Hello! I'm back, but sober :)

politicalhumanist
politicalhumanist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello! I'm back, but sober :)

Hello folks,

This is Chad from http://tudorwebdesign.com . I get out of jail on the 25th (next Wednesday!) and am going to live a clean and sober life. I learned from my mistakes of using meth, crack, and alcohol.

So, you may asking yourself 'Did this guy go theist in jail?'? Hell no. I am still an athiest. Smiling

I ordered non-tracts from Freedom From Religion, and am leaving them amongst the bibles and bible study materials. Eye-wink

What am I going to do once I am released? Going to inpatient drug rehab, getting DSHS to front the bill (Thank you taxpayers!).

However, I will be homeless upon release. This is giving me anxiety, but I choose to remain optimistic.

Peace,

Chad

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
I get out on Wednesday!

I get out on Wednesday! Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Just don't fall for the

Just don't fall for the theist shit they usually put out in 12 step stuff. I used to work in a treatment facility.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
What crime did you commit?

What crime did you commit? Are you there because of the substance abuse or did you commit other offenses?

Did you get substance abuse counseling while in prision? If yes which method(s)?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
I am going to Providence St.

I am going to Providence St. Peter Chemical Dependency Center through DSHS (WA state welfare) DASA. Getting mental health from BHR.

I refuse to accept a 12 step program and believe in a god. Alternative programs exist in the secular world, but the closest meeting is in Seattle.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm doing some research on

I'm doing some research on the 12 step programs. So far, they appear to be so bogus:

The 12 Suggested Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

http://www.recovery.org/aa/misc/12steps.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-step_program

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Translation: There is

Translation:

There is something in my life that makes me feel like I need to escape from reality. I feel that I cannot stop myself from taking this escape. Therefore, I will substitute another escape hatch rather than examine the real heart of my problem.

AA is religion and religion is stupid.

Good for you for taking the high road and addressing dependency rationally. I wish you the best. Stay smart, stay free.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord wrote:What crime

Randalllord wrote:
What crime did you commit? Are you there because of the substance abuse or did you commit other offenses?

Did you get substance abuse counseling while in prision? If yes which method(s)?

The crime was 2nd Degree Assault (non-sexual) DV. I beat up my fundie stepdad after he pushed me twice and called be a dirty atheist.

I was in the county jail work release program for about 7 months. I have one year of probation, fines, DV treatment, and drug treatment to complete. The jail does have a substance abuse program, but I was not offered it. DSHS is fronting the bill for treatment.

Anyways, I am out now. Not planning on drinking or smoking crack.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
The religious minded people

The religious minded people that promote the 12 step programs believe that you are powerless to your addiction and must ask for help from your invisble sky daddy. What's so disgusting is that health insurance companies are being charged for this church service.

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord wrote:The

Randalllord wrote:
The religious minded people that promote the 12 step programs believe that you are powerless to your addiction and must ask for help from your invisble sky daddy. What's so disgusting is that health insurance companies are being charged for this church service.

The closest Life Ring meeting is in the University District in Seattle. Life Ring is non-religious recovery meetings. I have an assessment at a drug rehab on Wednesday thanks to DSHS - thank you tax payers! Smiling

Jussi K. Niemelä
Jussi K. Niemelä's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just keep strong man! I used

Just keep strong man! I used to be a heavy drinker back in the 80s and also did some hash & grass puffin' & pills in the 90s. Been sober now for over ten years without any hocus-pocus stuff. I just decided to quit and did it. The same goes with smoking - been free of nicotine addiction now for eight years. You don't need any sky-daddies or metaphysics to quit foolin' around, just guts and a goal. You already have a valuable goal - fightin' religious nonsense. Good luck with the rehab!

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some people have what it

Some people have what it takes to quit by being firm in their decision to quit. Some need the support of their fellow humans. No one needs an invisible sky daddy, though some think they do. This is the problem I have with the 12 step programs. If they would just realize that what make the program work is the support they get from their fellow humans.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
When where I work used to be

When where I work used to be a treatment facility I read the AA and NA books. They actually have a chapter called "We Agnostics." What it basically says is "for now" you can use the group itself as you higher power, but once you mature you will start to believe in God. What Gall! I guess they never thought a way to work with people that are strongly against believing in any particular superstition.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:When where

MattShizzle wrote:
When where I work used to be a treatment facility I read the AA and NA books. They actually have a chapter called "We Agnostics." What it basically says is "for now" you can use the group itself as you higher power, but once you mature you will start to believe in God. What Gall! I guess they never thought a way to work with people that are strongly against believing in any particular superstition.

The local AA club has a meeting today called "We Agnostics". I'll check it out, announce Richard Dawkins new book, and make a firm statement for atheism.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Be well, PH. Glad to see

Be well, PH.

Glad to see you're starting to get a grip on things.

Wish I could give advice. You'll just have to settle for my good wishes. Smiling.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
Well, I found a place for a

Well, I found a place for a safe and dry camp site in the woods. Located under evergreen trees, dry wood for campfires and cooking, near to SPSCC and bus stops for easy access to services.

Saw my probation officer today and he's impressed with my level of intellect and trusts me to come in every week. Most homeless are made to come in daily. Told me to 'find a permanent camp site'.

Thank you for the sentiments and encouragement! Peace Cool

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jussi K. Niemelä

Jussi K. Niemelä wrote:

Just keep strong man! I used to be a heavy drinker back in the 80s and also did some hash & grass puffin' & pills in the 90s. Been sober now for over ten years without any hocus-pocus stuff. I just decided to quit and did it. The same goes with smoking - been free of nicotine addiction now for eight years. You don't need any sky-daddies or metaphysics to quit foolin' around, just guts and a goal. You already have a valuable goal - fightin' religious nonsense. Good luck with the rehab!

I read in the newspaper today that alcohol is the #1 cause of death of men in Finland (even surpassing heart trouble), and #2 cause of death of women (0.1 % behind breast cancer). They said it was due to lower alcohol taxes and raised import quotas. What is your perspective on this?

politicalhumanist
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Jussi K. Niemelä

KSMB wrote:
Jussi K. Niemelä wrote:

I read in the newspaper today that alcohol is the #1 cause of death of men in Finland (even surpassing heart trouble), and #2 cause of death of women (0.1 % behind breast cancer). They said it was due to lower alcohol taxes and raised import quotas. What is your perspective on this?

Alcohol is the worst drug on the market. It's easier to kick heroin, meth, or cocaine than alcohol.