Mr. Christian Customer and angry theists

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Christian Customer and angry theists

So this is my first topic posting......
This month has not been good......argument wise.
I used to be an avowed atheist, and when challenged, I would tell theists in NO uncertain terms they believed in fairy tales.....
However, I got tired. I got SO sick of what people said, when they asked me what religion I was, and I told them, "atheist". The hostility, the scorn, the pity and the INFINITE endless same old stupid arguments. I couldn't DO it anymore. I hung up my "atheist badge" and just told ppl i was "nonreligious" for a few years there to avoid the shitstorm.

But last "christmas", I wished my mother's coworker a "happy holidays". Because she seemed like a sweet lady and I was just on my way out......I (of COURSE) accept christmas well-wishing from people, but I don't feel comfortable actually wishing someone else a merry christmas since I don't believe in the Jesus birthday thing. But the woman WENT OFF. Started screaming about how she "Can wish people a MERRY CHRISTMAS cause that's what it IS, and noone's gonna push down her rights, etc. (you've all heard it before)"......
I scampered out of the office feeling awful. I only wanted to spread some holiday cheer, but instead i got FURY.
After that, I felt really bad that I'd upset her somehow, and made up all these reasons why she must have been having a bad day, or something.
Until I realized, "Wait. I didn't do anything bad. I just don't believe in her god. I didn't do a SINGLE thing wrong, and she was the one who was a jerk. And yet, she's playing the victim."
That's when I started identifying as "atheist" again. Because if some theists have the "right" to be total dinks and shit all over everyone's lives, then so do I.
This anti-atheist backlash as I call it tapered off, and while I've met religious people here and there, noone has screwed with me. So I'm tolerant and sweet. But THIS month? Oh, read on.

Fetish Jew

Standing in line for a fetish club I go to regularly, I was introduced to a young man I'll call Clarence. He was dressed as a vampire, teeth and all, with leather gauntlets and shoulder guards. He looked every bit the Christian Rights definition of "problem goth teen". But, since I fit that description too, I can't say much.
He seemed nice, so we were all chatting on and off.
A few friends lit up and started smoking, some people marijuana, some cigarettes. He coughed obviously and stepped onto the other side of the lineup. We all felt like jerks, cause some people don't like cigarette/pot smoke. Some people butted out, and some just moved away. We apologized to the guy, and 2 of my friends who are the meekest girls EVER, felt so bad.
He said, "Oh sorry, you guys, It's just that I'm Jewish and I can't have any drugs in my body. This is even pushing it." He pointed to his earring.
"I'm not allowed to make any marks upon my body like tattoos or pierce my flesh. Sorry, you guys, I hope I didn't make anyone angry."
I patted his back and assured him, "No, it's ok, we understand. I work with a Mormon guy and he can't drink at work events....so I do understand."
Clarence gets this disdainful snotty look on his face, and says, "A mormon!? Man, I feel sorry for him."
Now, I adore my coworker. He is incredibly cool and sweet. And he's happy. So, at this point I'm a little offended for him.
I reply, "Well, you shouldn't. He's happy."
Clarence replies in a dismissive tone, "Man, some religions are so weird."
Cut to my face, completely fucking FLOORED. I can no longer bite my tongue. I say, "SOME religions!?"
He looks up, with an angry look on his face, "Well, what are YOU?"
Me: "What am I what?"
Clarence: "What religion are you?"
Me: "I'm nothing. I don't believe in anything."
Clarence: "That's dumb. Everyone is SOMETHING! What ARE you?"
Me: "An atheist. I don't believe in any gods. I'm not anyhing."
Clarence : (sighs, exasperated) Well, you can't be NOTHING. What were your parents? That's what you are."
Me: "My parents raised me without religion."
Clarence: "Well, I'm sure they had a religion, they just didn't tell you."
Me: "No, I'm pretty sure they didn't believe in anything."
Clarence: "Well, then you're a second generation agnostic?"
Me: "No, I don't wonder if there ARE gods, I don't believe in them."
Clarence: (no he still hasn't GIVEN up)"Well, everyone's SOMETHING. What are your grandparents?"
Me: "Um, I dunno, they never said anything about god."
Clarence: (quite fed up by now with my apparent stupidity)"Well, if you go back far enough then someone in your family is SOMETHING and that's what you are."
Then his friend turned around and said to him, "HEY, I told you no religious or political discussions at the club."
Thank goodness.

So I was completely flabbergasted by this guys' inability to grasp my lack of belief. He just didn't GET it. He was SO insistent that EVERYONE IS SOMETHING. He kept repeating it over and over with a desperate note in his voice. Like I was being deliberately obtuse or something. He was SO disdainful of Mormons, yet couldn't see the hypocrisy and weirdness in his own religion.

And then when we got in the club he tried to unbutton my shirt. Like, REALLY tried. So much for Judeo-Christian values....
Moral of the story is: "Everyone is something, sometimes that something is a jerk."

Mr. Christian Customer

My boyfriend got yelled at by a Xtian today at work.
My boyfriends name is Dave, he is a strong atheist(born and raised) and he works at a large Canadian bookstore. While he was cleaning the Religion/Occult/New Age section a man asked him for help with the christian books. So dave was polite and helpful, suggested a few popular authors. He was looking for a book by "some sleazy religious writer who looks like a used car salesman", in Dave's words. But the guy kept asking if Dave had read the author, and what other books in this section he'd read. Dave mentioned some books he'd read in his Comparative Theology and Philosophy/Religion classes in university.....(taught by an atheist professor incidentally)
Dave brought up the Gnostic Gospels and the Manichean Texts.......
The guy had NO IDEA what they even were. He obviously had heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls, as he made a "pfft" noise and rolled his eyes.

Then the guy started asking which bible was Dave's favourite.....
Dave has been doing customer service for a long time now, so he knows how to be polite and steer the conversation away. But this guy WILL NOT let it go. Dave says, "Well, I don't like a lot of the translated bibles, they've all been filtered."
The guy says, "Well, what church do you attend?"
Dave sighed, at this point he's getting ticked off."
Dave: "I dont belong to a church."
Mr.CC: "Well, what faith are you?"
Dave: "I'm an atheist."
Mr. CC: "Youuu....what? You mean you haven't...decided what faith you are?"
Dave: "No, I'm an atheist, I don't believe in god."
Mr: CC: "B-but you said you'd studied religion! How can you not believe in it?"
Dave: "I did. I was raised atheist but reading the bible and studying different theologies merely confirmed the fact that there aren't any supernatural forces. All the arguments for god broke down, and the more i studied it the more I realized my beliefs were ENTIRELY rational. Belief in god doesnt make any sense. It just feels wrong, and logically, it just doesn't work."
Mr: CC: "B-but, but...(getting angry now) are you saying that MILLIONS of people for THOUSANDS of years are WRONG!?
Dave: Well, yeah.
Mr. CC: (totally pissed off)You are completely arrogant and presumptuous.
Then he stomped out of the store furiously.
Dave's expecting a negative comment card from the guy....*rolls eyes*

Moral to this story: "The customer is always right, except when he's a xtian jerk and tears apart employees belief systems and lack thereof."

Here is Dave's myspace. He says feel free to add him.
http://www.myspace.com/ddking

Conclusion

Theists are allowed to push and prod our beliefs out of us, and when we finally admit that we don't believe in anything, they go into attack mode. If we speak out and say they're wrong, then WE are being bigoted and intolerant. I feel worse for David too, because he HAD to put up with it. I worked at the same store for 4 years and "customer service" is just another word for paid doormat.
Anyone else get this kind of treatment?
Is anyone halfway out of the "atheist closet" because they're unwilling to deal with crap like this?

Thanks for listenin.
Hope my first post wasn't too long and boring...
^_^

~Kat

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
It wasn't borning all,

It wasn't borning all, welcome to the boards!

Yeah, I haven't had any interactions with strangers yet, but the reactions of my Christian friends were horrible. On the old forum I posted a problem I was having with a girl I consider my best friend in the world.

I'm actually looking forward to meeting a stranger who gets angry over my atheism, I'm too nice of a guy to argue with my close friends too much when things turn angry, but I have no qualms about arguing against the irrational beliefs of ignorant strangers. =)

Once again, welcome!

-Trey

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree. I want more

I agree. I want more christians to get angry and start arguing with me. To achieve this, I wear a t-shirt which says "TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO WORSHIP SATAN" to get them going. So far the only verbal reaction I got was an 8-year-old who asked her mom "Mommy, what's satan?"

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I too enjoyed reading your

I too enjoyed reading your accounts of interactions with xians.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for posting that...It

Thanks for posting that...It was indeed entertaining, yet sad. This is examplary of how closed minded and bigoted xtians are. It is amazing that the level of brainwashed has reached such intolerable and ignorant levels.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I have 2 freethought shirts

I have 2 freethought shirts from this site, and one from the Freedom From Religion Foundation - it has a caricature of Bush and says "Best Evidence Against Intelligent Design."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

spentley
User is offlineOffline
Interesting! Whenever I get

Interesting!

Whenever I get the chance.. and the opportunity is there, I like to argue with strangers with a weird(altered) perception.

I completely ignore the fact I've ever heard of jesus. I act like the other person has lost their marbles... I ask them simple questions that they can't answer or else it pisses them off to give me the actual correct answer.

I also act dumbfounded by the idea of "god", and whoever must have thought of the idea must be a nutcase. This one is fun, because there are soooo many simple questions that you can ask religious people that either again, piss them off... or don't want to answer.

I reamain completely patient and play dum.. as well keep acting like this is the first time I've ever talked about the matter.

But ya, thats my method of making a conversation with an ignorant juedo-christian... very very short. Saves time, gets the point across, critisizes religion... all good.

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
spentley

spentley wrote:
Interesting!

Whenever I get the chance.. and the opportunity is there, I like to argue with strangers with a weird(altered) perception.

I completely ignore the fact I've ever heard of jesus. I act like the other person has lost their marbles... I ask them simple questions that they can't answer or else it pisses them off to give me the actual correct answer.

I also act dumbfounded by the idea of "god", and whoever must have thought of the idea must be a nutcase. This one is fun, because there are soooo many simple questions that you can ask religious people that either again, piss them off... or don't want to answer.

I reamain completely patient and play dum.. as well keep acting like this is the first time I've ever talked about the matter.

But ya, thats my method of making a conversation with an ignorant juedo-christian... very very short. Saves time, gets the point across, critisizes religion... all good.

Hahahah, that is the BEST thing I've ever heard. I'm going to try that next time, it sounds fun. Laughing out loud
And pretty inoffensive too....The only problem I forsee is theists thinking, "Ooooh, fresh meat! Ripe for conversion!"
LOL, little do they know what they're getting into.....

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I haven't come across many

I haven't come across many people who have a problem with people being atheist in the real world. Although its not something that comes up often and most of the people who even begin the convo are just confused. By that I mean they don't understand people can live without religion or even hear of someone. Also most of my interactions were at school with younger people so most didn't have much of an opinion or even thought about. Uh this won't last long though as I'm in a philosophy class and I know religion is going to come up in history and english.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
spentley, I do something

spentley,
I do something very similar. difference here is that you go just one little step further. I admit to knowing about jesus and god and the holy spirt, but not much more.
Full of respect "yes sir" "no sir" hehe
just simple little questions.
I wonder if you have some ideas, as "the sins of the father are visited on the son" and the sin of eve causing terrible birthing pains, are getting old.

Yeah I'm kinda big on the ethics of god, without getting to complicated. Favorite phrases in this town are "god works in mysterious ways" and "lets pray"

Head Bash

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In all the battling, I would

In all the battling, I would never suggest taking any guff from theists. But at the same time we dont need to feed the stereotypes either.

Christians demonize atheist by associating the fact that we are with lack of goodness because the bad guy (satan) is pulling our strings.

I do like the good cop bad cop cenerio and each has its time and place. But if you are an atheist you dont believe in satan either, so why would you want to feed that stereotype?

The theist is going to jump all over that, "You're just angrey at god"

I do understand your intent. I simply dont agree with the method.

I do wear atheist shirts and hats and do look for the conflict so I can face the theist with their unfounded pathetic bigotry. But "Satan" is a deity which I dont follow or see as real so wearing a shirt that says that would not be consistant with my position.

Just my opinion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:In all the

Brian37 wrote:
In all the battling, I would never suggest taking any guff from theists. But at the same time we dont need to feed the stereotypes either.

Christians demonize atheist by associating the fact that we are with lack of goodness because the bad guy (satan) is pulling our strings.

I do like the good cop bad cop cenerio and each has its time and place. But if you are an atheist you dont believe in satan either, so why would you want to feed that stereotype?

The theist is going to jump all over that, "You're just angrey at god"

I do understand your intent. I simply dont agree with the method.

I do wear atheist shirts and hats and do look for the conflict so I can face the theist with their unfounded pathetic bigotry. But "Satan" is a deity which I dont follow or see as real so wearing a shirt that says that would not be consistant with my position.

Just my opinion.

Not me, right? Um, cause I'm super non-confrontational. I hate arguments about ANYTHING. I'm more likely to smile and nod than I am to say what I really want to say. I've never told a theist what I really think. Not IRL, anyway. I'm working my way towards voicing my thoughts on it. I just hate bottling up the "You believe in a fairy tale!" comments that I feel on the tip of my tongue.