Eugene V. Debs

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eugene V. Debs

"I would no more teach children military training than I would tach them arson, robbery or assassination." [Eugene V. Debs] I've been thinking about this quote all day with respect to the Abrahamic faiths ... In a modern context, I'd replace "military training" with "religious instruction" ... your thoughts?

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give a child military

Give a child military training, and they'll defend their home and neighbors from invasion should one occur.

Give a child fundamentalist literalist religious instruction, choosing to glorify death in defense of the faith and the eradication of heretics, infidels, and other nonbelievers, and that child will go find military training and use it to commit arson, robbery, and assassination during an invasion of an infidel nation.

That's my perspective of it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Military training may be a

Military training may be a bit inappropriate for children, but the fundie religious intruction is actually harmful.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't so much agreeing

I wasn't so much agreeing with Debs (though I may - I have to think about it more).