What does the name your theists parents gave you mean?

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline

ROFL, I just realized my name is a great source of humor. Laughing out loud

My name is Christopher (I go by Chris).

From Behind the Name:

Quote:
Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

Since I've been young, I've been told it means "Believer in Christ". I remember my parents giving me a plaque that says some such thing. Does anyone else have funny christian-based names?

catculus
User is offlineOffline

My name isn't Christian, but I enjoy it's meaning (although I've shared it with you before)

Behind the Name wrote:
From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ?Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ?εκατερος (Hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.

Personally, I like the "torture" one Smiling I've had things that said, "Pure and Esteemed one" as the meaning of my name.

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline

catculus wrote:
My name isn't Christian, but I enjoy it's meaning (although I've shared it with you before)

Cat! Thanks for joining! Congrats on the first post. Laughing out loud

catculus
User is offlineOffline

My joined date is before yours Laughing out loud

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline

catculus wrote:
My joined date is before yours :D

Why'd you lurk so long?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Yeah but it says you "just got here." Sticking out tongue

Anywho... glad you started posting. Smiling

catculus
User is offlineOffline

cbenard wrote:
catculus wrote:
My joined date is before yours :D

Why'd you lurk so long?

Actually, I don't think I came by much after I first joined--I've been incredibly busy. But now I'm too tired to do any work so I'm messing around and there was an email from this site so I dropped by and decided to post.

qwak
User is offlineOffline

Scott -

From a surname which meant "Scotsman" in Old English. The original meaning of the word Scot is debated, but it may mean "tattoo", so given because Scotsmen often had tattoos.

most of my mother's friends gave their kids all ultra-biblical names. It's kinda creepy.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

LAURENCE (1)

Usage: English

Pronounced: LOR-ents [key]
From the Roman cognomen Laurentius, which meant "of Laurentum". Laurentum was a city in ancient Italy, its name probably deriving from Latin laurus "laurel". Saint Laurence was a 3rd-century deacon and martyr from Rome. According to tradition he was roasted alive on a gridiron because, when ordered to hand over the church's treasures, he presented the sick and poor.

I find the whole sick and poor as treasures thing quite ironic, becuase in essence it is the sick and poor that are weak and easily converted. eh?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline

Patrick

Quote:
From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

Shit... :shock: my bad.

"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Equilibrium wrote:
Patrick

Quote:
From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

Shit... :shock: my bad.

and now you've reincarnated as an evil atheist..hellbound to undo the wrong's (chirstianity) you've done..in your past life....hahahahaha

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

According to that site, my name (David) means:

Quote:
Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved".

and thats all it says aside from some stupid background info on king david from the bible such as: "Jesus was supposedly descended from him"

Anyways, i think my mom always told me it was "beloved of god", not just "beloved". Regardless i've always *hated* the 'true meaning' of my queer name. Seriously though, i've always thought David was a retarded name Sticking out tongue

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

As long as retarded biblical names came up, i thought i'd share what my mom named her new german shepherd: "Melchizedek".

YES... its from the bible. Although that names site doesn't have it listed, you can look it up on wikipedia. Some douchebag king from the old testament.

So thankfully, we all just call him "Mel" for short. As my brother pointed out, only crazy evangelicals would name their pet a crazy hebrew name like that. I highly doubt even a jew would use such a name.

By the way, it might not actually apply to pets, but my mom *actually believes* that what you name a child will affect their personality or who they will become or some crazy nonsense like that. So aparently, i'm supposed to share certain characteristics with the David of the bible and every other David just cause my retard parents arbitrarily named me that also. :roll:

NietzschesStudent
User is offlineOffline
Seriously ...

When people ask me if I'm serious, I tell them that I am so serious that my parents called me Ernest. The real reason they called me Ernest was in honor of my Grandfather whose first name was also Ernest. I go by Ernie, as he did, but Grandma always called me Ern or Little Ernie to distinguish us.

My first name is Ernest (English) from the Germanic name Ernst, meaning honost or trustworthy.

My middle name is Allan (English, Alan-Scots/Irish) from the Gaelic word "alain", meaning handsome, noble or charming and implying that a person is at one with nature.

My last name is Whiteside (English). White is the English form of a gaelic phrase, "am ban" (the white), which means untilled soil or pastureland and is opposed to "an dearg" (the red) which means tilled soil. Side is a common reference to the side of a hill. Hundreds of places in Scotland are called Whiteside as a consequence of their being untilled pastureland on the side of a hill. The original Scot spelling was Quhytsyde, the "Quh" making a "wh" sound, "y" being a common Scot letter making the strong "i" sound. Originally "e"s only came at the very end of a word, but and "e" was later placed after the "t" because the word is a combination of two words. For a few hundred years the name had a "s" at the end (Whitesides) which was a popular English way of pluralizing surnames as in Ernest Allan of the Whitesides instead of Ernest Allan of Whiteside (the place) which was the earlier Norman custom. Whiteside, Whitesides, Whitside, Whitsitt and many other forms with a similar sound have been demonstrated by genetic y-DNA studies to derive from the same family use and have the same meaning.

[Never ask Nietzche's Student for the meaning of the word if you aren't ready to spend some time reading...]

They could not hear the music.

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline

GREGORY
Pronounced: GREG-or-ee [key]

From the Latin Gregorius, which was from the late Greek name Γρηγοριος (Gregorios), which was derived from γρηγορος (gregoros) meaning "watchful, alert". This was the name of several saints including three Fathers of the Church: Saint Gregory Thaumaturgus (3rd century), Saint Gregory of Nyssa, and Saint Gregory of Nazianzus (both 4th century). This was also the name of 16 popes, including Gregory I, who was known as Gregory the Great.

The only times in my life I've been called Gregory rather than just Greg were when I was in trouble growing up or my friends were being assholes. Since high school I'm more often than not called by my last name or one of several assorted nicknames depending on which group of friends.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline

jkorath wrote:
As long as retarded biblical names came up, i thought i'd share what my mom named her new german shepherd: "Melchizedek".

What an awful thing to do to a dog. By comparison, a german shepherd my family had when I was growing up was named Sabre, named after a shepherd my mom had, who in turn was named after the F-86 Sabre fighter jet by my grandfather. Much more badass.

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline

LeftofLarry, the first thing I thought of reading your post about your name "Laurence" was this:

Quote:
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What's your name fat-body?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Lawrence? Lawrence what of Arabia?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, No, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: That name sounds like royalty are you royalty?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do you suck dicks?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit. I bet you could suck a golfball through a garden hose.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

Laughing out loud

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

My first name BETH has Hebrew origins, meaning "house". It's also the second letter of the Hebrew letter.

My middle name ANNE also has Hebrew origins, meaning "grace".

My last name GRAHAM is Scotish. Here's what I found out about it: From a Scottish surname which originally derived from an English place name which meant either "gravelly homestead" or "grey home" in Old English. The surname was first taken to Scotland in the 12th century.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Well, mine is one of the Apostles. And my middle name actually is "Christian." Luckily, my parents told me it was for "Mr Christian" (from Mutiny on the Bounty), NOT the religion. :oops:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

CynageN
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
JOHN

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN [key]
English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

FUCK.

cedrickstanton
User is offlineOffline

Weird ... first name Joseph is originally Hebrew, meaning "he will add". My last name is Irish, O'Conghaile meaning "valorous".

-He Will Add Valorous

RossCaleb
User is offlineOffline

pshh, mine sucks:

ROSS

Usage: Scottish, English
Pronounced: RAWS [key]
From a surname which meant "promontory" in Gaelic, originally belonging to someone who lived on a headland. A famous bearer of the surname was Sir James Clark Ross, an Antarctic explorer.

I always thought that if you want to change the world then you have to start with yourself. So if the heads of state want to end terrorism, they should go ahead and kill themselves. - Anti-Flag

Big_Drew
User is offlineOffline

A friend of mine a few years back had a baby name book, so I looked up my name:

Andrew = Manly

Jeremy = Servant of God (from Jeremiah)

I haven't used my middle name in years, it's on my birth cert. and soc. sec. card, but otherwise I don't admit to having more than the letter J.

I am not concerned about hell, or heaven for that matter. If there is a god that sends people to hell, then he is no god of mine no matter how real he is. "Sick fuck," are the last words god would hear me say when he pulls the lever on the hell

natto_the_sane
User is offlineOffline

Natalie - English / French
From the Late Latin name Natalia, which meant "Christmas Day" from Latin natale domini. (oh deary, deary me...) :smt111

Tamara - Russian
Russian form of TAMAR. The name can also mean "spice" in Sanskrit. :smt025

Spicey winter solstice? ...but I know why I got these names - my mother was stoned and watching gymnastics on TV - Natalia & Tamara where apparently the nicest names she heard... good job she wasn't watching the wrestling.

Surname: Gorton
If you ever read Jeff Noon you'll know it's a dodgy area of Manchester (UK). Gorton: Anglo Saxon, describing someone from this small area of Lancashire dating back before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Emigrants to the USA from 1630 onwards.

Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. ~ Virginia Woolf 1928.

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline

Joshua. It's either after the Joshua of the Bible, or the Hebrew term meaning Jehovah.

NietzschesStudent
User is offlineOffline
Joshua

Joshua or Yehosh?a is the formal name, the short form is Josh or Yēshua` and the Greek form is Jesus.

You were named after a famous fictional charachter.

They could not hear the music.

Deathmunkee
User is offlineOffline
name

true story

My mother is a fan of the horror genre, especially the exorcist and the omen. I was named Damien because I reminded her of Damien from the omen, and of course father Damien in the exorcist. A year later, when she got married, my father had became "born again" and was uncomfortable with that bit of knowledge, so he had my name legally changed around to Michael Damien ______.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
BRIAN

Usage: Irish, English

Pronounced: BRIE-an [key]
The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

Ironicly my second name has some scandanavian/viking roots. Smiling
I also have 3 middle names. Sticking out tongue

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

My given name is Michael. According to the site:

Quote:
MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul [key]

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

In reality, I reject God and I can't jump for a shit or dunk - even though I'm 6'3". I did excel in sports back in the day, but being blind in one eye and having no depth prececption sort of dictates you're not going to have great "ball handling skills" - I'm making the joke so you don't have to.

I am a scientist though, so the prophecy rings true Laughing out loud

In reality I'm named after my dad's brother, Uncle Mike - who has numerous arrests for drug related "crimes". I take more after him.

/The Libertarian in me requires the "crime" above to be in quotes.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: What does the name your theists parents gave you mean?

cbenard wrote:
ROFL, I just realized my name is a great source of humor. Laughing out loud

My name is Christopher (I go by Chris).

From Behind the Name:

Quote:
Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

Since I've been young, I've been told it means "Believer in Christ". I remember my parents giving me a plaque that says some such thing. Does anyone else have funny christian-based names?

I have the same name as you.... I wouldn't have minded being an actual christ bearer... then I'd have actual evidence...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
MATTHEW

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]

English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

Haha. A staunch atheist is the gift of god? Now that's saying something. Laughing out loud

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: Joshua

NietzschesStudent wrote:
Joshua or Yehosh?a is the formal name, the short form is Josh or Yēshua` and the Greek form is Jesus.

You were named after a famous fictional charachter.

Oh, I didn't need you to tell me that. Smiling

Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."
The Book Of Satan IV:3, The Satanic Bible

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
ADRIAN

Usage: English, Romanian, Russian, Polish

Other Scripts: Адриан (Russian)

Pronounced: AYD-ree-an [key]

English, Romanian, Russian and Polish form of Hadrianus (see HADRIAN). Six popes have borne this name.

I bring to your attention:

Quote:
Six popes have borne this name.

Holy s*it! That's an... unfortunate... discovery.

However, we have this:

Quote:
HADRIAN

Usage: History

Pronounced: HAY-dree-an [key]

From the Roman cognomen Hadrianus, which meant "from Hadria" in Latin. Hadria was a town in northern Italy (it gave its name to the Adriatic Sea). A famous bearer of the name was Publius Aelius Hadrianus, better known as Hadrian, a 2nd-century Roman emperor who built a wall across northern Britain.

...and smite me if I'm wrong, but I do recall the very same Publius Aelius Hadrianus that made the legendary 12 jewish nation bercome only 2 legendary jewish nation, thus making Christianity almost extinct at the time (unfortunately, only almost).

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

shedevil
User is offlineOffline

My parents weren't theists so none of us were named anything because of any religious stories or whatever. In fact my name appears nowhere in the bible at all. Woohoo! One of my brothers is named Adam but mom picked it just because she liked the name.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

None of these names were found in the database:

Nabila, Najja, Musoke, Maluum, Katsumi, Toshi, etc....

Draw your own conclusion.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline

First name, Donna. Middle name, Marie.

Donna Marie=Lady Mary, for the Virgin Mary. I was born May 1st, and May is one of the two months Catholics dedicate to Mary. The other is October.

Stancel
User is offlineOffline

I have one of those rare names...Stancel. I'm not sure what it means, but it's my grandfather's middle name (legally) but he uses it as his first name. Around the time I was born my grandfather was going through heart problems and had to get surgery I think and so in honor of him my mom named me after him. I really have no idea what it means, I've gotten a few leads, but I don't think they hold enough evidence for me to without a doubt consider that the meaning. I don't think it was made up by my great-grandmother, I think she got it from somewhere, but I can't ask her personally because she died several years ago. But apparently my grandfather doesn't know either. It doesn't matter what it means tho, it's a unique name, and altho at times I've hated how I had to explain to people how to pronounce it (STAN-sul, with the ul in sul rhyming with the el in bagel), I love it because it makes me unique. I wouldn't trade it for a John or a William ever.

However, my middle name isn't that rare that I couldn't find the meaning. Vernon comes from a surname meaning "alder tree" in French.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline

My last name 'Sawyer' means 'One that is employed in sawing wood.'

My first name 'Jameson' is a tad more interesting. The base, 'James' is Hebrew for 'supplanter' A supplanter is one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another. It was my grandfather's name. Kind of a family history. My father did now want me to be a 'Jr'. As he was.. So I offically was named Jameson, pronounced 'James son'.

So apparently I invade your house and make you a coffee table. Aren't I nice!

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Darl
User is offlineOffline
Bradley

"BRADLEY

Pronounced: BRAD-lee [key]
From a surname which originally came from a place name that meant "broad clearing" in Old English. A famous bearer of the surname was the World War II American general Omar Bradley."

Terribly exciting, no? No religious context. My middle name is that of a bird, and my last name Roughly translates to 'travelling salesman' or 'suitcase'. Oh yeah. I'm epic.

Phil
User is offlineOffline

Phillip is 'Lover of Horses.' LOL.

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
My first name is Christen.

My first name is Christen. I think the meaning is pretty obvious. My mom named me that for a few reasons: it's a variation of her own name, I was born on 12/25, she's ultra Christian and after the character who shot J.R. on Dallas. Actually, I like biblical names...the masculine ones anyway. If I ever have a child, I'd prefer a boy and I'd probably name him Matthew, Mason...something like that.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Ya my name has nuttin to do

Ya my name has nuttin to do with the bible.

DOUGLAS

Usage: Scottish, English

Pronounced: DUG-lus [key]

Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhghlas, which meant "dark river" or "blood river" from Gaelic dubh "dark" and glais "water, river". Douglas was originally a river name, the site of a particularly bloody battle, which then became a Scottish surname. The surname belonged to a powerful line of Scottish earls.

WILLIAM

Pronounced: WIL-ee-am, WIL-yam [key]

From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection". The name was introduced to Britain by the Normans. It has belonged to several rulers of England, Prussia, and Germany, including William the Conqueror, the first Norman king of England. Other famous bearers were Willian Wallace, a 13th-century Scottish hero, and William Tell, a legendary 14th-century Swiss hero. In the literary world it has been borne by dramatist William Shakespeare and poet William Blake, as well as contemporary authors William Faulkner and William S. Burroughs.

So...The Blood river will desire protection?

My last name is not in the data base but i know it was once one of the great Lords of Germany and that Some of your high ranking Generals in Germany under hitler had the name. Im not proud of that last part but i know it to be true.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
VASTET was not found in

VASTET was not found in this database.

Mua ha ha.

Daniel however I'm sure can be found, though I care little about the theistic interpretation.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
The name on my birth

The name on my birth certificate is Billy. That site pretty much just links to William when you enter Billy. I was named after a Southern Baptist herder who preached at the same church I grew up going to.

lypslykemorphyne
User is offlineOffline
TARA (1) Gender:

TARA (1)

Pronounced: TAHR-a, TER-a   [key]

Anglicized form of the Irish place name Teamhair, which possibly means "elevated place" in Gaelic. This was the name of the sacred hill near Dublin where the Irish high kings resided. Tara was also used as the name of the O'Hara plantation in the novel and movie 'Gone with the Wind'.

TARA (2)

Usage: Indian, Hindu Mythology

Means "star" in Sanskrit. In Hindu and Buddhist mythology Tara was an astral goddess, the wife of Brihaspati.

and... so... uh... there you have it!  Didn't get a Christian meaning, but I got a Gaelic one *and* a Buddhist one.  So worship me-- I'm the goddess of love, beotch. 

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
neon wrote: I was born May

neon wrote:
I was born May 1st, and May is one of the two months Catholics dedicate to Mary. The other is October.

Only two? It always seemed as if they were dedicating twelve months to her!

BRIAN

The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Heh, I posted a similar

Heh, I posted a similar thread on the FTT forum.

Quote:
Nur

Means "light", derived from Arabic nawara "to illuminate".

And my prefix Her- is a variation of a North Indian prefix that means 'God'. 

So my name could be taken to mean "light of God". Laughing out loud

bezdomnii
User is offlineOffline
Daniel in hebrew: "God is

Daniel in hebrew: "God is my judge"

I'm in big trouble..

qbg
User is offlineOffline
BRIAN Gender:
BRIAN

Now I also have a something from when I was born that says:

Brian

"STRONG IN VIRTUE"

A wise man is strong, yea, a man of knowledge insreaseth strength --Proverbs 24:5

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
bezdomnii wrote: Daniel in

bezdomnii wrote:

Daniel in hebrew: "God is my judge"

I'm in big trouble..

Wait, there's a loophole.

"Judge not lest you be judged"

God Judges Daniel, Daniel Judges God. Daniel Executes God.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
My name has been a family

My name has been a family name really and my parents aren't really theists, but they did give into pressure from family to have me baptized and a few other things like that. I still have the crusifix I got from them.

Behind the Name wrote:
From the Greek name Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. Another Saint Stephen is the patron saint of Hungary, the first Christian king of that country (10th century). As well, this was the name of kings of England, Serbia, and Poland and ten popes. More recently it is borne by the British physicist Stephen Hawking and the American author Stephen King.

I didn't think it had any connection to christianity I guess it does. Well I like the last two Stephens, but I'm not getting stoned in anyones name nor am I going to be a saint let alone a pope... Maybe the king of England :P