How do I stop being a weak Athiest???

Brandon
Brandon's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do I stop being a weak Athiest???

Hey Everyone-

I think some people here, if not all, can understand where I am coming from. I now know that I have been conditioned to fear hell. It has trully been a fear of mine for sometime. My biggest fear is death. I honestly lay awake at night and ponder whats next. My gut instinct says nothing is after death. Live life to the fullest!! My conditioned brain tells me that if you just try to believe in God, you might go to heaven. I kick myself for this. I have never been a coward except when it comes to sticking up to my own self. How did some you come to grips with this truth? It is hard for me. Maybe I could get some advice. I know, realizing the truth is different for everyone. Did anyone else feel alienated from the rest of your family? My family doesn't know that I lost faith in the untruths of man. I am scared to tell them. I don't care what anyone says. I think a families love and acceptance is greatest thing we have going in this short life. I know some will say that if they are christians and your family then they should love you anyway. It still hurts to be rejected. I might have a problem with the whole god thing but I do believe in feelings.. Thanks for any help I can get!!

Brandon

"We never respect stupidity in our society unless it is Religious Stupidity." -Sam Harris

gregfl
User is offlineOffline
Brandon wrote:Hey

Brandon wrote:
Hey Everyone-

I think some people here, if not all, can understand where I am coming from. I now know that I have been conditioned to fear hell. It has trully been a fear of mine for sometime. My biggest fear is death. I honestly lay awake at night and ponder whats next. My gut instinct says nothing is after death. Live life to the fullest!! My conditioned brain tells me that if you just try to believe in God, you might go to heaven. I kick myself for this. I have never been a coward except when it comes to sticking up to my own self. How did some you come to grips with this truth? It is hard for me. Maybe I could get some advice. I know, realizing the truth is different for everyone. Did anyone else feel alienated from the rest of your family? My family doesn't know that I lost faith in the untruths of man. I am scared to tell them. I don't care what anyone says. I think a families love and acceptance is greatest thing we have going in this short life. I know some will say that if they are christians and your family then they should love you anyway. It still hurts to be rejected. I might have a problem with the whole god thing but I do believe in feelings.. Thanks for any help I can get!!

Brandon

Being an atheist isn't hard, brandon, because you really can't control what you believe.

Being honest in a world of judgemental christians IS hard, and takes integrity and commitment to a principal, that you are going to be you regardless of what others think.

Not

so

easy.

One more thing. You are not describing "weak atheism". You are describing an atheist that is being weak and not asserting himself. Two very different things. If you need an explanation one will be forthcoming.

In any event, if you fear hell, you are not really an atheist. You cannot fear something you don't believe in. Fearing death is normal, but fearing hell is a sign that you still believe the religion of your youth.

Think about that.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
A possibility of a god does

A possibility of a god does not prove a god so if you really have to be concerned about think about like bigfoot, fairies, or santa. Although you can say some god ideas can’t logically exist.

It kind of sounds like you are falling into the trap of thinking "belief" just incase is really going to do something.

I came to the realization by looking into religions to see what all the fuss was about, I wasn't raised to believe in something or not believe in something. With that I didn't have to deal with family (mom, dad, sister) freaking out. However I may have to deal with extend family when they figure it out.

As far a telling them I would go about as a response to them and deal with it as it comes up. Like so they want you to pray, don't pray if you don't feel like it. Maybe if someone says something like, "Damn atheists trying to kill christmas and take over the world by saying happy holidays while eat babes!!!" speak up.

gregfl
User is offlineOffline
As far as 'telling your

As far as 'telling your family'.

You really have two options, and neither are good.

1) tell your family and suffer their judgement and 'concern'. Explain yourself to the point where certain subjects with them (religion) will become taboo.

2) Live a lie. Discount your beliefs to the point where you feel that your value is so low that you have to present an alternative version of yourself in order to fit in with your loved ones.

Good luck. I would suggest # 1, but it is your call.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brandon wrote:Hey

Brandon wrote:
Hey Everyone-

Brandon

Brandon, I can relate to you in regards to the family thing. First thing, you seem to be struggling with "Pascal's Wager", I'd read up on it and it might help quell your fears. In regards to family, I understand completely. Right now I am for the most part a closet Atheist. Besides my wife knowing and some hints I've thrown at my mom, my family has no clue I am an Atheist. It's been a long process for me and a deeply personal one.

I feel the same fear of rejection as you do. I am close to alot of my in laws, especially one of my brother in laws and his wife. I remember one day him talking about not buying anything relating to Harry Potter, when my wife asked why he told her he doesn't support Atheist. This sentiment was also agreed by another brother in law during the conversation. It really hurt me, I'm thought about comming out right there but was not sure if the response would tear us apart or let him understand more about Atheism.

In conversations about God I just nod my head and keep mostly quiet, even though inside I object to alot of what is being expoused. I am afraid that by comming out people will think I am evil or that by even talking about it , I am being an agent of evil. If I am to give my arguments against the bible that creeps any doubt into my family, they might think that I am a negative influence to shun. So as of this point I am keeping it personal until I feel the time is right to tell everyone.

Inside I know if they truly love you, that it should not matter. However I choose for now to avoid that drama of finding out who is really on your side. For the meantime I educate myself as much as possible on the subject, for when the time does arise to disclose my lack of belief, I want to make sure I am as informative as possible. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck on.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Death is nothing, it's how

Death is nothing, it's how we die that gets me. I know so many young people that are gone now. My sister (19) and brother (30) among them. I try to live life to the fullest. I get anxiety real bad when I know I should be doing something that I'm not. Living is the hard part, I tell ya! Any advice I can give though would be to really live. Sounds like nothing new. But for me I didn't realize what this meant until I lost my sister. My first real confrontation with death.
After my sister passed it tore my family apart. I haven't seen them since the funeral 14 years ago. We talk on the phone and write letters. I told them that I don't believe in God anymore. They think it's because He let me down, but really it's just that I felt silly when I was in mourning thinking she was sitting in a cloud or some crap like that. (But also, because I always questioned a deity that wouldn't let animals go to heaven). But otherwise my family still say they love me. They are still Christian and pray and think it helps to do so. There is no less love for me though. I wouldn't worry about losing your family because you are you and they love you, right.