What is "real" Christianity?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is "real" Christianity?

I would like to know once and for all precisely what "judeo-christian" means. The phrase "judeo-christian values" is bandied about ever and anon, with such implied objectivity, that one presumes to end (and win) any discussion by merely mentioning it. Yet when I examine the phrase, it is anything but clear what is meant herein. judaism and christianity, in a broad sense, are in dispute on many topics (including, but not limited to, the divinity of jesus). Why are they then cobbled together in this catch-phrase? Because they share a common tradition? Islam parttakes just as much from this tradition. Would george bush sound less credible should he say "judeo-christian-islamic"? judaism and islam are in agreement that jesus was not divine. christianity and islam are in agreement that jesus was a man of god. So how do we settle on "judeo-christian"?

Examining further, we see that judaism and christianity are decidedly heterodox. There are orthodox jews, conservative jews, reform jews, hasidic. There are jews who believe the book of genesis is historical, and that Israel is ordained by divine right. Yet there are also gay and atheist synagogues.

"Christian" serves to identify Pat Robertson (evangelical TV personality), pope benedict (catholic, termed the anti-christ by some other denominations), Gene Robinson (gay episcopalian minister), Fred Phelps (hates homosexuals, loves IEDs), and Ted Haggard (hates homosexuals, except when he's getting massaged). The amish are christian, who reject technology. The megachurches are christian, which are so hi-tech they need their own electric grids. New denominations pop up all the time with new twists on the old story, while some denominations now exist only as encyclopedia articles.

So what is "judeo-", what is "christian", and what is "judeo-christian". I simply feel that when one uses the phrase, one seeks to tap the support of all to whom that phrase applies, which cuts fairly wide in its scope. If we define the particulars, and settle on what exactly values the phrase indicates, the scope of that phrase might shrink drastically. We would at least have greater clarity in our discussions and that would be a good thing.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
The "original greek & hebrew manuscripts" have been translated multiple times "throughout history". Prior to Gutenberg, the texts were copied by hand with the great potential for human error. Many of those "original manuscripts" were derived from oral tradition, which itself has the potential to change details over time (think of the game Telephone). Furthermore, it was not until the 4th century that any attempt at a biblical canon was made. Prior to that, disparate christian communities each had their own list of what counted as holy texts. Christian doctrine was nebulous enough that Arianism was able to develop and take root -- a strain of christianity which denied jesus' divinity. Constantine had to convoke the council of Nicaea to stamp it out.

The greek and hebrew texts may very well have had errors concerning trivial details (from 700 to 7000 troops or something like this) however this does not show contradiction since the essence of the message has remained the same. You can easily tell when there is a writing which is going against this message (i.e. out of context) and when it is not (such as the gnostic gospels). This is exactly what the canon set straight however the original writings have remained consistent...

zarathustra wrote:
Apart from these caveats, it is an egregious distortion to speak today of a "christian community" as if it is a cohesive group with a unified set of doctrines. Previously, I asked sugarfree what the 'christian' stance was on various topics such as biblical literalism, the eucharist and contraception. The truth is, there is no standard 'christian' stance on these and many other topics -- which is to say that 'the christian community' is a essentially fictitious.

You are speaking of dogma, not Christian stance. Unfortunately it is common that dogma will contradict or cloud what the true Christian meaning is. The "Christian Community" however exists because that is defined as those who believe in Christ Jesus, irregardless of dogma.

zarathustra wrote:
There is never a one-to-one correspondence between the vocabularies and semantics of two languages. When choosing the appropriate words in a translation, one is bound to settle for imperfection. Consider that many words in the English language have different meanings or connotations than they did in Stuart England (when the KJV was commissioned). It is very presumptuous indeed to claim you know the precise semantics of "πνευμα" from 2,000 years ago, as well as the appropriate counterpart in modern English.

I'm not exactly sure what you got that from but in Hebrew, the word referring to spirit is "ruwach" (Strong's 07307). It's definition in using Hebrew Lexicon is "spirit"; it makes no reference to "force".

zarathustra wrote:
Please elaborate. What makes mormonism's ideas "really wild" in contrast to those of the "christian community"

I'm surprised you are not familiar with this. Forgive me if I'm brief but I am shooting with what I have off the top of my head (I've got a lot of extensive notes on both Mormon and JW).

According to the Book of Mormon, the belief that when you die you follow the path of Jesus and become a God unto your own place in heavens (not the heaven, but some kind of realm). There is more to it but I just can't remember it right now...

zarathustra wrote:
The angel moroni appeared to j.s. and told him where he could find the golden plates with the book written on them. How is that any less outlandish than Moses receiving the 10 commandments on golden tablets on mt. sinai, or gabriel appearing to mary to tell her she'll have a child?

There is a difference which you skimmed over I'm sure - Moses was approached by God himself, no angel and in the case of Mary, she was approached by an angel who identified himself as a messenger from God. It is attributed that it was an angel of the Lord because the angel identified himself as such. In the case of Moroni, at no time did this spirit attribute himself to God. While the name of Jesus was used, as Moroni claims he saw Jesus "face to face", the problem here is that would mean that Jesus had returned to Earth when he had already previously said (from the Gospels) he would not do until the end of time. This would be in direct contradiction to those texts and hence could NOT have been Jesus. At that point the remainder of what was spoken concerning the golden plates would be seen as Moroni as well as Smith were mislead by an evil spirit.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: There are

Voiderest wrote:
There are men who would let you do that, find them.
I happened to have already found agood man. Relationships develop over time and sometimes you end up where you didn’t expect. That doesn’t mean the other person is bad or that your unexpected destination is all bad. It could be, like in my case, I did not know myself well enough at certain points in my life to make the best decisions for myself. Now I am in a situation, thinking, huh, how’d I get here. “Uh, wait, can I have a do over?” I wouldn’t give up my current relationship, I might just make different decisions within that relationship.
Voiderest wrote:
To a point men and women are different, but you should ask yourself why this seems to be the case.
My best guesses would be, no Y chromosome and different hormones.
Voiderest wrote:
No, I’m pretty sure this is about middle. I say about because there is still some bullshit going on (on both sides) In simple terms, feminism is a belief in the equality of the sexes, and a movement organized around the conviction that biological sex should not be the pre-determinant factor shaping a person’s social identity or socio-political or economic rights.
I won’t deny that there are good things about the feminist movement. There are many great things about it. The problem with feminism is when women actually lose their feminity because they are trying so hard to be like men. This mindset is damaging to women. Back when my mom was growing up in the sixties, she felt frowned upon by other women for deciding to stay home and raise kids. What I mean about the pendulum swinging back to the middle is that women need to, indeed, have a choice. Either, to work OR to stay home and pop out babies. Right now, the staying home and popping out babies is happening less. If this continues, we may start to see our birth rate drop as it has in Europe. Europe is not currently producing enough offspring to sustain itself culture so they are, in effect, becoming a dying breed. I would hate to see that happen in the US, but I am among those women who look at the prospect of working AND having kids at the same time, and I end up throwing up my hands because those two things seem REALLY hard to do in tandem. I mean, I’ve only got so much energy…
Voiderest wrote:
seem to be unwilling to pay any attention to areas where men may be discriminated against If that is what you mean by feminism then that seems to throw that whole equality thing out the window.
Actually, I do see a bad trend where girls are favored in school and are really encouraged to succeed, where boys are not given the same kind of encouragement. I see that boys that should be encouraged to be strong leaders, but are all too ignored in favor of the “smart girls”. If I were a guy, that would really annoy me. Well, it annoys me even tho I’m not a guy.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: The

razorphreak wrote:

The greek and hebrew texts may very well have had errors concerning trivial details (from 700 to 7000 troops or something like this) however this does not show contradiction since the essence of the message has remained the same. You can easily tell when there is a writing which is going against this message (i.e. out of context) and when it is not (such as the gnostic gospels).

You cannot easily tell. Many christian detractors of homosexuality flip straight to the book of Leviticus to back up their position, yet ignore nearly every other admonition in that book.  The bible has been used to both justify and abolish slavery, or to curtail and advance women's rights among other duplicities.  Routinely, one takes from the bible what one wants to take.

razorphreak wrote:
This is exactly what the canon set straight however the original writings have remained consistent...

The functioning versions of christianity today result from the subjective decision in the 4th century to discard gospels such as Thomas and Peter, as well as the Arius' teachings.  Hardly a study in consistency.

razorphreak wrote:
You are speaking of dogma, not Christian stance. Unfortunately it is common that dogma will contradict or cloud what the true Christian meaning is.

What a particular denomination professes to be "true Christian meaning" is as much a part of its dogma as anything else. 

razorphreak wrote:
The "Christian Community" however exists because that is defined as those who believe in Christ Jesus, irregardless of dogma.

As mentioned before, your stated criterion of "belief in jesus christ" applies to jw's and mormons.  They believe in jesus, so by this simple standard of yours, they are christian.  Yet in your most recent post, you disqualified them due to differences of dogma.  Yet when challenged on the irreconcilable dogmatic differences within the "christian community", you respond by saying dogma is irrelevant, and we're back to "belief in jesus" as the definitive standard.  Your argument has come full circle. 

razorphreak wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you got that from but in Hebrew, the word referring to spirit is "ruwach" (Strong's 07307). It's definition in using Hebrew Lexicon is "spirit"; it makes no reference to "force".

zarathustra wrote:
Please elaborate. What makes mormonism's ideas "really wild" in contrast to those of the "christian community"

I'm surprised you are not familiar with this.

You flatter me.  I am somewhat familiar with this, but I wish to see your logic in operation as you distinguish between "really wild" mormonism and "normal" christianity.

razorphreak wrote:

According to the Book of Mormon, the belief that when you die you follow the path of Jesus and become a God unto your own place in heavens (not the heaven, but some kind of realm). There is more to it but I just can't remember it right now...

That is indeed "really wild".  It is patently ridiculous.  However, I do not see how it is any more ridiculous than the standard christian beliefs of a god who became a man, died and rose from the dead, so as to save us from the punishment that he himself prescribed for us. 

razorphreak wrote:
There is a difference which you skimmed over I'm sure - Moses was approached by God himself, no angel and in the case of Mary, she was approached by an angel who identified himself as a messenger from God. It is attributed that it was an angel of the Lord because the angel identified himself as such. In the case of Moroni, at no time did this spirit attribute himself to God.

It would appear at this point that your argument for mormonism's falsehood is that the angel did not explicitly identify himself as a messenger of god.  I beg your pardon, but this seems like nothing more than a game of "Simon Says".

razorphreak wrote:
While the name of Jesus was used, as Moroni claims he saw Jesus "face to face", the problem here is that would mean that Jesus had returned to Earth when he had already previously said (from the Gospels) he would not do until the end of time. This would be in direct contradiction to those texts and hence could NOT have been Jesus. At that point the remainder of what was spoken concerning the golden plates would be seen as Moroni as well as Smith were mislead by an evil spirit.

If I'm not mistaken, mormons use the same bible you do.  Needless to say, they have managed to find a way to make the joseph smith story and the book of mormon fit with the bible, which is satisfactory in their own minds.  As there is no overarching authority (nor ever has been) to determine what christianity is and what the proper reading of the bible is, anyone is free to form their own version of the story.  Mormonism just represents another offshoot (albeit more drastic) of the same nebulous jesus story, alongside all the other thousands of variations.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: triften

sugarfree wrote:
triften wrote:
It's not like you don't have a choice.
Certainly, I have a choice, however, it is not as easy nowadays to make the choice to stay home and raise a kid, as boys are also growing up under the impression that women go to school and get jobs just like they do.

So, peer pressure? 

sugarfree wrote:

triften wrote:
What's forcing you to work? If it's purely an income issue, don't you think that has more to do with the economy than the radical idea that women are people, too?
Well, yes of course, it is economical. I have been bringing home the bacon for awhile now, which is empowering, however, gee, it would feel great to be taken care of in that way. Also, now that it accepts that women can and/or should work, our economy has shifted as such that now two incomes are almost required. Probably the main reason for that shift, myself included, is that our (US society's) expectations have gone right up with our household earning potential. I have a pretty nice house, and for me to stay home, we'd REALLY have to downsize. Maybe this will happen. I don't know. Time will tell...

So, you'd rather have your current nice house than be a stay-at-home mom. Again, you've made a choice and the choice is still there. (You previously said you were "stuck" sending your kids to daycare.)

(Personal accountability is a bit of a thing with me.) 

-Triften 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: sugarfree

triften wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
triften wrote:
It's not like you don't have a choice.
Certainly, I have a choice, however, it is not as easy nowadays to make the choice to stay home and raise a kid, as boys are also growing up under the impression that women go to school and get jobs just like they do.

So, peer pressure?

sugarfree wrote:

triften wrote:
What's forcing you to work? If it's purely an income issue, don't you think that has more to do with the economy than the radical idea that women are people, too?
Well, yes of course, it is economical. I have been bringing home the bacon for awhile now, which is empowering, however, gee, it would feel great to be taken care of in that way. Also, now that it accepts that women can and/or should work, our economy has shifted as such that now two incomes are almost required. Probably the main reason for that shift, myself included, is that our (US society's) expectations have gone right up with our household earning potential. I have a pretty nice house, and for me to stay home, we'd REALLY have to downsize. Maybe this will happen. I don't know. Time will tell...

So, you'd rather have your current nice house than be a stay-at-home mom. Again, you've made a choice and the choice is still there. (You previously said you were "stuck" sending your kids to daycare.)

(Personal accountability is a bit of a thing with me.)

-Triften

Man, listen, you don't know much about me.  I guess I made the mistake of sharing too much personal info.  Don't worry, I'm sure I'll figure it out just fine.  Now enough about my life. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
You cannot easily tell. Many christian detractors of homosexuality flip straight to the book of Leviticus to back up their position, yet ignore nearly every other admonition in that book. The bible has been used to both justify and abolish slavery, or to curtail and advance women's rights among other duplicities. Routinely, one takes from the bible what one wants to take.

You can easily tell if you need to get down to the true source of things but I will say you are correct in that people take from the bible what they wish to make it what they want. It's the "What would Brian Boytano do" scenario...except in this case there is one clear point to what is written in the bible and how things flow from old to new..

zarathustra wrote:
The functioning versions of christianity today result from the subjective decision in the 4th century to discard gospels such as Thomas and Peter, as well as the Arius' teachings. Hardly a study in consistency.

As I stated before, you cannot call into question those due to their nature and how they do very much contradict what is actually in the bible as we know it. There are huge problems with those writings, knowns as gnostic texts, much in the same way there is with the translations that the JW's and Mormons use.

zarathustra wrote:
As mentioned before, your stated criterion of "belief in jesus christ" applies to jw's and mormons. They believe in jesus, so by this simple standard of yours, they are christian. Yet in your most recent post, you disqualified them due to differences of dogma. Yet when challenged on the irreconcilable dogmatic differences within the "christian community", you respond by saying dogma is irrelevant, and we're back to "belief in jesus" as the definitive standard. Your argument has come full circle.

Actually...they don't. Jehovahs first do not subscribe to the idea of the trinity, believe that Jesus was the angel Michael first then became man, and then died with no resurrection but rather he became a "spiritual creature" (according to the NWT).  Salvation is not obtained according to Jesus but the doctrines of the Governing Body (watchtower documents) and remaining in "good standing" with the church.  As it stands also, JW's do not believe that Jesus was killed not on a cross but a stake.

Mormons don't even believe that Jesus was born of a virgin birth (which would go against scripture from Daniel and Isaiah). They believe that Jesus was born from a "natural act" much in the way we are born but God came down to do the duties himself (Journal of Discourses Cool. Speaking of God, he was once human too by the way, according to the Mormon texts. Jesus by the way is also considered to be the half-brother of Lucifer (Gospel Though the Ages p15). The Jesus that Mormons believe died not to save us but to make salvation possible. This then goes though various degrees of what salvation you can achieve as well.

Neither JW or Mormon believe in the same Jesus that Christians do.

zarathustra wrote:
It would appear at this point that your argument for mormonism's falsehood is that the angel did not explicitly identify himself as a messenger of god. I beg your pardon, but this seems like nothing more than a game of "Simon Says".

That game of simon says is actually VERY important to Christianity. As it states in the bible, if you do not test the spirits that come to you, you can be deceived because no spirit that is from God will ever take credit for the work themselves (one of the reasons why the Catholic process of making saints just drives me nuts). - 1 John 4:1-3

zarathustra wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, mormons use the same bible you do.

In a sense they do but they hold that to be secondary to the Book of Mormon. There is a reason why their dogma sounds so familiar however when it comes down to it, it's not.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

magilum
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: magilum

sugarfree wrote:
magilum wrote:
Stoping thinking so much. Remember, Sugarfree is only nominally a Christian. Her philosophy is WHATEVER plus Jesus portrayed as a big yellow smiley face.
Magilum, why can't we try to understand each other on civil terms?

What denomination are you?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: What

magilum wrote:
What denomination are you?
I go to a Christian church. (A Restoration Movement church.)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
wiki entry for Restoration

wiki entry for Restoration Movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_Movement

just for grins 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: You can

razorphreak wrote:

You can easily tell if you need to get down to the true source of things but I will say you are correct in that people take from the bible what they wish to make it what they want. It's the "What would Brian Boytano do" scenario...except in this case there is one clear point to what is written in the bible and how things flow from old to new..

No, it is not clear.  What with the multiple translations, mis-translations and scribal errors, any present-day copy is a warped version of the "original manuscripts".  And, once again - the multitude of denominations, with their disparate dogmatic details further attest to the lack of clarity.  If it is all so clear, why was no canon established until the 4th century, and why isn't there simply one christian church?

razorphreak wrote:

As I stated before, you cannot call into question those due to their nature and how they do very much contradict what is actually in the bible as we know it. There are huge problems with those writings, knowns as gnostic texts, much in the same way there is with the translations that the JW's and Mormons use.

As I stated before, it was not until the 4th century that they were tossed out for good.  If the jesus story was so crystal clear, how did these alternate gospels develop and hold their own for so long? 

As I asked before, who decides what "real" christianity is?  On whose authority do JWs and Mormons not make the cut?

razorphreak wrote:

Neither JW or Mormon believe in the same Jesus that Christians do.

Inasmuch as christians subscribe to different denominations, they cannot be said to all believe in the same jesus either.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
It would appear at this point that your argument for mormonism's falsehood is that the angel did not explicitly identify himself as a messenger of god. I beg your pardon, but this seems like nothing more than a game of "Simon Says".

That game of simon says is actually VERY important to Christianity.

Very well.

razorphreak wrote:
As it states in the bible, if you do not test the spirits that come to you, you can be deceived because no spirit that is from God will ever take credit for the work themselves (one of the reasons why the Catholic process of making saints just drives me nuts). - 1 John 4:1-3

So are catholics not christians either now?  Are they following a different jesus?

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: No, it

zarathustra wrote:
No, it is not clear. What with the multiple translations, mis-translations and scribal errors, any present-day copy is a warped version of the "original manuscripts". And, once again - the multitude of denominations, with their disparate dogmatic details further attest to the lack of clarity. If it is all so clear, why was no canon established until the 4th century, and why isn't there simply one christian church?

As to why it took 400 years to make one canon it comes from the necessity thanks to incorrect word of mouth traditions and falsehoods.  The original manuscripts I'd dare to say are largely unchanged from their origins and what changes were done almost entirely happened when it went from Greek to Latin, still leaving Greek as the true source.

zarathustra wrote:
As I stated before, it was not until the 4th century that they were tossed out for good. If the jesus story was so crystal clear, how did these alternate gospels develop and hold their own for so long?

The alternate gospels authenticity was never clear to begin with.  They were removed based on one of the principles of what the canon defined as being "authentic" - contradiction.  For example, in the Gospel of Judas, it is said Jesus pulled Judas aside and told him he was the greatest disciple because of what he would have to do.  In the other gospels, Jesus told them all there is not a greatest and not one should put himself before the other.  There are other issues with the gnostic texts as well (such as the period in which they were written) that lead to their removal.

zarathustra wrote:
As I asked before, who decides what "real" christianity is? On whose authority do JWs and Mormons not make the cut?

If you are asking if it's a specific person that said no, to that I have no answer because as far as I know, there never was one.  The reasons however that show why they are not considered are above. 

zarathustra wrote:
Inasmuch as christians subscribe to different denominations, they cannot be said to all believe in the same jesus either.

Actually, no.  Denominations form because of dogmatic practices that superseded the teachings of the bible. The difference from Christian denominations and that of JW/Mormon is to what regard Jesus is held and in ALL Christian views, there is a trinity, Jesus is the son of God by virgin birth, and Jesus gave us salvation.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
No, it is not clear. What with the multiple translations, mis-translations and scribal errors, any present-day copy is a warped version of the "original manuscripts". And, once again - the multitude of denominations, with their disparate dogmatic details further attest to the lack of clarity. If it is all so clear, why was no canon established until the 4th century, and why isn't there simply one christian church?

"One of the most important contributions of the Dead Sea Scrolls is the numerous Biblical manuscripts which have been discovered. Until those discoveries at Qumran, the oldest manuscripts of the Hebrew Scriptures were copies from the 9th and 10th centuries AD by a group of Jewish scribes called the Massoretes. Now we have manuscripts around a thousand years older than those. The amazing truth is that these manuscripts are almost identical. Here is a strong example of the tender care which the Jewish scribes down through the centuries took in an effort to accurately copy the sacred Scriptures."

"The entire book of Isaiah and text from all but one other book, Esther, in the Hebrew Bible were found in the scrolls, which largely -- if not precisely -- confirmed the accuracy of later translations of the Bible."

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugar, if you're going to

sugar, if you're going to copy and paste, you should at least provide the link to the original article, or at least cite it. After finding and reading the article myself, I have another critique - you ought not to selectively copy and paste paragraphs which support your view, at least not when other points made in the article run counter to it (my emphasis added):

"The scrolls shake us up a bit because they show that there were about three different versions of the Bible around in that time period," presenting a challenge to the concept of the immutable word of God, said Peter Flint, another expert on the scrolls at Trinity Western.

Most of the Dead Sea Scrolls, some 670 of the nearly 900, are "non-biblical" documents that include commentary on the biblical texts and rules for living, providing a rich picture of Jewish thought and life at the time of Jesus Christ...Scholars say it is clear that many of these "non-biblical" scrolls were regarded by those who held them 2,000 years ago as sacred texts, as scripture -- as part of the "Bible" of their day.

As more and more scrolls were discovered, the questions piled up like windblown sand: Who were the authors? Why were some of their documents incorporated into the modern Bible and some left out? And why, if some of these sacred texts were written during the time of Jesus, is there no mention of the birth of Christianity?

[The article does go to present the arguments of some scholars that the scrolls do acknowledge christianity -- but emphasizes that they lie in the minority]

So sugar, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls demonstrate that there was never any fixed canon. The existence of the scrolls incidentally cast further doubt on jesus' historicity -- as some date to the exact time and region in which jesus was presumed to have lived, one ought to expect some exact reference to him. Yet there is no mention of jesus.

As far as the accuracy of translation, which was the point of your post: The DSS represent earlier versions than what was previously known, they are still only copies do not represent the original manuscripts -- they only date to around the first century, hundreds of years after the originals were written. It has been shon that when texts are transmitted by handwritten copies, errors always find their way in -- both intentionally and not. The Talmud itself acknowledges the errors arising in copied texts - mentioning deliberate scribal alterations of Old Testament texts. Furthermore, there are no New Testament texts among the Dead Sea Scrolls, so they do not get a free pass on accuracy -- or at least your definition of it. The numerous errors in the King James versions show that even the printing press did not introduce a new standard of biblical accuracy. Our old friend Joseph Smith claimed that the versions of the bible in use at the time were erroneous. So as far as mormons are concerned, "mainstream" christians are reading the wrong version of the bible.

So sugar, at best the DSS allow for greater (but not complete) accuracy in modern biblical scholarship, but do nothing to suggest that there was at any time a pure and uncorrupted version of anything; it does not change the fact that for the 2 millennia prior to their discovery, christianity has meandered and morphed with faulty translations in tow. Never have we held in our hands the word straight from god.

πππ†
π†††

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: sugar,

zarathustra wrote:

sugar, if you're going to copy and paste, you should at least provide the link to the original article, or at least cite it.

You have fingers and Google. Search for "The Dead Sea Scrolls."

zarathustra wrote:

After finding and reading the article myself

Okay, see? I knew you were capable of your own research.

zarathustra wrote:

"The scrolls shake us up a bit because they show that there were about three different versions of the Bible around in that time period," presenting a challenge to the concept of the immutable word of God, said Peter Flint, another expert on the scrolls at Trinity Western.

Most of the Dead Sea Scrolls, some 670 of the nearly 900, are "non-biblical" documents that include commentary on the biblical texts and rules for living, providing a rich picture of Jewish thought and life at the time of Jesus Christ...Scholars say it is clear that many of these "non-biblical" scrolls were regarded by those who held them 2,000 years ago as sacred texts, as scripture -- as part of the "Bible" of their day.

As more and more scrolls were discovered, the questions piled up like windblown sand: Who were the authors? Why were some of their documents incorporated into the modern Bible and some left out? And why, if some of these sacred texts were written during the time of Jesus, is there no mention of the birth of Christianity?

So sugar, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls demonstrate that there was never any fixed canon. The existence of the scrolls incidentally cast further doubt on jesus' historicity -- as some date to the exact time and region in which jesus was presumed to have lived, one ought to expect some exact reference to him. Yet there is no mention of jesus.

As far as the accuracy of translation, which was the point of your post: The DSS represent earlier versions than what was previously known, they are still only copies do not represent the original manuscripts -- they only date to around the first century, hundreds of years after the originals were written. It has been shon that when texts are transmitted by handwritten copies, errors always find their way in -- both intentionally and not. The Talmud itself acknowledges the errors arising in copied texts - mentioning deliberate scribal alterations of Old Testament texts. Furthermore, there are no New Testament texts among the Dead Sea Scrolls, so they do not get a free pass on accuracy -- or at least your definition of it. The numerous errors in the King James versions show that even the printing press did not introduce a new standard of biblical accuracy. Our old friend Joseph Smith claimed that the versions of the bible in use at the time were erroneous. So as far as mormons are concerned, "mainstream" christians are reading the wrong version of the bible.

So sugar, at best the DSS allow for greater (but not complete) accuracy in modern biblical scholarship, but do nothing to suggest that there was at any time a pure and uncorrupted version of anything; it does not change the fact that for the 2 millennia prior to their discovery, christianity has meandered and morphed with faulty translations in tow. Never have we held in our hands the word straight from god.

As far as your points, I have not studied the dead sea scrolls, I happened to be listening to the radio last night and heard about the scrolls and how they are almost identical translations. So, yes, it looks like scholars are going to be fighting about who's right, etc. and everyone is going to have their opinion, and each side is going to be biased and see them as evidence for their side. Whatever, I'm not going to debate that. At least not right now, because I would have to study them myself before I come to any conclusions. However, I do find it quite fascinating that a version of Isaiah from over 2000 years ago is almost identical to what I have in my Bible, and I think that points to the fact that I can be confident my translation, that it hasn't been all mucked up like you were saying. (Wow, 2000 years still doesn't impress you. You seem hard to please. Hopefully they will continue to find earlier texts. I hope there is some evidence out there capable of changing your mind about the Bible. Only time will tell.) As far as whether there we different versions of the Bible, that is certainly interesting. I will learn more about the scrolls in due time, because they seem to be a wealth of information.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

it looks like scholars are going to be fighting about who's right, etc. and everyone is going to have their opinion, and each side is going to be biased and see them as evidence for their side. Whatever, I'm not going to debate that.

What do you mean you're not going to debate that? You're the one who brought it up.

sugarfree wrote:
However, I do find it quite fascinating that a version of Isaiah from over 2000 years ago is almost identical to what I have in my Bible, and I think that points to the fact that I can be confident my translation, that it hasn't been all mucked up like you were saying.

Which version are you using? Many versions in use still reflect the errors propagated over the last 2 millennia. The "accuracy in translation" confirmed by the DSS refers to the ancient translation into Greek (Septuagint), certainly not the copy in English you have in front of you.

All of a sudden the old testament is a big deal to you because of the DSS - whereas before you dismissed all the problems with the old testament because the new testament took over. Try not to ignore that the DSS provided no confirmation of accuracy in the new testament -- nor any confirmation for the existence of jesus, despite dating to the same period.

Once again, you're just taking what you want to take from the article (or the radio, or any other source you use).

sugarfree wrote:
(Wow, 2000 years still doesn't impress you. You seem hard to please.

Wow, the 5,000 year old Vedas don't impress you. You are too easily pleased.

sugarfree wrote:

Hopefully they will continue to find earlier texts. I hope there is some evidence out there capable of changing your mind about the Bible. Only time will tell.)

If evidence emerges, I will surely change my mind. But until time tells, let's leave the bible -- and any religion based on it -- in the fiction section.

sugarfree wrote:

As far as whether there we different versions of the Bible, that is certainly interesting.

Interesting enough for you to reconsider your beliefs? 

πππ†
π†††

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Man,

sugarfree wrote:

Man, listen, you don't know much about me. I guess I made the mistake of sharing too much personal info. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll figure it out just fine. Now enough about my life.

No, I don't. That doesn't mean I can't ask for clarification on your claims.

I'm sure you'll figure out what to do, just please don't make untrue statements in the meantime.

-Triften 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
zarathustra wrote:

sugar, if you're going to copy and paste, you should at least provide the link to the original article, or at least cite it.

You have fingers and Google. Search for "The Dead Sea Scrolls."

zarathustra wrote:

After finding and reading the article myself

Okay, see? I knew you were capable of your own research.

Sugar, it's not only common courtesy, but part of Intellectual Property to cite or link articles from which you copy information.  People shouldn't have to Google to find that you are copying your information.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: As to

razorphreak wrote:

As to why it took 400 years to make one canon it comes from the necessity thanks to incorrect word of mouth traditions and falsehoods.

You are correct about the multiple word of mouth traditions, but it is rather subjective to label them as "incorrect" and "falsehoods".  If the story of jesus was so obviously true, one has to wonder how incorrect traditions and falsehoods developed in the first place, then flourished alongside the "orthodox" tradition--a phenomenon that continues today.

It took until the 4th century to attempt one canon because it was not until then that christianity became a state-sanctioned religion (it was Emperor Constantine that convened the Nicean council).  As the Protestant Reformation attests, settling on one canon did not have its intended unifying effect.

razorphreak wrote:

The alternate gospels authenticity was never clear to begin with. They were removed based on one of the principles of what the canon defined as being "authentic" - contradiction. For example, in the Gospel of Judas, it is said Jesus pulled Judas aside and told him he was the greatest disciple because of what he would have to do. In the other gospels, Jesus told them all there is not a greatest and not one should put himself before the other. There are other issues with the gnostic texts as well (such as the period in which they were written) that lead to their removal.

This begs the question.  Whose place was it to decide what was authentic or not?  When and where was the standard of authenticity set? 

razorphreak wrote:

If you are asking if it's a specific person that said no, to that I have no answer because as far as I know, there never was one. The reasons however that show why they are not considered are above.

Agreed:  there never was one.  "Authenticity" was determined by council vote, hundreds of years after the myths began circulating.  So what passes for christian orthodoxy today was determined by a group of men raising their hands in the 4th century.  Not the best indication for transcendent, incontrovertible truth.  

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Actually, no. Denominations form because of dogmatic practices that superseded the teachings of the bible. The difference from Christian denominations and that of JW/Mormon is to what regard Jesus is held and in ALL Christian views, there is a trinity, Jesus is the son of God by virgin birth, and Jesus gave us salvation.

Actually, yes.  Even if all the thousands of denominations hold these christian views of the trinity, the virgin birth and salvation, they each worship a different jesus.  Some believe jesus is returning in their lifetime, others don't.  (Incidentally, the early christians thought jesus was returning in their lifetime.  Since they were wrong, should we still regard them as christians?)  Some believe jesus hates homosexuals, others don't.  Some believe jesus can be (and needs to be) consumed in the form of bread and wine.  Some christians will find that their moral systems are more in line with those of JWs, mormons or other non-christians, than they are with those who share their "christian views".  

When dogmatic practice can run rampant in so many different directions, one has to wonder what the actual point is of these "christian views" as you define them. 

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: If the

zarathustra wrote:
If the story of jesus was so obviously true, one has to wonder how incorrect traditions and falsehoods developed in the first place, then flourished alongside the "orthodox" tradition--a phenomenon that continues today.

You want the techie answer or the answer based upon God?

The techie answer would be selective learning.  Just as we have denominations that preach showing of faith by handling snakes many others form from "we'll follow this part but not that so we can say we are different."

The God based answer is almost the same but where the source comes from.  Just as Satan fooled Eve into thinking God said something that he really didn't and how he tried to fool Jesus into using scripture out of context, Satan can easily lead other astray. 

zarathustra wrote:
So what passes for christian orthodoxy today was determined by a group of men raising their hands in the 4th century. Not the best indication for transcendent, incontrovertible truth.

I'm sure that can be twisted just enough to say men wrote the bible as well.  If God has his influence then we believe the actions being done are the right way to follow. 

zarathustra wrote:
Actually, yes. Even if all the thousands of denominations hold these christian views of the trinity, the virgin birth and salvation, they each worship a different jesus. Some believe jesus is returning in their lifetime, others don't. (Incidentally, the early christians thought jesus was returning in their lifetime. Since they were wrong, should we still regard them as christians?) Some believe jesus hates homosexuals, others don't. Some believe jesus can be (and needs to be) consumed in the form of bread and wine. Some christians will find that their moral systems are more in line with those of JWs, mormons or other non-christians, than they are with those who share their "christian views".

We can go back and forth on this topic even though I've already given you proof on exactly how they differ.  Every generation thinks they know when Jesus will return but only God knows this, as written in the gospels.  This is one reason I don't use Revelation often as a means for scripture because even if those views come true, they are far to symbolic to understand or reveal any timetable.  Defining "christian views" is simple because it revolves around the example of one person.  The additional letters in the NT do not make new scripture, only re-enforce what Jesus already taught.  It is the difference from that where JW's and Mormon's differ as they do create new scripture and pervert the existing into meaning something other than what was intended which is why they are not considered "Christian".  All the others (Christian denoms) do worship the same Jesus.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Razor wrote: "Just as we

Razor wrote:

"Just as we have denominations that preach showing of faith by handling snakes many others form from "we'll follow this part but not that so we can say we are different.""

"This is one reason I don't use Revelation often as a means for scripture because even if those views come true, they are far to symbolic to understand or reveal any timetable."

Contradict yourself much? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
atta way jc...keep taking me

atta way jc...keep taking me out of context and call it a contradiction.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: atta way

razorphreak wrote:
atta way jc...keep taking me out of context and call it a contradiction.

I quoted you twice in the same post. What context were you shooting for? If you can't keep your thoughts straight in one post it's not my fault

You blasted some folks who call themselves Christians for following some parts of the Bible and not others. I pointed out where you were doing the same by not using Revelation. No matter what reason you claim (and why your reasons are more right than the other people's), you are still culling the Scripture for the things you like and rejecting what you don't.

You also like to draw differences between the OT and the NT by saying that Christians are only bound by the NT. You do realize Revelation is in the NT, don't you? 

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: You blasted

jcgadfly wrote:
You blasted some folks who call themselves Christians for following some parts of the Bible and not others. I pointed out where you were doing the same by not using Revelation. No matter what reason you claim (and why your reasons are more right than the other people's), you are still culling the Scripture for the things you like and rejecting what you don't.

You also like to draw differences between the OT and the NT by saying that Christians are only bound by the NT. You do realize Revelation is in the NT, don't you?

OK bible study time it seems...

1. The NT is the OT fulfilled.  That means that the law is complete, especially the points of sacrifice, as Jesus became all of those.

2. Revelation is scripture that is not ignored but not usually used in the context of explaining what Christianity is.  It is prophesy...future tense.  This is why it's rare to use Revelation to explain scripture.

Make more sense now? 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zathurista,

zarathustra,

One more note on the gnostics and their writings: their additional teachings and beliefs are in direct contradiction with the gospels and the words from Jesus as they were of the belief that only they knew the truth behind Jesus and only they were given this understanding, and oh, they can't share it nor will it be shared with anyone who isn't gnostic. The History Channel makes these writings seem like they were on the bubble to being added when the reality is they never had a chance because of consistency and the realistic possibilities the writings were actually written by whom they are attributed do not exist (for example, the Gospel according to Mary Magdalen could not have been written by a woman because at the time it was not part of the culture to allow a woman to be educated nor obtain a position over a man). The letters of John are directly pointed against the gnostic movement because while they claimed to be the one's given the knowledge (what the word "gnostic" was derived from), John lets them know, wait a minute, we were there guys and we know that Jesus was not for a special few but for all to know...

1 John 1:1-2 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: You

razorphreak wrote:

You want the techie answer or the answer based upon God?

I want the answer based on truth, but I'll take what I can get.

razorphreak wrote:
The techie answer would be selective learning. Just as we have denominations that preach showing of faith by handling snakes many others form from "we'll follow this part but not that so we can say we are different."

And this is a good thing? Is a denomination's claim to being christian invalidated by such cherry picking?

razorphreak wrote:

The God based answer is almost the same but where the source comes from. Just as Satan fooled Eve into thinking God said something that he really didn't and how he tried to fool Jesus into using scripture out of context, Satan can easily lead other astray.

Once again, begging the question. In each denomination, its adherents believe that they have the "real" version, and all others are a little off, or way off -- or not christian at all. Without an objective standard (sound familiar?), how do we determine which denominations are being lead astray by satan (and to what degree), and which denomination is on the straightest path (the one least fooled by satan)?

razorphreak wrote:
zarathustra wrote:
So what passes for christian orthodoxy today was determined by a group of men raising their hands in the 4th century. Not the best indication for transcendent, incontrovertible truth.

I'm sure that can be twisted just enough to say men wrote the bible as well.

No twisting required. The bible was in fact written by men.

razorphreak wrote:
If God has his influence then we believe the actions being done are the right way to follow.

Um, begging the question. Again. Each denomination believes it is getting the best reception of god's influence. How do we measure for god's positive influence vs. satan' negative influence? If we could in fact measure for this, wouldn't we be able to establish which is the truest version of christianity, and dismiss all the others as obvious heresies?

razorphreak wrote:
...All the others (Christian denoms) do worship the same Jesus.

So the very same jesus "influences" the episcopalians to vote in female and homosexual pastors, then "influences" the presybterians to vote down gender neutral language for the trinity, then goes to Rome to advise the pope on catholic doctrine (no democratic vote required)?

With a jesus like this, who needs satan to sow confusion?

πππ†
π†††

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

OK bible study time it seems...

1. The NT is the OT fulfilled. That means that the law is complete, especially the points of sacrifice, as Jesus became all of those.

2. Revelation is scripture that is not ignored but not usually used in the context of explaining what Christianity is. It is prophesy...future tense. This is why it's rare to use Revelation to explain scripture.

Make more sense now?

Yep. You're still picking and choosing the parts of the Bible you want to deal with and giving the high, hard one to the parts that you don't. Cafeteria Christianity at its finest.

You're just using Jesus as an excuse for it. Just like almost every other Christian I've ever met (the ones that don't have never tried to shove their religion on me).

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Cafeteria

jcgadfly wrote:
Cafeteria Christianity at its finest. You're just using Jesus as an excuse for it. Just like almost every other Christian I've ever met (the ones that don't have never tried to shove their religion on me).

LOL if Jesus is what Christanity is about, can't you put 2 and 2 together to figure that Jesus is no excuse?  

I don't know about whom else you've met but I'm not here to force anything on you.  I'm explaining Christanity because that is the subject of this thread.  It's actually OK that you don't understand it though because I've made my point...I suppose it's easier for you to simply dismiss it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Cafeteria Christianity at its finest. You're just using Jesus as an excuse for it. Just like almost every other Christian I've ever met (the ones that don't have never tried to shove their religion on me).

LOL if Jesus is what Christanity is about, can't you put 2 and 2 together to figure that Jesus is no excuse?

I don't know about whom else you've met but I'm not here to force anything on you. I'm explaining Christanity because that is the subject of this thread. It's actually OK that you don't understand it though because I've made my point...I suppose it's easier for you to simply dismiss it.

If the majority of Christians actually followed the words of Jesus I'd really have no problems with them.

Unfortunately, you and so many others I've encountered have decided to follow the words of Paul of Tarsus, the commonly accepted father of what is now called Christianity.

To do this you use variations of Romans 6:14 which says you're not under law (any law, not just sacrificial, ceremonial or dietary laws). This is where you bring up Romans 6:15 and I counter with Romans 4:14-15 and Romans 5:20-21. Paul can't keep himself straight in that short stretch of writing.

To make the statements he makes in Romans, he uses Jesus as an excuse. Why should I expect you to be different from he who created your religion?

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
If the majority of Christians actually followed the words of Jesus I'd really have no problems with them. Unfortunately, you and so many others I've encountered have decided to follow the words of Paul of Tarsus, the commonly accepted father of what is now called Christianity. To do this you use variations of Romans 6:14 which says you're not under law (any law, not just sacrificial, ceremonial or dietary laws). This is where you bring up Romans 6:15 and I counter with Romans 4:14-15 and Romans 5:20-21. Paul can't keep himself straight in that short stretch of writing. To make the statements he makes in Romans, he uses Jesus as an excuse. Why should I expect you to be different from he who created your religion?

No single person on this planet right now living is perfect and to claim that Christians need to be perfect in order to be believable is just stupid. You know as well as every person on this forum that is not possible nor will it ever be.

Your lack of understanding of Romans is obvious. Paul tells you, in Romans 1:1 whom he serves. He corrects Corinth in 1 Corinthians 1:10-17 that it is not him anyone should follow because his words and inspiration come from Jesus. And you accuse me of "Cafeteria Christianity" when you, who does not believe in the words written, are calling them contradictions when, once again, you use them in the context that you want instead of what they are actually written in. If you want to ask questions about what Christianity is, which happens to be the title of this thread, I'll answer them.

To your point...you say you can use Romans 4 and 5 to "contradict" Romans 6 yet you do not understand the purpose of each of those chapters. Romans 4 is directed to all in Rome, Jew and Gentile, to make the point that there was no law at the time of Abraham yet he was considered righteous. He explains starting at verse 13 (which you conveniently left out) how the promise that God made was given to Abraham - because of his faith not because of law. Paul uses 14-15 as a "devils advocate" statement in saying if it was only about law then faith would count for nothing.

Romans 5 adds to his point of faith and relates it all back to Jesus and how that gives us exactly what Jesus' words speak - life eternal thanks to Jesus' sacrifice. The verses you use justify your second rebuttal are about how only from laws can we realize what sin is and knowing what sin is helps you achieve righteousness in following the example of Jesus. God used the laws to have his chosen people rise up to his glory but when we could do no such thing, God's mercy sent us Jesus to fulfill/complete the laws so we who are imperfect only need follow one example....

My only hope is you would start asking questions instead of beginning with an assumption that is a lie. Paul's words are nothing more than Jesus' words all over again but with a lot more detail because he was the apostle to the Gentiles which means his job was to convey who Jesus was to those who did not believe to start with. His mission was far more difficult than that of Peter or the others and his words are not to justify himself but rather to give credit to Jesus.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Razor,

Razor,

That must be why Paul contradicted the words of Jesus on several occasions and held a different belief about Jesus than modern churches sell.

Links:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shabir.ally/new_page_43.htm (Yes this is a Muslim source but it uses Biblical passages to make its points)

http://www.wordwiz72.com/paul.html

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/paul/paul.htm

I know you can find some links to make your case as well. Ask yourself, though, how many rest on the presuppositions on which Christianity is based?

Oh, and your condescending attitude has been noted. You are fortunate that I lean toward treating every forum as though it were "Kill 'em with Kindness". Otherwise, you'd have several new body orifices by now.

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
That must be why Paul contradicted the words of Jesus on several occasions and held a different belief about Jesus than modern churches sell.

Links:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shabir.ally/new_page_43.htm (Yes this is a Muslim source but it uses Biblical passages to make its points)

You accuse me of "cafeteria Christianity" and you bring me those? Let me say first you bring forth sources from non-Christians who are blinded to the truth by God. Their writings make sense to n one except those willing to believe anything but the word from God.

Your first source is basing the argument incorrectly from the beginning. Paul is addressing God as the creator and Jesus as a man on Earth. It does not implicitly separate the two as separate deities but rather just two states (God as father, Jesus as son while man on earth); the writer is reaching by twisting the verses to spotlight the fact that Paul wrote both. He is trying to disprove the trinity illogically.

Your second source, trying to prove that salvation must be obtained by deeds, well I can only call him way off base since most of his arguments don't make sense. He's doing quite a lot of miscontexual (that a word?) referencing in trying to say "OK this will give you heaven, no wait this will, no wait let's try a third way, OK this one for sure...maybe."

Matthew 11:27 No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

The gift of faith can only be granted by God to understand who Jesus is. No deeds will accomplish this. Knowing Jesus is the key to salvation but it does not mean a free ticket nor does it give you leeway to act the fool either. Jesus, just like Paul and Peter and James and John, all give further instructions on how to act like a Christian and what it gives you when you do. Because you've been given the faith does not mean you can't be moved to evil later because there is a saying, "The closer you get to God the closer you will get to Satan" meaning as you are drawn in by the grace of God Satan will step up the attacks, give you more reasons to doubt, and present you with falsehoods to make you think twice.

Your third reference..."he created Pauline Christianity. Because there are no known writings from Jesus, the actual Apostles, or anyone that actually knew Him in the flesh (other then perhaps James), most of what He taught is lost forever."

He starts off with a lie. There is no "Pauline Christanity" which I've already given you biblical references to (all you have to do is read the first few lines of all Paul's letters and you'll see where he gives credit to). The second statement, "no known wittings", why is he omitting the gospels?

His first stab at a contradiction, a timeline issue of what states in Acts to where he went after receiving the gift from the spirit of Jesus vs. what he stated in Galatians; he's speaking of two separate instances in which he traveled to Damascus, once when he was told how to get his vision back and the second time (hence the word returned in v17 meaning he had already been there) after what I would describe as meditation.

The one I found most interesting is putting Paul at odds with other disciples. He mentions Acts 21:21 as proof that James and Paul disagreed however he reads the verse out of context (again).

Acts 21:19-24 Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: "You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, so do what we tell you. Here are four men with us who have made a vow. Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everybody will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law.

If you read the fullness of when Paul arrived in Jerusalem you would understand that James is repeating A RUMOR about Paul, not him confronting Paul.

One additional note about the 3rd...anyone who has read the Letter to the Hebrews would understand it is not Paul's style of writing so where he got that it was traditionally attributed to Paul is suspect. Hebrews has always been attributed to Peter, which if you read that letter along with Peter's epistles you'd understand why.

jcgadfly wrote:
I know you can find some links to make your case as well. Ask yourself, though, how many rest on the presuppositions on which Christianity is based?

Christianity is based upon the example of Jesus and defined by the apostles. Your sources twist what the bible states to try to make it seem otherwise...so which presuppositions do you speak of; the one's who's faith made known to them the truth or the one's who do it for Earthly glory?

jcgadfly wrote:
Oh, and your condescending attitude has been noted. You are fortunate that I lean toward treating every forum as though it were "Kill 'em with Kindness". Otherwise, you'd have several new body orifices by now.

And how am I supposed to take this? You come at me with a hostile attitude and you expect no reaction? If I sound condescending it is because of frustration....it is not personal and you shouldn't get so angry over it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Links:

You accuse me of "cafeteria Christianity" and you bring me those? Let me say first you bring forth sources from non-Christians who are blinded to the truth by God. Their writings make sense to n one except those willing to believe anything but the word from God.

Your first source is basing the argument incorrectly from the beginning. Paul is addressing God as the creator and Jesus as a man on Earth. It does not implicitly separate the two as separate deities but rather just two states (God as father, Jesus as son while man on earth); the writer is reaching by twisting the verses to spotlight the fact that Paul wrote both. He is trying to disprove the trinity illogically.

Your second source, trying to prove that salvation must be obtained by deeds, well I can only call him way off base since most of his arguments don't make sense. He's doing quite a lot of miscontexual (that a word?) referencing in trying to say "OK this will give you heaven, no wait this will, no wait let's try a third way, OK this one for sure...maybe."

Matthew 11:27 No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

The gift of faith can only be granted by God to understand who Jesus is. No deeds will accomplish this. Knowing Jesus is the key to salvation but it does not mean a free ticket nor does it give you leeway to act the fool either. Jesus, just like Paul and Peter and James and John, all give further instructions on how to act like a Christian and what it gives you when you do. Because you've been given the faith does not mean you can't be moved to evil later because there is a saying, "The closer you get to God the closer you will get to Satan" meaning as you are drawn in by the grace of God Satan will step up the attacks, give you more reasons to doubt, and present you with falsehoods to make you think twice.

Your third reference..."he created Pauline Christianity. Because there are no known writings from Jesus, the actual Apostles, or anyone that actually knew Him in the flesh (other then perhaps James), most of what He taught is lost forever."

He starts off with a lie. There is no "Pauline Christanity" which I've already given you biblical references to (all you have to do is read the first few lines of all Paul's letters and you'll see where he gives credit to). The second statement, "no known wittings", why is he omitting the gospels?

His first stab at a contradiction, a timeline issue of what states in Acts to where he went after receiving the gift from the spirit of Jesus vs. what he stated in Galatians; he's speaking of two separate instances in which he traveled to Damascus, once when he was told how to get his vision back and the second time (hence the word returned in v17 meaning he had already been there) after what I would describe as meditation.

The one I found most interesting is putting Paul at odds with other disciples. He mentions Acts 21:21 as proof that James and Paul disagreed however he reads the verse out of context (again).

Acts 21:19-24 Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: "You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, so do what we tell you. Here are four men with us who have made a vow. Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everybody will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law.

If you read the fullness of when Paul arrived in Jerusalem you would understand that James is repeating A RUMOR about Paul, not him confronting Paul.

One additional note about the 3rd...anyone who has read the Letter to the Hebrews would understand it is not Paul's style of writing so where he got that it was traditionally attributed to Paul is suspect. Hebrews has always been attributed to Peter, which if you read that letter along with Peter's epistles you'd understand why.

jcgadfly wrote:

Christianity is based upon the example of Jesus and defined by the apostles. Your sources twist what the bible states to try to make it seem otherwise...so which presuppositions do you speak of; the one's who's faith made known to them the truth or the one's who do it for Earthly glory?

jcgadfly wrote:

And how am I supposed to take this? You come at me with a hostile attitude and you expect no reaction? If I sound condescending it is because of frustration....it is not personal and you shouldn't get so angry over it.

If you consider what you've seen from me as hostile (I can't see hostile - confrontaional, yes, but not hostile. Give me some examples?) you probably shouldn't stick around here too much longer.

Trust me, I'm tame compared to many here.

You don't have any examples of Jesus' life because there are no contemporary sources (because he never lived?). The best you have are works written roughly 40 years after Jesus supposedly lived and twenty years after Paul wrote his stuff. Now you know how Pauline Christianity came to be.

All of the "out of context" claims you make still leave one basic question unanswered:

Why does this God-breathed, divinely inspired book meed to be read and interpreted in context? Shouldn't a God who wants people to believe in him be able to write (or tell his ghost writers to write) in a manner that is easily understood no matter the context? 

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: If you

jcgadfly wrote:
If you consider what you've seen from me as hostile (I can't see hostile - confrontaional, yes, but not hostile. Give me some examples?) you probably shouldn't stick around here too much longer.

Trust me, I'm tame compared to many here.

I've seen worse...and maybe I've become too trigger happy since I start deeming all the same... 

jcgadfly wrote:
You don't have any examples of Jesus' life because there are no contemporary sources (because he never lived?). The best you have are works written roughly 40 years after Jesus supposedly lived and twenty years after Paul wrote his stuff. Now you know how Pauline Christianity came to be.

The death of Jesus is guesstimated to be sometime around 30-40 AD.  The Gospel of Mark, the oldest, is said to be written around 65-75 AD.  That puts it around 25-35 years...my point being that those who walked with Jesus would have certainly been alive.  You say no contemporary sources yet you forget the Jewish historian Josephus and a Roman historian who's name I forget.

Pauline Christianity does not exist; you and your source are making it up to prove a falsehood. 

jcgadfly wrote:
Why does this God-breathed, divinely inspired book meed to be read and interpreted in context? Shouldn't a God who wants people to believe in him be able to write (or tell his ghost writers to write) in a manner that is easily understood no matter the context?

Two points on this...

1. There is a point to be made about the time period in which these were written - our culture is not that of how people lived 2000 years ago.  Much of what is misunderstood is cultural based which means to the people of the time, it was VERY clear.  We have to do studies today to understand meaning and culture to get all dimensions of what the writers spoke of (but the message remains the same and relatively simple)
  2. The gift of faith that God gives includes the ability to understand the texts and understand cultural points when studied.  Without this so called intelligent men who cannot understand what was not given to them will thump their chests with the answers all the while be wrong.  This reminds me of all these paleontologists who just announced how they got it wrong with the dinosaurs and now have to correct their displays - 20 years ago they didn't consider themselves wrong then but now they are?  What if they are wrong about God too?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razor wrote: "The death of

razor wrote:

"The death of Jesus is guesstimated to be sometime around 30-40 AD.  The Gospel of Mark, the oldest, is said to be written around 65-75 AD.  That puts it around 25-35 years...my point being that those who walked with Jesus would have certainly been alive.  You say no contemporary sources yet you forget the Jewish historian Josephus and a Roman historian who's name I forget.

Pauline Christianity does not exist; you and your source are making it up to prove a falsehood."

So you're claiming that this Jesus was so important that the writers decided not to write anything about it for two to three decades? If they wanted to build up a believer count why wait so long and let their memories fade?

Josephus's statement mentioning Jesus falls flat as:

1. Not a contemporary of Jesus (born four years after Jesus allegedly died by the most generous interpretation)

2. The statement calling Jesus the Christ is widely accepted as a forgery (or at least an interpolation added by someone other thatn Josephus as a later date).

Link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

As for Tacitus:

1. Again, not around when Jesus was "alive".

Check this link  http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/tacitus.html

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: So you're

jcgadfly wrote:
So you're claiming that this Jesus was so important that the writers decided not to write anything about it for two to three decades? If they wanted to build up a believer count why wait so long and let their memories fade?

OK did you forget that there was no such thing as a printing press?  Everything then was done by hand so who is to say that it didn't take a decade to write at least and another to put together.  Something like these are not written in a day and without today's equipment how long would it take you to copy the gospel of mark considering you still have to work for a living, you are not going to be able to devote 100% of your time to just this, etc etc etc.  Put yourself in the society of 2000 years ago, no telephones, no internet, no automobiles, having to walk where you go, and when it's time to print, the writing materials, the ink, none of these things are exactly easy to come by especially as a Jew in Roman society.  You give far too much credit that it could have been done in say a year or so.

1. Not a contemporary of Jesus (born four years after Jesus allegedly died by the most generous interpretation)

So this means that someone earlier didn't document it or speak of it and Josephus couldn't have been an apprentice who later completed the work or the historian who was interviewing someone who was there?  Historians rarely live at the time of the event...

2. The statement calling Jesus the Christ is widely accepted as a forgery (or at least an interpolation added by someone other thatn Josephus as a later date).

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

Your resource stated the following (in reference to the paragraph listing Jesus and James):

This paragraph is generally accepted as authentic by scholars, although there is debate as to whether the words who was called Christ were in the original passage, or were a later interpolation.

That doesn't sound like a "widely accepted forgery" especially considering that debate didn't have a citation.

Check this link http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/tacitus.html

It appears that you gave me a link that shows it's 50/50 on Tacitus listing Jesus.  While probable is in question, POSSIBLE is there in accordance to observed science. (same argument given to evolution).

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

OK did you forget that there was no such thing as a printing press? Everything then was done by hand so who is to say that it didn't take a decade to write at least and another to put together. Something like these are not written in a day and without today's equipment how long would it take you to copy the gospel of mark considering you still have to work for a living, you are not going to be able to devote 100% of your time to just this, etc etc etc. Put yourself in the society of 2000 years ago, no telephones, no internet, no automobiles, having to walk where you go, and when it's time to print, the writing materials, the ink, none of these things are exactly easy to come by especially as a Jew in Roman society. You give far too much credit that it could have been done in say a year or so.

So this means that someone earlier didn't document it or speak of it and Josephus couldn't have been an apprentice who later completed the work or the historian who was interviewing someone who was there? Historians rarely live at the time of the event...

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

Your resource stated the following (in reference to the paragraph listing Jesus and James):

This paragraph is generally accepted as authentic by scholars, although there is debate as to whether the words who was called Christ were in the original passage, or were a later interpolation.

That doesn't sound like a "widely accepted forgery" especially considering that debate didn't have a citation.

Check this link http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/tacitus.html

It appears that you gave me a link that shows it's 50/50 on Tacitus listing Jesus. While probable is in question, POSSIBLE is there in accordance to observed science. (same argument given to evolution).

That's right. Historians rarely live at the time of the event. That didn't stop you from claiming Josephus and Tacitus as contemporaries of the Jesus character though, did it? 

The interpolation in the TF, though is where you're hanging your belief.

You're betting your entire belief system on the possibility that the interpolation might be true. Funny, most thinking people see controversy on such statements as making them less true, not more.

If Possibility is all you're going by, it's possible that the Bible, the TF and Tacitus' statements could all have been written by the FSM. Not a strong possibility but you're willing to hang your hat on any possibility so here you go.

You're still stuck with the problem of why didn't anyone write about this Jesus guy while he was living, if in fact he lived and did all the things described in the Bible. You'd think some of that would've stuck out in someone's mind while he was supposedly living. The Jesus in the Bible didn't tell everyone to not talk about him.

Or did they need Paul to write his stuff first so they had a concept to flesh out?

That's a possibility also. As you seem to be willing to die on the hills of Possibility, think about it. 

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: You're

jcgadfly wrote:
You're still stuck with the problem of why didn't anyone write about this Jesus guy while he was living, if in fact he lived and did all the things described in the Bible. You'd think some of that would've stuck out in someone's mind while he was supposedly living. The Jesus in the Bible didn't tell everyone to not talk about him.

That falls under the assumption that there were no people recording the events that were happening as they did and those writings didn't make their way into what would become the gospels. By this time there were many many apprentices and their job was to record like crazy so the fact that we don't have any writings about these individuals does not mean they didn't exist (hell Luke and Mark are both considered to be apprentices to apostles). Historians typically go back to what was in existence and put it together to give a complete picture....right?

jcgadfly wrote:
As you seem to be willing to die on the hills of Possibility, think about it.

And yet it's unthinkable for you to consider the opposite.  As I've stated before, I know you will not accept these things as God has not given you the ability to understand them.  Even ignoring that fact, all the evidence presented has enough credibility to present the possibility that there was a Jesus, it's safer for you to deny it but yet you present no logical reason why.  In fact, you deny it so passionately you remind me of the Jews of the time who, even when they saw it with their own eyes, denied Jesus because of the threat to the institution to which you hold so dear...

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

That falls under the assumption that there were no people recording the events that were happening as they did and those writings didn't make their way into what would become the gospels.

Not quite. You're entirely ignoring the fact that Paul makes no mention of most of the gospel events in his letters (no events from jesus' childhood, no miracles, no parables -- just the death and resurrection). So your view falls under the assumption that these amazing, divinely ordained things happened, and nobody bothered for 40 years to write them down, not even while Paul was touring the countryside with his jesus show.

razorphreak wrote:

By this time there were many many apprentices and their job was to record like crazy so the fact that we don't have any writings about these individuals does not mean they didn't exist (hell Luke and Mark are both considered to be apprentices to apostles). Historians typically go back to what was in existence and put it together to give a complete picture....right?

If there were many many apprentices, and they were recording like crazy, we ought to have many many citations of these events, certainly more than the 4 gospels . Surely the Romans would have considered the slaughter of innocents or the release of barabbas significant enough to keep their own records of ... right?

razorphreak wrote:

And yet it's unthinkable for you to consider the opposite.

Not unthinkable -- just unreasonable. With ample evidence, it would certainly be thinkable. But since we're talking about heavy stuff here - you know, god, resurrection, salvation - we ought to expect something more credible than four accounts written 40 years of more after the facts, four accounts which contradict each other on precise details, despite having the same source.

razorphreak wrote:

As I've stated before, I know you will not accept these things as God has not given you the ability to understand them.

Funny...I remember someone saying that this was the god who gave me free will. Now you're saying god him/herself has made me incapable of believing.

And since you now assert that this requires a god-given understanding, we tragically return to the point of this thread: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIFFERENT DENOMINATIONS? If there is some perfect understanding to be received straight from heaven, why is there so much disagreement, even among the believers?  Who has the true understanding and who doesn't? Is god beaming down mixed signals for the fun of it?

razorphreak wrote:
Even ignoring that fact, all the evidence presented has enough credibility to present the possibility that there was a Jesus, it's safer for you to deny it but yet you present no logical reason why.

I assert there is enough "evidence" to present the "possibility" of any religion being true. It's safer for you to deny every other religion (not to mention every other christian denomination besides the one you subscribe to), yet you present no logical reason why. There is certainly enough "evidence" to present the "possibility" that Mormonism is true, which you routinely repudiate. There is plenty of historical evidence that Joseph Smith existed - so how can you deny that god didn't give him the book of mormon on golden plates in upstate New York? Perhaps the mormon god has not given you the "understanding", or the mormon satan is misleading you.

razorphreak wrote:

In fact, you deny it so passionately you remind me of the Jews of the time who, even when they saw it with their own eyes, denied Jesus because of the threat to the institution to which you hold so dear...

So is it the jews' fault that they denied it, or god's fault for not giving them the "understanding"?

And please explain: What is this "institution" you speak of that we as atheists hold so dear?

πππ†
π†††

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

That falls under the assumption that there were no people recording the events that were happening as they did and those writings didn't make their way into what would become the gospels. By this time there were many many apprentices and their job was to record like crazy so the fact that we don't have any writings about these individuals does not mean they didn't exist (hell Luke and Mark are both considered to be apprentices to apostles). Historians typically go back to what was in existence and put it together to give a complete picture....right?

jcgadfly wrote:
As you seem to be willing to die on the hills of Possibility, think about it.

And yet it's unthinkable for you to consider the opposite. As I've stated before, I know you will not accept these things as God has not given you the ability to understand them. Even ignoring that fact, all the evidence presented has enough credibility to present the possibility that there was a Jesus, it's safer for you to deny it but yet you present no logical reason why. In fact, you deny it so passionately you remind me of the Jews of the time who, even when they saw it with their own eyes, denied Jesus because of the threat to the institution to which you hold so dear...

1. If there were people living during the time christ allegedly walked the earth writing down what Jesus said and did as he was saying and doing it, you'd have a contemporary source or sources that you could cite and we wouldn't be continuing this discussion.

2. As an ex-christian, I did live on the possibility as you are doing now. But I also had a desire to seek evidence for Christianity because the joy that they had promised would be there wasn't (not saying I needed to be happy all the time but Scripture didn't say anything about my staying depressed and hopeless) I needed more than just a possibility to hang on to but couldn't find any.

As far as there being a historical Jesus - there were probably thousands. After all, Yeshua was a common name. Was there a Jesus that did all the stuff proclaimed in the Bible - there is no evidence for that. All that you and others have is a belief and a belief is not evidence.  

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
You're entirely ignoring the fact that Paul makes no mention of most of the gospel events in his letters (no events from jesus' childhood, no miracles, no parables -- just the death and resurrection). So your view falls under the assumption that these amazing, divinely ordained things happened, and nobody bothered for 40 years to write them down, not even while Paul was touring the countryside with his jesus show.

I don't remember saying no one wrote anything down for 40 years...when did I say that? If we know that there are were apprentices and scribes (forgot that one the last post) how can you assume that it was just Jesus and his 12 wandering around and no one else?

As to your point of Paul not mentioning Jesus' works...the job of the apostles, every one of them, was to spread the message of Jesus. From Peter to Paul to the 3rd generation starting with Timothy and so forth to today, they all are responsible for informing his message. Jesus' method was to make it known, to open eyes, whereas Paul and others now were on the mission to spread. Every single point that Paul states in his letters is a rewording of what the message of Jesus was. Because he did not mention the miracles, that somehow discredits him? Romans 13:1-7 speaks of the exact same message that Jesus did on paying taxes with the exact same message but worded differently. Romans 13:8-10, the two commandments of Jesus, then again 11-14 Jesus' message of not worrying. Romans 4 and Galatians 3, both dealing with faith vs. observance of the law. Galatians 3:26 speaking of who is worthy being the same message when the disciples argued who was the greatest. Ephesians 1:11 to the end of the chapter, Jesus' message to make the law alive in the hearts (faith) instead of merely written word. I could go on but I'll leave it at that...

zarathustra wrote:
If there were many many apprentices, and they were recording like crazy, we ought to have many many citations of these events, certainly more than the 4 gospels . Surely the Romans would have considered the slaughter of innocents or the release of barabbas significant enough to keep their own records of ... right?

Perhaps...but then we don't know what the Catholic church is holding back from the DSS do we? Also, when the temple was destroyed near the turn of the century, who knows how much was destroyed with it (much like the Mayas and how their culture was almost lost forever thanks to the missionaries from Spain).

zarathustra wrote:
Funny...I remember someone saying that this was the god who gave me free will. Now you're saying god him/herself has made me incapable of believing.

You misunderstand. God creates us for a purpose. He can give faith to whom he wishes or allow someone to live in darkness. But to all he gives the freedom to do what you wish according to Earthly and fleshly desires. That freedom however has nothing to do with you believing...

zarathustra wrote:
It's safer for you to deny every other religion (not to mention every other christian denomination besides the one you subscribe to), yet you present no logical reason why. There is certainly enough "evidence" to present the "possibility" that Mormonism is true, which you routinely repudiate. There is plenty of historical evidence that Joseph Smith existed - so how can you deny that god didn't give him the book of mormon on golden plates in upstate New York? Perhaps the mormon god has not given you the "understanding", or the mormon satan is misleading you.

The only "religions" I've denied revolve around perversions of the word and where the dogma is above the bible. JW, Mormon, and Gnostic teachings are like this. Catholic, which is probably the most dogmatic of all Christian denominations, never has their documents stand above the bible itself.

zarathustra wrote:
So is it the jews' fault that they denied it, or god's fault for not giving them the "understanding"?

And please explain: What is this "institution" you speak of that we as atheists hold so dear?

Again God made them blind to the truth. It was God's purpose to have them demand the death of Jesus so Christianity would become what it did. If Jesus had lived instead of being crucified or more so, not resurrected, would we even have the same conversation?

jcgadfly wrote:

1. If there were people living during the time christ allegedly walked the earth writing down what Jesus said and did as he was saying and doing it, you'd have a contemporary source or sources that you could cite and we wouldn't be continuing this discussion.

Same response I gave above...when the temple was destroyed, who knows what else went with it. But the sources we do have not to mention the fact that Christians themselves are past and present proof of Jesus, it continues.

2. As an ex-christian, I did live on the possibility as you are doing now. But I also had a desire to seek evidence for Christianity because the joy that they had promised would be there wasn't (not saying I needed to be happy all the time but Scripture didn't say anything about my staying depressed and hopeless) I needed more than just a possibility to hang on to but couldn't find any.

The truth and joy comes from God, not from others. The proof I needed was actually hearing the word from God when I finally started to listen. I still slip but not like I used to and definitely not in the same manor. Please don't take this personally but I myself used to be miserable and depressed and I at times felt like I couldn't do anything about it. I discovered that the reason I felt this way was because I was doing what I wanted instead of what God's word was telling me I should do. I regret nothing of what I've done because it taught me lessons..understanding that sleeping around or getting drunk or using drugs was not the path to living a life that I wanted to be proud of and it took one hell of an event to snap me out of it. Being a Christian is not about going to church at some building or how much is 10% or even saying God bless you. Being a Christian is following the faith that God gives and the example he gave with Jesus, both of which are enforced by the texts in the bible. When that takes over in your heart you find it hard to even want to revert back to the other way that you used to live...

jcgadfly wrote:
All that you and others have is a belief and a belief is not evidence.

But when you know where that belief came from because you received it just as clearly as if someone handed you a diploma on a stage, it's evidence enough for you to want to live that way with all you have even when you screw up...

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: 1. If there

jcgadfly wrote:

Same response I gave above...when the temple was destroyed, who knows what else went with it. But the sources we do have not to mention the fact that Christians themselves are past and present proof of Jesus, it continues.

-----

Why would the Jews keep anything about Jesus? He was a heretic and infidel to their faith, right? Wasn't that why they wanted Rome to execute him? Your response doesn't make sense according to the Bible you believe in.

For me, it's simply a shorter step to think that there is no evidence because the Jesus of the Bible didn't exist than to have to engage in the kind of mental gymnastics you're working at.

Also, your claim that christ is proven because christians exist is as unreliable as saying the FSM exists because there are people who call themselves pastafarians. 

-----

The truth and joy comes from God, not from others. The proof I needed was actually hearing the word from God when I finally started to listen. I still slip but not like I used to and definitely not in the same manor. Please don't take this personally but I myself used to be miserable and depressed and I at times felt like I couldn't do anything about it. I discovered that the reason I felt this way was because I was doing what I wanted instead of what God's word was telling me I should do. I regret nothing of what I've done because it taught me lessons..understanding that sleeping around or getting drunk or using drugs was not the path to living a life that I wanted to be proud of and it took one hell of an event to snap me out of it. Being a Christian is not about going to church at some building or how much is 10% or even saying God bless you. Being a Christian is following the faith that God gives and the example he gave with Jesus, both of which are enforced by the texts in the bible. When that takes over in your heart you find it hard to even want to revert back to the other way that you used to live..

-----

No worries about how I take it. I just wanted to add that I'm happier now than I ever was when I was trying to live under others' wildly different but biblically based views of God. 

-----

jcgadfly wrote:
All that you and others have is a belief and a belief is not evidence.

But when you know where that belief came from because you received it just as clearly as if someone handed you a diploma on a stage, it's evidence enough for you to want to live that way with all you have even when you screw up...

-----

Thanks for that lovely emotional appeal. Doesn't make your belief more real or evidentiary.

— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

I don't remember saying no one wrote anything down for 40 years...when did I say that?

I apologize for the confusion. I didn't mean to insinuate that you said that. I'm saying it.

razorphreak wrote:
If we know that there are were apprentices and scribes (forgot that one the last post) how can you assume that it was just Jesus and his 12 wandering around and no one else?

I don't remember saying it was just Jesus and his 12 wandering around and no one else...when did I say that? I'm saying there's no credible record of a jesus of any sort -- not jesus the son of god, not jesus the man who said he was the son of god, not jesus the prophet, not jesus the really popular guy -- no jesus at all.

razorphreak wrote:

Because he did not mention the miracles, that somehow discredits him?

It may not discredit paul, but it discredits the gospels. These gospel events are so essential to your belief today, but not so essential to warrant mention in paul's letters?

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Perhaps...but then we don't know what the Catholic church is holding back from the DSS do we? Also, when the temple was destroyed near the turn of the century, who knows how much was destroyed with it (much like the Mayas and how their culture was almost lost forever thanks to the missionaries from Spain).

Cute...but no good. I'm not sure what the catholic church may or may not be holding back has to do with this.

You proffer the destruction of the temple as a possibility for the lack of contemporary references. You claimed before there were "many many apprentices and scribes" -- do you mean to suggest that the Romans destroyed every last one of the scribal records along with the temple -- then threw in their own records (about Pontius Pilate and barabbas) for good measure?

This ad ignorantium argument can be applied just about anywhere else. Proof of Islam's truth could have been lost in the destruction of Baghdad in the 13th century. Proof of Mormonism could have been lost when a mob attacked and killed Joseph Smith in 1844. Proof that Cajun Man is god could have been lost when Hurricane Katrina overwhelmed New Orleans.

razorphreak wrote:

You misunderstand. God creates us for a purpose. He can give faith to whom he wishes or allow someone to live in darkness. But to all he gives the freedom to do what you wish according to Earthly and fleshly desires. That freedom however has nothing to do with you believing...

What I take this to mean is we don't have to believe in god in order to choose between good and bad. If so, we are in agreement; I then simply do not see why we have to believe in god at all.

razorphreak wrote:

The only "religions" I've denied revolve around perversions of the word and where the dogma is above the bible. JW, Mormon, and Gnostic teachings are like this. Catholic, which is probably the most dogmatic of all Christian denominations, never has their documents stand above the bible itself.

But you just got done saying that god can give us faith or allow us to live in darkness. So -- again -- how do you know that god has not given this faith to others, and you consider them perverse because you remain "in darkness"?

razorphreak wrote:

Again God made them blind to the truth. It was God's purpose to have them demand the death of Jesus so Christianity would become what it did.

You previously said that confusion about christianity results from satan deceiving us. Now you're saying that god makes people blind to the truth. Which is it? And -- again -- how do we determine WHICH denomination has the TRUTH, and which denominations are BLINDED -- whether by god or satan?

razorphreak wrote:

If Jesus had lived instead of being crucified or more so, not resurrected, would we even have the same conversation?

Possibly. If a myth about a fictional jesus had survived, and came to be accepted as true by later generations, we probably would be having this same conversation. Since we have no evidence that there was a jesus at all, it is pointless to speculate on whether he lived, died, or resurrected.

With all due respect, I think you're hedging your bets here. On the one hand you argue that the gospels are credible accounts, from which can be extrapolated contemporary references to jesus' existence--with the understanding that I would believe if presented with contemporary evidence. Yet later you say that only those can believe who god enables to believe...and god deliberately blinds others. This itself runs up against a previous claim of yours that satan deceives us -- something I have already asked you to clarify.

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:
Thanks for that lovely emotional appeal. Doesn't make your belief more real or evidentiary.

If it was you it happened to, might be another story. 

zarathustra wrote:
It may not discredit paul, but it discredits the gospels. These gospel events are so essential to your belief today, but not so essential to warrant mention in paul's letters?

Odd that you'd say that considering Paul's letters are in direct support of what was written...or did you miss the examples I sent you? 

zarathustra wrote:
do you mean to suggest that the Romans destroyed every last one of the scribal records along with the temple -- then threw in their own records (about Pontius Pilate and barabbas) for good measure?

Why would Roman records be in a Jewish temple?  That didn't make any sense... 

zarathustra wrote:
What I take this to mean is we don't have to believe in god in order to choose between good and bad. If so, we are in agreement; I then simply do not see why we have to believe in god at all.

Let me correct you just a bit...

What I'm saying is God makes himself known to everyone and calls many.  But not all that are called are the one's chosen to do God's will.   That means that faith is given to many so belief is not a chosen deal.  Until that happens to you, if it does, it may seem like a choice but it's not.

zarathustra wrote:
how do you know that god has not given this faith to others, and you consider them perverse because you remain "in darkness"?

Because those who have been given the gift understand exactly what it is I speak of and all behave the same.   But it is much more than that....I think I've explained in pretty good detail as to what happens when it hits you.

zarathustra wrote:
You previously said that confusion about christianity results from satan deceiving us. Now you're saying that god makes people blind to the truth. Which is it? And -- again -- how do we determine WHICH denomination has the TRUTH, and which denominations are BLINDED -- whether by god or satan?

Noooo...I'm saying God reveals the truth to some and blinds others, just as in the example of Pharaoh from the bible.

zarathustra wrote:
On the one hand you argue that the gospels are credible accounts, from which can be extrapolated contemporary references to jesus' existence--with the understanding that I would believe if presented with contemporary evidence. Yet later you say that only those can believe who god enables to believe...and god deliberately blinds others. This itself runs up against a previous claim of yours that satan deceives us -- something I have already asked you to clarify.

I'm trying to cover all aspects for you so this has been on several levels.  I'm trying to show you where you can find proof, where you can find possibilities when you have no faith.  For those who are given the gift however, none of that is necessary because it's already been made clear.  It's difficult to clarify anything though if you insist on combining what I'll describe as "points of view".

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Odd

razorphreak wrote:

Odd that you'd say that considering Paul's letters are in direct support of what was written...or did you miss the examples I sent you?

Did you miss what I was talking about?  All the events from jesus' life (not what he said, what he did) prior to the crucifixion?  Not one mention in all those letters? 

As far as those excerpts:  What you give are just general statements - and Paul does not give them as direct quotes from jesus.  By your own admission, they are "worded differently" from what is in the gospels.  If they were worded the same, you might be onto something.  But they aren't, so you're not.

There is nothing to corroborate the gospel events prior to Paul's letters, or even in Paul's letters.  Therefore, in regard to any similarities (however oblique) between what Paul wrote and what jesus is quoted as saying:  it is more reasonable to conclude that the gospel writers borrowed from Paul when formulating their jesus quotes.  Certainly more reasonable than concluding that jesus did his thing, and nobody (including Paul) bothered to write about it until 40 years later, when it was of course still fresh in their memory.

razorphreak wrote:

Why would Roman records be in a Jewish temple? That didn't make any sense...

Of course it doesn't.  Let's review what you said:

Quote:
when the temple was destroyed near the turn of the century, who knows how much was destroyed with it (much like the Mayas and how their culture was almost lost forever thanks to the missionaries from Spain).

So what we have been wondering this whole time is why noone wrote about jesus or any of the events surrounding his life story contemporaneously.  This would include both the Jews and the Romans.  Your desperate attempt to explain this away is the destruction of the jewish temple.  At best, this hail mary pass would account for the lack of jewish testimony to jesus.  As you rightly acknowledge, Roman records would not be in the temple...which means Roman testimony about jesus would have survived.  But we don't have any.  What doesn't make sense here is your use of the temple destruction as an explanation.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Let me correct you just a bit...

What I'm saying is God makes himself known to everyone and calls many. But not all that are called are the one's chosen to do God's will. That means that faith is given to many so belief is not a chosen deal. Until that happens to you, if it does, it may seem like a choice but it's not.

What exactly in my statement are you correcting?  Let's review your quote:

Quote:

He can give faith to whom he wishes or allow someone to live in darkness. But to all he gives the freedom to do what you wish according to Earthly and fleshly desires. That freedom however has nothing to do with you believing...

So once again, this is what I take it to mean (and if I'm wrong and require correction, it's because you aren't being clear enough):  Whether or not I believe is beyond my control; that has to be bestowed by god.  In the meantime, I still have the free choice to do what I wish, to pursue noble actions or succumb to my "Earthly and fleshly desires" -- essentially to be good or bad.  Let me know if I've read you right so far.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
how do you know that god has not given this faith to others, and you consider them perverse because you remain "in darkness"?

Because those who have been given the gift understand exactly what it is I speak of and all behave the same. But it is much more than that....I think I've explained in pretty good detail as to what happens when it hits you.

No, I'm afraid you haven't.  I've asked multiple times how we determine what the true version of xianity is (it is after all, the title of this thread), and you've essentially bobbed and weaved ever since.  Yes, you've made attempts, suggesting that believing in the trinity and a couple of other odds and ends is all that matters, and all the sectarian differences that emerge after that are unimportant.  I'm sorry, but I don't think this flies.  If this "gift" allows for so much heterodoxy and diametrical disagreement among the countless xian denominations, how much are we to actually make of this gift?  One could argue that this gift does more harm than good, with all the confusion that results from it.

As I've already described, this argument backfires upon you.  A JW or Mormon could simply say that they have received the "true" gift and have the "true" understanding, and it is you who can't comprehend it because you have not yet received the gift.  Just as you claim god deliberately blinded the jews to fulfill his purpose, god could also be blinding you and all the other trinitarians, to achieve the next stage in his plan.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Noooo...I'm saying God reveals the truth to some and blinds others, just as in the example of Pharaoh from the bible.

Okay.  So  how do we determine who has the TRUTH, and who is BLINDED -- whether by god or satan?

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
On the one hand you argue that the gospels are credible accounts, from which can be extrapolated contemporary references to jesus' existence--with the understanding that I would believe if presented with contemporary evidence. Yet later you say that only those can believe who god enables to believe...and god deliberately blinds others. This itself runs up against a previous claim of yours that satan deceives us -- something I have already asked you to clarify.

I'm trying to cover all aspects for you so this has been on several levels. I'm trying to show you where you can find proof, where you can find possibilities when you have no faith. For those who are given the gift however, none of that is necessary because it's already been made clear. It's difficult to clarify anything though if you insist on combining what I'll describe as "points of view".

When I asked you why so many false versions of the jesus story circulated before the Nicene council, you attributed it to satan leading people astray.  Then in your response to jcgadfly you said people can't believe unless god gives them the ability.  Then you said god deliberately blinded people to fulfill the plan regarding jesus.  So at any given moment, it seems, satan could be leading us astray, god could be revealing the truth to us, or god could be blinding us for some higher purpose.  The rest of the time, I suppose we're free to look for evidence of jesus - which so far hasn't turned up.

Sorry, this isn't clear to me.  I'm really not sure what you mean by multiple levels here, and I don't see how it's my job to make this all fit together.  These are your points of view, so you provide the clarity.

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Did you

zarathustra wrote:
Did you miss what I was talking about? All the events from jesus' life (not what he said, what he did) prior to the crucifixion? Not one mention in all those letters?

Did you also forget that Paul was writting his letters about the same time as the gospels were being written?   What is more important...what Darwin said/wrote or what he did while he was alive (like did you know he was seasick?  Did you know he married his cousin?)  Should those events have been written about in subsequent letters about the theories that Darwin produced?

zarathustra wrote:
As far as those excerpts: What you give are just general statements - and Paul does not give them as direct quotes from jesus. By your own admission, they are "worded differently" from what is in the gospels. If they were worded the same, you might be onto something. But they aren't, so you're not.

Same as I listed above.  They are worded differently but sent the exact same message.  If you read the comparisons you see the connection and realize they are both talking of the same subject.  In fact, you should be able to say they are saying the same thing.  For example, if I told you I rode my motorcycle vs. I cruised on my harley,  am I not saying the same thing?  If you tell me no because you are trying to be technical...then I guess you got me.

zarathustra wrote:
As you rightly acknowledge, Roman records would not be in the temple...which means Roman testimony about jesus would have survived. But we don't have any. What doesn't make sense here is your use of the temple destruction as an explanation.

Yet you reject the roman historian who wrote about Jesus.  And even though the temple was destroyed, you reject the possibility that Josephus was also correct.  It just surprises me that you have selective as to which you decide is credible and which is not...

zarathustra wrote:
Yes, you've made attempts, suggesting that believing in the trinity and a couple of other odds and ends is all that matters, and all the sectarian differences that emerge after that are unimportant. I'm sorry, but I don't think this flies. If this "gift" allows for so much heterodoxy and diametrical disagreement among the countless xian denominations, how much are we to actually make of this gift? One could argue that this gift does more harm than good, with all the confusion that results from it.

I don't find any confusion nor do those who have received the gift.  I really wish you could share in the same gift because only then you'd understand... 

zarathustra wrote:
Okay. So how do we determine who has the TRUTH, and who is BLINDED -- whether by god or satan?

You test.  Every spirit will either give credit to God or to themselves.  This one is very cut and dry...

zarathustra wrote:
Sorry, this isn't clear to me. I'm really not sure what you mean by multiple levels here, and I don't see how it's my job to make this all fit together. These are your points of view, so you provide the clarity.

Actually they aren't.  Everything I've written, everything I've described, comes right from the bible.  God gives the gift of faith and God can make some blind to the truth.  Each of these cases are those who are doing his will and it is very plain when he wants you to do his will or not.  To all however Satan can influence the direction taken. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Did you

razorphreak wrote:

Did you also forget that Paul was writting his letters about the same time as the gospels were being written?

Not really.  Paul's death is dated to the year 67, which would be before the temple destruction, and before any of the gospels were written.  Good try, though.

razorphreak wrote:
What is more important...what Darwin said/wrote or what he did while he was alive (like did you know he was seasick? Did you know he married his cousin?) Should those events have been written about in subsequent letters about the theories that Darwin produced?

You don't need to believe in Darwin in order to understand his ideas.   Evolution exists independently of Darwin and would have  been discovered eventually with or without him.  But according to christians, it's not enough to follow jesus' ethics, you have to believe in him as well.  That being the case, we need something more than some mythical stories written 40 years after his death (with no intervening mention of him), and compiled into one work 3 centuries  after that.

razorphreak wrote:
They are worded differently but sent the exact same message...

General quotations can be attributed to anyone.  Rabbi Hillel, for one, was quoted as stating the Golden Rule independently of jesus.  The obliquest similarity between one person's writings and another's presumed quotations is hardly sufficient for historical evidence.  With enough searching, you'll find the same continuity in the words of Confucius or buddha.

razorphreak wrote:
Yet you reject the roman historian who wrote about Jesus.

Are you talking about Tacitus again?  What don't you get here? Tacitus was talking about christians.  In mentioning christ, he was simply stating what they worshipped, not that there was an actual christ.  If you think such citation by a Roman historican counts as historical evidence, then Livy's works count as evidence for Juppiter.

razorphreak wrote:
And even though the temple was destroyed, you reject the possibility that Josephus was also correct.

Yes I do.   Peruse this link for why the Josephus citation is untenable.  If you're not feeling up to it, the short form is:  This presumed reference to jesus is not cited for the first 3 centuries after it is written until Eusebius, a known forger.  Earlier manuscripts of Antiquities do not hold the reference.  

And please take note:  Josephus was born in 37, Tacitus in 56.  This would place both after the presumed death of your savior, in approximately 33.  What about the word "contemporary" do you not understand?   You might think it too greedy to ask for an explicit reference to the lord dating between the years 0 and 33 (although if this is god, no request should be too great.  Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence, as someone may or may not have said.).  We should at least expect some contemporary mention of miracle healings, earthquakes or bodies rising from the graves.  Got any?

razorphreak wrote:
don't find any confusion nor do those who have received the gift. I really wish you could share in the same gift because only then you'd understand...

Strange, with all this gift-giving going on, the question is still getting begged.  Doesn't every denomination presume that they have the gift, and all others don't (or at most got the beta version)? Since christian #1 disagrees with christian #2, and they both disagree with christian #27,358, we require an objective way to determine who has the gift and who doesn't.  If we can't determine this, then screw the gift and screw christianity.

razorphreak wrote:
You test. Every spirit will either give credit to God or to themselves. This one is very cut and dry...

I'm not really sure what you mean by "spirit", but anyway:  If spirit #1 and spirit #2 both give credit to god, then what do we do?  If this is "very cut and dry", get on with it:  Cut the fake denominations and dry the real one.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Sorry, this isn't clear to me. I'm really not sure what you mean by multiple levels here, and I don't see how it's my job to make this all fit together. These are your points of view, so you provide the clarity.

Actually they aren't. Everything I've written, everything I've described, comes right from the bible. God gives the gift of faith and God can make some blind to the truth. Each of these cases are those who are doing his will and it is very plain when he wants you to do his will or not. To all however Satan can influence the direction taken.

So god and satan are constantly competing for our minds (with god sometimes competing against himself)?  This makes us out to be mere figurines in a game of table hockey.  I'm insulted.  

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paul's death is dated to the year 67, which would be before the temple destruction, and before any of the gospels were written. Good try, though.

Ummm...Mark was written sometime before 70.

zarathustra wrote:
You don't need to believe in Darwin in order to understand his ideas. Evolution exists independently of Darwin and would have been discovered eventually with or without him.

Interesting conclusion...

zarathustra wrote:
General quotations can be attributed to anyone. Rabbi Hillel, for one, was quoted as stating the Golden Rule independently of jesus. The obliquest similarity between one person's writings and another's presumed quotations is hardly sufficient for historical evidence. With enough searching, you'll find the same continuity in the words of Confucius or buddha.

OK that's about the weakest thing you've said yet. The FACT that the messages delivered are repeated by the letters of Paul and you reduce them to "oblique similarity"....no one in history stated the message like Jesus did and no one since and you think Paul could have just thought up those on his own.

zarathustra wrote:
Doesn't every denomination presume that they have the gift, and all others don't (or at most got the beta version)? Since christian #1 disagrees with christian #2, and they both disagree with christian #27,358, we require an objective way to determine who has the gift and who doesn't. If we can't determine this, then screw the gift and screw christianity.

Yes of course they all do. But who are those who claim received the gift accrediting it to? Mormon?..a man. JW?...a group. Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Nazerene?...God. There is a difference and you have yet to acknowledge that.

zarathustra wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by "spirit", but anyway: If spirit #1 and spirit #2 both give credit to god, then what do we do? If this is "very cut and dry", get on with it: Cut the fake denominations and dry the real one.

Denominations, again, are the result of men thinking they know best on how to worship God. All denominations are wrong and the hope is that all Christians will remove these separations but they do not matter.

zarathustra wrote:
So god and satan are constantly competing for our minds (with god sometimes competing against himself)? This makes us out to be mere figurines in a game of table hockey. I'm insulted.

God does not compete against himself...how did you get that?

mouse
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
General quotations can be attributed to anyone. Rabbi Hillel, for one, was quoted as stating the Golden Rule independently of jesus. The obliquest similarity between one person's writings and another's presumed quotations is hardly sufficient for historical evidence. With enough searching, you'll find the same continuity in the words of Confucius or buddha.

OK that's about the weakest thing you've said yet. The FACT that the messages delivered are repeated by the letters of Paul and you reduce them to "oblique similarity"....no one in history stated the message like Jesus did and no one since and you think Paul could have just thought up those on his own.

• "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD." — Torah Leviticus 19:18
"When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." — Torah Leviticus 19:33-34
  • "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." — Jesus (c. 5 BCE—33 CE) in the Gospels, Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31, Luke 10:27
  • "None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself." — Muhammad (c. 571 – 632 CE) in a Hadith.
  • "This is the sum of duty; do naught unto others what you would not have them do unto you." — Mahabharata (5:15:17) (c. 500 BCE)
  • "What you do not wish upon yourself, extend not to others." — Confucius (ca. 551–479 BCE)
  • "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man." — Hillel (ca. 50 BCE-10 CE)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity 

close enough...?

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:
Ummm...Mark was written sometime before 70.

The most charitable exegesis still places the writing of Mark the time of the 1st Revolt, which began in 66.  This is if one reads the mention of the Temple Destruction as prophetic, rather than a record of the event -- which would place the writing in the year 70 or later.  The primary argument for a pre-70 writing is the Qumran fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls, but that conclusion is widely disputed by scholars.  Even if we allow a date of writing in 66:  This hardly implies "Paul was writting his letters about the same time as the gospels were being written",  unless you contend Paul wrote all of his letters in the last year of his life.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
You don't need to believe in Darwin in order to understand his ideas. Evolution exists independently of Darwin and would have been discovered eventually with or without him.

Interesting conclusion...

Care to elaborate? 

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

The FACT that the gospels were written after Paul's letters are better indication that the gospels are repeating Paul's words, rather than that jesus said his piece, Paul reworded it in his letters, then people finally decided to write down the original quotes.   

And yes, many of those thoughts attributed to jesus can be found in other writings (with different wording, of course).  Mouse has been courteous enough to provide some examples.  Any perceived continuity between the Epistles and the Gospels is hardly remarkable.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Doesn't every denomination presume that they have the gift, and all others don't (or at most got the beta version)?

Yes of course they all do. But who are those who claim received the gift accrediting it to? Mormon?..a man. JW?...a group. Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Nazerene?...God. There is a difference and you have yet to acknowledge that.

Do not baptists, catholics, methodists, lutherans and nazarenes all disagree with one another?  Of course they do, else the wouldn't go by all those different names.  Hence they cannot have all received the same gift.  Each denomination thinks it has the real gift.  Which one is telling the truth?

razorphreak wrote:
Denominations, again, are the result of men thinking they know best on how to worship God. All denominations are wrong and the hope is that all Christians will remove these separations but they do not matter.

I agree with you as far as "all denominations are wrong".  And if you noticed, these separations aren't getting removed; if anything, they're increasing.  The truth of the original beliefs is quite suspect if subscription to them does not preclude these resulting dogmatic separations.

razorphreak wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
So god and satan are constantly competing for our minds (with god sometimes competing against himself)? This makes us out to be mere figurines in a game of table hockey. I'm insulted.

God does not compete against himself...how did you get that?

"competing against himself" was a rhetorical reference to your claim that god blinds people on occasion to further his own goals.  Quite similar to the accusation made against jesus - that he dispelled demons because satan gave him the power to do so.  In any case, according to your scheme, our minds are not always our own:  sometimes god is embedding the truth, sometimes satan is deceiving us, and sometimes god is blinding us from the truth. 

Damn, this game is rigged.   

πππ†
π†††

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: The most

zarathustra wrote:
The most charitable exegesis still places the writing of Mark the time of the 1st Revolt, which began in 66. This is if one reads the mention of the Temple Destruction as prophetic, rather than a record of the event -- which would place the writing in the year 70 or later. The primary argument for a pre-70 writing is the Qumran fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls, but that conclusion is widely disputed by scholars. Even if we allow a date of writing in 66: This hardly implies "Paul was writting his letters about the same time as the gospels were being written", unless you contend Paul wrote all of his letters in the last year of his life.

This going back and forth will not bring us to any kind of agreement.  My point has been that Paul's writtings would have been the result of the message of Jesus.

zarathustra wrote:
The FACT that the gospels were written after Paul's letters are better indication that the gospels are repeating Paul's words, rather than that jesus said his piece, Paul reworded it in his letters, then people finally decided to write down the original quotes.

And yet you seem to think that the possibilities that they were written within the same year of dating is amazing.  I've explained to you how difficult that would have been to write all of what was written in Mark, the shortest, within one year in consideration of the time period.  Of course it seems you've simply dismissed that because you'd rather argue dates.

zarathustra wrote:
And yes, many of those thoughts attributed to jesus can be found in other writings (with different wording, of course). Mouse has been courteous enough to provide some examples. Any perceived continuity between the Epistles and the Gospels is hardly remarkable.

I'm having to research those since he gave no locations to where those are actually written.  I'm coming back to those. 

zarathustra wrote:
Do not baptists, catholics, methodists, lutherans and nazarenes all disagree with one another?

Over what?  Jesus?  NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Over details how how to worship him?  Yes.

zarathustra wrote:
And if you noticed, these separations aren't getting removed; if anything, they're increasing. The truth of the original beliefs is quite suspect if subscription to them does not preclude these resulting dogmatic separations.

The divisions are being caused more and more because of dogmatic practices, not Jesus.  That remains the one thing that keeps them all together. 

zarathustra wrote:
according to your scheme, our minds are not always our own: sometimes god is embedding the truth, sometimes satan is deceiving us, and sometimes god is blinding us from the truth.

Damn, this game is rigged.

LOL.

OK.  If God put you on this Earth for the purpose of, oh I don't know, causing the holocaust, would God present that person with the truth if the holocaust was going to serve the purpose of bringing his people back to Israel?  I know you could say that as God he could have just said "poof" and had it done, but since we don't know his reasoning behind what he does, say he did it because though his actions the world would unite for the formation of Israel and expose the Islamic faith as peaceful or violent (I'm making a guess statement of course).  Anyway my point is God can do this for his will.  The other two I'm sure you understood...I think.