[Insert generic indroduction here]

Intangent
Intangent's picture
User is offlineOffline
[Insert generic indroduction here]

Hello, I'm Intangent, my real name is Lukas. I'm 15 years old. I'm a recent "convert" into Atheism. And I StumbledUpon this site, and I just joined. I think the book that really showed me the truth about Religion was "The GOD Delusion".

I love Astronomy, it's my current hobby, and right now, I'm studying to become a Nueroscientist. I'm also a singularitarian.

"Religion is regarded by the common as true, the wise as false and the rulers as useful"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle! WTF

Welcome to the hizzle!

WTF is a Singularitarin?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Intangent!

Welcome, Intangent!

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Singulartarians believe that

Singulartarians believe that we have the capability to create artificial intelligence that surpasses human beings. 

Girl Dancing In...
Girl Dancing In Orbit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi intengent and

Hi intengent and welcome,

Before saying that we can create an AI better than human intelligence, we should perhaps try to understand how human intelligence works, seems to me that we are still far from that... But what do I know ?

Si Dieu existe, c'est Son problème !
If God exists, it's His problem !--Graffiti on the walls of the Sorbonne (France), May 1968
romancedlife.blogspot.com

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Girl Dancing In Orbit

Girl Dancing In Orbit wrote:

Hi intengent and welcome,

Before saying that we can create an AI better than human intelligence, we should perhaps try to understand how human intelligence works, seems to me that we are still far from that... But what do I know ?

We've already accomplished the task to a certain extent. I mean, computers could kick the shit out of our brains in terms of storage and recall, and we've already invented a computer that can beat the best of the best in a chess match.

The trick with the human brain is its versatility and efficiency. We've got computers that can do some pretty rad stuff, but they're big and clunky, and they require a lot of power, and when they're working hard, they get hot as hell, so they need fans and cooling systems and all that. The human brain is just a ball of squish, it's extremely versatile, it doesn't require all that much power to run, and it never overheats. At best, it could be described as pleasantly warm, like the inside of a glove maybe.

So we can already best the human brain when it comes to certain specialized tasks, but the human brain is still way more impressive overall. =)

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Intangent
Intangent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, but I got my belief

Yes, but I got my belief about the Singularity from Ray Kurzweil's books "The Age of Spiritual Machines" (A tad ironic) and "The Singularity is Near"

Very good books. 

"Religion is regarded by the common as true, the wise as false and the rulers as useful"

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums! You

Welcome to the forums! You are studying neuroscience at age 15? Dude, be sure you get out and have a bit of fun with the friends too!  Smiling

-Renee 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Intangent
Intangent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, but I always like

Yeah, but I always like reading too. I want some books on Neuroscience... but they're far and few between. And... I dunno. I prefer solace than being with friends.

Oh, and I was here before I think... the last time I came here I was "Theistical_Evolutionist" on the chat room. I've changed a helluva lot since then. I was only on there twice anyway, so...

If any of you are curious on what the singularity is, and you have the time to go out and buy a book that was recomended to you by a 15 year old that you just met over the internet, buy "The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology" by Ray Kurzweil. He's the co-founder of "Kurzweil Keyboards" and a brilliant scientist. His previous works have been quite accurate so far.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't start with 

I wouldn't start with  Neuroscience books right away, I'd start with chemistry and biology books, to lay down the foundation.