What's the story with your screen name?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
What's the story with your screen name?

I saw this question on another site and thought it would be interesting here. Mine is simply the mascot of the band The Accused. I wanted to use her because she's not a pretty pushover.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
My name is from a line in the song "Bus To Beelzebub" by the now defunct band Soul Coughing (some former members of which are old friends), and the avatar is Max from Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Thing Are" - best book ever.

Yeah, I always wondered where you got the name "Yellow Number Five" and the avatar from.

TheJollyNihilist
TheJollyNihilist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a Nihilist

I am a through-and-through Nihilist, and I just thought putting "The Jolly" in front of it would be amusing.

The road to truth is paved with evidence.

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
Mine is the title of a

Mine is the title of a lecture given by Herb Silverman. I am in the Bible Belt so it definetly doesn't mean I am in an atheist paradise. It means I wonder a lot.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote: Meh, mine is

noor wrote:
Meh, mine is simply my nickname. It's a short form of my real name.

Oh, I see.

So what's your real name? If you don't mind. Smiling

Noor
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

noor wrote:
Meh, mine is simply my nickname. It's a short form of my real name.

Oh, I see.

So what's your real name? If you don't mind. Smiling

It's Hernoor. Pretty unusual, I know. Smiling

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
I like it, actually. Thanks

I like it, actually. Thanks for sharing!

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Thanks.

Thanks. Smiling

Sekigahara
Sekigahara's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, in a nutshell my

Well, in a nutshell my screenname comes from the battle of Sekigahara, where Ieyasu Tokugawa fought against the armies loyal to Hideyori Toyotomi. This battle allowed Tokugawa to gain control as Shogun. My mother is Japanese, and since my adolescence I have always wanted to know more about Japan. The battle of Sekigahara was one of the first things I learned....

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Could be my

Could be my initials..

or..... Brian, God Himself

or..... Beliefless Good Human

or..... Born Godless Human

or..... it is actually my initials.

Just call me Brian or BGH 

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon is the name of my

Maragon is the name of my Night Elf Druid in World of Warcraft(anyone who laughs, I will moonfire you!)

I came up with it years ago, it's derived from a welsh version of my real name( which is Meagan -&gtEye-wink Margron which means 'pearl'. 

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
screen name...

iluvc2h5oh

C2H5OH is ethanol, whcih is the stuff that makes you drunk...

i love it....

It has that 80s Beastie Boys Attitude with just enough dorkiness.  Also kind of a way to see who else were the science majors...

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
My daughter's name is

My daughter's name is Isabella and I'm her father...plus I love early punk music so IzzyPop it is.

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I started using MrRage way

I started using MrRage way back in the day (i.e. a few years ago) on slashdot.org. I had meant to register as MrFurious -- who was a "superhero" on the movie Mystery Men whose secret power was he got really, really angry -- but I mistakenly remembered that character as Mr. Rage.

FYI, I'm really not an angry guy.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
I've had the screen name

I've had the screen name since over at the IG Forums, now AtheistForums. 

I loathe the show "American Idol".  It represents for for me of all that is wrong in this country.  A cheaply made television show that celebrates style over substance isn't new but I just think AI somehow breaks new ground in shallow superficiality.

Perhaps nobody cares about musicianship, creativity, poetry, originality or art anymore and they've been replaced by a Karaoke machine, fake music and a hairstylist.  A perfect representation of intellectual and creative laziness. 

It's just like the story of jesus !

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: Maragon is

Maragon wrote:

Maragon is the name of my Night Elf Druid in World of Warcraft(anyone who laughs, I will moonfire you!)

I came up with it years ago, it's derived from a welsh version of my real name( which is Meagan -&gtEye-wink Margron which means 'pearl'.

It's ok, mine is my hunter's name in WoW.  If you've played WoW you might know me as.  That one kid on the forums who got owned by his mother.

Wu
As a reminder to the Alliance and Horde the DFP and fellow Horde will be hitting the Alterac Valley area around 6:00 PM server time. Hope to see some great battles and have a wonderful time.

Wu – of The Dreadforge Pact

Lorilay
Go in for a second one! I've had these damned orc teeth in my backpack for 3 weeks now, and they're starting to smell.

Brion
ok i have a proposition for the horde, let us kill Korrak while you sit and watch. and well let you get all the honor youll ever want=}. no? ok well it shall be a great battle then, hope to see everyone there!

Rizzan

R.

Faydra
((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
Grounded.

[ post edited by Faydra ]

Bamont
OWNED! LOL!

Blackpatch
Best post ever.

Mepps
Are you going to take that from her, Brion? Mom nothing, she's only two levels up on you.

Krune
That was an owning of epic proportion! Bwahahahaha!

Next time I see Brion, even if he's flagged, I'm not gonna go after him. It's just gonna be:

/cast Grounding Totem
/rofl

smile.gif

Knot
Best thread ever.

Adrine
Bump for great hilarity.

Maggotface
I am so in love with Brion pwning mother!

HAR! Go to bed!

Isora
This is the best post of the day. Go Faydra!

Dax
Ouch. That mom sucks.

-_^

Cut him some slack lady =(

Faydra
Yeah, you won't be seeing Brion at Alterac Valley tonight...

I'm going to make him watch a movie with me instead. I'm thinking a real chick flick - Steel Magnolias or Moulin Rouge. smile.gif

Elianthe
*snicker* Ah, World of Warcraft. Bringing families together.

Also - Brion, you got so owned, I'm dying with laughter over here.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Inflictin
LOL...looks like Seth isn't the only one with his own PWNED thread.

Faydra, how about "Beaches" or "Fried Green Tomatoes"
Those should make him curl up in a ball and mutter incoherently for several months.

Cratos
Nerf moms. /laugh

Dax

I reccommend watching all dogs go to heaven.

Why I'm telling you this?  Mostly because it's 2:51 a.m. and I won't regret it until the morning...and I know my mother doesn't read this forum:P 

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Fuve

Yellow_Number_Fuve wrote:

My name is from a line in the song "Bus To Beelzebub" by the now defunct band Soul Coughing (some former members of which are old friends), and the avatar is Max from Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Thing Are" - best book ever.

LOL! My first thought was that your name was the code for Tartrazine, which, since your a chemical engineer, I always thought would be the first guess.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Mine goes back to Jr.

Mine goes back to Jr. High.  I was putting together a speech and got caught up reading this book.  It was talking about species that been extinct but no longer were considered extinct.  I found the idea neat and read more about the Tarpan.  Then I realized that it was genetically reproduced in the 1930's.  I was a bit shocked at the time that people in the 30's were messing with this type of genetic manipulation.  I read more and more about it and ended up doing a speech on the topic of figurative Tarpan figure that acted as a god-like figuring stomping through historical events as the main figure (sort of like a forest gump type idea).  People found the speech entertaining and those that didn't know me started referring to me as "the Tarpan guy".

This just kinda stuck with me a bit at school.  When Magic: The Gathering came out with a Tarpan card in their Ice Ages set I naturally adopted this as my mascot.

Well...ages later and I still have the nickname.  I use it in person and am even known by the monicker by people I work with as well as friends.

MORE: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/tarpan/

"A good Tarpan will serve you faithful and true, a bad one will kick you in the head." 

Klarky
Klarky's picture
User is offlineOffline
The full version of my

The full version of my nick, which I've had since the mid 90's is

"Klarky Khatt"

This video explains the origin, from one of my comedy hero's Chris Morris:

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh my god, you're a

Oh my god, you're a LEGEND!

K, I only laughed at you.....a little. Smiling

Negative Plethora
User is offlineOffline
I like oxymorons & thought

I like oxymorons & thought it sounded cool.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
My name comes from

My name comes from something around 6 years ago.

A game called Tibia. Me and a few freinds used to play, one day when a new server came out we made a character called zuzick to share. We would take 5 hour shifts, so the character stayed on 24/7 and became the highest level of the server. Well time passed, and the character got hunted and killed off. When a newer server came out, we needed a family name. So we took zuzick, and put it backwords. Kcizuz. Although it was quite stupid looking, so we tryed K'cizuz. We finally aggreed on Cizuz, after coming up with what it means. Cizuz is actually 5 different words, although we never tell anyone outright what they mean. So we made characters using our rl names and Cizuz on tibia. After awhile we became the strongest family on the server, but eventually quit. Now me and a few others still use the name on various games and forums, easy way to identify each other. Although what C.I.Z.U.Z. stands for I can't say, it's a way to make sure the other person was actually part of the family if they can tell me what it means. I still use the name for every forum, or game I go on.

Well, dumb story, but thats where James Cizuz comes from. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I started calling myself

I started calling myself gauche on another political forum because gauche means left in french a gauchiste is a leftist. I’m not even really that liberal, although I find conservative ideology somewhat repellent. I also found it amusing that in english it means rude or lacking social graces.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pariah is a social outcast

Pariah is a social outcast and I used Jane as in Jane Doe.  An un-identified person of sorts.  I just liked the way it sounded and  I figured it was somewhat suitable for an atheist forum, since atheism isn't exactly accepted.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
My name is years old and a

My name is years old and a bit of a stretch, I guess the only reason I haven't changed it is because once you get things going under one name, it's a pain in the ass to switch it.

Anyway, here's the breakdown (in my at-the-time 17 year old mind):

Everyone knows the oracles on Delphi. Well you would also know that an oracle is someone who sees into the future. A raven in a lot of mythology is a bird of change. So if you put them together it's forseeing change, futuristic change, forever changing etc.

Basically built on the concept that the only constant is change.

It doesn't make sense.. I guess it did to me at the time. Eh.. whatever.

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Discworld.   'Nuff

Discworld.

'Nuff said. 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had a bunch of names

I had a bunch of names before, and I still have some. Anyway, people always asked me "asl plz" or whatever on all chatrooms. The next was always your name, at least where I went. I got annoyed with it, so I decided to use BenfromCanada. Canada took care of the "L", Ben took care of "S" and my name.
Of course, I got a bunch of dumb fuckers saying "where are you from BenfromCanada". That got an instant block.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe they wanted to know

maybe they wanted to know which province.

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
My roomie and I were filling

My roomie and I were filling out a prank application to the terrifying Christian "college" Hyles-Anderson, and my name actually is Nikki. So for the "nickname" question, we wrote "my pimp calls me Tricky Nikki," and that has been a nickname my roomie has called me ever since, hence the username.  

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

Discworld.

'Nuff said.

There can never be enough said about Discworld. I considered Dorfl for this site.

{Edited to fix verb tenses}

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I signed up for this

When I signed up for this site, I couldn't think of a name.  My ITunes were playing in the background on my computer, and the song that was playing was Roisin Dubh(Legend of the Black Rose) by Thin Lizzy.  So, lacking any other creative inspiration, I plugged it in.  As for the avatar, it's a picture that I swiped from a friend's MySpace page.  I am not one of the people in the picture, and I don't know who any of them are.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta is my first name and

Arletta is my first name and since it's so uncommon I can usually get it without anything extra, though not always.  If Arletta is taken, then I usually add a Q at the end, which is the first letter of my last name.  ArlettaQ is never taken.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

BGH wrote:

Could be my initials..

or..... Brian, God Himself

or..... Beliefless Good Human

or..... Born Godless Human

or..... it is actually my initials.

or..... Burger: Grilled & Homemade

or..... Bathroom Glory Hole

or..... Big Gun Hunter

or..... Black Grave Horror

or..... Bill Gates Homeboy

or..... Big Gay Homo

These things are fun! Laughing out loud

My name, well I made it for my handle for the game Black & White, and for forums in relation to the game, it was the first time I was involved with forums and the people I knew, knew me by that name, it stuck, though it is no longer my gaming handle. What ever was my current handle developed in some way or another upon the previous, all I remember is that the first name I ever had online was Fightbob, and that was on Diablo, I cant remember the full line of progression, missing links. Oh, and I intended it to be an oxymoron. Smiling

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

This is going to make me sound like a total geek, but I originally thought your name was from the Ace combat 4. The main antagonists in the plot is a legendary fighter pilot with the number 5 (or was it 13 now that i think of it?) that commanded a squadron called the "Yellow squadron" ..... >.>

I just came up with my name b/c my favorite period in history is the middle ages. I've been doing medieval living history since I was 12. I also built my first trebuchet when I was 12. It took me 3 years, but I built myself a transitional period suit of armor. (1300's-1400's)  For my senior prank I wore the entire suit to school on the last day.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: maybe they

Gauche wrote:
maybe they wanted to know which province.
Most internet users are not in Canada, and only those who live in Canada ever give a damn about that.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I enjoy word plays, and

I enjoy word plays, and since I'm on a quest, a "search" for knowledge, I came up with...dassercha: "the searcher" if you will.  

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

AReasonableLu
AReasonableLu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it comes from the book

Well it comes from the book A Reasonable Life, which happens to be one of my favorites.  My nickname is Lu.  There you have it.  I usually go by LuSlunce which is based on my English nickname (Lu) plus my Czech nickname (Slunicka).  I like to switch it up depending on where I am.

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”
-Christopher Hitchens

"I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of Him."
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead wrote: I

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:
I saw this question on another site and thought it would be interesting here. Mine is simply the mascot of the band The Accused. I wanted to use her because she's not a pretty pushover.

It's my actual name. i.e. the one on my birth certificate and that I wasn't Christened with.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
<--- NAS CD

<--- NAS CD

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good CD there.

Mine?

I actually don't know...

Someone, quick!  Make up a story for me! 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination

xamination wrote:

Good CD there.

Mine?

I actually don't know...

Someone, quick!  Make up a story for me! 

As an atheist you had the smarts and logical thinking to examine the lack of evidence to believe in bullshit propagated by those with no scientifc knowelege to explain the once unknown,and refuse to use god as a fill in on what isnt always understood since it is just an easy cop out as an explanation.

Hows that for a story? 

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mine is simply a combining

Mine is simply a combining of the words Biological and Android. Nothing too deep there I liked the term and it was rarely used (if ever) when I started using it 12 years ago.

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugzog was originally Ugzog

Ugzog was originally Ugzog the Unruly, just too much to type. It pronounced ug as in ugly, and zog, like the sex wax. The name was granted to me on a night camping, while under the influence of Beast beer and illicit herb.            While trying to arrange my body between a tree and a rock, to successfully peeing into a creek without getting wet, I responded to the challenge by one of my fellow partakers, he challenged me to a feat of Herculean proportions, or a dare of incredible stupidity, only history will decide He argued that I could not pick up a dead tree lying across the ravine and carry it on my shoulder back to the campsite. So hence, upon the successful completion of this accomplishment, I earn the title based on the last words that shot from my lips when I drop the tree upon the ground…ugggg So ugzog roughly translates to, 'The unnatural use of strength, while in a chemical enhance state, to perform a task of great stupidity.' 

The lesson I would like to share with my fellow RRS, just because one can, doesn’t mean one should.

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn = the state of

Conn = the state of Connecticut, where I was born and currently live ... I like the old abbreviation, as opposed to CT

Brooklyn = where I've lived for the past 5 years or so

(though I just moved back to Conn. and couldn't be happier)

I haven't been in here a while (got a promotion at work which is stealing large portions of my space/time), anyone miss me?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote: I

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

I haven't been in here a while (got a promotion at work which is stealing large portions of my space/time), anyone miss me?

Of course we missed you!

Note:  I understand that stuff about the Day Job.  Sometimes it can really get in the way of what you want to do!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

Conn = the state of Connecticut, where I was born and currently live ... I like the old abbreviation, as opposed to CT

Brooklyn = where I've lived for the past 5 years or so

(though I just moved back to Conn. and couldn't be happier)

I was wondering what happened to you!  That's what I kind of figured though.  congrats on the promotion. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

gr8ness
gr8ness's picture
User is offlineOffline
for one to achieve gr8ness

for one to achieve gr8ness then one must believe that one's self can become great. enough said.

Open your mind to the truth and set your past views a blaze.

Know1Self
Know1Self's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrates said that the

Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living. So you could say he had but one commandment: Know thy self. But when I tried to get that screen name for various messengers, it wasn't available. So I stuck the "1" in place of "thy" (or for other screen names, in addition to it). I've also considered Buddhist philosophy and it's denial of a permanent self/soul and the thought of just one big universe of which we are all ever-changing parts. So there you have it.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
you and Susan are dears -

you and Susan are dears - thanks for the congrats.  I'm gonna try and get back on here as much as possible ... Also gonna try and take the mrs. to the AAI con this fall ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's the second part of my

It's the second part of my name.