Will RRS and others succeed?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline

Much as I admire individuals fighting against dogmatism, superstition, supernatural beliefs and who promote skepticism and reason, I am quite pessimistic. Despite the historical benchmarks which include the teachings of Democritus, Spinozism, the Enlightenment, Darwinism and many others, human irrationality is here to stay forever. Even philosophies which became authoritarian such as Marxism failed to eradicate theism and in fact tried to replace it with its dogmatic irrational beliefs. How will RRS succeed when the predecessors have failed? Human nature is deeply flawed with our innate average to below average IQs and xenophobic, ethnocentric, herd-like, leader worshipping mentalities. And short of altering our genetic code, Swiftian quarrels such as "my God is better than your God" or "Hutu must kill the inferior Tutsi" will IMO forever linger. Even well educated individuals will fly airplanes into skyscrapers because of adhering to some stupid dogma. Humans will always be irrational. I laud RRS, the 4 horsemen of atheism, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Steven Weinberg, the late Carl Sagan, Micheal Shermer and many others but I honestly don't think anyone will instigate a change in the collective consciousness. We live in a liberal Western democracy and despite hundreds of years of rationalism to back it up, the masses twice elected the most inept president in history. Christopher Hitchens to whom many (including RRS) sing praises, still lauds Bush for his stupidity over invading Iraq. I don't forsee a triumph of reason cause I don't see human nature evolving. On the bright side we will always enjoy eating and fucking. And at the moment when we're about to blow ourselves up, I hope either me or my descendents will be enjoying a great fuck after eating some great pasta.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
So what would you rather us

So what would you rather us do?  Nothing?

At least we are trying.  I find that much more commendable that just doing nothing about it.  Be pessimistic all you want.

I'm going down with a fight.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
We shall destroy it, or it

We shall destroy it, or it shall destroy us. For that reason, when debating, when the subject comes up that certain beliefs are innately good for humans to retain by virtue of that they make us happier, I do not dignify it with a response. I argue coldly and without consideration of whose happiness I wreck. It is the only way to argue. Irrational beliefs must be burned to the ground, regardless of how good they make us feel. Do you recall, I wonder, that quote from Martin Luther?

To be a Christian one must pluck the eye out of reason, reason must be blind, deluded, destroyed. Reason...never comes to the aid of spiritual things. 

I think...the first part of the quote is accurate, but if we are speaking of what is good for humanity, then I think my modification makes it more accurate:

For the continuity of civilization, one must pluck the eye out of unreason. Irrationality must be burned down, destroyed, eradicated. Irrationality...never comes to the aid of humanity.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    Will RRS and others

it already has

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote: I don't

ragdish wrote:
I don't forsee a triumph of reason cause I don't see human nature evolving.

I think the evolution of the brain will continue to produce more rational thinking and problem solving and replace the need for religion and a belief in invisible gods. The evolution of reason has been going on for centuries but in the age of advanced communication and especially the invention of the internet, the pace has greatly excellerated.

If it wasn't for the internet, I would still believe that an invisible god could read my thoughts and answer ( or not answer ) my prayers. Thanks to the advancement of modern technology, the wealth of information on the internet, and the influence of critical and rational thinking by others, I can now see the absurdity of that belief.

The advancement of science, technology, and rational thinking will eventually be the death of most religion. My guess is that by the end of this century in the United States, people who still hold onto religious beliefs and ancient myths will be a small minority.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   yeah, RickRebel ....

yeah, RickRebel

.... wish I could be around to see how far we will get, hey , after the "black hole" part comes what ! 

the amazing cosmos ............................ 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: We shall

deludedgod wrote:
We shall destroy it, or it shall destroy us.

I don't agree, I take the more pessemistic view that religion will be around for a long time yet, another 2000 years easily if mankind lasts that long.  After all there have been people who clearly saw the follies of religion and argued about its uselessness for at LEAST 2000 years if not longer - just look at Hypatia for one prime example. 

It's for this reason that I disagree with Kelly in her blog post about mankind not needing fairy tales.  Despite the many posts I made in that thread, none of them said this though.  Why?  Because it was derailed by theists WAY too quickly, I never got my chance to post my reply that was on topic to the OP.

The way I see it, even if an opportunity arose where we could start a society somewhere else and completely remove any mention of any gods or even fairy tales from the society from the word go (including general swearing), deistic and then theistic beliefs would find their way back within a few generations.  All that's needed is an area where a person or people lack understanding, and a little imagination which is something mankind has.  It wouldn't be any religions we know of today though.  It would be something competely new, but religion none the less. 

While many individuals have no need for fairy tales, there's still too many that do.  I don't see this as being something that can be weeded out of society.

All that being said,  it's still a fight that is well worth fighting.  Without resistance and constant pressure we'd face another dark ages.  The fact that mankind is continually progressing rather than hitting a brick wall as happened in the dark ages is proof that we've been winning, but there's still a long way to go.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   ... what comes after

... what comes after the black hole , where we are headed ? What was before this little big bang ?

ALL the rest of course ....

Eternal  ?  or not , who's worried  ??? 

Why fight ?  fix the tv ,

it's called evolution , in my dimension 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

it already has

Agreed. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   RRS = Evolution ,

RRS = Evolution , progress , as we want what we want for our selves and our kids and all we are

for this very moment

everyone to ride a sea doo, to have fun  

everyone to help everyone , right now

to be ONE , this is heaven NOW

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if RRS will

I don't know if RRS will succeed.  Edison didn't know if he would succeed at inventing the light bulb.  Einstein didn't know if he would succeed at discovering a coherent and accurate model of relativity.  The suffragists didn't know if they would succeed at gaining equal rights under the law. 

People on the underground railroad didn't know if they'd be arrested or not, but they still did what they knew was right.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't matter in the end if

Doesn't matter in the end if they convert other people or not, it is important to stand up for one's rights, especially in a society that is quite willing to take those rights away from non believers, just for the mere fact they don't believe in their god or in a god period. This is especially important if we are to uphold the belief of human rights, or just the rights endowed to us by our respective nations, or champion for change in nations which non believers can and are persecuted. If it wasn't worth it, if one didn't believe one could change, then nothing would change in this society of ours.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  destiny ?  , fuck

destiny ?  , fuck worrying about that

, how about NOW,

destiny will be what is,  I live now

, I am what I AM ,  NOW  

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote: Doesn't

latincanuck wrote:
Doesn't matter in the end if they convert other people or not...

While it might not matter, it is important to note that hundreds have admitted to it, and we think up to 100,000 people or more have either left religion or become much more moderate as a result of our actions.  (in 2 years)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
In a sense, groups like

In a sense, groups like RRS, Atheists United, etc., and individuals like Dennett, Harris and Dawkins, have already succeeded. They have brought us out of scattered and atomized apathy, if only to admit to ourselves how we view the world. Each of us is slightly emboldened by our awareness of each other; people we have yet to know about will be emboldened by learning of any of us. Just seeing Harris and Dawkins in mainstream interviews is what prompted me to do serious research into the nature of belief, and where I stood with it. We, by being honest, are actively validating the proposition that atheism is a viable and healthy alternative to piety.

As for the question of whether religion will disappear: no. I'm not even comfortable in thinking in such absolutes, even if it's about something I thoroughly dislike. My hope, and what I do interpret from my observations, is that a trend will grow toward a general fatigue and disinterest in absolutes and extremism, and cult figures and nationalism, in tribal lizard-brain ideology. That the religion of Karl Marx, the opium of a helpless and resigned people, will vanish as a troubling symptom from an increasingly healthy, practical and humane society.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: latincanuck

Sapient wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

While it might not matter, it is important to note that hundreds have admitted to it, and we think up to 100,000 people or more have either left religion or become much more moderate as a result of our actions. (in 2 years)

Ok let me correct myself, it may not matter if they convert anymore people, however in the end it is not as important as to make oneself be hear, however with that said, the fact that you have shown people the alternative, and that they have been receptive is a great thing. :D 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I think that the actions

I think that the actions of the RRS and other activist groups are already making a difference, but I don't think that spiritual thought will ever go away.

Religious practices based on dogma and revealed religion will---must---go away, I think. If we don't do away with it now (in a nonviolent and civil fashion, of course), then it's not even close to unthinkable that it will do away with us eventually (in a violent and completely uncivil fashion, of course).

It's possible to have secular spirituality, uncontaminated by the mind-warping bullshit that comes with religious dogma. All religions have spirituality because spirituality is very arguably an innately human quality. The problem is that all the religions think they have a monopoly on that quality, just like most of them think they have a monopoly on morals and general goodness.

Religion and spirituality don't have to go away. It's just the current, unreasonable form of religious practice that needs to go away. I agree with what the RRS has said before in that it will probably be accomplished through some kind of ridicule.

Racism still exists today, but it's kept contained by the fact that most of us realize that it's an unreasonable, ignorant, and harmful worldview. We now see racism as contemptible, a bullshit understanding of reality, an antiquated view of the true nature of people that deserves to be ridiculed and scorned.

Revealed religions and their fundamentalist followers should meet the same fate. Obviously religion of some kind will always exist, but hopefully we can force into a container like we did with racism.

I think it can be accomplished because people are reasonable. I believe that everyone is born with enough rationality to reject religion.

If I tell you that there is an invisible serum on your nightstand that, once drank, can make you fly, you will be skeptical.

If I tell you there is a cosmic zombie that wants you to communicate with him telepathically to be forgiven for being related to two nudists who ate magic figs and talked to a snake, you would probably be skeptical.

It's the indoctrination that puts up the roadblock.

One big challenge will obviously be saving future children from being indoctrinated---and in that I can only hope that atheism will become popular enough that it will have more appeal so that Youth Ministers can't prey on them as easily as they have been doing.

Schools will let Youth organizations like Campus Life come into the school and pitch their Jesus spiel to kids as long as the Youth program doesn't associate itself with the school in any way.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some kind of atheism program that did the same thing? That would be fucking beautiful.

Another challenge will be educating people. Teach them what evolution really says. Teach them what Physics really says. Teach them the history of world religions. We obviously won't be able to keep all of God's precious gaps filled in, so that presents a problem.

I'm only pessimistic about this in the sense that I want it all to be accomplished NOW. I'm pessimistic about the present.

I'm hopeful for the future. =) 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: We shall

deludedgod wrote:

So dramatic. When put in these terms conflict is inevitable. It seems to me that human capacity for conflict is a bigger problem than blind theism. 

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that I have an

Now that I have an understanding of the word "laud"  Smiling

Never, never, never give up. - Winston Churchill

That is how I live my life whether it is at work, home or continuing the fight to bring exposure to religions' many crazy beliefs and the infiltration of those beliefs into our lives...think separation of state...my inability to attend a chamber of commerce meeting this month without the mention of "ash wednesday"...

Who really knows if all of our efforts will ever end theism. What is important is that the focus doesn't shift to 'can we do it'? but maintains an even, straight course to what in our minds eye is reaching that goal. Without all of us exposing all the BS that is theism, without us having those tough conversations with our family and friends without all of US keeping a united front with other atheists our "dream" or "goal" has NO hope of being  achieved.

-Renee 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

So dramatic. When put in these terms conflict is inevitable. It seems to me that human capacity for conflict is a bigger problem than blind theism.

The difference between DG's quote and blind theism is that DG is advocating destroying a certain idea. Blind theism tends to advocate destroying the people that hold certain ideas.

Of course that doesn't apply to theists of all varieties, but it's the most immenent danger.

Would the statement seem so "dramatic" to you if "it" was referring to racism?

Of course we must destroy racism.

Theism, especially the blind fundamentalist kind, seems just as harmful to me, and probably to others.

So, yes, it is being challenged just that strongly. But it's being challenged with discourse, not with guns and knives and suicide bombs.

And you're right to point out that the human tendency toward conflict is a problem, but it's just theism's ability to prey on that very human weakness that makes it even more of a problem. No secular ideas exploit that weakness the way religion does. Religion manages to do so with terrible results.  

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:   So,

Archeopteryx wrote:

So, yes, it is being challenged just that strongly. But it's being challenged with discourse, not with guns and knives and suicide bombs.

I'm am cynical enough to think that violence will become part of the discourse at some point. Which of course goes against some of the most important underpinnings of atheism.

Quote:

And you're right to point out that the human tendency toward conflict is a problem, but it's just theism's ability to prey on that very human weakness that makes it even more of a problem. No secular ideas exploit that weakness the way religion does. Religion manages to do so with terrible results.

This remains to be seen. While it is arguably true that secular ideas have not exploited human weakness, we can't really make any claims that it won't happen. Our data set includes only our history and as of the present, there are very few data points that don't include theism.  I tend to believe that as soon as somebody finds a way to expliot people using (or shall I say abusing?) atheism, they will attempt it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Movements dont happen

Movements dont happen overnight, and often take several generations. Considering where atheists were in 2000 and where we are now in 08 is night and day.

I make no ellusions to a utopia being possible. But we can minimize the harm religion does to dividing humanity and the harm it causes to education and we can make our voices heard.

We are succeeding day by day and we are moving forward. None of us can predict any future social climate, but atheists have made great strides in the past 8 years.

It is because of the Atheist Network, American Atheists, AAI, Jake, Reggie, Brian Sapient, Richard Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Downey and right down to all the posters of all these websites and all the people who speak out.

It took ages for women to get the right to vote, it took ages for blacks to end segregation, and it wont happen over night that atheists will be part of the mainstreem. And it definately wont happen if you dont do anything.

Progress is not impossible and I know that in 8 short years the atheist community was not even a blip on the social radar screen, and now we have books on the best seller list, we have a Senator in Congress who is an open atheist.

That is something.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: latincanuck

Sapient wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

While it might not matter, it is important to note that hundreds have admitted to it, and we think up to 100,000 people or more have either left religion or become much more moderate as a result of our actions.  (in 2 years)

And I hope you get a million to listen to reason and rationalism. I hope your great grandchildren would inherit a world free of theocratic dogmatism or dogma of any sort. There are far too many individuals who live with fear and ignorance and are so easily ensnared by religion. And despite the best efforts of RRS, they'll forever remain blinded by their faiths.

I think it's amazing that RRS has reached out to so many and I would never advocate any secular group to halt their efforts. In that regard, I completely agree that RRS has succeeded. Keep up the good work!

Yet on a global scale, I don't see humanity becoming sane in the future. Our innate tendencies towards fear, tribalism, xenophobia and hero worship are directly at odds with rational thought and thus are prone to dogmatism. If I can be convinced that ignorance and stupidity can be truly socially engineered away on massive scale, I'll definitely renounce my pessimism.

You know when I was an intern I saw a guy in the ER who had shoved a light bulb up his ass. The light bulb had shattered and tore his innards. He was convinced by his friends that this was a cool way to derive sexual pleasure. Now unless you can come up with a better analogy, IMO the light bulb represents religion and well over 90% of the earth's population want to shove it up their ass in spite of centuries of rational thought.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm am cynical

Quote:

I'm am cynical enough to think that violence will become part of the discourse at some point. Which of course goes against some of the most important underpinnings of atheism.

Not really. Atheism is just a lack of theistic belief, so such a thing wouldn't exactly be going under its "underpinnings".

It's all well and good to suggest that atheists may eventually become violent toward the religious, but until there is any indication that violence is being inflicted on the religious by atheists BECAUSE OF their atheism, not just alongside it, then I don't really see how this is any more than exactly what you say it is: cynicism. 

Quote:

This remains to be seen. While it is arguably true that secular ideas have not exploited human weakness, we can't really make any claims that it won't happen.

So you're suggesting that we ignore an issue we know causes violence and focus our attention on an issue which may cause violence in the future but hasn't yet given us any indication that it might?

Or are you suggesting that we just fight "conflict" in general? What better way to fight conflict than to pick off its greatest sources? 

Quote:

Our data set includes only our history and as of the present, there are very few data points that don't include theism. I tend to believe that as soon as somebody finds a way to expliot people using (or shall I say abusing?) atheism, they will attempt it.

I can't understand why you would believe that, other than out of the aforementioned cynicism, but you can believe it if you like.

How could someone use secularism/atheism as a justification for violence? Even if you had a situation such as an angry mother beating up another mother out frustration over creation science being presented in the classroom, you couldn't say that the angry mother was "using atheism" to justify her actions.

To suggest that someone could use atheism to justify violent action is the same as suggesting that it's possible to blame ordinary thought---the kind we all possess---for violent action.

I absolutely cannot see how this could make sense without conflating a person's true motivations with atheism, like people seem to be fond of doing with Stalin. 

If you can think of anything, do tell.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Irrational beliefs must be burned to the ground, regardless of how good they make us feel.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: How

Archeopteryx wrote:

How could someone use secularism/atheism as a justification for violence? Even if you had a situation such as an angry mother beating up another mother out frustration over creation science being presented in the classroom, you couldn't say that the angry mother was "using atheism" to justify her actions.

To suggest that someone could use atheism to justify violent action is the same as suggesting that it's possible to blame ordinary thought---the kind we all possess---for violent action.

I absolutely cannot see how this could make sense without conflating a person's true motivations with atheism, like people seem to be fond of doing with Stalin.

If you can think of anything, do tell.

I'm not suggesting that it would make sense. In fact it would be irrational. This the real weak point in the atheist/rationalism movement. People are more inclined to irrationality than rationality. And that being the case, it is only a matter of time until somebody takes advantage of this fact under the guise of atheism. I'd put money on it. I suppose a better word for it would be be anti-theism, but the effect is the same. There are people that get off on being large and in charge and they don't give a rats ass how they get there. 

Your mistake is that because you have come to a rational conclusion that god does not exist that others will also come to that conclusion rationally.  Some, maybe many, will arrive at that conclusion rationally. But if atheism ever reaches a cultural critical mass, it will be appropriated by those who manipulate people's intrinsic irrationality. And those so manipulated will not care or even really be aware of the manipulation. As long as they are fat and heppy, they won't give a shit about it.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Quote: And I hope you get

Quote:
And I hope you get a million to listen to reason and rationalism. I hope your great grandchildren would inherit a world free of theocratic dogmatism or dogma of any sort. There are far too many individuals who live with fear and ignorance and are so easily ensnared by religion. And despite the best efforts of RRS, they'll forever remain blinded by their faiths. I think it's amazing that RRS has reached out to so many and I would never advocate any secular group to halt their efforts. In that regard, I completely agree that RRS has succeeded. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

Quote:
If I can be convinced that ignorance and stupidity can be truly socially engineered away on massive scale, I'll definitely renounce my pessimism.

1. It can happen, we're just extremely far from it.  But simply take Norway and imagine following their lead around the world.  It can happen. 

2. You're better off keeping your pessimism on this one.  But you can at least try while being pessimistic.

The optimist says "the glass is half full," the pessimist says "the glass is half empty," the Rational Response Squad member says "that glass is bigger than it needs to be."

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: People

wavefreak wrote:
People are more inclined to irrationality than rationality.

While presenting the world this way may make someone ponder their own rationality, I think we should not take credit away from us as a society managing to get this far.  Dare I say that if we were actually more inclined to irrationality than rationality, we wouldn't have gotten this far.  I agree we've got massive issues, obviously.  I think we should look at our short history and give ourselves a little credit. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: wavefreak

Sapient wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
People are more inclined to irrationality than rationality.

While presenting the world this way may make someone ponder their own rationality, I think we should not take credit away from us as a society managing to get this far. Dare I say that if we were actually more inclined to irrationality than rationality, we wouldn't have gotten this far. I agree we've got massive issues, obviously. I think we should look at our short history and give ourselves a little credit.

Well I know my life is good. But this world is pretty fucked up. Darfur, Nigeria, Kosovo, Iraq, and many other places are totally wigged out. I have trouble deciding just how "far" we've really come. Sure, I step out of my heated house, drive through the winter weather in comfort, enter my heated office, blah blah, but is it better or just different than living as a subsistence farmer?

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:  I agree

Sapient wrote:

I agree we've got massive issues, obviously. I think we should look at our short history and give ourselves a little credit.

Even the short history demonsates an iconoclastic triumph! RSS deserves more than a "little" credit! I think RSS has acclaimed a monumental achievement towards rational thinking!

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
nullusdeus wrote: Sapient

nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

I agree we've got massive issues, obviously. I think we should look at our short history and give ourselves a little credit.

Even the short history demonsates an iconoclastic triumph! RSS deserves more than a "little" credit! I think RSS has acclaimed a monumental achievement towards rational thinking!

Whoa. RRS is an interesting place with an intruiging mission, but aren't you overstating its contribution to society just a littlle? Those fucking nutcases from Scientology have more influence than RRS. Not that you guys should stop or anything.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

Whoa. RRS is an interesting place with an intruiging mission, but aren't you overstating its contribution to society just a littlle? Those fucking nutcases from Scientology have more influence than RRS. Not that you guys should stop or anything.

RRS has contributed to society. Scientology has not. Are you arguing contribution or influence?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

RRS has contributed to society. Scientology has not. Are you arguing contribution or influence?

Contribution was a poor choice of words. I stand corrected.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

No they are not. I am quite sure, in any given movement, there are entities or individuals who contribute building blocks who actually deserve more credit than the future generations that popularize and build upon it and make a name for themselves.

It was no small contribution to humanity that some ancient human thought of carving the first peice of wood into a wheel, yet we will never know that human's name.

Every bit counts and certainly there were atheists prior to RRS even in the 1800s and skeptic deists in the 1700s that challenged the organized religions and theocracies of those times.

I count too. Not in the sense that my name will be written in history books like Dawkins or Hitchens. I count because I contribute, not because I will or wont be famous. 

I dont think RRS is conflating their name. I think they are focusing on the importance of rational thought replacing superstition.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those fucking nutcases

Those fucking nutcases from Scientology have more influence than RRS. Not that you guys should stop or anything.

True, the " fucking nutcases from Scientology" have more notoriety than RRS because of their predominent Hollywood influence. However, their aren't any other significant contributors like RRS in this arena! 

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

First I just want to clear up than when I said we should "give ourselves a little credit" I was speaking about humanity overall, not just RRS.  I do happen to agree we've (RRS) made massive influence but I wasn't being cocky... this time.

Quote:

They have more money.  If you could find a means of breaking down influence based on amount of money invested in to a cause, I suspect you'd find we are one of the most successful groups out there, and abundantly more successful than scientology.  It is because our views carry more weight than the views of scientologists that we have the capacity to be better at wielding influence with less resources. 

Everything we do is public, and that is because we don't have to hide anything.  Everything they do is behind closed doors, because they have everything to hide.  They buy people or defraud people and in comparison we earn people.(metaphorically speaking)

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: wavefreak

Sapient wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

First I just want to clear up than when I said we should "give ourselves a little credit" I was speaking about humanity overall, not just RRS. I do happen to agree we've (RRS) made massive influence but I wasn't being cocky... this time.

Quote:

They have more money. If you could find a means of breaking down influence based on amount of money invested in to a cause, I suspect you'd find we are one of the most successful groups out there, and abundantly more successful than scientology. It is because our views carry more weight than the views of scientologists that we have the capacity to be better at wielding influence with less resources.

Everything we do is public, and that is because we don't have to hide anything. Everything they do is behind closed doors, because they have everything to hide. They buy people or defraud people and in comparison we earn people.(metaphorically speaking)

I don't hang out here because I think you guys are evil freaks of nature and I like to live on the wild side. I'm impressed how your Alexa ranking keeps creeping up. But social movements are measured in time frames of decades or longer. Don't stop bitch slapping insanity on my account. Just remember that success has a weird way of distorting things. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: But

wavefreak wrote:
But social movements are measured in time frames of decades or longer.

Forgetting for a second that I'm not part of this "movement" crowd, I'll accept the term for purposes of conveying my point based on what I think you're trying to say.  That is that I don't see myself as being part of anything new or something that just started.  I'm not part of something that history has to look back on in 100 years, as what I'm part of has been happening for millenia.

I feel I am part of something that existed before religion, and grew with the foundations of science, and the discoveries that would follow.  If you want to lump me into a movement, it would have to have started at least as far back as Origin of Species.  But like I said, I am merely a cog in a process that has been motoring along since well before religion came about.

Quote:
Just remember that success has a weird way of distorting things. 

So does being slandered and misrepesented dozens of times a day.  I have many pitfalls I need to watch out for, thanks for reminding me.  I'm always analyzing myself, I don't see claims of RRS effectiveness as anywhere near delusional.  We've got hundreds of letters thanking us for helping people overcome the flawed logic they've been taught.  And in terms of effectiveness, that's all I really need.  I could pack up shop and feel I've accomplished something important.  But I'm not packing up... we're just beginning.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: But I'm not

Sapient wrote:

But I'm not packing up... we're just beginning.

Woohooo!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
wavefreak wrote: Sapient

wavefreak wrote:
Sapient wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
nullusdeus wrote:
Sapient wrote:

First I just want to clear up than when I said we should "give ourselves a little credit" I was speaking about humanity overall, not just RRS. I do happen to agree we've (RRS) made massive influence but I wasn't being cocky... this time.

Quote:

They have more money. If you could find a means of breaking down influence based on amount of money invested in to a cause, I suspect you'd find we are one of the most successful groups out there, and abundantly more successful than scientology. It is because our views carry more weight than the views of scientologists that we have the capacity to be better at wielding influence with less resources.

Everything we do is public, and that is because we don't have to hide anything. Everything they do is behind closed doors, because they have everything to hide. They buy people or defraud people and in comparison we earn people.(metaphorically speaking)

I don't hang out here because I think you guys are evil freaks of nature and I like to live on the wild side. I'm impressed how your Alexa ranking keeps creeping up. But social movements are measured in time frames of decades or longer. Don't stop bitch slapping insanity on my account. Just remember that success has a weird way of distorting things.

THAT should explain to you "memes". Just like biological evolution, ideas continue, not because they are really benificial, but because they out market the others.

For over 3,000 years the idea, or "meme" for the Ancient Egyptians was that the sun was a thinking entity(god) involved in the lives of the inhabitants of earth. That meme, was not benificial to the truth of reality and certainly not benifitial to non-Egyptians. It was a missfire that benifited the club of the cheerleaders of that "meme".

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: It was a

Brian37 wrote:

It was a missfire that benifited the club of the cheerleaders of that "meme".

So it's a coincidence that every culture known has had the same theistic misfire? Evolution is brutally efficient. That theism existed in the very earliest of known history suggests that there was an advantage to retaining the concept. But this can quickly turn into a thread hijack, so why don't you go eat a baby?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
wavefreak wrote: Brian37

wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

It was a missfire that benifited the club of the cheerleaders of that "meme".

So it's a coincidence that every culture known has had the same theistic misfire? Evolution is brutally efficient. That theism existed in the very earliest of known history suggests that there was an advantage to retaining the concept. But this can quickly turn into a thread hijack, so why don't you go eat a baby?

I eat barbaqued kittens, not babies. Jeeze, if you are going to demonize me, at least get it right.

Yes, it is a coincidence that dumb ideas outmarket better ideas. Just like a lucky aligator will grab a gazell, only later to give birth to a baby aligator that will be eaten by a snake. 

Theists cant face that life is a crap shoot. Just like humans cant face the fact that cock roaches will most likely out survive the mamailan species. If the planet isnt distoryed by a nuclear war.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
If success is gauged by

If success is gauged by continual consciousness raising, yes I think you'll see plenty more of it. 

If success is the total deconversion of everyone, then no, not in our lifetimes.  We might even crash into the sun first.

However there is a nice compromise a bit lower to reach than ending dogma.  This would be changing the culture of the discussion.  Making sure it's socially acceptable to call out quacks as quacks. 

Converting our tolerance to humanity in general, not belief systems. There's no reason to let batshit claims go by unchecked by us, the media or anyone just because we should be "sensitive" of peoples' silly beliefs.

For example, if we can push creation supporters to the level of wacky conspiracy theorists, I'd be pretty happy. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Evolution is not about

Evolution is not about efficancy, it is about numbers. The more numbers a line has, the more oportunity it has to continue. But it is, just like ideas, not about benifit to the entirety, but about the ability to replicate.

The incidious idea that fair play comes into play with evolution and memes is what screws human's over. It is not that we as congantive beings want to do better, but the fact that we let our egos rule us, rather than going where the evidnence leads us. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I eat

Brian37 wrote:

I eat barbaqued kittens, not babies. Jeeze, if you are going to demonize me, at least get it right.

Sorry. My bad. 'Cept kittens are baby cats, so I was close. 

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: RRS

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
RRS = Evolution , progress , as we want what we want for our selves and our kids and all we are

for this very moment

everyone to ride a sea doo, to have fun

NO! I am not going to ride a sea doo. Not in this dimension!

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon

stuntgibbon wrote:
Converting our tolerance to humanity in general, not belief systems. There's no reason to let batshit claims go by unchecked by us, the media or anyone just because we should be "sensitive" of peoples' silly beliefs.

I agree. Fuck religious political correctness. We need to start asking presidential candidates who claim to be Christians if they also believe that demons can possess a human body. Because all through the New Testament Jesus went around casting out demons everywhere he went.

So doesn't being a Christian also mean you've got to believe in demon possession? I think it goes like this:

Christian = belief in Jesus

Belief in Jesus = belief in demon possession

belief in demon possession = delusion

delusion = batshit beliefs

Therefore, Christian = batshit beliefs

So yeah, I agree that we should not let "batshit claims go unchecked" because then we'll have another U.S. president with batshit claims who is leading a country with batshit beliefs.

And no matter how you look at it, that's fucked up.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even if we don`t succeed.

Even if we don`t succeed. Maybe its the journey and not the destination that matters the most?

I.e. fighting the good fight 

Morte alla tyrannus et dei