Hangover-free Buzz: Star Trek's Synthehol Now Possible

kemod7
kemod7's picture
User is offlineOffline

Synthehol is a science-fictional substitute for alcohol that appears on the Star Trek:The Next Generation television series. It allows drinkers to experience all of the enjoyable, intoxicating effects of alcohol without unpleasant side-effects like hangovers.

Professor David Nutt, a psychopharmacologist at the University of Bristol in the UK, believes that there is no scientific reason why it cannot be created now.

Alcohol works in the brain mainly by latching onto signalling molecules called GABA-A receptors. There are dozens of subtypes of these; not all of them are associated with specific effects of alcohol. For example, memory loss may occur in conjuction with drinking because alcohol binds to alpha-5, a GABA-A receptor subtype in the hippocampus.

Professor Nutt suggests that if molecules that bind poorly to the bad subtypes like alpha-5 could be developed, it would be possible to retain the pleasant effects of alcohol without the bad side-effects.

Some "partial agonists" of GABA-A receptors already exist; bretazenil and pagoclone were developed as anti-anxiety drugs. These drug molecules are instantly reversible by the flumazenil, used as an antidote to overdoses of tranquillisers.

Perhaps most interesting is the idea that problems like cirrhosis of the liver could be eliminated by altering the composition of alcoholic beverages. Nutt will publish this idea in the Journal of Psychopharmacology next month.

Science-fictional-beverage enthusiasts should take a look at Programmable Soda, an amazing prediction by UK sf writer Jeff Noon. Roboticists with an interest in alcohol should read Methanol-Powered Robot Muscles - Bend It Like Bender. Laughing out loud

We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking,
if mankind is to survive.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I don't get hangovers anyway! Laughing out loud

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

if they make it cheap enough, this professor will become the savior of all college students

just image: posters of this guy plastered all over frat houses... finally an appreciation for science

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

I tell you the older you get the worse the hangovers...I will be a big supporter of this..hahaha.... rock on.. Science ROCKS

\m/ //--\\ \m/

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

What a great idea! All the pleasant effects and none of the bad... sign me up!

Quote:
Perhaps most interesting is the idea that problems like cirrhosis of the liver could be eliminated by altering the composition of alcoholic beverages.

YESSSS!

natto_the_sane
User is offlineOffline
Re: Hangover-free Buzz: Star Trek's Synthehol Now Possible

kemod7 wrote:
Professor David Nutt, a psychopharmacologist at the University of Bristol in the UK, believes that there is no scientific reason why it cannot be created now.

Go Nutt!

Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. ~ Virginia Woolf 1928.

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline

How ironic that today is a hangover day. I fully support this idea. In fact, it deserves government funding.

Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."
The Book Of Satan IV:3, The Satanic Bible