Catholics love pedaphiles

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Catholics love pedaphiles

This really sickens me.  It seems like some catholics are trying to stop a lifting of child sex abuse statute of limitations in some states so it can protect it's pedaphiles from justice.

How can anyone condone protecting child rapists?

Quote:

Retroactive Lifting of Statutes of Limitation: The TFP Rotests 

Some states are attempting to lift civil and criminal statutes of limitations retroactively for child sex abuse. Such measures would allow government to investigate decades-old cases and hold today’s 67 million Catholics responsible for damages. In light of this, the American TFP is vigorously protesting such legislative bills nationwide claiming the measures unfairly penalize Catholics in the pew and favor the agenda of dissident activists groups inside the Church.   

http://www.tfp.org/TFPForum/catholic_perspective/the_church_shall_prevail/index.html

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think their reasoning is

I think their reasoning is that since god forgives, so should they. Plus, its a greater evil for a priest to go to jail, he can save less souls there.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote:I think their

Zombie wrote:

I think their reasoning is that since god forgives, so should they. Plus, its a greater evil for a priest to go to jail, he can save less souls there.

Yet another reason to destroy the delusion of theism.  Grrrr....

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
I don't think that it's

I don't think that it's saving souls, per se.  Bear in mind that this sexual abuse has been going on for centuries, in numerous societies.  (That fact, however, did not stop Pope John Paul II from claiming that our immoral society "is corrupting my priests."  Anyway...)

The Vatican, sadly, takes the view that the public shaming of the Church is a greater evil than letting things like this go on.  Yes, you read that right.  (You see, if things like this get out, then people won't go to Confession--or so the Vatican thinks.  They seem to have zero faith in things turning out okay, once a given scandal is addressed.  So, they don't address it--they blame the larger society, television, etc., to maintain the image of the Church as a societas perfectas--literally, a perfect society.  (It's run by God, remember; to deny that the Church is a perfect society would be to deny God's perfection--or his running of the Church.)

Like you said, Watcher, "Yet another reason to destroy the delusion of theism."  You hit the nail on the head, there, buddy.

Conor

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
A very real problem with

A very real problem with some of these legislative initiatives (most notably in Colorado and Maryland) is that they set different standards for "public" and "private" institutions, or waive the statute of limitations in the case of private institutions and retain them for "public" ones.  Hence, Catholic diocese would be open to more lawsuits than public school systems (where, by the way, children are statistically at far greater risk of abuse).   Make the law apply across the board.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:A very real

totus_tuus wrote:

A very real problem with some of these legislative initiatives (most notably in Colorado and Maryland) is that they set different standards for "public" and "private" institutions, or waive the statute of limitations in the case of private institutions and retain them for "public" ones.  Hence, Catholic diocese would be open to more lawsuits than public school systems (where, by the way, children are statistically at far greater risk of abuse).   Make the law apply across the board.

Funny, I usually see the reverse.

The "Christian" or "church" schools are asking for relaxations of the current laws.

In Indiana, there was a move from Christians to get a law amended so that convicted sex offenders didn't have to inform their employers if they were going to work at a church school/day care (as long as they signed something that said Jesus forgave their sins and took that awful urge away from them). You'd think churches would want their kids to be more safe, not less.

Thankfully, that law didn't get changed and perps have to report their status no matter what.

The Christians are still plugging away at the law, though.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jcgadfly,That's truly a

Jcgadfly,

That's truly a shame.  I think we've exchanged views on this subject often enough that you know I abhor predators of all stripes.  Criminals should not be given the right to hide behind the facade of any organization.  I'm in favor of any agenda that seeks to punish those who use positions of trust as camoflage to allow then access to their prey.  But, all organizations guilty of harboring such cretin must be treated equally.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Fish
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:A very real

totus_tuus wrote:

What different standards are you talking about?  Which state applies statute of limitations differently to "private" and "public" institutions?

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Legislation was introduced

Legislation was introduced in both Colorado and Maryland that attempted to lift the statute of limitations on sex crimes committed by mebers of private organizations, but exempted public institutions from similar measures.

The Maryland legislation was introduced by Representative Eric Bromwell, that in Colorado by Representative Gwyn Green.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:Legislation

totus_tuus wrote:

Legislation was introduced in both Colorado and Maryland that attempted to lift the statute of limitations on sex crimes committed by mebers of private organizations, but exempted public institutions from similar measures.

What legislation are you talking about?  If you're referencing (proposed) House Bill 858 in Maryland, it wouldn't distinguish between "public" and "private" institutions.  I'm not sure what you might be talking about in regards to Colorado.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:The

totus_tuus wrote:

The Maryland legislation was introduced by Representative Eric Bromwell, that in Colorado by Representative Gwyn Green.

The current Colorado proposal (House Bill 1011) also doesn't distinguish between private and public entities.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Public institutions in

Public institutions in olorado would be covered under separate legislation, ie HB 1239.  Still researching the Maryland legislation.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:Public

totus_tuus wrote:

Public institutions in olorado would be covered under separate legislation, ie HB 1239.  Still researching the Maryland legislation.

HB 1239 does indeed remove the statute of limitations for actions arising out of failure of public institutions to perform background checks on people working with children.  HB 1011 would still remove the statute of limitations for actions arising from sexual assault on a child.

So, there is a heavier burden on public institutions than on private.  In order to have equal application of the law, and to provide full protection of children, shouldn't you be concerned that HB 1239 doesn't apply to private institutions?