Islamic fatwa against you.  Once that happens, you know you've made it.

politicalhumanist
politicalhumanist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You, Brian, dangerous? Get

You, Brian, dangerous? Get real! Dude, you don't even have a criminal background! Smiling <--- The smile means I am trying to be funny, feel free to laugh.